Start by marking “The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir” as Want to Read:

The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir

The "Mega Diva" and legendary star of Black-ish looks back on her memorable journey to fame and the unforgettable life lessons she learned along the way.

Jenifer Lewis keeps it real in this provocative and touching memoir by a mid-western girl with a dream whose journey from poverty to Hollywood will move, shock, and inspire readers.

Told in the audacious voice her fans
Published November 14th 2017 by Amistad

To ask other readers questions about The Mother of Black Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother of Black Hollywood

Start your review of The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir
Sakeenah Graham
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do not read this book!! Listen to the audiobook!!! You will do yourself a disservice by not hearing her words from her own mouth. I loved this book. She was of course real and raw but she brought it full circle and I could tell it was a genuine labor of love, to help people and not a Broadway/Hollywood tell all or a ploy to make some money. Well done!!
Brown Girl Reading
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Jenifer Lewis and lovers of memoirs
EXCELLENT memoir! I had the pleasure of reading and listening to the audiobook simultaneously. What a life this entertaining woman has had! I definitely recommend it, especially the audiobook because she is narrating it.
Orsayor
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book defines what a Memoir should be. No candy coated life stories here!

I laughed

#Legend
#Icon
Jamise // Spines & Vines
"Shoulders back, titties first" - Jenifer Lewis
Through triumphs and tragedy Jenifer Lewis keeps it real in this hilarious, laugh out loud, honest, and down to earth memoir. I'm so glad I chose to listen to the audiobook because the true essence of her spirit, her joys and her pains are revealed magically. Ms. Lewis' voice and animation draws you in immediately. This was the perfect book to kick of 2018 and the audiobook is a must!!

“JOURNAL ENTRY: Stop waiting for something or someone to come
Michael
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It is no secret that I love Jenifer Lewis, she is talented and iconic. Notable films include The Preacher's Wife,Nora's Hair Salon and other syndicated television shows. Not only is she hilarious but I love how blunt she is about life, that is rare with celebrities. Prior to reading this, my expectations were high but this one was a decent book. I knew that she had a bipolar disorder but finding out why was interesting, a new perspective on those that have the same condition. Besides a few ...more
Monique
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book started with so much promise. Jenifer Lewis was funny and honest. I enjoyed her antics but then the book took a turn when she started listing all of the people she knew who had died from AIDS. I was listening to the audio version so it sucked all the air out of my car. I had my brother in the car with me and I was bragging about how funny she was and then she got so depressing.

I also believe Jenifer Lewis is a bigger star in her own mind than in actuality. Ms. Lewis named all these
Ezinwanyi

Enjoyment:
Narration by Jenifer Lewis:
Plot:
Writing:
I listened to this story and was fascinated. It was dramatic, over the top and loud just like the actress. Jenifer Lewis has lived an eventful life thus far. I found this audiobook more succinct, more dramatic and more in depth than many of the memoirs I’ve read of late.
I loved that she told her own story and controlled the narrative in a way that introduced her to the audience so we get a rounded picture of her life in front of and behind
Keyona
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was funny, honest, loud and way over the top just like the writer. I'd expect nothing less from Jenifer Lewis. I of course listened to the audiobook version which provides the entire experience. She's quite honest about her childhood, her mental health, her sex life, and the ups and downs of being a hollywood diva. Before reading this I only thought she was an actress. I had no idea that she had these roles in between her one-woman shows and could really perform. My only annoyance was ...more
Dee's Reading Zone
"The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir" was a very thought-provoking memoir that was funny, inspiring while managing to capture Lewis's true self without being to commercial in Black Hollywood. You will find yourself giggling oftentimes about her life story but crying too with all she has endured to stay true to herself in the face of her addictions and staying noticeable in Black Hollywood. This was Jenifer Lewis' story... not a gossip rag to divide a people or shock the readers but to ...more
Nakia
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of the three memoirs I read this year, The Mother of Black Hollywood was my fav. such candor and transparency. Even through sharing her struggles with mental illness, sex addiction and a childhood riddled with poverty and loneliness, Jenifer Lewis is laugh out loud funny. As soon as I finished the last page, I turned on Jackie's Back and vowed to catch up on Black-ish. I love her and I'm glad she is finally reaching the success she aspired to since the 70s.
Bobbieshiann
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
The Mother Of Black Hollywood has spoken when she tells her story without a filter. She faces so many trials and it is applauding to see her keep stepping. Being able get a glimpse of what life was like prior to the 2000s was beautiful .

