Start by marking “The Blacksmith Prince” as Want to Read:
The Blacksmith Prince

The Blacksmith Prince

17th century Perigord is a county of sun-drenched villages and dark forests, languid rivers and moonlit lakes. It is a corner of France teeming with spirits, dryads and nymphs, and like everywhere else, witches are burned at the stake.

Born with the second sight, young fisherman Jehan wants nothing but to keep his head down, work hard, and stay out of trouble. Which works w
Published July 14th 2017 by Osiris Brackhaus

To ask other readers questions about The Blacksmith Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blacksmith Prince

Start your review of The Blacksmith Prince
Susan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, gbr, mm
A fairy tale kind of story with a light romance. I was happy that the story picked up in the second half and I started to enjoy this more than the first half. So 3 stars it is.

This story is set in the magical country of 17th century France, where magic is feared and witches are burned, but where the Fae and other magical creatures rule the forest.

Jehan is a young fisherman with the ability to do magic. But while his grandmother is telling him to develop these abilities and take over for her when
Tiferet
If you're in the mood for something fun and exciting, and at the same time sort of sweet and innocent because of its fairy tale feel, even when it gets more Grimm brothers than Disney, then this is the right book for you. The MCs are so loveable, and both their magical quest and their romance so engaging! Super extra bonus points for the great lore and awesome secondary characters, especially the female ones.
Lila Hunter
Rating: 4.75 stars

Review to follow at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

ARC provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.
Aleksandr Voinov
This is a feel-good fairy tale that'll have you smiling and sighing. It's gorgeous, and the sense of place (Southern France) is described by somebody who was there. This is a short summer break away to the french countryside - balm for the soul.
Serena Yates
Ah, a good old-fashioned fairy tale, set in a world that resembles the Perigord of the 17th century, yet contains some distinctly alternate-reality elements as well. The setting in a dreamy region of France is wonderfully described and pulled me into a world full of charm, traditional values, and hidden dangers from the first page. The supernatural makes a quick entrance, since both main characters have links to a reality their compatriots fervently refuse to acknowledge. If either Jehan, born w ...more
Sunne
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm utterly charmed by this book.

I bought the paperback at the Euro Pride Con 2017 in Berlin. Let's start with the cover - it's the most fitting cover I've seen in a while ....and soooo lovely and pretty and I want to pet it :D
Seriously though, the cover fits the book. The cover artist very clearly has read the story.

Now - the book - ah, the book. It is described as historical fantasy romance - and while this is not untrue - it's a bit insufficient. It's a fairy tale, it's a journey to another
Feliz
The Blacksmith Prince is a genuine fairytale in the tradition of a Hauff, La Motte Fouque or even Tolkien, quirky and imaginative and laceed with a healthy dose of fine, subtle humor. It has just about anything you'd wish for: a damsel in distress and a knight in shining armor (who switch roles now and then)going on a quest together, curses that need lifting and spells which need to be fueled with blood and passion, supernatural beings, witchcraft and sorcery and, on top of all this, not only o ...more
Osiris Brackhaus
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as written_by_me  ·  (Review from the author)
'The Blacksmith Prince' is available at most major retailers! A list of shopping links will be maintained on our site, here: http://www.brackhaus.com/the-books/bl...

Also, there is a free 25-page reading sample at the link above. As soon as Goodreads allows me to, we will also upload it here.

Reviewers looking for review copies are welcome to contact me directly.
Tony Parsons
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
17th century Perigord, France. La Morangiasse market place. Jehan le Pêcheur (fisherman) was closing up his stall for the day.
The other apprentices & journeymen from all the other shops were glad the work day was over.
Giraud (adoptive son) wanted him to go swimming it was so hot out.
It was Marianne’s (niece) birthday so Jehan had to stop by there.
Jehan had brought Madame Cassanoë a goat’s horn.
She gave him the current gossip of Maître Segui (smith), & Marette (Segui’s wife) who live up the hil
M'rella
I am not sure how to rate this book. While I enjoyed the adventures, I couldn't connect with the main characters. And some of the secondary characters seemed nothing but a prop, like Jehan's grandmother. All she did was some nagging in the beginning, being sick and silent in the middle and being dead and happy in the very end. There is no adequate impact on the story for the pages spent on her, unfortunately.

There was so much thrown in together: the non-stop adventure and the pending doom of a
Sanna
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MM romance / historical / fantasy readers
Enchanting fantasy story

This title's a standalone story with a HEA.

OMG I loved this! Truly Enchanting 😍

I started reading after 1 clicking after I accidentally found the author through The Pet and His Duke. This is quite another kind of story but I don't mind that difference at all in the least. I like variety. The other book had quite a lot of hot content in a sci-fantasy type framework which I do love whereas this one didn't concentrate on that and is set in historical framework and is fae fant
Lisa The Novel Approach
~ 3.5 Stars ~

This cover. Can we take just a moment to give Anna Sikorska some appreciation for her artwork? This is the second of her more recent covers that has left me in awe, and is again one of the reasons I grabbed this book. It’s the fairy tale in visual that this novel is in word.

