Start by marking “Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories

Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories

From the New York Times bestselling author of Sleeping in the Ground comes this brilliantly nuanced short story collection of twenty stories—most never before published in the US, and one of them an Edgar winner—which also features three Inspector Banks tales.

Peter Robinson pens thrilling tales rich with keen observations, pitch perfect dialogue, and shocking plot twists
Published December 5th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Not Safe After Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Safe After Dark

Start your review of Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories
Aisling
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's something about a collection of short stories at this time of year. It somehow feels like a gift to be getting multiple stories in one. And it's perfect for picking up and indulging in one more story before getting back to the chores. When you have a terrific writer making a collection of stories it is even better. As a fan of Inspector Banks, I really enjoyed reading the short stories/novella featuring him. The other short stories are just as tightly plotted, dialogue is revealing and a ...more
Lynn
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of short stories, but I like Peter Robinson's books. Some of the stories are good, some just OK. There are two about his regular character Inspector Alan Banks. Those were good.
Ray Palen
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
British author Peter Robinson takes a break from his best-selling DCI Alan Banks series --- a series that Stephen King has called the best on the market --- to put together a bunch of short stories in his collection entitled NOT SAFE AFTER DARK.

What I enjoyed even more than the stories themselves was the insight into the short story genre that Robinson presents in his Introduction. He states: 'Short stories offer a wonderful opportunity for the series writer to spread his or her wing
Ellie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Having never read any of Peter Robinson's work before, I went into this book blindly, not knowing what to expect. Although I can conclude that the book really is a mixed bag, full of some very good, original stories and others predictable and unnecessary.

Some obvious stand outs were 'Fan Mail', 'Innocence', 'Anna Said', 'April in Paris' and 'Going Back'. Each of these stories had good story lines and characters that were in some way well entwined in the plot. However they were a fe
Ron
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is more than one version of this collection and I read the original edition that my library had. There are 13 stories first published between 1989 and 1998, many in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. These are crime stories, murder mysteries, and for the most part I didn't enjoy them. The ick factor is a little too high for me in a couple of these stories. There were a couple I thought pretty good but my overall impression was that these are not stories I want to read. I very rarely read sto ...more
Kim
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Great collection of short stories from the author of the DCI Banks crime series - some stories and a novella at the end feature Alan Banks but the remainder have various topics and settings and demonstrate a good writing talent and attention to detail. Not the easiest genre to write in, as the author admits in the foreword, but he's done an admirable job - 8.5/10.
Kerry Pickens
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I love British mysteries, and I when I first received this book as an ARC from Goodreads--I was excited because I thought I had found a new favorite author. I enjoyed the Inspector Banks stories in the book, but the rest of the stories felt like they were just filler. There was one story, Innocence, that I thought was downright pervy.
WHPL Reference
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as mystery
Find it at the West Hempsead Library http://encore.alisweb.org/iii/encore/...
Gloria Feit
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this collection of short stories and three novellas, Inspector Banks is featured in four of the 20 tales. The longest, Going Back, has Banks returning to the home he grew up in to celebrate his parents’ golden anniversary, only to discover that he can’t escape being a policeman when faced with an evil-doer. He also learns a few things about himself. The various tales demonstrate the range of the author’s talents and writing style. Of course, the long-running Inspector Banks series, which now ...more
Jane
Some good stories, some not so good stories. I enjoyed the Inspector Banks stories the most, though I have two complaints.

This collection was read by four different narrators. The last Banks story, a novella really, was NOT read by audiobook boyfriend Simon Prebble but some other guy. Simon Prebble IS Alan Banks as long as he is alive to read him! (The narrator wasn't bad, just not Simon Prebble.)