Black love, showbiz, sacrificing time just to so you can do what you love. Ms. Lewis touches on her sexual escapades, the AIDS epidemic hitting, sexual abuse, death after death after death, mental battles that finally had a name years later (bipolar dispersed).
Christina Thomas
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I am listening to this on Audible. I enjoy Jenifer bleep bleep Lewis as an actress (if you read the book you got that)! I however am not enjoying this memoir. I appreciate her candor and transparency. Everyone has a story and I'm grateful that she is sharing hers, but the book is hard to listen too. Ms. Lewis has a distinct and heavy theatrical voice. It's a little much for 10+ hours. Although she shares a lot of information about herself. I still don't get a sense that I know her. If that makes ...more
Jessica
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: H. Adam
It is ESSENTIAL that you experience this book as an audio book. What a storyteller. She gives me life.
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
5/5

Bravo! Ms. Lewis opens her life, without fear or pause, to present a memoir befitting a woman who, to this point, lived without apologies. She refuses to hold back, respecting her readers enough to give them the truth they paid to read or hear. For the pearl clutchers out there she appears strong, and rather unladylike, but to this diamond wearer, she's certified gold.

Upfront and a tad raunchy titles (Read Them!) ushers chapters discussing everything from her sex addiction, diverse career on
stacia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Jenifer Lewis. Always have. So when I found out she'd be releasing a memoir, I immediately added it to my TBR list. This book is, in many ways, exactly what you'd imagine, if you follow Lewis's career. The voice is very authentic; you can tell she penned it all herself. No "as told to"s here. The language is colorful and there are enough accounts of sexual escapades to leave you blushing. (As someone who grew up with a crush on Gregory Hines, I was especially flustered when he appeared ...more
Natasha
I love hearing these celebrities narrating their own stories. Jenifer Lewis is no exception. Her big personality shined through on this audio. I learned a lot about her that I didn't know, which wasn't hard since I don't follow celebs lives. I've only known her to be the Mother of Hollywood and was unaware of her background in Broadway. It was also interesting to learn about her mental struggles. I found myself raising my eyebrows throughout the book before I learned the reason why behind her ...more
Janani
Starkly honest and powerful. She talks about her life, her career, opens up about her BPD and sex addiction, her family and so much more. It's entertaining and hilarious and touching all at the same time. The audiobook narration is a great experience.
Deniece
Absolutely love everything about this memoir! Aunty Jenie was fabulous as always.
Cam
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jenifer Lewis who plays the mother on the hit tv series is bipolar and her addiction was sex. And she lived a very interesting life.
I started this book thinking what on earth am I reading. Lol I wish this book started with her growing up first instead of her present going back to her past. I kept thinking why does she keep talking about how many different men she was sleeping with but I kept pushing forward. By chapter 9 it explained everything.
Monique
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully Written Truth

I've always loved Jenifer Lewis. I was shocked to read her story. To realize that she dealt with a difficult childhood, numerous romantic relationships, survived college and still conquered Hollywood give me hope for the future. Ms. Lewis's honesty and clear "I don't give a damn" attitude is refreshing. Read and learn about an amazing Black Woman.
Shameka
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do yourself a favor—get the audiobook version and listen to Jenifer Lewis read her memoir! My goodness! This woman is a Black and National treasure!!
J Beckett
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can be said about Jenifer Lewis that she doesn't say, fervently, about herself?

Lisa Stein
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Heard an interview with Jenifer Lewis on NPR last week, and decided to read this book.

