Start by marking “Get Your War On: The Definitive Account of the War on Terror 2001-2008” as Want to Read:
Get Your War On: The Definitive Account of the War on Terror 2001-2008

Get Your War On: The Definitive Account of the War on Terror 2001-2008

(Get Your War on)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Since October 9, 2001, when David Rees posted eight comic strips on his website and called it Get Your War On, tens of millions of people have been entertained and horrified by his clip-arty office workers and their vociferous and profane commentary on the so-called War on Terror. From the first few days of Operation Enduring Freedom to the overhyped pseudo-success of the ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Soft Skull Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Get Your War On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Your War On

Rich
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
HURRAH! Read it just in time for the upcoming elections and debates, where Republican Toolism is still on display proudly and stupidly!

Rees touches on things you may have forgotten in the Wall of Patriotism that was thrown at us after the towers fell. The abuse of civil liberties, the rush to privatization, the insane hypocrisies of the "Operation: Enduring Freedom" (or as one character calls it in the very first comic "Operation: Enduring Our Freedom to Bomb the Living Fuck Out of You"), all th
Adam
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David Rees' strip was a little burst of lacerating criticism and subversive sanity in the time before War on Terror-themed dissent became widespread. I liked it then, but was surprised by how impactful it still felt in 2014. The anthology format works well, emphasizing the crushing redundancy, the tragic repetition of miscreants making miscalculations, the folly of the clip art protagonists wearing their Santa hats year after year after year while we and our war blunder on.
Steve
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Scatheing, foul-mouthed assessment of the Iraq War cum Afghanistan War and (generally) the "War on Terror" done with mid-seventies clipart and Helvetica. Equal parts funny and pathetically sad; ultimately absolutely FUCKING BRILLIANT!
Morgan
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious yet also maddening as you remember all of the horrible things that happened from 2001 to 2008.
John
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So funny, and sad, and angry-making.

If you're not going to pick up the book, flick through them on the internet http://www.mnftiu.cc/category/gywo/wa...
Tracy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, rereads
Oof.
John
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Has it really been so long? My friends are feeling a little weighed down by current events, the toxicity of the daily news sapping their Purity Of Essence. It is a refreshing tonic to remember how insane things used to be, and how crazy they stayed for so long. Rees is living in a world of language gone mad and rages against that as much as the events the diplomatic turns of phrase aimed to sanitize. Taibi makes much of this in a very smart introduction that is a brave attempt to say that Bush D ...more
Andrew Kline
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A thorough, funny, and honest account of the War on Terror. I laughed as often as I shuttered in painful remembrance. I was in high school and college during the duration of this comic, so I didn't really make a point of reading the news, and there were occasionally names and events I don't remember, but it doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the comic. The tone varies between frustration, anger, disillusionment, and complete resignation, but it is able to maintain humor and never fee ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Just got a copy of this. I remember reading these strips 2001-2005 or so and feeling like it was one tiny, hilarious voice of sanity in the sordid morass of the times. Today some of them read as rather dated; they were very topical and precisely attuned to what was being reported in the news at the moment. But still I'm glad to have it. As far as I'm concerned, it's an important historical document, and that's not low praise for a web comic.

Also, this edition contains a fantastic, biting introdu
Susan (the other Susan)
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-twenty
"You know who I've really come to like all this? John Ashcroft. The guy just gives me a good feeling.... Man, these are some strong anti-depressants I'm taking!"

In "Get Your War On," writer-comedian David Rees wrapped our pain in laughter. Brilliant, tragic, devastatingly funny and so terribly sad. Like Garry Trudeau's "Doonesbury" during the Vietnam and Watergate years, this anthology will be relevant for decades to come - because we'll still be living the repercussions of the horrors and the h
Zedsdead
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Borrowed from Tim
Clip-art office drones talk on the phone, with the same half dozen illustrations used again and again. An exuberant, profane, funny critical depiction of America's response to 9/11.

I enjoy GYWO, but I'd previously read a better, abridged collection. This more comprehensive volume gets repetitive.

The introduction was a little irritating as it relied on a host of logical fallacies to make its case.
Andrew
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I missed these comics the first time around, and I'm glad to have read them, but readers should be prepared to relive all the misery and stupidity of Bush-era foreign policy. This is an important document of its times that's often more "angry" than "funny."
Neil
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Biting and hilarious satire of the war on terror/iraq/afghanistan during the Bush years. Not to be missed!
Caleb Clark
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This shit is fucking funny man. most ingenious use of stock art I have ever seen.
Fabian
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This really is the definitive account of the War on Terror, which, unfortunately, I took part in. Brilliantly insightful, and had me laughing out loud.
Celeste
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hilarious and depressing!
Jason
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
My only complaint is that this series ended with the election of Obama in 2008, while the War on Terror [sic] is still with us.
Caleb
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't mind lots and lots of swearing
Shelves: comic-strips
Not really a graphic novel, but more of one than the other categories I created.
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brutally funny, angry, incisive. Probably not for everyone.
Burgersub
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Expresses my outrage and weariness of the last seven years more clearly and sarcastically than I ever could have.
Molly
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I read some of this in real time online, but it was interesting to re-read it with the hindsight that four more years removed gives you.
Bek
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe you can be this scathing and vulgar, but still this clever and intelligent... all in one.
Len
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This might end up dated in a couple years, so read it now while the jokes still sting. At the very least, this is a reminded of the 'what the...??' reactions from the Bush years.
Zak
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I almost forgot how messed up 8 years of the Bush administration made everyone. What crazy times those were. Thanks for reminding me of some of those amazing moments.
Katia
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Reminds me that I need to be feeling even more moral and intellectual superiority over the sheep who removed their brains during the last 8 years.
April Como
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hi-lar-i-ous!!!! Definitely not for the easily offended, or for extreme conservatives!
Autumn
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bitter, funny, and horrifying. Just like the Bush years. Highly recommended.
John Lee
Jan 16, 2015
Moby-Nostromo
Aug 29, 2016
Sean
Sep 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations
  • Labor's Untold Story: The Adventure Story of the Battles, Betrayals and Victories of American Working Men and Women
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Martyrs
  • American Hero
  • Years of Upheaval
  • Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy
  • The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
  • His Kisses Are Dreamy-- But Those Hairballs Down My Cleavage--!: Another Tender Outland Collection
  • Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War
  • Zolar's Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge
  • The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 2: From the Bastille to Baghdad

David Thomas Rees is a cartoonist and humorist whose best-known work combines bland clip art with outrageous "trash talk" to incongruous effect.

Get Your War on (3 books)
  • Get Your War On