Start by marking “Before You Wake: Life Lessons from a Father to His Children” as Want to Read:
Before You Wake: Life Lessons from a Father to His Children

Before You Wake: Life Lessons from a Father to His Children

"A must read."---RedState

From Erick Erickson, "arguably the most powerful conservative in America today" (The Atlantic), an inspiring book about life's enduring values, based on a viral essay he wrote for his children after he and his wife both faced grave medical situations.

In late 2016, prompted by the news that his wife was battling cancer and his own pulmonary medical
Published October 3rd 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Before You Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Wake

Sue-Lynn Voigt
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ccc-book-club
This book was ok and you have to take it for the purpose for which it was written. A last letter of advice to his children. A couple of the chapters were spot on and very enjoyable. Several just seemed braggadocios. However, the book is a quick read and has merit.
Mark Youngkin
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OK, this book is pretty much perfect. One of the best political writers of our time, Erick Erickson, had a near-death experience last year. At about the same time, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. This prompted a column on his website, The Resurgent, about the things he wished his children would know from him before he died. Now it's a book that mentions politics only obliquely, which is one of its best features. It's full of timeless wisdom from events in Erickson's life, and some great reci ...more
Chris Queen
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful exploration of faith, wisdom, and food!
Kyle
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

The idea of this book is spectacular. None of us know when our time her on Earth is through, and as such, we do not know how long we will have with our children. We may grow old and watch our children prosper, we may die suddenly and leave a parenting void for our children. Sharing as much as possible with our children about ourselves, our families, our beliefs, and helping mold them into the best versions of them is a
Kevin
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It is not easy to review books by people you consider friends; even if the friendship is mostly online rather than in person. What struck me about this book was how personal it is. It has the flavor of a memoir rather than an advice book. And then there are recipes at the end. But it makes sense somehow because you can tell how much joy cooking, eating and entertaining give to Erick.

Erick offers insight into how he became the person he is today not in terms of his political philosophy but in ter
Wesley Roth
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who used to read Redstate and currently reads The Resurgent, I have known Erick Erickson's commentary for some time now (and met him back in 2005 at CPAC). I was intrigued by his latest book, "Before You Wake", which is a short and focused book written to his children. He and his wife were very sick last year and thought he would write a book to them in case he and his wife both passed away.

I enjoyed reading about his life, briefly summarized. I also agreed with a lot of his "life le
Michelle Ule
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't have cable TV, so I don't know the author. I'm not sure why I had this on hold from the library, but it turned up today and I skimmed it. If I knew these people, the story might be more interesting. The writing was only so-so and I'm not his child so, what was the point?

He's got some good suggestions, but this was hard to read and so, as noted above, I skimmed it. I'm not sure who would benefit from it, but maybe if your parents didn't talk to you and you weren't sure how to live a life?
Michelle Beese
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book and LOVED the recipes! I don't agree with all of Erickson's statements; however I do have a great deal of respect for the way he lives his values in his daily life. He has a great sense of humor, and he sure does love to cook! Trying to figure out which of the recipes I want to try out myself!
DK Simoneau
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first part of the book really setting the tone for why it was being written. But then it lost me. I found myself skimming and bored. Until I got to the last two chapters. Really enjoyed the cooking section and the tidbits of wisdom. So even if you find yourself not enjoying this book be sure to read those chapters. They were a redeeming quality.
Heather Birr
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read this... pretty disappointed when it was over. Some parts were good, but most really were just stories that maybe his children can enjoy, and not so interesting for anyone else. Someone else mentioned it was “braggadocios” and I tend to agree.. not something I’d read again, and for sure never buy.
Brandon  Benson
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great life experiences of Erick Erickson with sage advice. I had no idea of his early life in Dubai. In addition to the good advice the reader will find a great selection of Erick’s own recipes. I look forward to the cooking as much I enjoyed the reading.
Joseph P. Alexander
So many great truths here.

As a man over 40, who has children, this book meant a lot. The day of death is closer now than birth and I too want to leave a legacy for my kids. Thanks.
Stuart
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Good book, great advice. Food/recipe chapter is a boon to the health care and pharmaceutical industries.🙂
Lynne
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read. Honest, challenging, and encouraging. I enjoyed reading about Erick owning his mistakes and learning from them. His children will treasure this for many years.
George Lai
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read two-thirds of the book stopping where it started talking about religion.
Barb
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. He is a Christian conservative Republican writing about what is important in life and how to live.
Rosemary A.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He wrote this book for his children but it is good for people of any age.
Russ Adcox
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Heard him interviewed on NPR and seemed like a great concept for a book. There were some touching chapters and his opposition to Trump (as a conservative) was interesting. The reason for the three stars? Half of the book was recipes!! Seriously, it ends midway through and the rest is just recipes.
Cindy