Start by marking “Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope” as Want to Read:
Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope

Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope

On January 21, 2017, over 5 million people in 673 cities around the globe gathered in solidarity for the Women’s March, carrying signs that shone with unwavering hope and determination and demanded the protection of women’s rights, opposed the newly inaugurated U.S. president, and championed equality and justice for all. Why We March presents more than 300 of the most ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Why We March, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We March

Start your review of Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope
Nat
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On January 21, 2017, millions of people gathered worldwide for the Women's March, one of the largest demonstrations in political history. Together they raised their voices in hope, protest, and solidarity.
This inspiring collection features hundreds of the most eloquent, provocative, uplifting, clever, and creative signs from across the United States and around the world. Each is a powerful reminder of why we march.

Why We March was the perfect read to satisfy my need for more after having
Roxane
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fine commemoration of signs from the Women's March. It would have been nice to have some contextual essays included in the book but this is well worth a look.

Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. Simply wonderful.

This book is exactly what it says it is - a collection of photos from the 21st of January 2017 at numerous Women's Marches from all around the world. The photos show people of all ages, races, sexualities and genders coming together to protest for women's rights. It is super positive, uplifting and emotional throughout. I remember that day being extremely emotional for me, to see everyone uniting for what they believed in was just so powerful. We will never get
Amy
This is such an important and valuable book. I liked it so much that I went to my local bookstore and bought a copy for my personal library so I could revisit it when I was feeling down and in need of inspiration! This book contains more than 300 signs from the Women's Marches that took place around the world on January 21st, 2017 to champion equality and justice for ALL. This is a powerful book. One that really paints a picture of this time in our history and what so many of us are feeling at ...more
Sheila
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On January 21, 2017 over 5 million women, men and children across the globe came together and marched, in protest of the newly elected administration, for women's rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights, minority rights, for a variety of causes with all marchers supporting each other.

Anyone that participated in one of these marches around the globe will love this book, with its collection of photos from many of the marches: photos of the people, the signs, the comaradarie, the passion. For
Kelly
More than a memento of a huge cultural and historical moment, this collection of images from the world wide Women's Marches is empowering, encouraging, and ultimately a call to keep on fighting. Great image quality, and I love that the book managed to avoid showcasing some of the signs that were more transphobic than empowering (i.e., equating womanhood with specific genitalia, a thing I saw in Chicago and in photos of other marches that bothered me tremendously). The quotes sprinkled throughout ...more
Marion
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whether the person who reads this marched, watched from home, or followed along via social media, it's a beautiful and moving reminder of why over five million people marched that day. Whether the reader agrees with the movement or not, it's important to see why people took to the streets and understand what exactly they feel is at stake with the new presidency. It forces us to take a moment to understand how our neighbors are affected and why they are afraid of the next four years.

It's also a
Aisling
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful addition to any collection. The photographs and quotes are really well interspersed, I loved the colour scheme and typography and the photos themselves jump off the pages with wit, life and so much heart. This collection made me very smiley and I'm proud to be part of such a global community of kickass people.
Denise
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
If you supported the women's march in any capacity, this is a wonderful tribute to the women who marched around the world. I saw a lot of the news coverage from within the U.S., but I enjoyed seeing the pictures from Australia, France, Iraq and other countries. I liked reading the quotes from various marches--and if I could add anything to this book, it would be a few more stories and quotes from marches around the world. Some of the women featured here risked their lives to have a voice in the ...more
Melissa
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I needed a reminder, re-invigoration today...and I found this little book of photos on Hoopla, so within an hour, I felt better. I think we all need that reminder from time to time that we are not alone, especially women, introverts, blue dots in dark red seas, and others who often feel a bit secluded in this crazy time. We are not alone, and we are all still #StrongerTogether
Kari
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great idea, I love it to pieces! There were so many creative, funny, real, sarcastic, poignant signs created for that day, and with this book hopefully we won't forget about the pertinent messages that they shared. Even better, hopefully with so many people speaking out, we will change things. This collection made me both happy and mad (obviously, how could you not be angry when these things need to be protested these days) to look through, but mostly made me reflect on ...more
Madeline
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-books
On the day of the marches, I was struggling so hard with depression that I hadn't left my dorm room in days.

I couldn't bring myself to take the train to DC, or the bus to downtown. But hearing about the marches inspired me to walk down the hall into the community room, even just for a while, to talk to people about what was happening and what we were planning on doing about it.

I will always regret not being able to march that day, but I will never be less than eternally grateful for how loved
Angie
This is a great little collection of photographs from around the world, taken from the 2017 Women's March. It's easy to get bogged down in the clusterf*ck of ongoing events right now. This book serves as a nice reminder of the power of protest, the people, and the numbers fighting for what's right. If you marched anywhere, or marched in spirit, I think this book would make a great keepsake.
Megan Bowers
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
2017 Reading Challenge: A book with a month or day of the week in the title.

ARC received through NetGalley.

While I wasn't able to march (14 hour workday), I was following along throughout the day on Twitter and I love that they made this into a book. Although I'm a little bummed that my favorite sign/picture (which is currently the background on my phone) wasn't included, I will say there were a lot I hadn't seen before.

