Start by marking “Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra, #2)” as Want to Read:
Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra, #2)

Duchess of Terra

(Duchy of Terra #2)

When Terra knelt to an alien Imperium
They guaranteed our safety and our future
But now their enemies are coming for us

To preserve humanity’s survival and freedom in a hostile galaxy, Annette Bond tied her world to the A!Tol Imperium, taking on the mantle of Duchess of Terra to rule humanity in the Imperium’s name.

The A!Tol have provided technology, ships, and money to
Published February 9th 2017 by Faolan's Pen Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Duchess of Terra, please sign up.

Start your review of Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra, #2)
Tam
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit, that at the end of the first book in this series, I was curious as to how the author was going to make the taking over / running of a world interesting when compared with the action packed book I’d just read. He delivered.

Firstly, our heroine is smart and finds smart, connected, savvy people to help her and delegates to them. Secondly, she’s not starry eyed over the A!Tol and knows they’re looking after themselves before Terra.
Lindsey
After pounding through book 2 of the Duchy trilogy, I can admit to myself that the level of entertainment is somewhat akin to watching COPS, or singing along to some horrible pop song, or shame eating McDonalds in my car when I’m sure no one can see me. It’s fun, it’s enjoyable, but also simple and unfulfilling. I can almost read these books the way I watch some TV shows as though it’s just on in the background while my mind picks over other tasks.

This book introduced what could’ve been a well f
Nathan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of Glynn's books. Better than Weber's best.

If you have ever enjoyed David Weber and his honor Harrington books, you will absolutely love this. Space opera and politics, but vastly better done and still uniquely aspected.

Fast paced, without relying on missile math or paragraphs of exposition, the writing style is fresh, fun, and above all, exciting.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun series to read. It has great characters, both human and alien, interesting science and a plot that started in book one and continues in book two. The backstory continues to develop and the world building supports the story and is presented as part of the plot. There is danger developing as the book starts and it is taken care of before the book ends. That does not mean there is nothing left for another book. This is a developing story just as the world building continues to develop ...more
David P. Duffy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bisexual Dominatrix Space Captain Becomes Alien Overlords' Quisling Ruler of Earth

"The Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra Book 2)," continues the centuries in the future story, of Earth's defeat by a more advanced alien Imperium, the subsequent surrender of Earth, acceptance of a "Vichy"-style collaborative government, the puppet rule of the MC-"The Duchess"-a bisexual/dominatrix/former privateer space captain, the threat of an alien Theocratic Empire invasion, which if successful, means the ensla
Jim
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Duchess of Terra: a Huge Hit

Disclaimer: I bought this book - even though I received a free ARC or could have read it through KU. It's that good. Why? Great characters, skillful writing, perfect pacing, exciting plot and the joy of a Glynn Stewart story. Honestly, there isn't a dragging moment in the entire book.
Duchess Annette Bond is a masterful hero who has to fight a war on two fronts - one with the Kanzi, who mean to enslave the people of Earth, and the other a cabal of former officers who
christi Harwick
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this book!

The only negative thing I have to say about this book is you might find a few grammar errors. Other than that, you should go read this book now. It has everything you want. Aliens, space, spacecraft, cool dudes in power armor, space battles and aliens. If you are still reading this review then stop and go read the damn book. You should read the first book first and that should be the only reason you are not reading this book. Also, WTF are you still reading this review. I told you
Stephan
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is not very good book. It has pacing problems in the middle, most of the characters are cookie-cutter generics, and the language often appears to be slightly off, both in dialog and in narration. The interpersonal relationships may be a good idea in principle, but the execution is decidedly schmalzy. I think this would have benefited a lot from competent lector/editor.

On the other hand, I finished it in 1.5 days, and I will probably get the next volume. Whatever its failures are, that is g
Mick Bird
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
great follow up

Book 2 of this series of books, shows us the readers, that even though Captain Bond is now the first Duchess of Terra. She finds that she still has to build a new government, but some of the old earth forces are not going to help. With the enemy from space are looking at attacking earth. The battle will not be easy, and losses will not be nice for her or her crew. Looking forward to the next book.
Volpot
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars. OK, but not as good as the first book. What is not OK is the gratuitous in-your-face presentation of homosexual relationships. They were more common than the heterosexual relationships in the book and their presence and detailed descriptions of the couples' interactions seemed to be nothing more than the author's desire to make a statement about today's society. I have no issue with the occasional homosexual relationship appearing in a book; but I wanted a Sci-Fi book, not this. ...more
Shonari
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great follow-up to book one of the Dutchy of Terra Series. The book did suffer from a few... unbelievable conveniences however. But, if you watched Star Trek or any Science Fiction TV show, surprising albeit, convenient developments are usually required to help aid the heroes.
Terry Mixon
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Winner From Stewart!

This book takes the story started in The Terran Privateer and ramps it up to 11! I cannot wait to see what happens next. Get writing, sir!
Per Gunnar
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the series was a pleasant surprise. This one takes off right after the last one ended. The author gave us quite a interesting plot twist at the end of the last book and our hero is now the Duchess of Terra.

Now her new title of course just means that her problems have taken on a new order of magnitude. Nothing to complicated though. Just build a fleet capable of defending Earth…with no money, thwart the A!Tol’s attempt to screw her over because they want to get their hands on th
Miss OP
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This series keeps having the same issues for me. The world-building is both strong and weak at the same time. It has moments where you think you will learn about more than core worlds and other races besides the "higher" ones in their alliances. You never really do though. You never get the joy of space opera and the exploration of new worlds. You never really get good space battle until later books when morgan grows up. It's almost a space opera but not really. It's like a bunch of relationship ...more
James
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really like Glynn Stewart's Starship's Mage series and also the Vigilante series he co-wrote, so I was hoping for another page-turner. I got through the first one and found it mediocre but serviceable. I couldn't get past the 30% mark for this.

