Start by marking “The Darkest Star (Origin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Star (Origin, #1)

The Darkest Star

(Origin #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  10,530 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews
When seventeen-year-old Evie Dasher is caught up in a raid at a notorious club known as one of the few places where humans and the surviving Luxen can mingle freely, she meets Luc, an unnaturally beautiful guy she initially assumes is a Luxen...but he is in fact something much more powerful. Her growing attraction for Luc will lead her deeper and deeper into a world she'd ...more
Published October 30th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Star, please sign up.
Yasamin You can, even JLA states that you can. HOWEVER, there will be spoilers about the Lux series in this book! If you plan on never reading the Lux series …moreYou can, even JLA states that you can. HOWEVER, there will be spoilers about the Lux series in this book! If you plan on never reading the Lux series (which I recommend you do) then go ahead and read this. But trust me when I say this, the Lux series is sooooo worth the read. You will get a way better understanding of everything.(less)
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,196 books — 4,757 voters
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,051 books — 5,500 voters

More lists with this book...

·  10,530 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Star (Origin, #1)
Alen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alien, young-adult
OMFG

OH MY FUCKING GOD

ASDFGHJKLCXVSUJDG CFWAKYFUKwahgsdfihIAVISO

GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY

YES BITCH YES

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!

SWEET LUXEN/ORIGIN ASS

UPDATE

Oh man, I've had to delete my previous updates cause I've just finished reading TDS and I have to say....it did not meet my expectations...

UPDATE PART 2:

I'm glad to have read this one, Luc has been my main boy for a lonnng time. It was so emotional to see some of the characters from the Lux series, especially Daemon, it made me feel extremely
megs_bookrack
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
We were all dark stars, but Luc...he was the darkest.

The Darkest Star is the first book in a new YA-series written by Jennifer L. Armentrout. If you are not aware, this is a spin-off from her hugely popular Lux series.

Hold on to your hats Ladies & Gents because I have a confession to make:

I have not read the Lux series!!!

Yes, it's true. I went into this having never actually read a Jennifer L. Armentrout book and having no idea what the Luxen were all about.

I was most pleasantly surprised!

I
jessica
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
i swear, JLAs writing is t i m e l e s s. five years have passed between the last lux book and this one (a spin-off), but it honestly feels as if JLA never took a break.

i know that some readers may not enjoy that, as i have seen more than one person say that ‘this story is stuck in the past.’ but for me, the storytelling in this is reminiscent of everything i love about the lux series and so much even more. i love that JLA hasnt changed her writing style and remained faithful to everything that
Candace Robinson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I heard one of my favorite side characters ever, Luc, was getting a spinoff series I was so freaking ecstatic. He was just so weirdly awesome in the Lux series.

As with any Armentrout book, there was incredible angst, swoon, and action. But what I loved here was the story. There were some great twists. One I knew super early on, and I was so excited about it!

Luc is seriously the best character. His shirts are awesome, his attitude is awesome, and his fight for things he loves is awesome! The
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🦇 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2018 Reading Challenge for the category of: A romance about aliens 🦇

This author's Lux series is basically what launched her from quiet indie author cult status to mainstream publication fame. A lot of my friends enjoy both her young adult paranormal romances and her contemporary new adult romances, so I was curious to pick something of hers up and see if I liked it. After picking up T
Wendy Higgins
Two thumbs up and all the stars - I can't wait for all of the Lux Army to be back in this story world!
TheBibliotheque ♡
“I’ve wanted this for forever”

Haven’t we all, though? HAVEN’T WE?

It does feel like centuries have passed since I first learned that JLA was planning on releasing a Lux spin-off series. And well, let’s just say that I thought I wouldn’t survive the anticipation. But here I am, still alive and now thinking of how I am going to make it until the moment I am finally holding book #2 into my cute grabby hands.

Because, guys, The Darkest Star was glorious.

Going back to the Lux universe was like waking
Kat Valentine
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What fabulously written tale!! This is such a beautiful story,when evie and her best friend heidi go to the night club foretoken her life and all she knows will change when she meets luc. At first evie thinks he's One of the luxen who are aliens who once tried to take over the world,but their's something more different about luc then just his purple eyes,theirs the feeling of a connection when their eyes meet and though evie is drawn to luc, something inside her is warning her to leave and forge ...more
Nazanin
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2 Stars

DNF @ 55%

I’m a HUGE fan of this author and LOVED her “Lux” and “Covenant” series, among her other books! But this one was a bit similar to the Lux series with more action (considering her Lux series was so so much better, IMO)! It was a bit repetitive and it fell flat for me! My other issue was I couldn’t connect with MCs and feel their connections! Maybe it was just me so don’t listen to me and read it, hope you enjoy it!
Sophia Triad
Luc! LUC!?!
Yes, Luc has a book!

