Start by marking “The Kingdom of Back” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Back

The Kingdom of Back

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu comes a historical YA fantasy about a musical prodigy and the dangerous lengths she'll go to make history remember herperfect for fans of Susanna Clarke and The Hazel Wood.

Two siblings. Two brilliant talents. But only one Mozart.

Born with a gift for music, Nannerl Mozart has just one wishto be remembered forever. But even
Published March 3rd 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Back, please sign up.
ella areleah It will be out as a hardcover and Ebook on March 3, 2020. It is not specified when it will come out on paperback.

Start your review of The Kingdom of Back
Emily May
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2020

Without a doubt, this is Marie Lu's most fascinating book to date.

In school, we studied Virginia Woolf's concept of the fictional "Shakespeare's sister". In A Room of One's Own, Woolf imagines that Shakespeare had a sister who was as talented, as imaginative, as capable as her brother, but because she was a woman, she had to stay home. She never had the opportunities
Nick
Oct 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
Who spread the rumor that Marie Lu has replicated herself and the army of hers is going to attack us with a million books during the upcoming years?
jessica
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love it when stories have the power to inspire action. i love that feeling when you turn the last page and you arent ready to let go of the story just yet, so you do something to make its presence linger, to keep the story in your heart just a little longer.

this made me pick up my violin, which i havent touched in about a year, and play one of mozarts violin concertos that i learned when i was a teenager. it was a struggle, but i loved that this story motivated me to do that.

i think fans of
Cardan Greenbriar -- PLEASE STAY HOME AND SAFE
But be wary of what you wish for, he went on. Wishes have a habit of surprising their makers.

I SHIT YOU NOT THIS BOOK REMINDS ME OF MY KINGDOM
and me

What great injustice that after 4 days of release this book only has less than 400 ratings
Who set the date similar to another *ahem* overly hyped book's release date?
anyway
talk about a motherfucking book hangover

I am such a mess that i don't even know how to properly review

I have never cried this much during a happy ending

So our very beloved
Hamad
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I just started this and I have forgotten how magical Marie's writing style is!!

description
Claudia Ramírez
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Miranda Reads
Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
I've been burned so many times... and yet here I am, crawling back for more.

Can you smell the desperation?

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
Simona Bartolotta
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as wishlist
I think new series should be kept secret until, say, six moths before the release, especially if it's an author like Marie Lu we're talking about, because jeez, my heart plummets when I look at that hideous "Expected publication: 2019". Just sayin'.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This came in my March Owlcrate. Pretty silver, shimery edges. And candle, socks, notecard, Art, lip balm, etc.

Omg! I had no idea Mozart had a sister that was just as talented, but held back for being a girl. Girls werent allowed to compose!!

Marie talks about this in her acknowledgments so read that as well. Shes added some fantasy to the world with a bit of truth. Im thoroughly impressed and enjoyed the book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Tucker
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
"Perfect for fans of The Hazel Wood"

***********
Kingdom of Back? Like is everyone a spine?

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Ashley
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-march
Star Rating: > 4 Stars

What a wonderful fairytale filled with all the ingredients to make a story an absolutely joyous adventure to read!

This made me feel like I was a little girl again, in one corner of the house or another, reading in the sunlight.

Truly a beautifully and elegantly woven tale, about Nannerl Mozart, the brilliant sister that time almost left forgotten, & her brother Wolfgang, their secret kingdom, music, faeries, magic, & most of all, love.

💙
Mary S. R.
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Mozart, who'd you think?
To be remembered in this world, she created another.

Thou who hath pranced amidst this land,
Thou who hath walked upon thy hand,
And thou who hath danced on the river's strand...

Behold my quietus, my quiet stand!
Behold these tears and please withstand,
My wailing and waning and weening, and,
Behold my deathof thee, I demand!

Oh lo and behold my life so damned,
And watch my dawning demise, so grand;
Then seize my murderer, oh that I command
Bury and bind the book in this sand,
Within my grave, this during
Mara YA Mood Reader
3/22/2020
The story you already know is set in a real land, full of kings and castles and courts. There are long carriage rides and summer concerts and a little boy in a royal coat.

The story you have never heard is set in a dream of fog and stars, faery princelings and queens of the night. It is about the Kingdom of Back, and the girl who found it.

I am the sister, the other Mozart, and the girl who found it.

*eeeeek* Will the unboxing of my exclusive Owlcrate edition finally prompt me to read?
Candace Robinson
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasnt sure what to expect when I started this. I also knew nothing about Wolfgang Mozart besides him being a famous pianist. As for Nannerl, I had never heard of her! As the pages turned, I wanted to know more about them! Not just in the story, but in real life as well! I was pleasantly surprised about how much I loved this!

Nannerl was a girl I truly felt for, especially during this time where women werent truly equals. But her brother, Wolfgang, AKA Wolferl, was so freaking adorable, cute,
Sylvie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75

This was one of the most magical books I've read!

