Start by marking “Fallen Flame (Fallen Flame, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fallen Flame (Fallen Flame, #1)

Fallen Flame (Fallen Flame #1)

Nineteen years ago, on the island kingdom of Garlin, a girl was born. With charred skin as rough as rock, Vala was instantly feared. For how could one be scorched by magic when it had perished ages before?
Recognizing an asset, the royal family welcomed her on their Guard. Her detail: the prince.
To watch. To protect. She has grown with him, lives her life for him.
When the
Published June 19th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Flame

Sophie Elaina
Jun 18, 2017 Sophie Elaina rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2017-releases
This book is action packed and full of shocking moments and beautiful writing. I was very surprised with how much I enjoyed this. The book follows Vala a girl seemingly scorched by magic and feared by many. She has scorched skin as rough as rock that burns anything that lives with just a touch. Recognised as an asset she is taken in by the royal family as part of their guard.

Alexandra
Jun 17, 2017 Alexandra rated it really liked it
I received this ARC through Netgalley for a review covering my honest opinion. Thank you to both Netgalley and J.M. Miller for this opportunity.

OKAY, so just starting off, I just want to say this book was such a beautiful surprise. I am a bit picky when it comes to my fantasy novels and have lots of different elements I look for when reading them, so to say I was impressed with all that Fallen Flame brought to the table would be an understatement.

This story follows a girl named Vala who is the P
Bel
Jun 16, 2017 Bel rated it really liked it
I would like starting this review by saying two things this book had that I loved: First it has a map which is great to see where are you in this world and to picture where are the places they talked about. And the second is the dedicatory his book has is soo sweet: "To those unsettled, the dreamers, the wanderers, keep searching, keep fighting. You will find yourself"

Fallen Flame was an interesting story about a girl that's been treated badly or ignored because of the texture of her skin. For m
Cassie James
description

Fallen Flame is definitely one of the most enjoyable books I've read so far this year. I knew it'd be good but I was still amazed by how engrossing it was.
Vala is a special girl born with charred skin, She was found when she was little by a kind woman who raised her as her daughter. Due to her unique ability (in relation to her skin), She is trained to be a member of the guard specifically among the Prince's detail. Vala grew up together with the prince Caulden and they formed a strong bond. A
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
Jun 21, 2017 Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson rated it really liked it
"That's not possible. All the stories say that no one can travel there."
"And yet, here I am," he replied in almost a bored tone. "Someone who you can't explain because you can't even explain yourself."
It was a truth I couldn't debate.

I absolutely adored this amazing, magical world that Miller created. While it did start out a bit slow for me, I soon became entranced as the pace quickened and this incredible story progressed. So many questions get asked and only a few get answered. But it kep
The Romance Rebels ~ Julia
This would be my first book I have read by the wonderful J.M. Miller, where you are thrust into a world full of mystery, magic, and adventure. The era of kings and queens, young Vala is the kings guard. Her duty is to protect the prince at all costs. She was strong willed and fought for what she believed in. When there is an attempt to end the princes life, everything she thought she knew was a lie....

Fallen Flame was an action packed novel that I couldn't put down! I have no idea what is next
Atlas
Jun 23, 2017 Atlas rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
* * * *
4 / 5

~review to come~

Solid read with refreshing main character, though a little slow in places.
J.M. Miller
Apr 27, 2017 J.M. Miller added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this, 2017
Picture

Available on NetGalley

Deborah
Jun 17, 2017 Deborah rated it liked it
*e-ARC received via Netgalley*
Review originally posted on Hills of Books

3.5 Star Review

I was lucky enough to get a ARC of this book in the last week and as you can read in my Waiting on Wednesday post I did recently I had high hopes for this book. I however have come away from reading it a bit disappointed.

So this story follows Vala as she protects the Prince of Garlin. Yet a series of events at the start of the novel result in her searching for who or what she is. This is coupled with a bit
Shannon
Jun 17, 2017 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Buoni Amici Press, LLC and Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy.

I loved Fallen Flame, fantasy is one of my favorite genres and I loved that this one was fairly unique. I loved that it kept me interested from the first page until the last. The writing was excellent as was the pace of the story. I also like that this is a series and the book itself stands alone, there's
Shrimalya
Jun 20, 2017 Shrimalya rated it really liked it
A great start to a fantastic, new YA fantasy series from J.M.Miller!
I'd read her rom-com - Spied last year and I'd loved it!I hadn't expected that she'd work equally well in the fantasy genre too!
She has created a completely original and fascinating world in this book, and it was amazing to read about!
This book had well-developed and intriguing characters, tons of action,secrets and twists with a dash of romance!

