Start by marking “Rattlebone Rock” as Want to Read:

And bats swoop down.
The BOOMA beat echoes
All through the town.
Witches and goblins
Make the tombstones Knock.
It's time to dance
To the Rattlebone Rock!
Published September 30th 1997 by HarperTrophy (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rattlebone Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rattlebone Rock

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SPOOKTACULAR fun!
Lauri Meyers
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rocking rhythm, unforced rhymes, and funky onomatopoeia make this read-aloud a joy. Classic halloween characters in not-too-scary illustration fill the pages. Simple story arc with a satisfying ending.
Kathryn Cunningham
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
When goblins, skeletons, witches, a banshee, and all the other graveyard ghouls have an all night party, the Booma-Boom and Rappa-Tap beat shakes the whole town. Even the mayor comes out to boogie to that irresistible syncopating rhythm. The clever rhymes and catchy rhythms of this adorable story will have you Clacka-Clacking and Shousha-Shapping all night long with the bats and owls.

I picked up this book at the library in honor of Halloween, and I loved it. My biggest issue with rhyming picture
Asho
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My son randomly picked this book out at the library and he LOVES it. He has made his Dad or me read it to him at bedtime every night for at least a week now. The rhythm of the poetry in this book is awesome. It has a great syncopated beat that enables you to sing the entire book. I would always start by saying, "Booma-boom, Booma-boom, Booma-boom" and tapping the rhythm on the floor with my hands, and then my toddler would join in with the tapping. Then periodically throughout the book I'd go ba ...more
Lain
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Hands-down, this is the absolute best Halloween book for young children. We bought this when it first came out in 1997, and it still has an honored spot on our shelves. Every year, we pull it out and revel in the fanciful pictures, catchy rhymes, and joy of the season.

We started reading this when my son was only a few months old, and now that he's almost 9, it's still a favorite -- and our younger two kids love it just as much. Don't miss this book!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Groovy percussive repetition and rhyme with ghoulishly fun illustrations make this a Hallowe’en must. You’ll be chanting it in your sleep — and loving it!

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Jen
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great Halloween book that my oldest picked out at the library during our last visit! He's a Halloween baby, so he loves anything that talks about Halloween. This is a must have for my school library! Can't wait to order it!
Aleece
A great Halloween story that continues to grow when you read it. Kids can participate too with making the sounds that the skeletons and witches make.

I like how the book rhymes and it is fun and has lots of sounds that kids can participate in.
Cheryl M.
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
I love reading this to the 2nd graders. They like to "echo" the sounds the creatures make--I say "boo a boo", they say "boo a boo". Great
syncopated beat which they love. I also like that it makes dancing in the graveyard sound like a fun party instead of something to be afraid of.
Ally Stbm
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book!! a fantastic children's book. highly enjoyable for both child and adult!
Tiffany
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, holidays
As a teacher this was my favorite Halloween book to read to the kids. It has a sing songy rhyme through the book that the kids just love!
Mary
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent rhythm and rhyme - great for getting kiddos to get up and boogie. :)
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found this at the dollar store, and it was a bargain! It's a fun Halloween rhyme, with zany illustrations. My kids request it.
Eliana
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun rhyming story that we read to a beat in our house. My daughter loves all things Halloween, so it's a hit here.
Marie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This musical, rhyming story in the form of a song takes place in a graveyard with various spooky and creepy characters. Eventually, friendly more familiar animals and people join in as well, to join the celebration and dance that lasts all night.  It is a fun, musical book with a great syncopating beat and high entertainment value, recommended for children ages 3-8.
Marianne