Review will be posted very soon.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
THIS WAS ENCHANTING. Hands down one of my favourite books EVER. Haunting, lyrical, and beautifully written. This might even be my favourite Marie Lu book ever. It's definitely more literary than her other books and also one that could appeal to any age, young or old. Highly recommend!!
hannah ✧/ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ (on hiatus)
update: look!!! every time I get new information about this book my heart swells with excitement

_____

I ADDED THIS BOOK AS SOON AS I SAW MARIE LU'S NAME and when I read the description it got even better

I've always thought it sad that Nannerl couldn't pursue music like her brother because 18th century gender roles are the worst. plus, it's MARIE LU, so this is basically guaranteed to be amazing

but 2019....that's so far away.................. *weeps silently into bowl of cheerios*
Elle Rudy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, bookishfirst
An elegantly beautiful story about a sister and brother told through the lenses of history and fantasy, I was unexpectedly touched by this offering from Marie Lu. This is a departure for the YA Sci-fi/Fantasy writer, and despite her Legend series being published first, I was surprised to learn shed written The Kingdom of Back prior to it.

The tone of this reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth, but centered around the childhoods of Maria Anna and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, known to one another as Nannerl
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Dec 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Marie Lu is just releasing new book after new book, I am so down for this. I will read her friggin grocery list if given the opportunity. Shes one of best ya writes ever ...more
Andreea Pop
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Um.............. WHAT IS THIS????
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
As someone who played the piano for over 10 years, consider me INTRIGUED!!!??

Like what is this synopsis???!!! Whatever, I'm here for it:)
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Zoë ☆
THIS WAS FREAKING AMAZING, Im crying right now it was so beautiful 😩😢💗
Go read this!!
----
The Kingdom of Back is SUCH a beautiful and enchanting read! I LOVED the magical world so much, and the combination with historical fiction made it an amazing and PERFECT read for me! The best thing about this book though was easily the writing. It was so enchanting and wonderful to read. Whenever I picked up the book, I was completely sucked into the world!

Thinking back on it (I finished it almost a week
☆ Mira ✷
May 30, 2018 marked it as tbr-good-authors
Shelves: i-want-it-now
I never thought Id see Mozart become a YA legend. But Marie Lu has made me ship 15 year olds, cry for days, and fail my final exams, so I have complete faith that she will make it happen. ...more
Bethany
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kingdom of Back is something different from Marie Lu, but is still filled with her lush descriptions, well-developed characters, and wonderfully imaginative worlds. This is a stunning work of historical fiction with elements of magic, focused on the little known story of Mozart's sister Nannerl and the fairytale kingdom they created as children. It is about the constraints placed on women during that time and the desire to leave a lasting effect on the world, but it is also about the bond ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Penguin International for the gifted copy of The Kingdom of Back!

The Kingdom of Back is the first book by Marie Lu that I've read. Historical fiction isn't a genre I usually read. My first one was The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi and it's one of my favorite books of all time! So I went into this one with an open mind and I was pretty excited to try it out. The best way to describe this book is historical fiction with a hint of wild magic.

Marie Lu has wonderful writing. Her writing
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
5/5 ⭐

Thank you so much to PRH International for providing me with an awesome free box of goodies including this book in exchange for an honest review!

"The shore's sand was very white, the seashells very blue, and through the curling sea foam walked a boy."

I knew from page 1 I would love this book. It is actually my first book by Marie Lu, but it certainly will not be the last. Her writing is whimsically beautiful and gripped me from the very beginning of the story. This story is a lyrical
Tani
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
RATINGS: 2.5 STARS

"Look hard enough, Fräulein, and the kingdom will show you every truth that your world doesn't."

Kingdom of Back is a historical retelling of the Mozart siblings, Nannerl and Woferl, with faeries. It's magical realism. Although the concept of the book had much potential, it misses it's mark. It's predictable and dismal.

The story is based upon the childhood of Marianne 'Nannerl' Mozart and Wolfgang 'Wolferl' Mozart. Like her brother, Nannerl has talent of music and composure.
micolreads
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a scream of all the women who want to be recognized for their talent and courage, who want to be on the first line and never stand back.
Lu was amazing at showing what a woman would feel in a 18th century Europe, using a girls eyes as a camera, to show what being a woman was when women where considered nothing.

I really appreciate the choice to give a lot of space to the fraternal bond between the main characters; I think it just added to the story in a way romance could not.
asbah
Sep 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: standalone-tbr
um, id read anything by this woman. ...more
Bookish First Rea...: The Kingdom of Back by Marie Lu 18 18 Dec 10, 2019 12:41PM

• Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and

Articles featuring this book

“I am going to tell you a story you already know. But listen carefully, because within it is one you have never heard before.” 3 likes
“The older we were, the less magnificent we seemed.” 1 likes