Start by marking “This Is Not Fame: A "From What I Re-Memoir"” as Want to Read:
This Is Not Fame: A "From What I Re-Memoir"

This Is Not Fame: A "From What I Re-Memoir"

An unfiltered, unapologetic, hilarious, and sometimes obscene assemblage of tales from the down-and-dirty traveling comedy circuit

Doug Stanhope has been drunkenly stumbling down the back roads and dark alleys of stand-up comedy for over a quarter of a century, roads laden with dank bars, prostitutes, cheap drugs, farm animals, evil dwarfs, public nudity, menacing
Published December 5th 2017 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not Fame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Not Fame

Start your review of This Is Not Fame: A "From What I Re-Memoir"
Andrew Smith
Doug Stanhope is a wild American stand up comedian whose act is lewd and, many would consider, offensive. But he’s also often uproariously funny. I first came across him when he had a regular three-minute rant on Charlie Brooker’s review show, Weekly Wipe, on British television. I liked his irreverent style so I grabbed a copy of his memoir Digging Up Mother: A Love Story, a book about how he assisted his mother in committing suicide. Honestly, it’s apparently a true story! Full of humour and ...more
John Bruni
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Stanhope. I loved his first, and this is just as good. Painfully honest in most places. Horrifying. Mortifying. Absolutely hilarious. Also, not afraid to publish a picture of his own dick in this book. Then again, he has no fear, anyway, about anything. As a drunkard myself, I can identify with a lot of things in this book. However, I do disagree with him on one thing. I do believe that Bill Hicks bared his soul onstage. He didn't just talk politics or dick jokes. He had ...more
Waffles
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would give it slightly less than 4.5 stars. So many laugh out loud moments. Don't read this in a quiet space or you will rupture your diaphragm from suppressing your laughs.
Simon Sweetman
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanhope is a funny, thoughtful, engaging writer - and this, a part-memoir that basically discusses his comedy career rather than his actual life, plays out almost like a comedy special. There's huge heart here and fearlessness too. Outrage, but never (just) for the sake of it. He's a class act. At least most of the time.
Zach Bird
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of, if not the best autobiography I have ever read. Rockstar stories of debauchery with a comedian’s sensibilities and attention to detail. Maybe Stanhope’s best work and I have read, seen and heard all of his material. Highly recommend!
Jon
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
What can I say? If you like Stanhope's comedy, you will love this book. If you are not familiar with his comedy, check him out first to make sure he's your cup of tea. Statistically speaking, he won't be.
Kdawg91
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today's world is one of apologies, of hurt feelings, and constant, overbearing political correctness. Stanhope is none of these. Crude, the definition of self destructive, pretty much a stumbling mess of a human being. This is Not Fame is a collection of lewd tales that lead you to wonder, "How is this guy still living?"

That being said, few people can tell a story like Doug Stanhope. A drunken swirl of chaos, debauchery, and all around UN politically correct as you possibly can get, buried in
Brian K Thibodeaux
Exactly what you would expect...

Stanhope, as always, simply tells the stories as they happened. No apologies. No embarrassment. No embellishment. He again shows us how inane our world can be and wonders why so many of us still choose to live that way.

Agree or disagree...you won't be left guessing where he stands on just about any controversial topic you can imagine. It's like he takes a class about what subjects to avoid in order to make others comfortable doing business with us, then he
Cody Fraley
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I have ever read. Distasteful to a degree that warms the cockles of my heart because of the overly sensitive nature of modern society.
Doug is unabashedly honest, brutal, and fun in a childish way but does not steer clear of some thought provoking and endearing stories.
Like what was said a few times in the book, there is nothing more entertaining than laughing like an 11 year old. I did that for the majority of this read and couldn't have had a better time.
Ronna
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny, irreverent book by one of my favourite stand up comedians. His stuff is....intense....so not recommended for people who can't handle naughty language or bawdy stories.
RJ
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enfuckingjoyable read.

If you don't like it, go piss up a rope. I have no original thoughts and am merely filling the Amazon word minimum quota. The headline is all you need.
David Graham
Good book, I like Doug's writing, I can hear his standup voice in his writing.
Kurt Anderson
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
While ‘Digging Up Mother’ was a bittersweet narrative (two interwoven bittersweet narratives, really) stitched together by entertaining anecdotes, ‘This Is Not Fame’ replaces narrative with throughlines of life lessons learned from a guy who, whatever you have to say about him, has certainly “sucked the marrow out of life.”
(Important note: Stanhope would probably consider that (run on) sentence super pretentious and mock me for it.)