Vala was born with charred skin that made her look as if she was burnt!Her touch can
Roxy Carl
Jun 20, 2017 Roxy Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june
Interesting concept, mediocre execution

This book is about a woman named Vala. Vala was born with skin that is thick and cracked like charred from burns, her touch burns others. She's the head guard of the prince, Caulden, of their small island. She's the only person like her ever seen in recent memory.

The premise was very interesting, and I enjoyed the book Durant the few parts like the very beginning and last 10%. The plot and storyline, at least the important bits could have and shou
Samantha
Jun 10, 2017 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ya, fantasy
This was book one in the Fallen Flame series, and it was a decent start to this new world. It wasn't very original in concept, but Miller does a good job in making it her own. Miller does an excellent job of world building on the little island that the entire book takes place on. However, it was a little confusing when they talked about other places in relation to where they were located. Eventually, I figured it out when it kept getting repeated (and maybe looking at the map in the beginning of ...more
Chelsea Fryou
Jun 17, 2017 Chelsea Fryou rated it really liked it
Original review can be found at my blog Freeing Fantasy. http://freeingfantasy.com/review-fall...

I’d like to start by saying this is my first every ARC review, so thank you to the author and Netgalley.

Now the book! I request to review Fallen Flame because the synopsis seemed very interesting to me but was not something I would normally read. However, I’m glad I did. There were many unexpected twists that really helped to add excitement through out. I wont lie some parts did drag but that was onl
ThatTransylvanianChick
Jun 21, 2017 ThatTransylvanianChick rated it really liked it
I don't read that many fantasy books, but this one's blurb got me curious. Also, look at that pretty cover!

Plus, J.M. Miller's writing style. She's a chameleon author, switching genres with ease.

That being said, let me tell you my thoughts about this book.

Like with any PNR/fantasy book and world, it takes a little for the reader to get into the world described by the author; with the characters and elements. The book starts with the main character, Vala - the entire story is told from her POV
Jennifer - You Can't Resista Dirty Book
Fantastical, Mystical, Magical!!
Book One in the Fallen Flame series, and it is a great start. J. M. Miller has a wonderful imagination to create the wonderful world of Garlin. The setting is very historical with Royalty, Kings, Queens, Princes, and Princess', and of course the King's guard to keep all safe.

On the Eve of the Queen and Princess of Islain's arrival to decide if Prince Caulden is good enough to marry, Vala, the Prince's main guard finds herself coming face to face with an assassin
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jun 19, 2017 Merissa (Archaeolibrarian) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Fallen Flame is the story of Vala, a person the likes of which you've never seen. Her skin is grey and charred; water hurts her; and she can burn people with her touch. Vala knows that she was a foundling, but had as happy an upbringing as she could have. Due to her skin, she was enlisted into the Prince's Guard, and became Lead Guard. However, due to a nights foolishness that didn't have anything to do with her, Vala is lashed and demoted. This starts a whole turn of events that she didn't see ...more
Michaela Whitney
Jun 11, 2017 Michaela Whitney rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won, 2017-read
I received a copy through Netgalley.

We meet a girl, whose forever set apart from those that took her in, but charged with the most sacred of duties. Protecting the Prince of her kingdom of Garlin.
Vala, found as a small child, covered in skin like cooling rock, her identity, the truth about her origins hidden. Thought to be cursed by magic, she is lovingly raised by someone close to the Royal Family. Trained for battle and fighting she is a member of The Guard.
On the night before a High Princess
Lindy Lu Reviews
Jun 19, 2017 Lindy Lu Reviews rated it really liked it
Every book I have read of Mrs. Miller's I have not been disappointed, this didn't shock me as I enjoyed it also. When she tells a story it is different than most books it has a different vibe to it and she is very unique. That being said I have thoroughly enjoyed her book.

Fallen Flame is just that, it is a story of a girl that just appeared out of no where and she was like no other. She looked to have been burnt to a crisp but it was part of her, feared to be cursed and burned by magic she was
beautyguise
Jun 13, 2017 beautyguise rated it it was amazing
I don't know about you, but I really love this cover. I like them even more when they give a really good representation of what the book is about. This book was better than I expected. I only saw 6 reviews on Goodreads and they all weren't actually reviews. And the reviews on the book were pretty poor scoring reviews. Something that I don't understand either.

I loved this unique magical story from beginning to end. The easy pace really made it hard for me to stop, I could have easily finished thi
Megan
Jun 22, 2017 Megan rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so much fun to read and I couldn't wait to find out what Vala's history was. When I did find out a bit of it, it's not what I expected but I still loved getting a glimpse into her life before she became a Guard for the Prince.

