Start by marking “The Weaver of Odds (Vivian Amberville, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Weaver of Odds (Vivian Amberville, #1)

The Weaver of Odds

(Vivian Amberville #1)

"As the Weaver, so is the Thread"

Vivian Amberville® is a bestselling philosophical fantasy book series about a girl whose imagination can reshape reality.

THE BOOK

First in the Vivian Amberville fantasy series, "The Weaver of Odds" introduces 13-year old Vivian to her unique if hazardous power of altering odds, outcomes and the very substance of reality.

The main protag
Paperback, First Edition, 296 pages
Published March 23rd 2017 by Creascriptum

To ask other readers questions about The Weaver of Odds, please sign up.
John It was a good idea to make a separate reviewing page for the English reviews. The bulk of the reviews were written in Dutch with only a few hundred in…moreIt was a good idea to make a separate reviewing page for the English reviews. The bulk of the reviews were written in Dutch with only a few hundred in English, which makes it seem like a relatively-unknown title. New readers might be deterred by this. Perhaps someone from your PR team could collect more english reviews.(less)

Start your review of The Weaver of Odds (Vivian Amberville, #1)
Angel Strong
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If your a lover of fantasy,sci-fis, and overall genuine good reads than this story is definitely for you. Weaver of Odds meets all expectations. The story line itself was very unique,and the characters/creatures were well developed and endearing. Not to mention, the story is very well written. I can honestly say that there was never a boring moment in this read. No spoilers here, but I must say that for me this story was right up there with Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. Simply amazing. Th ...more
Marc Whitehouse
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've intended to write a review for this book since finishing it a few weeks back, but it's such a unique and enthralling read, it's daunting attempting to sum it up in a few short words.

I didn't quite know what to expect to begin with, especially having relatively little experience in the fantasy genre, but by the end of the first part of the book, I was hooked.

It's the kind of story that pulls you in with both hands and doesn't let go until you realise it's been three hours since you last blin
J.R. Sweeney
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incomparable book that lives up to the hype. This book takes the reader on a wild ride, climbs and keeps climbing all the way to it's pinnacle,then settles down to a terrific satisfying ending. It leaves the reader sitting pleasantly smiling with plenty of fine thoughts to ponder in the days ahead. I cannot reveal too much about all the wonderful surprises that are weaved throughout the story. You will just have to get the book and find out yourself.I may get more books from this fine writer ...more
Selective Selective
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoyed or loved any of these following fantasy movies, then you'll love this book.

Bridge To Terabithia (2007)
Flash Gordon (1980)
Harry Potter (2001-2011)
Inception (2010)
Labyrinth (1986)
Midnight Special (2016)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
The Adventures Of Sharkboy And Lavagirl (2005)
The NeverEnding Story (1984)
Tomorrowland (2015)
Tron Legacy (2010)
Xanadu (1980)

Similar to these movies, the story of Vivian Amberville will take the reader on a journey through worlds within worlds and into the mind, b
John
I sort of stumbled into this novel by googling around "YA dystopian coming of age fantasy books" and this rare gem fell into my hands. I asked around at my university, and I couldn't believe how many people heard of Vivian Amberville. I was surprised it has so few reviews on goodreads compared to how many people read it and said it was amazing. My own take is that: This book is not only amazing. It's a masterpiece!

-small spoiler ahead:
It's the story of a mysterious, orphaned teenager who learns
Silvia
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vivian Amberville is a form of meta-fiction that captures the various facets of imagination in a unique manner. It speaks about the responsibilities that come with engaging our imagination in becoming free-willed and then manifestation. In this novel, the mind (as an imagining) realm has also an inner will which is solely molded by the spirit of each Weaver. By doing this we can say that it has an ethical dimension that questions our mode of being in the world through our actions (for a higher p ...more
Mirko
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a friend. At first I was a bit sceptical about the concept of "manipulating events", but after reading a bit from my friend's copy, I bought my own: it's a great story! Right now this author seems a bit no-name, but I can't believe that there's no more reviews here. It's a book that grabs the reader and pulls the reader into the story, I literally cried over some of the scenes, really wonderful book. Looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm keeping a ...more
NAN Labadens
The storyline itself was exceptionally remarkable, and the characters/animals were very much created and charming. There was never an exhausting minute in this read.
Sabin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
In dire need of editing. The book felt like a rough draft at certain points.

But, if you can stomach the first few dozen pages, where word choice could have been improved, for the sake of continuity and immersion, there’s a really cute story behind it all. Think of wizards and magic, but with time and destiny instead. And a little girl with the power to tear everything down or build it anew, with greater splendor than ever before.

The main character is the most believable and the despair and anxie
Bob Goddard
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Milton Keynes, a flooded, swampy, disease-ridden dystopia where a little girl has been snatched from the streets and incarcerated in a hellish children’s home. She doesn’t know it yet, but she holds the fate of the known world – and an amazing unknown world beyond – in the palm of her hand.
Louise Blackwick’s extraordinary novel will transport you on wings of shadowhide, through holes in the fabric of reality, into realms both wonderfully plausible and uniquely strange. You will fall i
Tim Heesink
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've been impressed with a new author and a new release.A very original idea to combine epic fiction with philosophy. I honestly cannot compare this work with anything else. It outruns Matrix by a mile! It is a colourful double universe, science fiction and fantasy all in one with a cast of characters you will fall in love with (or despise) right away.