Neither book one nor book two had a particularly likeable protagonist to focus on, and neither book had a strong central plot to focus on. They just sort of meandered around until the author ran out of words.

I saw a lot of other reviews mention the homos
Larry
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was looking for some escapist reading and this Space Opera genre, the second in the Duchy of Terra series, certainly fit the bill. Captain Annette Bond is now a Duchess of earth(!). In the first book, she was ‘given’ earth – for her prior ‘service’ to the alien conquerors. (It’s a long story.) After learning that sentient life comes in many forms/species, the earth now also has overlords. It’s conquerors deal in their self-interest but Bond realizes “… we were on the border between two giants ...more
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really like this story so far. The author has created an interesting universe with interesting characters. This second book was a great continuation from where the first one left off. I especially enjoyed the character building of some of the main characters from the first book. This book did however, feel just a bit long and drawn out. I was a little disappointed that the main character from the first book was not featured as much in this story. While I liked the development of the other char ...more
Bob Miller
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent story! A gradual escalation of progress and setbacks culminate in a climax that includes surprise along with fulfillment for the protagonists. The story, even though part of a series, also works as a standalone book, with sufficient (and non-redundant for the series) background elucidating every aspect of the plot. Still, there is plenty of technology descriptions as one might expect in this genre, but none of that is overwhelming, nor does it attempt to provide a lengthy ex ...more
Smoke
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Annette is a very likeable character for me, and her new role in book two works great. We get to see other characters, but Annette is still the main over of the plot. The strife they have to deal with on Earth is a nice hurdle along with the rest of the issues in the book.

This is probably my favorite series by Stewart so far. A lot of that has to do with the new technology, and the quick progression we get to see as the story moves forward. The characters are all like
Daz
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoying this series.
After the end of the first book we get to see the early days of the newly formed Duchy of Terra. Dealing with the demands of being a Duchy, establishing a world government and recruiting to fulfill the needs of a new militia. Further complicated by the ever looming threat of the Kanzi and also remnants of the Webber protocols.

How will Dan!Annette Bond handle the demands?
Will the A!Tol Imperium's newest Duchy find it's place in the wider universe?

Not going to spoil
Keith
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Guard Your Heart
Not all who fight survive and so it is in this second book in the series. Some of those the reader has learned to care for will not be with us at the end of this book.

Continued development for existing characters and new characters alike, supplemented with an interesting mix of supporting cast. The plot is expected but has a few surprising turns along the way. This book resolves nicely and the lead into book 3 feels natural.
Melissa Jane
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars . . . Better than book one with more action and less weird moments that were found oddly spaced throughout the first book. Maybe having already set up the world building made the story flow better. The characters were more formed and the emotions that they expressed seemed to be genuine compared to book one. I am actually excited to read the next book!
Jeff
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good next step in the series. A bit slow through the middle part of the book (Earth Politics), but finished strong.

One item that bothered me was the introduction of a new character (Tanaka) who wasn't really introduced before being a major focus of the plot. It seemed out of place that she had such a major role but I didn't know her back story. Overall an enjoyable read. I'll pick up the next one.
Dietrich Liebert
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent space opera

I really liked this book; it is as well written as the first one. I am buying the next one in this series; I just hope that the author doesn’t fall in the D Weber trap: his first books were wonderful, but they got longer and longer, wordier without real content and I stopped reading them.
Chris
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Worth the wait and even better than book one

Fulfills the promise of book one. Adds layers of complexity that bode well for the next books. Good pacing and a good balance of action and narrative.
Terje Fokstuen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced exciting space opera. The aliens are here, and we have sworn allegiance to them, in order not to be enslaved by other aliens. The galaxy is a big place and the Duchy of Terra is small, but with Annette Bond as earth's leader humanity has new allies and a chance at staying free. ...more
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!

I cannot say enough good things about this book. So well written and so keeping you on the edge of your seat. At the same time, very deep politics, battles, developed alien races. Read this book!!
Diana Hanson
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Both books One and Two, Great

I would have given these books a five star rating but spelling errors and editing were just plain bad. I enjoyed the story very much and look foreword to the next book. I hope the editing is better
Phil Care
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Phil Care by: Read other books by this author
Started this book yesterday and finished it in the early hours of this morning I could just not put it down. This is a very good next book in the series and in my opinion far better than the first book. Just waiting now in anticipation for the next series.
Milan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Behind Enemy Lines (Empire of Bones Saga, #7)
  • Veil of Shadows (Empire of Bones Saga, #2)
  • Ghosts of Empire (Empire of Bones Saga, #4)
  • Command Decisions (Empire of Bones Saga, #3)
  • Empire of Bones (Empire of Bones Saga #1)
  • Reconnaissance in Force (Empire of Bones Saga, #6)
  • Paying the Price (Empire of Bones Saga, #5)
  • Ruined Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, Book 11)
  • The Terra Gambit (Empire of Bones Saga #8)
  • Race to Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, #10)
  • Victory on Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, #12)
  • Bound by Blood (Vigilante, #5)
  • Hidden Enemies (The Empire of Bones Saga, #9)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Delphi Nation (Delphi in Space #4)
  • Delphi Federation (Delphi in Space Book 6)
  • Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Delphi Colony (Delphi in Space Book 8)

Duchy of Terra (3 books)
  • The Terran Privateer (Duchy of Terra, #1)
  • Terra and Imperium (Duchy of Terra, #3)

News & Interviews