Start by marking “Six Wakes” as Want to Read:
Six Wakes

Six Wakes

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  9,532 ratings  ·  1,635 reviews
Nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel 2018Nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel 2018
In this Hugo nominated science fiction thriller by Mur Lafferty, a crew of clones awakens aboard a space ship to find they're being hunted-and any one of them could be the killer.
Maria Arena awakens in a cloning vat streaked with drying blood. She has no memory of how she di
Audiobook, 10 pages
Published January 31st 2017 by Hachette Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Six Wakes, please sign up.
Jill The book did not end with a cliffhanger, but the door was left slightly ajar for more to follow.

Raucous Yes. It's available on Audible (read by the author).

·  9,532 ratings  ·  1,635 reviews

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I'm having a hard time rating this book. 3.5? 3.75?

I think this could be a good sci fi to read if you're trying to transition from YA to Adult books.

You're following a group of 6 clones-astronauts who wake up not remembering what happened. They can see their old bodies floating around but can't remember which one of them, killed everyone!

I liked the mix of mystery and sci-fi and the premise was intriguing. I can't pin point what exactly didn't work for me with the writing. The dialogues maybe?
Philip
4/1/18 - This was voted as a Hugo finalist. Kind of baffled. I mean, it’s good, it’s entertaining, I just can’t imagine anyone putting it on their ballot as one of the five best books of the year? Not even just based on my preference, but that seems to be the consensus among my friends based on their ratings/reviews, even the ones who enjoyed it more than me. Good but not that good. Not Hugo good. More sloppy and forgettable. I never love all of the finalists in a given year, but I can usually r ...more
Bradley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a SF closed-room murder mystery! Six characters, six viewpoints, and a truly cool SF twist of constant cloning and memory re-investment. Resurrection!

But instead of losing us on the immediate lack of consequences because our murdered peeps keep coming back, we're dealt a hand where whole personalities can be hacked as easily as memories, and these poor saps all have richly criminal lives before they were "chosen" to be taking a long space-boat ride to another star. :) Hence, closed-room.
Hannah
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have complicated feelings on this and as is customary in such cases here are my thoughts, first in listform and then more elaborated (it feels like I haven’t done one of those reviews recently).

Pros:

- That premise.
- The plot.
- The world.

Cons:

- The characters.
- The narration.

I adore the premise of this: six clones who are crewing a spaceship filled to the brim with cryo-sleeping humans all wake up newly cloned with no memory of the last 26 years and a broken AI and have to figure out who killed
carol.
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery
Think And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, only with cloning chambers.

It's been a bit since I've enjoyed a sci-fi mystery--quite possibly not since Leviathan Wakes. Lafferty has written a closed-room murder mystery with an accessible sci-fi twist, hopefully pleasing mystery and sci-fi fans alike, as long as they can survive the cloning and time shifts.

Cloning was invented hundreds of years ago, after people discovered they could 'mind-map' personality and memories at a given point in tim
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/14/...

A crew of a compromised ship wake up to confusion and murder, with no memory of what came before. It’s not exactly a new premise, which is why when I first picked up Six Wakes, I thought I knew what I was in for—a mindless space adventure-thriller, with a bit of mystery thrown in perhaps. Turns out, I was wrong. Oh sure, the book had a little bit of this and a little dash of that, but it was also more than the sci-fi popco
Justine
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read

A really excellent mystery in space. The clone crew of a generational ship awake in freshly cloned bodies to find that they have been murdered...but none of them has any memory of the last 25 years they have crewed the ship together.

A wonderful character driven story that delves deep into the question of personhood. I don't normally read mysteries, but I found this one to be a real page turner.
Gary
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mur Lafferty’s Six Wakes has an intriguing setup – six clones wake up on a mid-journey colony ship to find their previous incarnations brutally murdered and discover that their memories have been sabotaged and their personalities hacked as they try to get to the truth of what happened. The novel is a generically fun and pleasurable read, but has one major design flaw: Lafferty plays her cards too close to the vest when it comes to her characters – the plot follows everyone but endears us to no o ...more
Mike
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always find it a bit tricky to review mystery novels. As a staunch anti-spoiler fanatic I often err to the side of not giving too much away, but that does run the risk of leaving reviews of the books, especially the good ones, a bit bare. Fortunately this book is also science fiction so there is plenty to dig into in that sphere.

