Start by marking “The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms” as Want to Read:
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

With more than 700 mushrooms detailed with color photographs and descriptive text, this is the most comprehensive photographic field guide to the mushrooms of North America. The 762 full-color identification photographs show the mushrooms as they appear in natural habitats. Organized visually, the book groups all mushrooms by color and shape to make identification simple a ...more
Published December 12th 1981 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published December 12th 1980)

Be the first to ask a question about The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

Start your review of The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
WaferBiscuits
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature-writing
An invaluable, easy to use tool for all of your mushroom identification needs. The way it’s structured makes it super easy to thumb through without hassle. A must-have for anyone interested in mycology in the field, both amateur and professional
Isaac Wayne
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible reference material! Easy to use in the field and full of fantastic photographs. Would recomend to anybody interested in mycology.
Anna Duca
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love all the Audubon field guides and this one is no different.
Deb Delk
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foraging
An invaluable tool for learning to identify wild mushrooms
Shannon Telles lisowski
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An awesome tool for any mushroom hunter. I learned more than I thought I would. My only complaints.....the lay out and the bulk of the book as I do like to take them into the woods with me.
M
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This here is a field guide worth its salt, especially for the beginning mushroomer. I took up mushrooming about six months ago, and this has been my bible during that time, largely because of the plates, which are abundant and of very high quality; it enables the user to triangulate between the mushroom found, a mushroom depicted in the plates, and the more subtle identifying features that are described in the text portion following the plates. Readers can expect to find information about spore ...more
Kasey Jane
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a massive guidebook replete with color plates and an excellent key system. It contains enough information to satisfy someone who has been identifying mushrooms for several years, and many plates show phenotypic differences among the more popular species.

I would not recommend this book to someone who wants to learn mushroom hunting unless they have previous experience with the Audubon guides. I just think this book is a little too dense for a novice -- the pages and pages of LBMs are a l
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, nonfiction
Fabulous color plates. Good descriptions. While no guide should be one's lone resource in mushrooming, this one is the closest I've found to a comprehensive and reliable option. I often partner this with Michael Kuo's work (his books or his website) and call it a day...unless of course I'm looking for a meal, in which case I always consult every resource I have.

I would call this book an absolute must-have for mushroom hobbyists. A+.
Jess
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (National Audubon Society Field Guides)" by National Audubon Society is a fabulous field guide on mushrooms in North America. With tons of pictures, and TONS of information on EACH mushroom, you will be able to learn about pretty much any mushroom you find in North America. This is a great field guide, and would be great for reference. I would read it again.

2015-Summer-Reading-Review
Tim
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-outdoors
This is a user-friendly guide to trees in the Eastern U.S.A. So far, I have found it to be an enjoyable item to put in my backpack for a day on the hiking trail or the park. The book is clearly organized, with sections for leaves, flowers/nuts, and a couple of other categories. It is a good size, and the illustrations are clear. This book will help you identify trees. However, it is not a textbook or a serious introduction to the study of trees - for that, you would need something else.
D
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Relatively compact size, beautiful photographs, concise descriptions, and easy to use -- definitely a good reference for mushroom hunters and interested nature lovers alike. You can't ask for much more to a good field guide than this.
Syroezhka
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: practical
I am an avid mushroom forager (as you can guess from my alias). This book has been my reliable source for mushrooming in the U.S. It is detailed, has excellent illustrations and organized in a clear way. I love this book.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Superb. Fantastic. Phenomenal. Changed my life.
Susan
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
while not finished reading, this is an excellent book for even beginners, with good photos, and very descriptive info on the mushrooms. a must for any forager
stew
Jan 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Useful and interesting, but I still don't trust myself to make proper ID with these things. Knowing my luck, I'd turn purple, puff up and have my eyes melt out of their sockets. Purty pix, though.
Tofu Fairy
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT ref guide...almost 800 color pics! I was able to ID most of the shrooms I've photographed!
Jacob
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good book for the beginning mushroom hunter. Many species identified. Convenient size for packing in the field.
Jim
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good reference, although I found it difficult to look up specific instances for identification. That may be my lack & not theirs though. Like their other books, this is a very good buy. ...more
Maggie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2015
Very easy to comprehend and figure out what mushroom I was looking at
Maya Dellor
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. It seems like it has every mushrooms. The only thing is it's pretty hard to identify what you've found using this book because there's just so much to look through.
Dash
Jul 27, 2015
Andrew
Jan 11, 2012
Charvet
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015
Dec 17, 2015

• National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • The Psilocybin Magic Mushrooms Bible: The complete Guide to Cultivation and Safe use of Magic Mushrooms
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • A Woman Alone
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • Simon  Schuster's Guide to Mushrooms
  • The Code: The of Power of "I Will"
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
  • 1900: Or; The Last President
  • Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
  • The Animators
  • Bittersweet
  • M Is for Magic
  • The Last Wife
  • A Good Idea

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »