Start by marking “Treknology: The Science of Star Trek from Tricorders to Warp Drive” as Want to Read:
Treknology: The Science of Star Trek from Tricorders to Warp Drive

Treknology: The Science of Star Trek from Tricorders to Warp Drive

The name Star Trek conjures images of faster-than-light spacecraft, holographic crew members, and phasers set to stun. Some of these incredible devices may still be far from our reach, but others have made the leap from science fiction to science fact—and now you can learn the science and engineering of what makes them tick.

Treknology looks at over twenty-five iconic inven
Published October 15th 2017 by Voyageur Press

To ask other readers questions about Treknology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treknology

Laura Dam
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im a longtime trekker and some years ago I gave a speech for high school students which covered similar topics to this book.
The book of course is much better than my humble conference. The explanations are easy to follow and the pictures are stunning. A must-have for any trekker or science geek.

(Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for giving me a free ARC in exchange for a honest review)
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not being a Trekkie, I still found this book quite interesting. This book is full of pictures and descriptions of technology used in Star Trek. It's broken down into sections with in depth content for each invention. The photos are great and placed perfectly throughout the book. This book teaches you the science behind several Star Trek inventions that every Trekkie would love.
Bob Andelman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TODAY'S GUEST: Ethan Siegel, astrophysicist, author, "Star Trek: Treknology - The Science of Star Trek from Tricorders to Warp Drive” by Bob Andelman

I don’t know if you have seen it, but the new Star Trek TV series, Star Trek: Discovery, is an extraordinary piece of entertainment.

Let me go a step further: the sixth episode of the new series’ first season may just have been the best single episode of any Star Trek TV series that I have ever seen. And I have seen them all, first run, going back to
Steve
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great nerd coffee table book
I enjoyed this book. I particularly liked how Ethan Siegel compared where Star Trek was and where we are and where we will realistically be. He was unhesitant to label some things as unrealistic while others as attainable. He explained the science clearly and wrote in a fun way. Although i received a digital galley of the book via Netgalley, I was also fortunate to receive a hard copy as a gift and I can safely say that the book is beautiful. The photographs and illus
Gayle Noble
I've long been a fan of Star Trek (favourite series - The Next Generation) and so I jumped at the chance to read this ARC. An interesting look at the science behind the ideas on the franchise, and also at some of the inventions it has inspired, taking in everything from the sliding doors, with that unmistakable shh sound, to warp drive technology - this is a comprehensive guide. Packed with photos from the different show incarnations, except the most recent one, it is a must-read for any Star Tr ...more
Ruth Frampton
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sci-fi writings have been the dreams and places of inspiration for scientists for years past and this book shows that Star Trek is no different. A look at the items from the show that have or are becoming science fact, this book is well presented and easy to navigate, it goes into depth on some of the more familiar elements from Gene Roddenberry's world. With many, many images to break up the science, this could almost be a coffee table book, definitely recommended.
Otherwyrld
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There have been previous attempts to use Star Trek to illustrate popular science, such as 20th Century Computers and How They Worked: The Official Starfleet History of Computers which used Next Generation graphics and had Data as the author. This book was a step above other attempts as it looks at where modern science is in relation to the Star Trek universe, and how far we are along to reaching some of these milestones in science. It covers all of the Trek series and films (including the Kelvin ...more
Annette Jordan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An engaging and entertaining look at the science from Star Trek, and its real world applications.
Lavishly illustrated with stills from the various Trek television series and films, ranging from The Original Series to the most recent Abrams and Lin films, the book looks not only at how the technology developed over the franchise, but also how it both inspired and was inspired by real life science and technology. Broken down into categories, everything from transporters to photon torpedoes, commu
Sarai Henderson
I am a huge Trekkie. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. I grew up with Star Trek the next generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise and now the rebooted Star Trek. I know this genre.