I have always maintained that good science fiction isn't about space ships and lasers and aliens (though those qualities are always welcomed). Good science fiction is
Richard Derus
Pearl Ruled p70

I can't explain precisely why this was a failure for me. It felt hollow to me from the get-go, and I wasn't terribly happy with the authorial voice employed here.

Moving on.
Lindsay
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six new clones wake from their cloning vats to a scene of mass murder. The victims being the clone's predecessors. There is no-one else on board the starship, so the murderer must have been one of them, but the clones have no memory of it. So with a potential murderer on board and ship a victim of sabotage, the race is on to find out what's going on.

This book postulates a set of draconian rules around cloning of humans (the Codiciles) that has created two types of people, normal humans and nearl
Aditi
“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.”

----Voltaire

Mur Lafferty, an American author, has penned an intriguing science fiction thriller called, Six Wakes that centers around a spaceship carrying six crew members, where each one wakes up as a clone with no memory or record of what happened or who killed them, but only with the memory of dying. And as their bloody bodies floated around the space ship under ze
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/Ne7ad1KpN8U

This is a fantastic, suspenseful science fiction mystery novel that balances intrigue, excitement and the ethical challenges that emerge with technological advancements.

The premise behind this novel is fantastic. Essentially, the author designs a futuristic version of the traditional closed-room mystery by placing the story on an isolated ship in deep-space with a very small crew. This is such a refreshing take on the traditional mystery set
Emily
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Clue in space...with clones...and it totally works. A nice intro to scifi for mystery lovers as well.
Emily
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4.5 stars - I read about this book in an email newsletter. I have never heard of this author, but I'm glad I read it anyway. It was fantastic - I was hooked from the first page. The six (clone) crew of a generational space ship awake in new clone bodies and find their own previous bodies murdered and no memory of the last 25 years (That's basically the first page of the book). This is a action packed murder/mystery in space, and if you read sci-fi there's a good chance you'll like this one.

I su
Carlos
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars for me .. this was such a fun book, kept me in the edge all the time while i was reading. This is basically a who done it mystery but set in space, throw in technology far above ours, clones, a mysterious AI computer , a killer who might have forgotten his/her reason to kill everyone on board on the loose ,and a ship crewed by criminals who don't know who either of them was before they met on the ship , but are connected in a way that they won't find out till the end ..and what an en ...more
TL
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing: 3.5 stars
Characters and Plot 3.5 stars
Entertainment factor: 4 stars
----

This was a random add to my wishlist on Amazon when I was looking at another book (and a birthday gift from my good friend David, thanks!)

The writing here isn't the best and the plot takes awhile to get going while setting everything up but once we get to know everyone's histories and once more things go haywire, the story picks up.
(Run off sentence? Yes... aah well:-P)

Anyways, this kept my interest enough to keep
ashley c
Six Wakes starts off with a unique scene of murder in a spaceship. 6 clones wake up to find their previous selves murdered in baffling ways that they have no memory of, due to a hack in their memory.

Cue a series of who-did-what, accompanied with overused tropes and a clumsy attempt at writing group dynamics in an enclosed space. The characters were rather flat (their backstories are interesting but their personalities and motivations contrived and unnatural), which was a shame, because this set
Tom Lee
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book a low rating, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it as a beach read. I just can't help being disappointed at the gulf between the premise and its execution.

The setup: humanity has divided itself between clones -- who transfer minds down the years, cloned body to cloned body -- and baseline humans who do not. Aboard a generation ship bound for a distant star, a small crew is made of clones (and an AI) by necessity: the ship will be in space too long for a human lifes
Carlex
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English: on the blog: "review reviewed": https://girotix.blogspot.com.es/2017/...

Español: reseña en el blog: https://girotix.blogspot.com.es/2017/...

Three and half stars.

Six characters, all clones, wake up in a spaceship and they discover six corpses (their former clones) that have been murdered...

In other words, the novel is an intrigue about a puzzling multiple murder, but also a great speculation about a society in which cloning is legally (and illegally) possible (not spoilers here, this is
Veronique
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
Crime mystery in space with clones - indeed, I couldn't resist either.

Suspenseful and compelling, the story grabbed me early on. I particularly liked the way the narration was structured, giving voice to each of the 6 characters, following them in this claustrophobic situation while charting their past, piece by little piece, each shedding a different light on the whole picture.