I will most certainly be buying this as soon as it's available, I just
Vanessa Pillay
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this as a present from my partner in feminism, Kari! So exciting! We marched together in Edmonton - ok, we shuffled, it was cold here.
This collection of pictures and quotes is so awesome! It really captures the spirit of the day all over the world! I think it's going to be a go-to for inspiration when I need it. (My favourite sign is 'if I make my uterus a corporation, will y'all stop regulating it?') (which, incidentally, was the first page I flipped open to.)
Now that I've
D.J. Adamson
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
7 Continents
82 Countries
5 Million People
Whether you were there, or you are looking back wondering what kept you from going, these two publications are reminders of the reasons why so many gathered to protest and voice concerns regarding issues such as immigration, civil rights, racial justice and many other, not just concerns of the 2016 Presidential race, but concerns for humanity.
Ryan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Go buy this book right NOW. All proceeds go to #PlannedParenthood

This book is a collection of quotes and pictures from the world wide women's marchs held in January 2017. The book is mainly focused on signs and there were just so many awesome pictures that were funny, moving, nasty :), and real. This is one of those books where years from now you will pull it off your shelf and tell your grandkids that these people world wide stood up to say we needed change.
Julie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Back in January, I participated in the Seattle Women's March. This book of photographs from many of the marches around the world really helped me revisit the sights and atmosphere of that amazing day.
Kelly K
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017
LOVE LOVE LOVE
It was amazing to see so many posters from the Women's March in this book. It really gave me an idea of what it was like being there. Another awesome thing about this book was that all of the royalties will be donated to Planned Parenthood. <3
Liilaa
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book with pictures! Yaaaaaay!
Jeimy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Signs from the Women's Marches held all over the world. It was great reading this book now because it reminds me that there are still plenty of good people fighting the good fight.
Shawn Birss
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book... and I feel weird for it.

I am 100% for organizing against Trump. I'm glad there was a march, this march, in January of 2017. Trump needs to be taken down.

And I'm glad that sales from this book benefitted Planned Parenthood.

But there were things about this book that shoved some things right in my face that make me uncomfortable about some things in the state of "resistance" in America right now, or against Trump around the world.

I'm sure that this book
Danielle
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though similar to Signs of Hope: Messages from Subway Therapy, this is more directly focused on responsive action following the election. It is pretty intersectional and definitely inspiring if you're planning on going to your own march. It isn't anything new, but it's a nice reminder of what we can do.
Ghazaal B.
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full of PERFECT ways to march. Made me smile a lot while reading this. Also made me wonder, why am I not as creative as required when it comes to standing up for myself or for a cause. I guess this book opens a lot of doors (and warms your hopeless heart).
Skunk
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this coffee table book. My friend got it for me for Xmas because we do the March together. It is inspiring to see the photos from the 2017 March and it is amazing to see the new and women standing up for human rights all over the world.
Suzanne
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, netgalley
The Women's March of January 21, 2017 has been called "a groundswell of resistance, love, and hope." Across the United States and around the world, people marched, carried signs, sang songs, decorated their faces and t-shirts, and listened to speakers about topics important to them. This book captures all those activities as well as a sense of the emotions felt and portrayed that day. Images from Prague to Paradise Bay, Orlando to Fairbanks, Toronto to Kosovo, and everywhere in between show ...more
Ellen Klock
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
On January 21, 2017, 5 million plus people in 673 cities showed solidarity in the fight to protect women's rights. This occurred right after Trump's inauguration to put the new United States President on notice that women are alive, well, and ready to take a stand.

Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope, published by Artisan Press, is an attempt to capture the essence of The Woman's March, a world wide demonstration, with 300 photographs featuring noteworthy signs. This commemoration is a must
Sue Jackson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I was able to look at this book as it brought back memories from my march in Lansing, MI. As one poster said "I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change, I am changing the things I cannot accept" which best explains why many traditional non-protesters were there.
This is not a book that is full of great writing or long paragraphs, still it shows the power of that one day through the posters that were carried by people of all ages. There was a sense of energy that traveled
Waridi
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of photographs taken around the world on 21st January, 2017 when millions of people came together for the Women's March. It was one of the largest political demonstrations to have ever happened in history. This is a documentation of people coming together for one cause regardless of age, gender or race putting aside all of their differences to fight together against a common problem. I absolutely love that they decided to collect the pictures and put them all in one book. ...more
Karen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Why We March is a beautiful and empowering book of photographs from the international Women's March which brought three million women, girls, men and boys together across the country. What a treat to see all of the love and joy and resistance to the Trump administration. What a memento from that day and one to show future generations. For me, it is a reminder that we as a people can create change as long as we stay focused on our goal, treat each other kindly as we go about the work in our ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Why I March: Images from the Woman's March Around the World
  • Together We Rise: Behind the Scenes at the Protest Heard Around the World
  • Black Out
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Love's Violet Sunrise (American State Flower)
  • Jackpot
  • Thief in the Interior
  • Sultana's Dream
  • Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls
  • You Must Not Miss
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • On Distant Shores (Wings of the Nightingale, #2)