“I came here to hang out with my friend. That’s all I’m doing. It has nothing to do with you.”
“Everything has to do with me.”
I blinked once and then twice, waiting for him to laugh, but when he didn’t, I realized I’d officially met the most arrogant being on this planet.

Luc is back and he is an unbelievably out of this world male. As usual.

“Okay. You just took creepy to a creeptastic level of unknown proportions.”

Only this time he has grown up. And he is interest
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Loved the story

I read the first Lux book a while ago and liked it but never got around to reading any others in the series. This one is a spin-off series and can be read without reading any of the others. The plot is intricate and well written. I liked all the mystery surrounding Evie’s life even though some of it is fairly obvious pretty early on.

Luc is a great guy all around, he is protective of Evie, he is sweet to her and he wants to spend time with her, even if she doesn’t invite him. The
✨ A ✨
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Read the Lux series first
There's just something about Jennifer L Armentrout's books that are so damn addictive. I don't know how she does it.

To be honest it's not like her plots are very original but she writes in a way that's just SO EFFORTLESS. She is the queen of banter and charming male MC's.

I read the JLA's Lux Series many years ago and enjoyed them so much. The Darkest Star, and in extension the Origin Series, is a spin off of those books. The craziest part of reading the Darkest Star was that it felt like JLA p
chan ☆
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
fun, nostalgia filled YA

full disclosure: i didn't read JLA growing up. not sure if she was after my time or what but the few things i've read from her in adulthood really bring me back to middle school and early high school. slightly naive heroines, flirty protective bad boys, lots of melodramatic plot twists.

i didn't feel strongly for any of the characters, which seems to be par for the course for JLA books. but i do think that over the course of a series, i'd probably develop an attachment to
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
The Darkest Star was breathtakingly emotional! It was swoon worthy and filled with action, banter, love, friendships, lies and deceit. This book pulled me right in from the start and held me in its clutches till that last page. I was beyond lost to the world around me and I couldn't be happier because this was my most anticipated book of the year. It more than lived up to my expectations. Seriously. My mind was blown and I loved every single tiny detail. I'm happy to say that The Darkest Star i ...more
Jennifer Kyle
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars ⭐️

“Are you freaking kidding me? Is there not a single person around me who hasn’t lied to me?
Dianne
Evie was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the police raid that took place was the least of her worries when she catches the eye of the mysterious Luc and no matter how hard she tries, he catches her heart. The man she thought was a Luxen was so much more, so much deeper and so much more terrifyingly powerful and he knows things he shouldn’t, he couldn’t, and yet…

THE DARKEST STAR proves Jennifer L. Armentrout is back as just as fabulously creative as she takes us back to the world of Lux
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

"Sometimes the truth is worse than a lie."

Evie is a teenage girl who follows her friend to a club called Forsaken, a club where anyone is welcome, including other species like the Luxen. When the club is raided, Evie finds herself in the hands of Luc, a mysterious not quite human, not quite Luxen man. The more she gets to know him, the more secrets are revealed to her, ones she never expected to find out.

"This was how I figured most horror films started out, but in for a penny, in
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Live amazon https://www.amazon.com/Darkest-Star-O...

4-4,5 stars

This was one of my highly anticipated books of the year.I was so excited to be back in this world, one of my favorite worlds from Jennifer L Armentrout.I really enjoyed The Darkest Star, it has a brilliant story line and the characters were lovable.

description

“Sometimes the truth is worse than the lie.”

So many thing happening in this story that you'll never get bored.It's fast paced,funny,sweet and there is a little bit mystery.I was intrigued
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

“There's nothing we can do other than live with the promise of tomorrow while knowing it may not come.”

Thank you Netgalley and Tor Teen for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Now, I requested this book without realizing that it was a sort of spin-off. So when I realized I had a mini freak out. But as I started reading it the story really was clear for me even though I hadn't read The Lux series (which I will be reading soon).

