Start by marking “The Twelve Commandments (The Defense of Reality, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Commandments (The Defense of Reality, #2)

The Twelve Commandments

(The Defense of Reality #2)

Dropped into a world of violence, homelessness, and ruthless killers, Jose has a lot to learn. As the youngest member of a secret society charged with protecting the city of Baltimore, Jose must earn the trust of his partner and find the courage to fight if he and the city are going to live to see another day. The 12 Commandments is a fast-paced supernatural thriller fille ...more
Published February 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Commandments

Start your review of The Twelve Commandments (The Defense of Reality, #2)
Leah Speller
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining

I am never one to like being told in the description of a book that seems to promise “a fast paced supernatural thriller filled with intense action, entertaining characters, and terrifying beasts. This urban fantasy will keep you engrossed all the way to the last page.”

Well I can’t say it honestly delivered its promise. But for the most part it did however which is why I rated it five stars. This felt more of a coming of age story for José in the strange world he now finds himself i
Travis Chapman
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm usually an epic/military fantasy reader, but recently found the urbane fantasy genre and have been enjoying it more and more. Jeff's depiction of Baltimore is spot-on. I feel like I'm right there. If you are familiar with the city, you'll agree. The plot and genre elements are unique and compelling. I won't give it away, but I'll just say I don't think I could walk around downtown anymore without considering everything going on around me. Almost too close to home! Jeff is writing from a fait ...more
John
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff did it again. Once I got into the book, I couldn’t put it down. As in his first book of this series it started slow but finished up strong. It is an exciting tale of good vs evil. Jeff is a very talented writer who will go places.
Annie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I really like this authors style, it is easy to read, the story flows well and the characters are really likeable and believable. This is a really good prequel to Mencken and the Monsters. Another good read.
Scarolet Ellis
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book number two in this series, it is an amazing story to read by an amazing author. I am so glad I read this story it has really strong characters and a very believable story line. I recommend this to everyone who loves an urban fantasy.
This is my honest and unbias opinion of the story.
Denise Pursifull
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a real page turner! If you haven't read this author, you don't know what you're missing! I have been hooked since the very beginning of being introduced to Jeff Elkins and his books! Please do yourself a favor, and start reading them!
Jackie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome fast paced supernatural thriller that kept me reading until the end. Won a copy and appreciated it very much. Definitely ready for more by this great writer.
John Elkins
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! The heroes are AWESOME and at the same time loaded with complex emotional development! READ IT!!!
Jen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Baltimore references are fantastic! The story is great and I loved seeing Jose mature throughout the book. There are points of laughter and sadness. Overall a great read!
Ryan Hanson
Nov 09, 2018
Mary
Nov 10, 2018

• Fallen Empire Books 1-3
  • Rage (Feathers and Fire, #2)
  • Whispers (Feathers and Fire, #3)
  • The Remnant Keeper (Tombs Rising, #1)
  • Atlantis Quadrilogy - Box Set (Books 1 - 4): Project Atlantis, Book 1 - Destination Atlantis, Book 2 - Colony Atlantis, Book 3 - Beyond Atlantis, Book 4
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Cold My Heart (The Lion of Wales #1)
  • Daughter of Time (After Cilmeri, #0.5)
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Star Frontier
  • The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
  • The Red King (Wilde Justice #1)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • Dragon's Egg (Cheela, #1)
  • Tech Mage (The Magitech Chronicles #1)
  • Resurgent (Star Brigade, #1)
  • Witch Hunter: Into the Outside
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
I am an author living north of Baltimore, Maryland with my amazing wife and five incredible children. I write fictional urban fantasy and nonfiction essays about religion in America. I am the founder and a contributor to the online literary journal Short Fiction Break.

If you are interested in following my writing, click here to subscribe to my monthly newsletter.

The Defense of Reality (5 books)
  • Mencken and the Monsters (The Defense of Reality #1)
  • Mencken and the Lost Boys (The Defense of Reality #3)
  • Becoming Legend (The Defense of Reality #4)
  • Saving Deborah (The Defense of Reality #5)

News & Interviews