The world Lafferty offers us is a complex one too, where the very existence of clones, and the technology that has perm
Tatiana
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hugo, 2018, sci-fi, nebula

Cinematic and would make a cool sci-fi show a la "Altered Carbon."

It is clearly written by a person very well versed in sci-fi - the "hard" part of the story is strong - the whole cloning theory is meticulously developed. It's the "soft" part that is lacking - characters, emotions, relationships are weak; not enough drama, not enough heart. While all main characters have interesting stories, they never felt fully realized and I never had any kind of attachment to them. It may be because
Chaitra
This was fun. It's a closed room murder mystery in space. The previous clones of the six member crew have died horribly, their AI is not responding and decades worth of their memories have been wiped out. Oh, they're also all criminals, given a chance to wipe out their sentences in exchange for crewing a generation ship across to a habitable planet in Tau Ceti. Their pasts are not talked about, but each of them is capable of killing, in their own way, and they're all hiding secrets. I didn't com ...more
Aerin
This book goes down very smooth and easy - like a fine liquor, I would say, if I were a fancy person. But it's really more like a diet soda: tastes sweet like candy, wakes up all the sluggish neurons, but has no nutritious qualities at all. Still, there really isn't enough fresh, light, and good science fiction like this.

The six-person crew of the generation ship Dormire awaken suddenly in cloning pods with no memory of how or why they are there. This is not an entirely unexpected development -
Annye
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Six Wakes is billed as a sci-fi thriller and murder mystery, but the thrill was on the mild side and the mystery reveal was disappointing. The sci-fi aspects of the story were interesting and thought-provoking, but for me the sci-fi elements couldn’t make up for lackluster plotting.

The premise for Six Wakes is that a small crew is piloting a generation ship on its way to Earth’s first non-Lunar colonization, taking with them hundreds of people and the supplies to build a home on a new planet. Th
Lata
Clones! In! Space!

Thoughts coming....
Amanda
4.5 stars Fantastic!
Kim Kaso
What a great book, full of compelling characters involved in a “locked room” mystery on steroids. Memory loss, technology, ethics, religion, revenge, and so much more are all thrown together in this fast-paced read. Had a busy day yesterday but all I wanted was to find a quiet corner, drink coffee, and finish my book. I loved Maria, Hiro, Joanna, IAN, and the crew of the Dormire. Strap in, you are in for an exciting ride! Very highly recommended.
C.W.
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cast of unreliable, secretive clones with storied pasts wake up to their previous iterations having all been murdered. This is a fun, well-balanced, quick, and interesting take on a mash up of ideas. Full video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjA5k...
Leah Bayer

I really wanted to like this more than I did. The concept is so interesting: Six Wakes is basically an Agatha Christie novel in space. Six people wake up on a spaceship freshly cloned. Their previous incarnations have been murdered, and they are the only people awake on the ship. So they have to solve their own murders... knowing that it's more than likely that one of them is a killer. Oh, and they all have criminal backgrounds, but none of them know what crimes the others have committe

• Uncanny Magazine Issue 15: March/April 2017
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • After Atlas (Planetfall, #2)
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • Elysium
  • Hunger Makes the Wolf (The Ghost Wolves, #1)
  • Company Town
  • Runtime
  • Dark Orbit
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga, #1)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • The Stars Are Legion
  • Dream Houses
Mur Lafferty is the author of Solo: A Star Wars Story and the Hugo and Nebula nominated novel Six Wakes, The Shambling Guides series, and several self pubbed novels and novellas, including the award winning Afterlife series. She is the host of the Hugo-winning podcast Ditch Diggers, and the long-running I Should Be Writing. She is the recipient of the John Campbell Award for best new writer, the M ...more
“Extremist individuals live inside every single group on the planet. Devout followers from Christian to Muslim who kill in the name of God, down to people who perpetuate a cycle of abuse from parent to child. And do you know at what point they’re labeled as terrorists?”
Martini said, “When the government—”
“When the news reports it. The news can take a starving refugee and make them into an invading migrant. One of my Black ancestors was photographed carrying diapers over his head after a flood. They called him a ‘looter.’ A white man was photographed doing the same thing. They called him a ‘survivor.”
6 likes
“Politics is almost never violent toward the people who are actually making the political decisions.” 5 likes