The Blacksmith Prince has all the stock elements of a classic fairy tale: fae creatures, witches, earth magic, a dark curse, and a hero’s journey. It is the story of Jehan, a simple fisherman and the grandson of
JJ
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet!

This was fun, sweet, and exciting.

I do so love a story with the fae.

Becca
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the land of Perigord, France, where the air smells sweet and hidden in every crack and crevice is a magical creature of some sort. Nymphs, witches, fae and more roam among the humans, yet remain unseen by human eyes. It's a magical journey of loss and betrayal but of hope and love and the renewal of all things lost.

Jehan, to most, is an oddly quirky but sweet fisherman. He just wants to live his life quietly and in peace. But Jehan has a gift that is special to him. He can see magical
Joyfully Jay
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Jehan is a pleasant enough character. Mild and mannerly, he’s almost a Mary Sue, but manages to avoid the obvious pitfalls of perfection. He comes across as fairly mature, though he’s only a few years older than Giraud, and has spent much of his life trying to avoid his own sorcerous powers. Because Giraud needs him, and his powers, he’s trying to push himself to do what he can.

Giraud is more or less perfect, which — owing to his heritage — makes perfect sense. H
The Quille and Lampe
What I Think: This tale is my introduction to this pair of authors who wove this sweet, fantasy romance that brings to mind the fairytales I loved as a kid. Pure and true love mixed with adventure. A young couple that found the courage to re-write their fairytale.
Filled with elves and nobility, sadness, heartbreak and a vivid example of how love can really last forever. How it can give you faith and strength and hope. It’s a reminder that it is never how long it takes you to come to full self-aw
Paisleyrowan
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming and delightful. Considering the reputation of the fae, it was nice that this was kept as sweet as it was. It hit just the right notes, having some steam, but not getting too into it. Like a good fairy tale. Tease only. Then HEA.
Simera
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable read. Entertaining and a fun light read. If you like fairy tales you will love this book.
WhatAStrangeDuck
Nice, well rounded fantasy with a bit of a fairy tale feel to it. Recommended for people who like a good old-fashioned quest and can live with a bit less than perfect love-interest.
Mel
I have to preface this one with a warning that I've known the Authors of this one for over half my life. They are dear friends, and as such I can't guarantee this review isn't slightly bias...
..... That said this book is everything I love about a fantasy adventure. The attention to the detail in the world around our MCs is likely to be over the top if you are not into high fantasy. The pace wasn't runaway, it took time with the process and the characters. Whilst there is definitely room for more
Luce
3.5 stars. Not the best book I've ever read and I doubt I would read it again, but it's worth checking out if you think it sounds interesting. It was sweet and I really loved all of the magical elements, and the way the authors wrote the Fae. The romance lacked a little something for me and that made the book not as satisfying as it could have been. But I enjoyed it well enough overall.

The only thing I had an actual problem with was the quite frequent way it was casually ableist.
Amy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-them, arc-s
I didn't love this book but I didn't hate it either so I gave it 3 stars. It's a light romance. I liked the plot of the story, but it was kind of boring at points. I am very picky about my fantasy books and what I expect from them, and going into this, it sounded really interesting but it just didn't do it for me. I liked it, I just wouldn't read it again. If you like historical fantasy this is perfect for you. If you like high fantasy not related to our world, then I would pass on it.
Lily
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.85 stars rounded up.
Men In books
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dés les premières pages, j'ai plongé avec délice dans un monde d' heroic fantasy comme je les kiffe. On suit Jehan, jeune pêcheur aux multiples talents, doté de dons qu'il ne veut pas admettre et luttant aussi contre son attirance naturelle pour les hommes. Il vit dans une époque où l'homosexualité est sévèrement punie et la magie encore plus. Il navigue entre deux eaux qu'il va devoir franchir pour aider Giraud le fils du forgeron à lutter contre un puissant maléfice.

Au cœur du Périgord, on va
Virginie Dauphin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

J'ai beaucoup apprécié cette histoire qui nous emmène dans un conte ou les sorciers , les fées et personnages imaginaires se côtoient pour aider Jehan et Giraud à lever la malédiction qui frappe la famille de celui-ci.
l'histoire est agréable, bien menée et la romance est très légère ce qui permet de le mettre dans toutes les mains.
Pour ma part, j'aurais aimé que la romance soit un peu plus développée mais l'histoire est très bien de cette manière.
Shirahase
Dec 29, 2019
Kit
Jun 30, 2018
rykaine
Jul 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Consorting With Dragons
  • As You Wish (Shatterproof Bond #1)
  • Helix
  • Borrowing Blue (Made Marian, #1)
  • Dragon's Hoard
  • A Shadow on the Sun
  • The Succubus (Castle Rehm, #1)
  • Earthly Pleasures
  • Blyd and Pearce
  • How to (Not) Train a Firecat
  • Little Moments: Volume Two
  • Taji from Beyond the Rings
  • Concubine
  • Little Moments: Volume One
  • Without Warning (Cobalt Security, #1)
  • The Beast
  • A Touch of Magic (Fae-Touched, #1)
  • Assist (Pucks & Rainbows, #2)

News & Interviews