Start by marking “The Assassin's Curse (The Blackthorn Key, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Curse (The Blackthorn Key, #3)

The Assassin's Curse

(The Blackthorn Key #3)

Christopher Rowe is back and there are more puzzles, riddles, and secrets to uncover in this third novel of the award-winning Blackthorn Key series.

Wherever Christopher Rowe goes, adventure—and murder—follows. Even a chance to meet King Charles ends in a brush with an assassin.

All that’s recovered from the killer is a coded message with an ominous sign-off: more attempts a
Published September 5th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin's Curse, please sign up.
Klára
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Steffi
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neu-2018, read-2018
Ich bin von dieser Reihe absolut begeistert und warte nun inzwischen immer wieder sehnsüchtig auf einen neuen Teil. Natürlich in der Hoffnung, dass diese mit meinen Erwartungen mithalten können und zum Glück werde ich nicht enttäuscht.

Im dritten Teil verschlägt es Christopher und Tom nach Frankreich, um dort die königliche Familien vor einem Attentat zu bewahren. Doch bald müssen sie wieder jede Menge Rätsel lösen und es taucht eine Verbindung zu den Tempelrittern auf.

Das Buch ist wieder unglaub
Amber
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preteens and up
Another amazing addition the the Blackthorn Key series. This time after saving the King of england from poisoning. Christopher, Tom, and Sally are sent to Paris under fake names and titles to stop the assassins and protect the royals. Clues, codes, danger, and humor. The perfect combination.

I found this to be another great read. Where as I did start to predict some of the answers before hand. I think that is simply because I am starting to understand the way the author thinks, but I would not ca
Janka
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ach, som smutna. Docitala som teraz uz definitivne moju milovanu sériu. Ako dlho budem musiet cakat na dalsi diel? Cakanie sa mi rovná prechadzke po Sahare. Hlavne po tom konci!
Zboznujem a vsetkym odporucam tuto seriu! Mam rada knihy Dana Browna a keby mam tuto seriu oznacit za naplast na chvile cakania na jeho dalsiu knihu, velmi by som ju degradovala!
Autor zostava v období krasneho 16. storocia a tento krat Christopher lusti sifry v Parizi! Hltala a vychutnala som si kazde slovo! Kaslite na
Skip
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
After an attempt on the life of King Charles is thwarted by Christopher Rowe, the King sends Christopher, Tom, and Sally to Paris and the court of the Sun King, Louis XIV to protect King Charles beloved sister, Minette. Besides court intrigue and politics, Christopher meets an aging ally of his deceased master, Benedict Blackthorne, who provides key assistance in a centuries-old quest for the treasure of the Knights Templar. The three friends continue to delight, especially in their various role ...more
raquel baggins
3’5 ★★★
«Ego autem non exspecto aeternitatem. Sempiternus sum – I do not await eternity. I am eternity.»

{English}
I’ve come across The Blackthorn Key series last year and I’ve enjoyed reading it quite a lot. Even though it’s a middle-grade series it has most of the things I like in a book: historical fiction –set in 17th century London (and in this third instalment Paris)–, a little bit of magic and fantasy, puzzles and riddles –it’s like Da Vinci Code but well written–, great and lovely charact
Miki
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
How do I say this.... I LOVED THIS BOOK!! Alright the ending almost killed me, and it hurt physically to see what happened to some of my baby characters. I feel like they matured a lot in this book, and for some reason, despite the more pages, this one seemed to go faster. There were a few parts where they didn't feel like the characters I knew anymore, but those passed really quickly.

I sense a little romance (okay a lot) between Sally and Chris. I don't mind. I have said it before and will say
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: I liked this book. Another good Blackthorn mystery!

I'm getting a much better sense of who the characters are. Thomas is bigger than I kept imagining. He's big enough to act as a guard or to swordfight or to pick Christopher up from a fall out a window (um, hypothetically). Christopher is the devious thinker who really gets into more trouble than anyone should.

In this book, the two friends (plus Sally!) save the king and cause havoc in Paris (including stealing a painting from th
Sriya Mudumba
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I. Need. The. Next. Book.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was another good read in the series. Normally I don't like historical fiction books but I've been enjoying this series. I love the puzzle solving aspects of the series. It just makes them so much more interesting.
Aaron
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About two years ago, I tried a new series called The Blackthorn Key and it has become one of my favourite MG series. I shared it with students and they also loved it, it was voted the Book of the Year in my district. The second book was also excellent and the third does not disappoint.

