Start by marking “The Face” as Want to Read:
The Face

The Face

Orphaned and severely deformed, from her earliest moments Sarah Sims has been kept hidden away in a secret CIA facility--until an unexpected discovery gives her an opportunity to make a life for herself at last.Now Sarah has an ally, a long-lost aunt who has discovered her true identity. Aided by this brave psychologist, twenty-year-old Sarah must find the courage to confr ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face

StarMan
Since I'm no expert on this genre (suspense/thriller with mild romance by Christian author), I'll give this one 3 stars. I liked it, though it wasn't a mega-thriller and was fairly predictable. Folks interested in spies, science, computer geeks, (view spoiler), medical fields, or odd family reunions might enjoy this tale.

Sarah, a disfigured and sheltered 21-year old computer whiz, is discovered by a long-lost relative intent on changing both their l
Carolyn
Mar 28, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: topical
I am now a fan of Angela Hunt. Her books are intriguing because of their unique, thought provoking plots. This one is of a psychologist aunt trying to help her newly discovered niece, who has a severe physical deformities, have a life away from her work. The girl has been locked up in a facility since her birth without normal contact with other children her age, all because of the fear she would be unkindly treated by the world. She has had many surgeries to repair most of her deformities so she ...more
Carli
Nov 13, 2008 Carli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I think this one should be 3 1/2 stars. This is definitely a character-driven novel (which is my favorite kind), and it allows us to get inside the head of the two main characters; Sarah, a young woman with Treacher-Collins syndrome (a condition that causes severe facial deformity)who was orphaned under mysterious circumstances, and Renee, Sarah's aunt who for two decades doesn't even know that Sarah exists. Sarah currently works for the CIA in a top-secret capacity as a technological g ...more
Clara Dearmore Strom
Apr 08, 2009 Clara Dearmore Strom rated it really liked it
A good thought provoking book. Who are we and how much of it has to do with how we look. Sarah was born without a "face". Her only identify is as a CIA agent. She works and lives in a world of secrecy. It's not until a long lost aunt finds her and introduces her to her potential as a wonderful lovable human being that she blossoms, but the reality of pain comes with knowing love. Okay, I just did a mini book talk. The writing is great and don't be afraid if you see this in the Christian section ...more
Renette Julius
I liked the philosophical questions raised in this book, with regards to what it means to be human. And whether having a recognisably human face is required in order to be considered and treated as human. The plot did nothing for me though.
Kayle
Aug 20, 2014 Kayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually my second time through this book. I read it several years ago, and it really stuck with me. Recently, I was at my local library and they had a shelf of books that they were giving away for free. I snatched it up, of course, because I had liked it the first time I read it and because I just can't help myself when there are free books to be had.

I liked it just as much the second time through as the first. I have never read another book that has dealt with themes of beauty and its
Mary
Aug 04, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orphaned at birth, Sarah Sims has been kept hidden away in a secret CIA facility due to the fact that her father was a covert CIA agent. She was born with Treacher-Collins syndrome which resulted in her being born without a face. The CIA paid for surgeries for her so that she would be able to have basic functions of eating, hearing and speaking. But the surgeries stopped at a certain point so that she has a "freakish" appearance.

Sarah has developed keen computer skills that the CIA has put to u
Christine Lowe
Apr 10, 2016 Christine Lowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

Angela Hunt has the ability to tell a story so well I can see in my mind's eye everything she describes. This story was so good I didn't want to put it down. I was captivated by the characters. The medical and technical aspects were entirely new to me and very interesting.

Sarah was born cruelly disfigured by a disease called Treacher Collins syndrome. This causes all kinds of issues with the head. Sarah was one of the worst cases, it was as if someone had erased all her facial features
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How much of our identity is tied up with how we look? That is a question the reader will ponder while reading this novel about a young woman with a severe facial disfigurement. To make things interesting the main character, Sarah Sims, lives in a secret CIA enclave where she works as a computer expert. This makes things difficult for her aunt, Renee, a pyschologist who always thought Sarah had died at birth but then stumbles upon evidence that her niece might still be alive. Trying to find out t ...more
Stephanie
Aug 15, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Freud's Nightmare
Told from the alternating perspectives of Sarah and her Aunt Renee, The Face takes a thought-provoking look at personal identity, self-acceptance, emotionality, and the significance of life experiences – all without drawing attention from the heartwarming story. Cleverly disguised within an original and entertaining plot, Hunt examines important ethical issues currently found in both medicine as well as psychology, even managing to communicate their application to the general population in daily ...more
JoAnn
Oct 16, 2011 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, favorites
What an interesting, well written book. This is not an overtly Christian book, but I think some of the themes in it could be used as a jumping off point for a very interesting discussion.
Certainly there is love and sacrifice, but there is also the idea of identity and how our inner and outer selves affect one another. There is also the idea of taking the risk to break out of the safe, but stunted place we are in to participate in a world full of beauty and danger and the richness of emotion and
Rhonda
Jun 17, 2009 Rhonda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I have read other books by this author and they were REALLY good, I didn't feel this one was up to "her" par.

Sarah was born with Treacher-Collins syndrome--basically she didn't have a face. Swept away at birth, after being orphaned, to a facility operated by the CIA, she never left the facility she came to know as home.