The book had me entertained from the very first
Davina Herondale
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-favorites
16. October 2018

*I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book via netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I've never put song recommendations in my reviews but there are two songs that keep popping into my head for this book and whenever I hear them I think of this book (or the series as a whole) and I get the biggest smile on my face.

The series song is Vegas Lights by Panic! at the Disco

The song for this book specifically is 1000000000% Nicotine by Panic! at the Disco.
Sabrina
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Lux Series is one of my favorites series of all time, so for loving the world so much, I’m going to give this one a shot, although I don’t believe it will surpass my love for the LS.
And it didn’t.

3.5/5 ★

“Goodness, those were totally kissable lips. Not that I was thinking about kissing him or anything; it was just a pure, clinical observation that anybody in my situation would make.”

One thing that I know that I can always count on on Jennifer L. Armentrout books is the humor.
Roobie
⭐️4 stars⭐️

It still amazes me. The whole thing. Like how all the basic human rights can be stripped away, but because you have a bed, a room, and food on your plate, you don’t even realize you have no rights.

I'm a big JLA fan and I really liked the Lux series so I might be a bit biased when it comes to this but it felt so good being back in that world! We got even more things explained in this book and really liked that.
I was always a fan of Luc so of course I was excited to read his
Rylee Richard
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I confess, this was my first Jennifer Armentrout book. I was unfamiliar with Luxen (alien race), and went in to this book blind to her world building. But I found prior knowledge of the world to be completely unnecessary. If you have an Armentrout curiosity, you can begin here.

Overall

It feels like a romance from the get-go. Instant palpitating chemistry with tall, dark and dangerous. It screams indulgence. I’d knock it, but everyone needs a little indulgence on occasion. At least that’s what tho
Claire Robinson
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "Sometimes the truth is worse than the lie…" Stars!

Any book that takes me back to the Lux universe, makes me happy, and Luc and Evie’s story was a really great return. Although to be honest, anything that gives me a little more page time with my favourite alien ever; Damon Black is generally going to make me happy.

"You don’t fit in here…"

Filled with the usual twists and turns that Armentrout’s YA series generally carry, and a blossoming sexual tension between the leads The Darkest Star was t
Jasmine
Ugh. This book is way too short!!!!!! I seriously can't get enough of Luc and Evie. O_O

Before I come up with something for this review, go read this amazing Lux series spin-off, guys!!!

(From: Book+Main)
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (Yes, you read that right!)

ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Before I get into the pros and cons of this book, I just wanted to start off by saying that while I clearly enjoyed reading this, it wasn't perfect! (Not that any book really is). I decided to give this author a second chance, because I read (or started to read the Lux series a while back, and at the time it wasn't really my cup of tea). I feel like this is very much a gui
Maria...
"3 Stars"

I'm going to start this review by saying that I L.O.V.E the "Lux" series! Daemon is amazing! So when I finished this series I wanted more and more, you know! And Luc was one of the characters that needed to be micro analyzed by me! I adored his sparkling personality, so when I saw that he was getting his own book I was freaking out! There wasn't a gif to describe the madness I felt when Luc and previous and new characters were coming back. So the gifs below kind of describe me! :p

Now
Emma
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Darkest Star was definitely one of my most anticipated Fall releases and I’m so happy I got the opportunity to read it before its official release date.

I read the original Lux series years ago and I completely loved it, so I was very eager to be back in the Lux universe to discover more about Luc’s story and life after the invasion.

The beginning of the book was a little bit chaotic,
Sheharzad ⚘
Dec 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: asap, ya-paranormal
we have a cover! it's the quintessential YA cover plucked straight from the early 2010s, and i kind of dig it ツツツ

----

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DO YOU HEAR ME CRYING?!!

description

SDKJHVSDDS OH MY GOODDD. NO ONE TOUCH ME.

description

A. WHOLE. NEW. SERIES. BASED OFF THE LUX SERIES!!!!!!!

JLA IS MY QUEEEEN™ I CAN'T WAAAAIT FOR THIS 💖💖 I literally have tears in my eyes 😭😭

description

I better not die before this series ends bc 2018 never looked so. damn. good. KJAHSDGFDSJHG

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Opposition
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Scorched (Frigid, #2)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Frigid (Frigid, #1)
  • Origin
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Fall with Me (Wait for You, #4)
  • Be with Me (Wait for You, #2)
  • Stay with Me (Wait for You, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Soul in Darkness
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo

Origin (3 books)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • The Brightest Night (Origin, #3)