The author even created fictional languages to make the world more believable and boy, it really shows! The Artisan and Kaa
Teresa McRae
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After passing this book up a few times because I thought it was for YA, I contacted the author on FB to find out if it would appeal to someone my age ( 60 ). A number of readers familiar with the book, informed me that I would indeed enjoy reading Vivian Amberville. I was very glad because the premise intrigued me from the start.
This is a wonderful book. The characters are well-written. Their three-dimensionality is consistently evident to the least of them. There is mystery, fantasy, sci-fi and
Irfan Zayd
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing fiction that takes you by the hand through the dark, yet colorful world of Vivian. An easy read and the characters pop out from the pages. I quite enjoyed reading it and cannot wait for the next books in the series!!!!
Kassy Quien
I picked up The Weaver of Odds The Weaver of Odds by author Louise Blackwick and despite having the physical book on my shelf for over a year, I was too busy to give it a try. When I did pick it up, I read this 250-pager story in under 2 days. It made me pick up her other novellas and short stories, some of which were free, and I devoured everything in under a week. The Vivian Amberville series in particular is something so epic, well-developed and unique, it comes across as a trendsetter and ge ...more
Lucy van der Wald
Vivian Amberville is what Harry Potter was to the 1990: a trendsetter. It's something completely unique altogether, being an epic philosophical fantasy with science fiction traces. You get this little girl whose imagination can reshape reality and everything that happens to her just sucks you right in.

Picked Vivian Amberville, the weaver of odds at the library in my town. It had the trippiest cover and I admit its blurb intrigued me, but nothing prepared me for the awesomeness I experienced whil
David Caceres
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great surprise reading Viviam Amberville. It is not about imagination but true reality that conquered my heart from this amazingly written book. The true reality I discovered here is that we can alter what we see by believing in justice, freedom and love. This new reality gave us the most powerful tool to shape the future: "WEAVING".
Thank you very much for this treasure reading dear Louise, from the bottom of my heart. Greetings from PERU.
Rommel Co
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A COMPLETE PACKAGE .. MUST READ NOVEL !!!
the magic and fantasy in harry potter; the excitement and thrill in lord of the rings and avatar; and the psycological experience in vanilla sky were fused into this novel !!! perfect 5 stars for this !!! 😊😊😊
Claire
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and I absolutely loved the story. I couldn't put the book down but I highly recommend the book.
ANNA M
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is original. I have never read a story like this one! The characters are well thought out and developed. I highly recommend this book!
Maggie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Wish there was a sequel!
Mira Winerette
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vivian Amberville is a new grand fantasy epic who deserves its place among the great and almost-just-as-famous fantasy classics of its genre.

In 2423 when the end of the world had come by water, a little orphan girl from the ghettos of Keynes, England, discovers her mind can bring about certain outcomes, a unique and dangerous power called "the weaving of odds". Imprisoned in the Ala Spuria Shelter for Strays, Vivian uses her power to weave circumstances to "alter" the outcome of a children adopt
Marijke van Elderen
"Ærinna everly worked passionately at balancing cosmic reality. Her agile fingers stirred to and fro with much ease and visible talent amid billions of wires. They were Threads of intelligent design she wove into the very fabric of reality."

So begins Louise Blackwick's debut novel "The Weaver of Odds", first in the Vivian Amberville series - and the novel that catapulted Blackwick's career as a well-established international author.

Vivian Amberville has since become something of a cult book, pop
Louise Blackwick
Nov 04, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Editorial Review (The Book Reader, March 23, 2017)

Witness the birth of a new fantasy saga, where the thoughts of today become the events of tomorrow. In a world in which reality can be altered and history can be rewritten, a young hero weaves her adventures into a higher calibre of fiction.

Fantasy like never told before: a mythical fiction of friendship and acceptance; of fate and free will; of destiny and despair; of extraordinary ordinary heroes and their reality-changing journeys.

Vivian Amber
Feb 18, 2019
Jamie Sherfy
Dec 07, 2017
Which was your favourite character and why? 3 4 May 21, 2019 05:26AM

• The Ninth Sorceress (The Price of Magic, #1)
  • Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials
  • Наследница драконов. Тайна (Наследница драконов, #1)
  • Crik
  • Магическая Практика (Долина драконов, #1)
  • Aether's Blessing (Aether's Revival Book 1)
  • Королевский Зодиак (Академия Пандемониум, #1)
  • Menacing Misfits (Darkthorn Academy, #1)
  • Runic Apprentice (Rune Mystic, #1)
  • Trapped In My Own Shitty Light Novel After Killing Myself, So I Might As Well Court the Hot Ass Goddess Who Summoned Me!, Vol. 1
  • Fletcher (Crystals of Memory Book 1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Искры огня (Академия Пяти Стихий, #1)
  • Лицо некроманта (Университет Ульгрейм, #1)
  • Друзей не выбирают. Эпизод I. (Хеллиана Валанди, #1)
  • Ведьма огненного ветра (Ведьма огненного ветра, #1)
  • Порри Гаттер и Каменный Философ
  • Рождение мага (Хранитель Мечей, #1)
Louise Blackwick is a Dutch jungian-nietzschean writer, author of many thought-provoking stories themed on "subjective reality" and "states of altered consciousness".

Blackwick is particularly known as the author of the international bestseller, Vivian Amberville, a philosophical fantasy saga centred around an orphan whose imagination can reshape reality.

Blackwick is a long-term pupil of the psycho

Vivian Amberville (2 books)
  • The Book of Chaos (Vivian Amberville, #2)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...
“As the Weaver, so is the Thread” 11 likes
“Our dream of happiness is waiting for another universe to collide with our own, and change what we ourselves cannot.” 8 likes