This book was a great example of showing that sometimes people are too quick to jump to conclusions especially when someone's outer appearance is different that what is considered the norm. Some o
Petula
Jun 17, 2017 Petula rated it really liked it
Vala is the head of the bodyguards to Prince Cualden She has grown up always at his side, and would gladly give her life for him and her queen. Vala has no idea why she is so different from everyone else, but it does mean that she is feared by most. A simple touch from her can burn.
A royal princess is on her way from a nearby land to see if a marriage could work between Prince Caulden and her. Or is that the real reason for the visit?. The other royal family are from a much larger and more powe
Tiana
Jun 19, 2017 Tiana rated it really liked it
Musings:

This book is a hidden gem. I really really loved it. It hit all my sappy must read points and ran with them and ran with them well, a badass heroine, an intriguing fantasy world, the allure of lost magic, and some swoonworthy characters that definitely know who they are (yes, I’m talking about you shadow).

One thing that had my heart soaring was that despite being ostracized for ages for have charred skin I never felt like Vala (our incredible mc) felt that she was anything less then be
M. Addison
Jun 19, 2017 M. Addison rated it it was amazing
Being a HUGE YA Fantasy fan... I was stoked for this book to come out! JM Miller does not disappoint! There is so much heart, growth, and imagination in this book!

If you love the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas, you will LOVE this book!

In a story that is surprisingly refreshing for the YA Fantasy genre, you meet Vala - a young girl with a super mysterious past, who has grown up alongside the Prince. She is named as his protector. She knows next to nothing about herself, until a stranger
Bryony
Jun 16, 2017 Bryony rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Fallen Flame is about Vala, a girl who when born was touched by magic that shouldn't exist. She's lived her whole life being stared at because of the way the magic left her skin but she doesn't care, as the Prince's guard she has more important things to worry about.

What originally drew me to this story was the premise, I loved the idea of someone being so obviously touched by magic, it was completely different from anyth
Teri
Jun 19, 2017 Teri rated it really liked it
She grew up in service to the Queen. She became the Prince head guard. She was trusted, feared, strong and loyal. Then she wasn't. Was it for her protection or the Prince. Action, betrayal, intrigue and greed make this well rounded tale a great read with characters that are strong and interesting. Great plot which has enough twist to keep you guessing and just enough to get you interested in what seems to be an interesting series. As an intro to the paranormal side of this writer I thoroughly en ...more
Marie Pedrick
Jun 19, 2017 Marie Pedrick rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was riveting from start to finish with some many twists and turns you feel like your right in the story with the characters on the page.
Set in a far off land following the story of Vala as she struggles to find out who she is whilst guarding the prince she loves. This tale will have you glued to the page just to figure it out along with her.
If you like fantasy then this book is definitely one you need to read. I am seriously hoping that the story will continue in another book.
T
Saira Mendoza
Jun 17, 2017 Saira Mendoza rated it really liked it
I don't typically read that many books in this genre, but was so stoke that JM Miller was going to write something different that I just had to get my hands on it. I enjoyed this story and the characters. I can't wait to see where JM Miller takes Vala and X in other stories. The characters and imagery were wonderful. I loved jumping into this world and seeing what was going on. I was left a couple of times in a, why??... state of mind, but I lived and am excited to see what's to come.
Jenni Moen
Jun 20, 2017 Jenni Moen rated it it was amazing
J.M. Miller brings us three new characters to adore. A fierce girl with charred skin who doesn't know where she came from but has a solid belief in her purpose. The Prince she's sworn to protect. And a mysterious stranger who may be the key to unlocking all of the secrets to her past. This is the beginning of an epic story!
Julie Gustafson-Monk
Jun 14, 2017 Julie Gustafson-Monk rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
When I first started reading Fallen Flame I was really intrigued by the storyline thus far. As I kept read this easy paced story, I began to really enjoy the characters. I loved the fact that a female is in charge of guarding the Prince.
Further into the story, I found myself reading fast and faster to gain the answers I needed.
This was a really great book. I loved the excellently written storyline with strong characters. Some characters you will enjoy and others you will not.

Overall this was
J.M. Miller currently consumes her coffee in Florida. When she isn't distracted by social media sites, she writes Young Adult and New Adult romance novels that vary in genre.
Aside from spending time with her family, she loves to travel and will jump at the chance to go anywhere, whenever life allows.
More about J.M. Miller...

Fallen Flame (3 books)
  • Untitled (Fallen Flame, #2)
  • Untitled (Fallen Flame, #3)

“My thoughts, my dreams, they had been nothing in comparison. They were a single drop of water, and this, the whole sea.” 0 likes