I picked up this book for the pure science of it. The content is so in depth with real situations that correlate with Star Trek technology. We've come so far, and a lot of the things we take for granted on the show, are close to becoming reality. The photos are great and placed throughout the book. The writi
Theediscerning
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good look at the science as used in Star Trek (in all its variations), and more importantly what our current level of nous equates to. So while the 3D printer is a long way off knowing which type of cup to serve "tea - early grey - hot" in, we don't have as far to go as we'd fear. Mind you, in so many other regards - FTL travel, instantaneous communication, and so on - we're just flapping a posh salt shaker over someone who might be expecting a full tricorder. It'll teach the aver ...more
Brad DeMaagd
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accessible Trek History & Real World Scientific Advances

The book begins with Space Travel & Starships and ends with the more personal sized item, Tricorders. I'm each category, we get a explanation of the subjects role & history within the Trek cannon (not including Discovery in this edition). We then get into the scientific concepts & creations within our world that relate and a rough idea of how we've come or how far away we may be. I rented this from my library, but it is a
ElphaReads
This was a very fun and pretty informative book about STAR TREK technologies and the real life scientific theories and processes behind them, as well as real life technologies that are slowly but surely catching up with the fantasy. While it was pretty heavy on the science at times, and while some of the physics stuff went right over my head, I did enjoy reading about the tech and the real life analogs. Plus, lots of great pictures of STAR TREK moments AND moments in technological history.
Jessica
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 🌟

It was a highly engaging books that covered a number of the diverse technological advances put forth in the “Star Trek” series. While, I enjoyed learning how we might get, from the technology level humanity is at right now, to the Star Trek level...the science sometimes became a bit too in-depth and I wasn’t truly able to appreciate what the author was talking about. Hence the 4.5 🌟rating. Otherwise, a quite enlightening & enjoyable trip down “Star Trek Technobabble Lane”.
Ed Fonseca
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone, Trekkie or not. It breaks down a lot of the science in Star Trek and how it's influenced science in real life. The book also references events along the fictional Star Trek time line that correspond to those scientific advances, which is great for hardcore Trekkies or someone new to Star Trek.
Kristine
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Treknology by Ethan Wright is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early November.

A fancy cinematic picture of the technology used in Star Trek and how it is (and/or could be) sourced from real-life technology and space science, particularly cloaking devices, communicators, and transporters, just to name a few (that I'm still happily in the magic dark about).
Emily
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert: I'm not a Trekkie, but I still wanted to learn more about the show and what better way than learning the science behind it?! The photos were beautiful and everything was explained in such a way that even I could understand. Kudos to the author for that. This is a great addition for anyone that loves science and science fiction. I would recommend this book. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Perry
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A really nice overview of various technologies used in Star Trek, where we are now, and how feasible they could become. Helped me enjoy the show just a bit more.
Gianluca Carimando
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book that explains in depth the technology of Starfleet. I only wish it would include more information about the starships...
Eric
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dispenses with too much speculation and dives right into how close modern science has gotten to many of Star Trek's most famous concepts and technologies.
Peter Jones
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read others like this, but it gave a good overview on the progress toward various Treknologies.
David Miller
Pedantic and uninspiring. There are better ways to spend your time.
Kristina Brown
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A fascinating run through the way Star Trek fiction preceded science fact.
Sam (RiverMooseReads)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

*I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book explores the technology of the Star Trek universe. As I huge Star Trek nerd, I loved this. I think the technology they chose to showcase were well picked, well organized, and the sections were well written. Though, if you don't know Star Trek, you will be fully lost.

Each section is helped by stills and pictures from pretty much every iteration of Star Trek, focusing
Puccini
Dec 21, 2017
David
Feb 26, 2019
Penny
rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2017
  • Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History
  • Star Trek: The Manga Volume 1: Shinsei/Shinsei
  • All the Madmen: Barrett, Bowie, Drake, the Floyd, the Kinks, the Who and the Journey to the Dark Side of English Rock
  • Rockin' in Time: A Social History of Rock-And-Roll
  • Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Star Trek: Vulcan
  • There's A Riot Going On: Revolutionaries, Rock Stars, and the Rise and Fall of '60s Counter-Culture
  • Ships of the Line
  • Fun with Kirk and Spock
  • Unspoken Truth
  • The Star Trek Book: Strange New Worlds Boldly Explained
  • The George Carlin Letters: The Permanent Courtship of Sally Wade
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • These Are The Voyages: TOS Season One (These Are the Voyages, #1)
  • Star Trek Cats
  • The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
  • The Making of Return of the Jedi (Star Wars:  The Making of, #3)
  • Is This Guy For Real?: The Unbelievable Andy Kaufman