Like ‘Mother,’ ‘Fame’ perfectly captures Stanhope’s voice. On
Lisa
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I typically love a good memoir but this one just doesn’t cut it. Pretty much a summary of all the time’s he’s been wasted and did stupid stuff. If you were to hang out with him after one of his shows; these are the stories you’d hear.
Shelly Sodoski
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fucking loved it - well done. Dark, despairing, real, and funny!
Yuri
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to say, an amusing read, I laughed out loud a few times.
This is very much a for fans book, simply because it assumes you know Stanhope, and goes from there telling you more. It does humanize Doug Stanhope, and maybe gives him a platform to coherently say things he wants to say, and couldn't make funny enough to turn into a bit.

This review was much longer, but only the above survived the cut.
Paul Phillips
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unflinching drunken tales

I love Doug Stanhope. Well I love his fearless comedy and drunk rambling podcasts. This book isn't as good as Digging up Mother which was brilliant but there are some great stories. This book didn't make me cry either. If I was funny and had the constitution of an Ox I'd be Doug Stanhope. So buy this book, buy his back catalogue and watch him live before he isn't...live any more.
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was mostly a good read. I have always felt that Stanhope is a happenstance comedian. He is far more suited to be a counter-culture figure, and in his case, he accomplished that by touring comedy clubs. I love Stanhope and will always be a fan. He is a reminder that they'll always be "another America."
Dieter Cauwenberge
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. Doug Stanhope is the rolling stone of stand up comedy and to read how he takes on this thing called celebrity is hilarious. I was laughing with crazy anecdotes pretty much every page of the book.
Outdoors Nerd
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Laughed out loud again and again. A torrid collection of hazyly remembered stories of drugged drunken debauchery with friends and foes. Laking the depth and insights of Digging Up Mother this is just good unclean fun.
Kellen Clifford
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, often hilarious. Doug is a true American Hero and I'm glad he is so functioning that he was able to write this.

Here's hoping for a sequel - no doubt he's got plenty more to say.
Chris
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Doug's standup and watch you-tube clips of his very meandering interviews and townhall meetings, but I found the book a little less captivating. There are some gems in there for sure, but it was a little too meandering for my tastes. A book if you're a superfan.
Cyn
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
If you are a fan of Doug Stanhope, you will probably enjoy this as immensely as I did. It is very rare for me to find a book so amusing that I actually laugh out loud, and this book made me laugh/snicker/chuckle several times while reading it.
Redd
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've heard almost all of the stories in person before but I enjoyed hearing them all over again. Raw. Irreverent. and laugh out loud funny...excellent sequel my friend!
Corey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too funny for 5 stars.
Hugo
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is a collection of stories from Stanhope's long touring career, amazingly funny, I laughed out loud more times than I can count.
Sean
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories. Easy enough to read while drunk. What more could a Stanhope fan want?
Bertram
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. Very much like digging up mother.
Drew Hastings
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Doug is a friend but he is more entertaining sitting and listening to his tales than reading them from the page.
Kilburn Adam
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny. Way better than his previous book Digging Up Mother
« previous 1 3 next »

• Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child
  • Let Me Out: A Madhouse Diary
  • Surprisingly Down to Earth, and Very Funny: My Autobiography
  • Attempting Normal
  • Permanently Suspended: The Rise and Fall... and Rise Again of Radio's Most Notorious Shock Jock
  • Thank You for Coming to Hattiesburg: One Comedian's Tour of Not-Quite-the-Biggest Cities in the World
  • Daft Wee Stories
  • Based on a True Story
  • Beastie Boys Book
  • A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate
  • Crash and Burn
  • Wanna Bet?: A Degenerate Gambler's Guide to Living on the Edge
  • Be Cool (Chili Palmer, #2)
  • Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch
  • God, If You're Not Up There, I'm F*cked
  • Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
  • Acid For The Children
“Stop worrying about your credits and consider enjoying your day. You die at the end.” 4 likes
“Some of the best nights in your life will never make it onto your Wikipedia page. Stop worrying about your credits and consider enjoying the day.
You die at the end.”