Start by marking “Alice in Brexitland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Brexitland

Alice in Brexitland

Lying on a riverbank on a lazy summer’s afternoon – 23rd June 2016, to be precise – Alice spots a flustered-looking white rabbit called Dave calling for a referendum. Following him down a rabbit-hole, she emerges into a strange new land, where up is down, black is white, experts are fools and fools are experts...

She meets such characters as the Corbynpillar, who sits on a
Published June 1st 2017 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Brexitland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Brexitland

Start your review of Alice in Brexitland
Louise Wilson
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an amusing take on the original story of Alice in Wonderland mixed with Brexit.

On the 23rd June, 2016 Alice spots a rabbit called Dave Camerabbit who is calling for a Referendum. She follows him down the rabbit hole and emerges in a strange new land.

I loved the characters in this story. There is Corbynpillar who sits on a toadstool all day smoking his hookah. Humpty Trumpty perched on a wall he wants the Mexicans to pay for. The Cheshire Twat and the Queen of Heartlessness are a few more
Rebecca Carter
Alice in Brexitland is a brilliantly funny, political satirical twist on the classic children's book Alice in Wonderland. Instead of tumbling down the rabbit hole Alice is in Brexitland and the characters she comes across such as - David Camerabbit, Corbyn-Pillar, The Cheshire Twat, Trumpty Dumpty, Tweedleboz and Tweedlegove and the Queen of Heartlessness - are well known political figures.

It's only a short read, so great for a pick me up if you need a laugh, however it will date terribly due t
Deborah

While I've never particularly liked the original Alice in Wonderland I do love political comedy and so I had my fingers firmly crossed when I put in my request for this.

This is an amusing read and while it was entertaining I have to admit it wasn't as funny as I'd expected and hoped.

The story follows young Alice on 23rd June 2016 referendum day as she follows David Camerabbit down the rabbit hole.
Once there she reads the Daily Murdoch with its tales of doom and gloom and becomes so angry that s
Fiona
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not great literature but it is really great fun! The cartoons are excellent as are the poems/ditties. As much a tribute to Carroll as a satire on Brexit.

Alice follows 'Call me Dave' Camerabbit down the hole where she quickly realises that he doesn't know what he's talking about - 'really he was just posh!' She finds two newspapers, the Daily Murdoch with its 'Up yours, Delors!' message and the Gordian which she finds 'very reassuring (although its tone was a little smug)'. Next she stumb
Jules
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love Alice in Wonderland and I enjoy politics. I’m one of those rare people who manages to remain quite calm while discussing politics, so despite not being a fan of comedy I had to give this a go. One might say I was “curiouser and curiouser”. I’m sure I’ve heard that somewhere before.

This story is a quick and funny read, which had me laughing out loud in numerous places. I have to say, I loved the name Trumpty Dumpty. The illustrations were also an entertaining touch.

Alice in Brexitland is w
Alice in Brexitland is a hilarious parody that tells the events surrounding the referendum in the form of Alice in Wonderland. Poor young Alice makes the horrible mistake of following David Camerabbit down the rabbit hole and quickly finds herself in a world that doesn't make sense anymore. The tale follows Alice's journey through Brexitland as she is introduced to characters like the Corbyn-pillar, the Cheshire Twat and Trumpty Dumpty. The characters are all instantly recognisable as both the f ...more
Roman Clodia
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't subtle in any way but is very funny (depending on your politics...) as Alice follows David Camerabbit ('call me Dave') down the rabbit-hole into the mad, mad world of Brexitland. Young follows Lewis Carroll closely and makes his Alice a sane and rational voice in a crazy world peopled by Trumpty Dumpty sitting on his golden wall, Tweedleboz and Tweedlegove the overgrown schoolboys, the Cheshire Twat with his wide smile, pint in his paw, and propensity to disappear conveniently - and t ...more
Kay
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for approving my request for a free digital copy in exchange for a review.

This is perfectly satirical. I cracked up over and over again. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, would love to have prints for a few. Would definitely recommend.
Fieke
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Am I in a sane world dreaming of madness, or a mad world dreaming of sanity?”

It is not hard to picture politics these days being as strange as wonderland, especially for the Seven years old Alice.

This is a book filled with humor. It has a lot of Alice in Wonderland, especially the writing style was great.

So anyone aware of the Brexit, politics in general and Trump Will probably be laughing through this book.

The only thing I didn’t like was that it had only little over 100 pages.
Michael Mills
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics, humour
Probably better than the market space gives it any reason to be. Like the 'grown-up' versions of Enid Blyton and Ladybird Books that have been filling the high-street bookshops (and latterly the charity bookshops) for the last year or two, this is a comedy-headline gift choice: whoever the publisher expects to read it, it isn't the person handing over their money. The business model is plain in the fact the publisher can give away a free audiobook version as a podcast.

description

That said, Alice in Brexitl
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

I will be honest, satires aren’t my thing normally, but I was persuaded by the political slant on this and the fact that like a fair few people I’m living in a state of despair at the state of the country right now! Sometimes having a good laugh at the thing that’s causing you the most stress is just what you need the most!

Alice in Brexitland is a lighthearted romp through wonderland but not as we know it, Alice now falls down the rabbit hole
Manon the Malicious
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lucien Young rewrites the classic story by Lewis Carroll using political figures to replace the animals and characters of the original story. The story contains 10 chapters, all a mix of actual Alice’s adventures in Wonderland chapters and current british and US politics. There was at least one illustration per chapter.