Meanwhile, her (unknown)aunt Renee, while going through her mother's belongings, reads some documents suggesting that Renee's brother's baby was NOT stillborn, but is alive. Ren
Megan Rogers
Mar 27, 2010 Megan Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another book by Angela Hunt that really got me thinking. How would I treat someone who looked different or even frightening? I am not talking about someone who has alot of tattoos or dressed wierd, but someone who was born with a major facial, or another obvious, defect. I think it would be human nature to look twice, but would we shush our children and turn away, or would we attempt to show them Christ's love? This is not really a book review, just what I recall the book made me think. ...more
Linda Davis
Nov 12, 2015 Linda Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: general audience, readers of contemporary suspense
Recommended to Linda by: a gift
I haven't read a more intriguing novel than THE FACE which was released in 2008. Subject matter cannot get more cutting edge (pun unintended) than this one. Hunt's meticulous research is apparent on each page. While carrying the reader along a spellbinding plot line, she plumbs the deepest well of human emotions spawned by unspeakable birth defects. She sweeps the reader to the heights of modern medical technology while maintaining unremitting suspense and intrigue ... with a surprising twist or ...more
Nicole
Poorly constructed novel with slow plot development. Although author presented an interesting concept, the execution was weak. The book was way too long at nearly 400 pages! Several typos were present, including in the very first sentence of the book. A few thought-provoking questions were raised concerning emotional pain and memory implantation, which was interesting. Other than that, this book had little to offer.
Maam
Feb 23, 2011 Maam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyndi
Aug 24, 2010 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Without blowing the whole book, that is about as much as I can say regarding the ending! Has a smidgen of romance, CIA, spies, covert ops, what you would think to be sci-fi medicine (but in the authors notes, it said it is real). Really liked and would recommend. This is a slam dunk again by this author. My only slight complaint, was that I didnt feel it had as much about Christianity involved with several of the characters.
Chris
Oct 09, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. I learned about a birth defect I never knew anything about. (Had to search on the internet) There wasn't a lot of religion but the author did weave in some positive points. The book was about family, spying, covert assignments and an ending I wasn't expecting. It was a quick enjoyable read. I would read other books by this author.
Melissa
Though the first few pages were confusing, the rest of the book was understandable and exciting. It doesn't make much mention of the Lord--just one brief mention of faith and prayer--but at least there is no cussing or sex. If you like spies, computers, and medicine, then you will probably like this, written in a fast-paced yet thought-provoking way.
Shelly♥
Mar 31, 2009 Shelly♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2009
I've kind of been on an Angela Hunt streak. This is typical of what I've read so far - deeply troubled female needs to overcome personal obstacles to excel. A sprinkling of God here and there. I found this one quite engaging - although still a light read. And I guessed the ending, but not all of it. I liked the story, wish there had been more of it.
I find that Angela Hunt's books fall into two categories: first, the typical Christian fiction book with a heavy spiritual message or a well-researched contemporary book with a twist like "The Face". Very engaging, believable, lots of things to think about afterwards... just some of the great things I can say about this story. I hope Hunt writes more along this vein.
Megan
Feb 15, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can's decide whether to give this book a 1 or a 5! It was really good and believable but the ending was (SPOILER ALERT!!) really sad. Then the epilogue was happy. I gave it a 5 because for the most part I really liked it.
Michelle Nix
May 16, 2014 Michelle Nix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't read this book because I thought it might be disturbing. Man am I glad I did!! So, so good. Characters were great. I didn't want it to end and wish there was a sequel to check up on how Sara is doing! Don't miss this one!!
Geokowgurl
Aug 24, 2010 Geokowgurl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story. Suspense, romance, action, drama, all rolled up into one story! This was the first book that I have ever read of Angela Hunt's, but I will be sure to check out her other ones based on my reading experience with this one!!
Janelle
The Face shows Angela Elwell Hunt at her best. This is a gripping tale, with complex characters and challenging moral dilemmas that defy easy or pat answers. Although the plot is deceptively simple, it keeps the pages turning until the very last bittersweet moment. I thoroughly recommend it.
Lori
Apr 27, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this suspenseful novel very much. The plot is quite unusual, involving the CIA, the world of psychology, the medical field of facial transplants, and loving sacrifice. The dialogue is believable and the characters are well-developed.
Brianna Murray
Apr 03, 2013 Brianna Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have read in ablong time. Hunt gets deep into the emotions of her characters. Disabilitys are treated realistically and the author has done her research. I could not put this book down.
Heather
This book had real highs and lows. I enjoyed the start and end of the story, but the middle dragged as the focus turned to Sarah's work with the CIA. Although there was a reason for it, I still found this section very slow which spoilt the book for me.
Gina *loves sunshine*
at first I thought this book was going to be about the girl and her face reconstruction but it really turned out to be something different - I was pleasantly surprised although was left wanting more story!
  • Sometimes a Light Surprises
  • Miss Fortune (Allie Fortune Mystery #1)
  • The Passion of Mary-Margaret
  • The Feasts of the Lord: God's Prophetic Calendar From Calvary to the Kingdom
  • Hope in Front of Me
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Discover Your Spiritual Gifts: The Easy-To-Use, Self-Guided Questionnaire That Helps You Identify and Understand Your Various God-Given Spiritual Gifts
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Wild Rose (Wild Rose Series #1)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • Home Another Way
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Mission: Russia, #1)
  • A Rift in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • Healing Waters (Sullivan Crisp, #2)
  • Military Daddy (Mounted Color Guard, #2)
  • Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...