Start by marking “Another Place” as Want to Read:
Another Place

Another Place

A small town. A missing schoolgirl. A terrible secret. And one girl's fight to survive.

Sixteen-year-old Claudette Flint is coming home from hospital after an escalating depression left her unable to cope. Released into the care of her dad, she faces the daunting task of piecing herself back together.

She may look unchanged; but everything's different. The same could be sa
Published October 3rd 2017 by Atom

To ask other readers questions about Another Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Place

Maddie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ukya
I think I need more time to think about how truly great this book was, because I'm sitting on the fence between a four and five star rating. It was just so REAL. 'Another Place' is Matthew Crow's second book and it's miles better than 'In Bloom', which just felt like it was trying to be the UK's answer to 'The Fault in Our Stars'.

The writing was well executed, flipping seamlessly between the past and present to give you an idea of the relationship Claudette had with Sarah. The character descrip
Rosanna Threakall
Easily one of the best books I've read this year.
Chiara
Nov 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
The one star is for the pretty cover.
David Owen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anybody who has read 'In Bloom', Matthew Crow's previous book, will know he's a beautiful, truthful writer. 'Another Place' is further testament to that fact.

It is by turns gorgeous, tough, heartbreaking, funny, and shocking. It's refreshing to read a book featuring depression and mental illness that not only *gets it*, but is about someone familiar, almost comfortable with their illness, someone who is doing their best to rebuild themselves and find a way to live with it.

The characters are viv
Mary
Aug 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I liked this plot. I hated the main characters - all of them. Some of the plot made zero sense. Was hard to follow at times. Idk - maybe not the author for me?
Karenza
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't really connect with Claudette and honestly I felt like this story was so miss matched with different storylines, there wasn't one clear thing that happened.
Charlotte
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok

*This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

The story follows a teenage girl called Claudette who returns home after a hospital stay for her mental illness and learns that her fellow classmate, Sarah, has gone missing. As part of her recovery, Claudette’s therapist has instructed her to set herself goals, no matter how small. Claudette decides her goal for the summer is to find Sarah.

Another Place fell very short for me. I expected it to be a great mystery novel
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Dreadful. Not worth a review.
Jessica Tindall
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because I felt it describes what depression and mental illness would feel like. I really liked the little gems of wisdom that each of her support people gave her. I loved learning through this character as she went on her journey of discovering what her own strength is and how she can focus her outcome differently. It has a lot of inner world reflecting the outer world themes and lessons.
Jessica Connelly
3.5 stars.
I enjoyed this book. I liked the bluntness of Claudette and Mr Fitzpatrick. The characters felt real and I enjoyed their quips. It was refreshing especially when dealing with a topic such as depression. The setting with its background characters reminded me of my hometown which is probably why I personally didn't give it a higher score and that at times I didn't like Claudette. Overall its a solid book with a relatively engaging plot especially towards the end.
Ellen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was strange and a bit ridiculous lol. The writing was littered with clunky sentences and odd phrasing for things. It wasn’t necessarily bad, but it was a bit unsatisfactory
Miss Jith
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm just not sure I enjoyed this as much as I expected to. Didn't really like the characters that much - felt a bit like most of them could do with more development.
Aoife
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
It made no Sense
Amy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
crow!!
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
★✩✩✩✩

another place is by no means a bad book, merely disappointing. i picked it up mainly due to the lack of any semblance of badly-written teenage romance in the description. to give the book some credit, there was no partaking in any awful romantic inclinations for the main character — unsurprising, really, considering claudette may well be one of the worst main characters i've ever had the displeasure to journey through a book with.

i think, unfortunately, claudette is the main reason this boo
Anne
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Place by Matthew Crow was published in paperback on 3 August 2017 by Atom.

Another Place is a book targeted at a Young Adult market. I am not a Young Adult. I haven't been a Young Adult for many many years. However, I am a huge fan of Matthew Crow. His last YA book, In Bloom remains one of my all time favourite books, I read and reviewed it here on Random Things back in 2013.

The sign, for me, of a great book, one that I have loved and enjoyed, is the number of folded back page corners in
Hannah
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Judging by the blurb, I really thought I'd like this book. A character who was just coming out of hospital after escalating depression left them unable to cope, a mystery in the hometown and a town who have no idea - about anything. But, the story fell really flat for me and was honestly incredibly boring.

Another Place follows the story of Claudette, a teenager who has just come out of hospital after her depression causes her to become a risk to herself. Shortly before she's home she learns of t
Sigourney
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Received from NetGalley for review.

Even though I lost interest half-way through, Another Place is by no means a bad book; Matthew Crow has written about a teenage girl with depression with incredible realism and sensitivity, and does not shy away from the unpleasantness of it all. Although I found the actual plot too slow, I can only applaud Crow’s writing and the way he crafts his characters – every character was well-developed and had a unique voice, everyone had a purpose and some
Katie Hurse
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, firstly, do not let this book's beautiful front cover fool you: this story was seriously dark, much more so than I expected!! Secondly, the plot is hella similar to that of Lauren Oliver's Vanishing Girls (and vice versa, of course). Like I said in another recent review, I feel like I'm just getting bored of these stories about beautiful, troubled girls going missing...anyone else??
I'm definitely conflicted. I certainly preferred this story to Matthew Crow's In Bloom - for the most part, o
Charlotte
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Place is Matthew Crow’s second book, and he is quickly establishing himself as a British author intent on writing beautifully honest YA fiction.