This was really funny at times, but since I’m not all that on point on British politics I was kinda lost some
Anna Morgenstern
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is ingenious, it made me laugh so hard albeit be reminded of our terrible reality.
As a lover of Alice in Wonderland and the English sense of humour this has been a delight.
Frederike
Great factual parody
Elite Group
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A hilariously on-point parody of the political events of recent times

A young girl named Alice makes the mistake of following a flustered ‘David Camerabbit’ down a rabbit hole into the strange world of Brexitland, where up is down and fools are experts. Here she meets a host of colourful characters, such as the Corbynpillar, Tweedlegove and Tweedleboz and Trumpty Dumpty. Confused by the madness of these characters, Alice becomes increasingly frustrated as she finds herself unable to get a clear e
Rosemary Standeven
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a splendid book written in the style of Lewis Carroll, depicting the national disaster that is Brexit, with wit and insight, that unfortunately was lacking before the fateful vote of 23rd June 2016. As you may have guessed, I voted to remain, and campaigned diligently for staying in the EU. I am pretty certain that the author of this book voted Remain too – so it is rather preaching to the converted. If you are pleased with the referendum outcome, this book is probably not for you.
The c
Margaret
A quick, entertaining and an easy read. A parody of Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland'. It's evident that the author was a remain supporter in the Brexit campaign, although the book contains a mix of British and American politics with an 'eggcellent' Trumpty Dumpty sitting on his golden wall that Mexico is 'gonna pay for', 'believe me.'

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.
Dane Cobain
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is basically a Brexit/Trump themed parody of Alice in Wonderland, right down to Lewis Carroll’s famous nonsense poetry. It’s interesting because it managed to take something pretty depressing and to make it all a lot of fun, and seeing Nigel Farage as a Cheshire cat was particularly amusing.

Because it takes on Trump as well, there’s also plenty here for American readers too. It’s satirical and still relevant, though only just. If you want to read it, read it now.
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny and cheeky. Obviously more of a novelty type of thing, cute to have on the bookshelf or to give as a gift and so on, but the story is clever and pictures are amusing and the writing is quite decent. Probably wouldn't buy it for myself but it made for a nice goofy gift.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An amusing take on the original Alice in Wonderland story.
Liz
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
god, we're such a joke. can i get out of the rabbit hole yet?
Marco (Barely a blogger)
Not entirely my cup of tea. It's well written and explains the whole Brexit-thing in layman's terms so even I can have a better understanding of what it all entails.
Marjolein
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-bought
A few years ago I might have read this book and thought it was kind of overdone and ridiculous. Now, after years of Brexit negociations, I have to admit I would have been wrong. The whole Brexit process and it's main characters are wonderfully transferred into the world of Alice in Wonderland, making it maybe an even crazier world than the original already is. The sad thing is, it's all true... A real must read for everyone who is interested in politics, but does need a break from time to time ; ...more
Sophie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fantastic! So funny and clever. Definitely recommend (it does come somewhat from a remain/Pro-EU point of view though). Lots of songs and references to Alice in Wonderland and lots of issues covered. Characters include the main politicians you would expect - including Trump, although the Lib Dems and SNP don't get a look in. Things have changed since book has written but mostly it's as relevant and as funny as ever.
Alice Kuzmenko
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A highly entertaining read!
Brilliant illustrations, and plenty of quips. No politician was safe!
The only downfall was its brevity - although I am sure some may say that any longer and it would have laboured its jokes.
Wies
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very funny satire on the current political landscape. It's nice and short and the use of the classic Alice in Wonderland for this was a smart move. Whereas Alice wakes up from the mad world that is Brexitland, we can laugh but also cry at reality, the truth behind her dream.
Vanessa-Ann Dowsett
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended and very amusing. Very cleverly written
Juli Rahel
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brexit is one of the most defining political events in, at least, European history since the creation of the European Union. Whereas the latter ushered in a time of ever closer bonds and peace, the former has set off a period of unrest, disenchantment and anger. All throughout the Western world discontent is spreading and the popular vote seems to swing to the right side of the spectrum, although there seems to be a recent return to sanity. Swiftly followed by the election of Donald Tr*mp in Ame ...more
Sofie Amalie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so comical and behind the humour - informative. Be aware this is for left winged people. Right wingers. You won´t like this one. But it turns out, Alice in Wonderland fits in perfectly in modern times with Brexit.
Sam
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union was the kind of day you won’t forget that easily. I remember having a really bad feeling the night before the vote. I woke up at 5 am and clicked my way through my BBC App when I saw the Breaking News. England voted for Brexit, by 53.4% to 46.6%. Instead of bursting into tears I got a two day migraine.

Alice in Brexitland written by Lucien Young is a political
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Five on Brexit Island (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)
  • The Cut
  • My Country; a work in progress: in the words of people across the UK
  • Set in Stone
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • The Big Book of Pain: Torture  Punishment Through History
  • The Fall of the Red Wall: 'The Labour Party no longer represents people like us'
  • Zwarte schuur
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • The Woman in Black
  • De meeste mensen deugen
  • Translations
  • Lampje
  • Magnus
  • Man at the Helm
  • Diary of Dorkius Maximus (Dorkius Maximus, #1)
  • De goede zoon