The Assassin's Curse has all of the elements that has made this series successful. Great characters, mysteries and codes that have you thinking along with the characters and terrific action scenes. The mix of hist
Rpaul Tho
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know this series is meant for 10-14 year olds but I simply love it. The story and writing are intriguing and keep me interested. Funny enough, these books are written much better than a few adult books I've read recently (The Magicians Trilogy!!). So I look forward to more in the series and hope they continue to be as captivating.
Erin
Sep 26, 2018 added it
I like the new setting in this book. Now, Christopher and his friends aren't quite as comfortable where they are, and they have to explore and get comfortable with a new setting and a completely new job. Again, I like how Tom knows Christopher so well that Christopher doesn't need to even say anything before Tom knows it's a bad idea. I don't really remember whether that was there in the first book or not, but I feel like it's getting more prominent, like Tom and Christopher are becoming even cl ...more
Sally
I don’t know why this series doesn’t have more reviews, it’s SO good! Each book is very well written and researched. I’ve really enjoyed learning more about the 1600s and standard apothecary practices. It’s also refreshing to read a historical fiction book that’s set outside of the late 1800s, which is when most of the ones I own are set. I would recommend this series to fans of Rick Riordan or Jonathan Stroud - obviously, the subject matter is different, but the writing is of the same caliber.
Ilsesi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik had de andere delen al eerder gelezen en toen ik zag dat er een nieuw boek was en ik wilde het zo snel mogenlijk lezen, ondanks dat mijn verwachtingen erg hoog was het toch zeker een aanrader als je van mysterieuze verhalen houd. Het was zeker een erg spannend boek. Alleen eindigd het in een soort cliffhanger wat ik wel jammer vind. Tenzij dat betekent dat er nog een deel komt. Die wil ik dan zeker ook lezen.
Brett Turner
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the plot of finding out who might want to assassinate the royal family. It morphed into a treasure hunt. Though their became to open at times about who they were which threatened their very identitites and life. It did set up an overarching villain whom seems to be very cruel and calculating. I tend to think he might be the apprentice Blackthorn never mentions.
Sara
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In between reading the books of this series, I forget how much I like it. Then I’ll pick up the next one and get immersed in seconds and I think-oh, yeah-I remember now-I love these books. Although I have to admit there was a twist at the end of this one that I really could have done without. I understand why it was put in-a bit of foreshadowing future adventures but it just stresses me out. I like these characters and I don’t want anything to happen to them so stop trying to kill them off!!
Meredith
This is really a 3.5 rating.

As always the mystery was exciting and the banter between friends was funny. I just felt that the story kind of dragged. It wasn't until the last 100 pages that if turned into the page turner that the first two books in the series were so great for.

The end of the book has set up my excitement for the next instalment.
Neil
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
- third novel in the series
- takes place in the mid 1600s in Paris
- a fun, action-packed mystery involving codes and ciphers
- like a children's version of the DaVinci Code
- reading level: gr. 6
- interest level: gr. 5-8
Yasmeena
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody!
Would you run from the truth? Is that what I taught you to do?

HOLY COW

JESUS

WOW

I AM SHOOKETH

RTC
Susan
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, juvenile, fantasy
Again, a wonderful story. This time around we visit France, learn a bit about the Templars and their treasure and are introduced to French and English royalty.

While I enjoy this author's stories I know now to expect an assortment of beating of Christopher and also to lose an older person to either old age, murder or whatever so try to keep my distance from any of those introduced as one was here. Guess what happened to him??
Renmarie56
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Action-packed with plenty of the twists and turns we expect of this series. There’s also the promise of something sinister in the future. :)
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
Another great addition to the Blackthorn Key series. If you love mystery, adventure, and learning historical facts along the way, then definitely check out this series. Full review coming soon.
Michelle
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really, really, really good! I still don't really like Sally. Sorry.
Megan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great mid-grade/YA novel series and one of my son's favourites. It has an excellent combination of adventure, mystery and great historical information. Somehow the age of the protagonist doesn't slow him down. This story will appeal to multiple audience and is a great read.
Christine H
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love that so far, for the last three years, I’ve had a literary adventure to look forward to in September. It almost makes going back to our regularly scheduled school program bearable. Almost. I’m just glad there’s another Blackthorn Key book.

1. The original Blackthorn Key series was absolutely fantastic. I got a copy of it during the summer of 2015, and I made it the book for our novel-study unit a few weeks later. I couldn’t put it down, and I’m glad that Kevin Sands has kept up the series.
Michelle
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Yet another amazing addition to series!!! I couldn't put this book down and now that I am done I am counting the days until the next book will come out!
Rachel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, smart series. Intrigued to see where we go next.
Ellie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
I love the puzzles and twists in this series, but the lack of fully developed female characters is really getting to me.
Dani
3.5 stars rounded down.

My least favourite in the series so far. I believe that was largely due to the subject matter/plot - it simply failed to draw me in as much as the previous two instalments did. It was still a good read though and although I'd say this instalment had slightly less humorous dialogue between Tom & Christopher, I'm pleased to see the series stays consistent in its strengths.
EY
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
  • Laura Monster Crusher
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)
  • The Way Back Home
  • Testament
  • Summer Days, Starry Nights
  • The Detective's Assistant
  • The Strange Gift of Gwendolyn Golden: The Night Flyer's Handbook
  • Fragile Bones: Harrison & Anna
  • Sadia
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 18: Travels with Jotaro (Usagi Yojimbo, #18)
  • Look Out for the Fitzgerald-Trouts
  • Have Sword, Will Travel
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock (The Sinclair's mysteries #4)
  • Young Man with Camera
  • The Alien That Ate My Socks (Hoolie and the Hooligans, #1)
  • Hiawatha and the Peacemaker
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
Since escaping from university with a pair of degrees in theoretical physics, Kevin Sands has worked as a researcher, a business consultant, and a teacher. He is the author of the bestselling The Blackthorn Key series. His third book, The Assassin's Curse, comes out September 2017.

The Blackthorn Key (4 books)
  • The Blackthorn Key (The Blackthorn Key, #1)
  • Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • Call of the Wraith (The Blackthorn Key, #4)
“But I don't want to go to Paris. It's full of foreigners."

"Actually, in Paris, we'll be the foreigners."

"Englishmen can't be foreigners, Christopher.”
1 likes