The story follows seventeen year old Claudette who has just returned home from hospital after her depression got out of her hands, to learn that one of her fellow classmates, Sarah, has gone missing. Claudette lives in a small town, and everyone wants to know what happened to Sarah, but no one it seems more than Claudette.

Flipping between the p
Sally
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant work from Matthew Crow. This novel had elements that reminded of Kevin Brooks' Black Rabbit Summer (one of my all time favourite authors) and had some of the most well written descriptions of living with depression I've ever read.
Claudette had returned home at the start of the book after a stay in hospital due to a massive manic episode she experienced at school. Her Dad is a solid rock for her and helps fight her corner in getting her back into school and into some kind of rou
Alexandra Nunney
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was expecting to think this book was alright, meaning I didn't go in with high expectations.
I'd never read anything by the author before or even heard of them (not a subtle barb) and I bought the book because it was cheap, had a pretty cover and based on the synopsis I was pretty confident that I'd think it was, as I said, alright.
I was pleasantly surprised. Things didn't happen quite the way I expected them to, while I didn't like all the characters (you're not supposed to) they were for the
Sophia Tranter
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Eve beinguniquebooks
Claudette has bipolar one and after release from her section she finds that her distant friend Sarah has gone missing. Sarah grew up not knowing a true home as she grew up in care.

The streets are tough and we soon learn Sarah was mixed up in something bigger than herself. As Claudette focuses on Jacob, a photographer, Ross a local lad and Dan a dangerous individual whom many owe things too, she sets about discovering the truth of what happened to Sarah and if she's alive or dead.

It's gripping an
Darci Simmons
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fiction, mental-health
Another Place wasn't good, but it wasn't bad.

This book had no idea what it wanted to be. A mental health novel? A mystery/ crime? Who knows? It was supposed to be both, and it kind of worked, but it felt forced.

This book wasn't edited very well. There were multiple inconsistencies (a dog suddenly was a kitten), and missing words here and there. The writing is good for the most part. It can be a little slow, but the imagery was great. There were many good quotes and sentiments within the book.

O
Beth
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was one of those books that I kept on the side and read a chapter here and there when I had the time.

It didn't completely take me in, it wasn't a book I felt inclined to sit and read until it was finished because of how good it was.

To me, if felt kind if average. The beginning was strong, it had a great premise and was very promising. The middle was average, and I lost a lot of interest when reading it. And the ending, well that was just a let down. Finding out about Sarah's death was suc
Alice
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thia gets 4 stars on account of its amazingly accurate descriptions of mental illness and life in a small seaside town. Plot-wise, nothing really happens re: Sarah until about halfway through the book, and after that it gallops along to an exciting conclusion. A little confused as to what year Claudette's meant to be in (she turns 17 but no reference either to having taken GCSEs or being in sixth form), and not sure the disappearance of a girl like Sarah would get so much media attention in real ...more
Claire
Sep 01, 2018 added it
I had some issues with the story-line. When I read the blurb I thought it was going to be similar to 'Radio Silence' by Alice Oseman or 'The Apple Tart of Hope' by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald. I thought this would be a story about Claudette and her mental health, with the search for her friend, which at the beginning it was, but I felt that dragged away towards the middle and the end.

However, I really enjoyed Matthew Crow's writing style, how he brought his characters to life and the realities of me
Imogen Cooper
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with this book. I feel like i’m being nice by giving it two stars. There was so much potential for this book to be so so good and it just didn’t reach that level. The mental health side was glossed over and each characters story wasn’t very in depth so there wasn’t any connections between reader and character that could’ve been made which i found boring. Maybe it’s just that before this book i read easily a 10 star book so maybe it was down to my expectations being too ...more
Mihai Bunea
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve bought this book because I saw it in Rosie Freckle’s best 2017 books. And the truth is I wasn’t ready.

Claudette is a very well shaped character and even though I didn’t understand her actions it portrayed so well the struggles of a person with mental health issues.
Matthew Crows writting is superb. And the subject in the book is tackled with wit and sometimes with excruciating detail—making you feel all Claudette feels.

I’ll surely recommend this further!! ❤❤

• Five 4ths of July
  • Girl in Shades
  • Maiden Voyage: A Titanic Story
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • Samphire Song
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • Good Enough
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • What We Do Is Secret
  • Delicate
  • Learning to Swim
  • Hate
  • I Have No Secrets
  • Munro vs. the Coyote
  • Earth and Air (Tales of Elemental Spirits #3)
  • Somebody's Crying
  • Blame
  • I Must Have You
Matthew was born and raised in Newcastle and began freelancing for newspapers and magazines whilst still at school, writing about the arts and pop culture.

He has written four novels, Ashes and My Dearest Jonah - the second of which was nominated for the Dylan Thomas Prize for Literature - and one book for young adults, In Bloom, which was nominated for the Carnegie Medal and the North East Teen Bo