Start by marking “H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)” as Want to Read:
H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)

H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Book by Edginton, Ian
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 70 pages
Published April 19th 2006 by Dark Horse (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

Fred Hughes
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always a pleasure reading these interpretations and graphic novel take on classic science fiction
Michael
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: loeg-archives
Well drawn, but the script felt vague and a little shallow. Perhaps I'd have more of an impression if I'd ever read the original story, but all I know is various cartoon and genre fiction homages to Wells' story.
Frank Racz
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For me what makes a really good graphic novel are the illustrations. Being a reader who has focused primarily upon literature in the past I find the heavily abridged text in graphic novels to require some getting used to. At this stage in my graphic novel reading career I focus on the "graphic" aspect of these books.

This rendition of the H.G. Wells book is a title practically anyone would be familiar with. I may have come across this book in my youth in the form of an abridged young adult versi
Tricia
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this right after finishing The War of the Worlds (in ebook and print, depending on whether or not we had electric lights that night!). Sometimes they were using direct quotes, but mostly it was adaptation. That was fine, except it wasn't clear when you were getting the brother's perspective. I understand that they would have to condense some of the storyline to fit within this format, but some of the timeline changes seemed unnecessary. On the positive side, much of the objectionable soci ...more
Luke
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Artur Coelho
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ian Edginton assina uma fiel adaptação da obra clássica de Wells, sem desvios à obra original. O ilustrador D'Israeli acompanha o argumento com um estilo gráfico ainda algo incipiente, a misturar fin de siècle com steampunk mas com pouco investimento em detalhe ou concretização visual do mundo ficcional da obra. Notável por ter sido criada como webcomic e depois levada a publicação em livro, esta graphic novel foi o ponto de partida para a série Scarlet Traces onde Edginton explora um mundo pós- ...more
Kaffa
Dec 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible-books
"Hey, I've got a good idea!" The book company owner said to his little artist, "let's repackage a timeless classic and make it a seventy page comic book for kiddies!"

The Artist grinned a horrific grin, "Wowee, that's a great way to reel in the dough!"

And thus began the creation of this waste of natural resources. Ruining one of H. G. Wells' greatest achievements. It's sad that the illiteracy of America has lowered to such a degree that we now need to repackage classics into comic books. I advise
Kaethe
In some regards, Wells is a horrible writer. Much of the action takes place offstage and has to be reported to us. Gratuitous coincidences. A weird love/hate relationship with humanity and the future.

Since by now the story is old hat, I don't really have anything to say about that. Edginton's graphics do give the material a fresh feeling. The images of devastation bring back a little of the power the work must once have held. I particularly liked the wounded face of our hero for keeping the pain
Derek Royal
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I knew that Ian Edginton has done a lot of adaptation work in comics, but I had never read this one before. He and D'Israeli do a great job of translating this classic story to comics form. And interestingly enough, this was created after the original sequel to Wells's tale, Scarlet Traces. We're having Edginton on the interview show, so I wanted to get several works of his under my belt that I hadn't previously been familiar with.
Mike
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nicely done. D'israelis illustrations are superb. Probably my favorite rendition of the Martian tripod machines. The adaptation is true to the original, hitting all the important points of the plot. Edginton has resisted the urge to tinker with Wells' plot, as some other adaptors have done, letting the original speak for itself.

I also highly recommend Scarlet Traces, Edginton and D'Israeli's sequel to War of the Worlds.
Chunkymonkey12
aliens come to attack the earth becuase thier home an planet mars is coming to an end and they need a newer, better place to live:
Thirty-five million miles into space, a species of martians sets eyes on planet Earth. With thier own planet doomed for destruction, the Martians prepare to invade.Thier weapons are ready and thier aim is ruthless.
The war of the worlds are about to begin.
Landry F.
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. Having seen the movie and read the book this g rapid novel just put those to things together in to one hard cover. I recommend this for people who like comic books to fantasies. This book is just all around great. If I could I would give it two thumbs up.
Peacegal
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The story we all know gets the graphic novel treatment. I always felt WOTW was a fine example that humanity's most dreaded fears center around the idea that someone else will do to us what we have done to so much other life here on Earth.
Jessica Hollo
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Style of the graphics fits the style of the original book well...gritty, blocky colors. Not how I pictured the martians, though.
It really was just okay, nothing special, read the actually book, and let your imagination do better.
David Loewen
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
How could Wells describe laser weapons in relatively accurate detail more than 60 years before they were invented? Pretty far-fetched, but amazing for when it was written..
Donna  S
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This months selection for the other book club I'm in. I probably wouldn't have finished it except we lost our power for 2 nights and my kindle has a light.
David Bales
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing artwork in this graphic novel. A brilliant depiction of the H.G. Wells book, and it continues on in a new series.
Muireann
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013, comics
Not even half as good as their own stories which were homage/sequels to the HG Wells original.
Will
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the artwork. Beautifully rendered.
Jess
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very gory graphics of a classic. Older teens would love it. It was better than the Tom Cruise flick. Of course, what could be worse than that movie? The only good thing was Dakota Fanning.
Jeff
Mar 14, 2008
Mac
Nov 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49