The other thing is that the last story was set around the wedding anniversary of
Diane Griffiths
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

I have not read any of his books before, so I had nothing to base my opinion on as to his writing style. I did enjoy the Inspector Banks tales. Some of the stories were very good with good story lines and catching your interest.
Christine
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks novels and this short story collection caught my eye. Like most all short story collections, some appealed to me more than others. Not surprisingly, my favorite stories are those featuring Banks, especially the novella called "Going Back" in which Banks visits his parents for their 50th anniversary. Of the "non-Banks" stories, I liked "The Wrong Hands" about a lawyer and a widowed trophy wife the best.
Suzanne
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories by Peter Robinson were good and certainly contained some interesting twists! Several of the stories feature Alan Banks, Robinson's detective from the long-running series. They were the best but all are good. They feature a variety of locations and are set in different time frames.
Timothy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of short stories by Peter Robinson (Inspector Banks), often violent and macabre they are reflective of the places the author has lived and his career immersion in murder. They include a trip of Banks stories and two based on the actions of a World War II era Special Constable investigating murder near Leeds.
Marcia
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rarely ever read a collection of short stories but I recommend this one. It was nice to pick it up, read a story or two, and be on my way. I especially liked the story Fan Mail. How often does a mystery writer get a chance to actually plan the perfect murder for someone else? What could go wrong? It has a twist, as do may of the stories. This was a good read.
Esigs
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book in the Boston airport on the way home and thought it looked interesting because I’ve never read short stories before. I gave this book a chance and read almost halfway through the short stories and everyone just seem to fit the same exact pattern. It was told very well and the stories were excellent and then I couldn’t stand any of the endings. I finally had to put it down.
Readerskeeter
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve never read any Peter Robinson before but, with no expectations, I liked these stories. I am a fan of off beat, scary mysteries and for some reason, the Holiday Season is the perfect time for them. I like his approach and funky twists and I’m adding him to my “to read” list.
Joyce Carol Oates is one of my most admired authors and it shows that he studied with her.
Zella
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read all of Peter Robinson’s Inspector Banks novels and always find them enjoyable, especially the musical references. This collection has a couple visits by Banks, but also several new characters. I found this a good read and am starting to think I like short stories after all (though longer novels are still my preference).
PJ
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up to read while waiting for an Inspector Banks book by the same author that is next up in one of my book groups. I found the writing to be fine, but totally unsatisfying short stories. Each ending fell flat.
Jill
The author said he wanted to break away from DCI Banks, but there were still two stories about him in this. As with all collections, there were a couple that were not so good, but on the whole I found them to be very good. A few really set this reader thinking, and the twists were pretty good.
Phoebe
Recently re-issued in paperback, this book features several Inspector Banks stories, which are the best in the book. The other stories are edgy and twisted, set at various time periods and starring complicated characters who do unpredictable things. Short story fiction at its best. Adult.
Julie Siemek
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book to read over the holidays. Short stories that you can read when you have 15 minutes free. Some so-so tales, but most of them are wonderful. You won't be sorry you've taken the time to read this book.
Dan
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun short detective stories. Each with its unique twist.
Lovely Loveday
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great collection of short stories that makes you want to read just one more.
Bob Burch
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: detective-murder
Was disappointed with all the short stories, but I did enjoy the inspector banks
Fran
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When is a Peter Robinson book never a good book? Never.
Andy Plonka
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: src
I'm not really much of a short story fan so this isn't as highly rated by me as Robinson's other books but (save the best for last), the novella, Going Back was the best of the lot.
K Saju
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good ones on this collection
Margaret
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Anthology of short stories by Inspector Banks creator Peter Robinson.

Excellent way to while away a few hours.
Robin
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a pretty good collection of short murder mysteries. audio was well done

• Beau Death (Peter Diamond, #17)
  • In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)
  • Lux perpetua (Trylogia husycka, #3)
  • Louve (Thorgal, #16)
  • Alinoë (Thorgal #8)
  • La Cité du dieu perdu (Thorgal #12)
  • Księga strachu 2
  • L'Enfant des étoiles (Thorgal #7)
  • Księga strachu
  • Gringo wśród dzikich plemion
  • Aaricia (Thorgal, #14)
  • Grey Souls
  • Boży bojownicy (Trylogia husycka, #2)
  • La Magicienne trahie (Thorgal, #1)
  • Les Archers (Thorgal, #9)
  • Faraon
  • The Shameless (Quinn Colson, #9)
  • Godzina detektywów

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in English at York Uni