Start by marking “Moura” as Want to Read:
Moura

Moura

(Moura #1)

Anne Wicklow left her post as housekeeper at a girls school to look after the safety of one of her charges, who was suddenly taken to gloomy Chateau Moura by her strange guardian. Once there, Anne found herself fascinated by Edmond, the brooding surly master of Moura.
248 pages
Published 2008 (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Moura, please sign up.
Be Amazon is where I got mine. I have to add more to this answer now. I bought Moura from Amazon for my kindle , have always wanted to read this ,…moreAmazon is where I got mine. I have to add more to this answer now. I bought Moura from Amazon for my kindle , have always wanted to read this , however I didn't read the reviews on Amazon before I purchased it, it is full of errors and missing whole sections , you can be reading and all of a sudden it cuts off mid sentence and they are in a totally different place and in the middle of a conversation with someone whom was not mentioned in the book prior (if that makes any sense) ok long story short - don't buy the kindle version from Amazon if you can get the paperback version, do that .(less)

Skye
This beautifully written Gothic tale receives a clear 4.5/5 star rating. It was a lovely reading experience. Virginia Coffman writes a novel containing wonderful Gothic elements: atmosphere, a tarnished castle in France, a brooding, devil-may-care master, both handsome and dangerous, a vulnerable English maiden in search of a student who had been swept away, woods filled with angry, hungry wolves, and an Englishman looking for a frivolous, yet missing chamber maid. I loved it.
Christine Honsinger
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gothic-suspense
this is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt the most "gothic-y" styled book i have read to date, bar none...its all there, everything you have come to expect from a fabulous gothic romance...I was spooked from beginning to end, and i loved the main girl Anne Wicklow...and for these reasons I rated it as "amazing" with 5 stars. I have already started ordering all it's sequels, looking around carefully for versions with the old original art on them. I loved that I could place myself in Anne's p ...more
Terri Edwards
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rarely would I say a book is "amazing," but I have to here. Virginia Coffman, where have you been all my life? This book had everything: atmosphere; beautiful, descriptive prose; creepy characters; suspense; a huge dose of the "creepy" factor. It kept me guessing and turning the pages to see what would happen next. For a Gothic-light story, this one packed a punch! If the rest of her books are this good, and I'm planning to find out, then I'm in for a treat.
Be
Seriously , seriously disappointed! I couldn't read the kindle version of this book, so DNF. I bought Moura from Amazon for my kindle , have always wanted to read this , however I didn't read the reviews on Amazon before I purchased it, it is full of errors and missing whole sections , you can be reading and all of a sudden it cuts off mid sentence and they are in a totally different place and in the middle of a conversation with someone whom was not mentioned in the book prior (if that makes an ...more
Cate Marsden
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 60s-70s-gothic
This was brilliant, the most Gothic thing that ever Gothicked. It sets up all the elements I love in 60s/70s Gothics.
Reading too many of these as a child is probably why I used to want to be a housekeeper.
Joanne Renaud
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
The gothic romance that started the big 1960s Gothic revival, by Virginia Coffman, aka "Queen of the Gothics." Set in early 19th century England and France, this is a fun, solid read-- very entertaining.
William
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the all-time classic Gothic romances, and one of the novels--along with Victoria Holt's "Mistress of Mellyn"--that launched the 1960s and 70s craze for the late twentieth-century reinterpretation of the late eighteenth/early nineteenth-century genre. Liberally borrowing from "Jane Eyre" (in a good way), "Moura" has it all: a spirited young heroine, the sinister house, brooding hero, suspenseful doings, and of course, a final twist. It's pure pleasure all the way, with requisite chills and ...more
Yue
Excellent Irish heroine. A chateau in France. A Combing Lady Ghost. Murders. Wolves. Cellar and dungeons. Good friends. A dashing Master. Mystery. Spooky scenes. Carnival.

To add more to these wonderful selection of things that I am always looking for in a Gothic Romance: the heroine's name is Anne. She is brave, sensible. Later on she becomes the housekeeper of the mansion (second best post to governess/nanny). She has likeable allies. She faces terrific moments (that made my heart beat faster).
Diane
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Atmospheric and keeps you guessing. Excellent read. I bought the first two books in one volume. Looking forward to reading the second.
Katherine
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading 'Moura', I found myself wondering how it had managed to garner such gushing reviews on Goodreads. The main character seemed to me quite lifeless - easily-charmed, overly-dramatic - and the writing almost unreadable: from a first-person perspective but written in an unusually third-person manner ('After all, my girl, this is 1815!').

Yet, somewhere between Miss Nutting's and Moura itself, a sea-change seems to take place: the writing becomes fast-paced and gripping, An
Nancy Young
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This classic Gothic tale had it all--strong heroine, alpha male, insanity, gruesome goings-on--and all long before such stuff was common fare (it was first published in 1959).
Amy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kathy
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Moura by Virginia Coffman
Originally published in 1959
This review is for the epub edition published in 2012 by Candlewood Books

Originally published in 1959, Moura is considered a classic of the modern Gothic Romance genre, and its author, Virginia Coffman, is said to have been “largely responsible for setting off the Gothics craze of the 1960s,” earning her the reputation of “Queen of the Gothics.” It was during the late 60s and into the 70s that I, too, was bitten by the Gothic Romance bug and I
Mary Jo
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars are for fun...this is an example of the right book at the right time. I just thoroughly enjoyed reading this, even though I suspended my disbelief. I would be interested in reading more books by this author.
Gail Gibbs
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
Virginia Coffman may not have invented the New Gothic Romance of the seventies, but she seized the genre with both hands and ran with it. The Ann Wicklow series full of spooky castles, brooding heroes, eccentric domestics, mysterious deaths, and the classic spunky-but-not-always-bright heroine. A quick and fun read, and a good example of this style of novel.
Leslie
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books-read
Allegedly the original of the "modern Gothic," which I suppose is possible since the publication date in this copy is 1959. Wildly improbable in places, but enjoyable enough, and there are definitely a lot of nods to Jane Eyre, as well as a reference to Montoni from The Mysteries of Udolpho, so she appears to have some familiarity with her predecessors.
Ralph Carlson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A gothic romance that I read out of curiosity, having heard that Virgina Coffman could tell a good story. She can, as I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would.
Hafiza
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Gothic from the 1970's now available as an ebook.
Not quite as romantic as Victoria Holt but heavy on the Gothic element.
I Read
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dark
I enjoyed the different setting to my usual books but I have read better.
Cassandra Chancey

• Window on the Square
  • Darkwater
  • Waiting Sands
  • The House of a Thousand Lanterns
  • The Eden Passion (Eden, #3)
  • Watch the Wall, My Darling
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)
  • Isabel the Fair
  • Merlin's Keep
Virginia Edith Coffman aka Jeanne Duval, Diana Saunders, Victor Cross, Ann Stanfield, Virginia C. Du Vaul, Kay Cameron.

A native of San Francisco, Coffman contributed movie reviews to the Oakland Tribune from 1933-40. She graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1938 and was a movie and television script writer for Columbia, RKO, and other Hollywood studios in her early writing car

Moura (5 books)