It was very well written. A couple of times I wasn't sure of the timeline, but that didn't distract from the magnificent story telling.

Warning: language and subject matter can be shocking.

Solid 4 1/2 stars. I feel like I save five stars for OMG you must read this now. This is a "wow, you should read this, very interesting..." novel.

If you're a fan of Broadway, acting, celebrity histories, this is definitely
Kia Kia
Jenifer MF Lewis performed the hell out of her story!!! I was captivated from the beginning until the end. She seriously took me through every single emotion in this book! Her story and delivery are AMAZING!

I STRONGLY encourage you to get the audio version, I can't imagine feeling so connected to her story of I had simply read the words on paper.

LOVED IT!!!
Michelle Leonard
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
(I’m really considering a 5 rating) I’m still processing and decided not to start a new audiobook today in order to cleanse my pallet. Where do I start with this lady? She is truly larger than life. She mentions in her book that her personality is so big that people either love her or hate her and she’s so right. I’m in the love her camp.
Zoe's Human
This review is specifically of the audiobook version read by the author.

Did you know that the default setting for loan time on a digital audiobook with the NC Digital Library is 1 week unless you go into your settings an change it in advance? Yeah, me neither. Renewal is not an option when there's a hold list, but you can get back on it and wait and wait and wait for your turn again. It can be a long wait to pick back up at Chapter Ten. Check your digital library settings folks.

On to the book
Shannon
The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir

I Picked Up This Book Because: I like Jennifer Lewis and I needed something to listen to on my road trip.

The Story:

I had NO idea that Jennifer has been in so many productions. Really I hadn’t given much thought to her at all beyond Aunt Helen and Ruby Johnson. She is so accomplished but she breaks it down to the real deal in this book. Not every win was easy and there were many challenges to overcome. She speaks candidly about her family, her
Never Without a Book
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenifer Lewis
The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir in audio,and before I started, I read that many didn’t care for her voice and now I know why. I felt she was overly theatrical. This book was hilarious for the first 4 chapters then it got dark, I mean real dark. Jenifer lets you in on her most personal moments from the men in her life, her struggles with bipolar disorder and the havoc it wreaked in her early life and her success in acting. This book is really worth the read just don’t do the
Kimberly
She is majestic! This memoir is raw, hysterical, and moving. It was an interesting peek into Black Broadway and Hollywood in the late 70s and 80s. Has anyone written a book about that yet? I need more. Anyhoo, if you read this (and you should,) listen to the audio version. She reads it herself, and it is a gift!
Lynecia
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An irreverant, no-hold-barred account of the life of one of Black Hollywood's most well-known actresses. If you know Jenifer Lewis, you know her personality is larger than life and she has no shame in her game. She has lived a remarkable life, and accomplished so much in her career despite personal turmoil in her personal life. If you read it, Please listen to the audio!

• Around the Way Girl
  • Every Little Step: My Story
  • I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual
  • I Almost Forgot About You
  • Well, That Escalated Quickly: Memoirs and Mistakes of an Accidental Activist
  • More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
  • This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare
  • So Close to Being the Sh*t, Y’all Don’t Even Know
  • Blessed Life: My Surprising Journey of Joy, Tears, and Tales from Harlem to Hollywood
Jenifer Lewis is one of Hollywood’s most familiar faces, with more than 300 appearances in film and television. Dubbed a “national treasure” by TVGuide.com, Jenifer currently stars on the Emmy-nominated hit show “Black-ish,” where her hilarious portrayal of Ruby Johnson earned Jenifer a nomination for the 2018 Critics Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress in a TV comedy series.

Jenifer’s
“And, I want other women to know they can stand up and MUST stand up to your persecutors. Feel the fear, and do it anyway. We are all as sick as our secrets y'all. Remember that sh*t.” 8 likes
“JOURNAL ENTRY: Stop waiting for something or someone to come and make you happy. Meditate daily. Breathe. Come on. You’re okay. You have friends. Love them. Respect them. Go out and play. Learn to be alone.” 7 likes