Start by marking “A Poisoned Prayer” as Want to Read:
A Poisoned Prayer

A Poisoned Prayer

En garde! Paris, in the 1680s. Dashing swordsmen compete for the favours of licentious women, and magic—God's Blessing—is strong enough that prayers really are answered.

Into the City of Light comes Lise de Trouvaille, a young noblewoman of modest means and no apparent Blessing, searching for an advantageous marriage. But the first eligible man she meets—during a werewolf
ebook
Published May 1st 2017 by Five Rivers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Poisoned Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Poisoned Prayer

Start your review of A Poisoned Prayer
Mary
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good read, but not what I was expecting, which was more a book based on the actual history, with a dash of fantasy. However, as long as people know in advance that there is no Sun King, but an emperor, and that the aristocracy rules through magic, then the book is highly readable. It has more fantasy in it than expected, which is not a bad thing, in view of the 'Moon and the Sun', which I enjoyed, concerning a mermaid and the Sun King. I like fantasy, as well as historical novels, so I like ...more
Teresa Drelick
Fantastic! I didn't want to put this book down. A great historical mystery with a strong woman brandishing a rapier! There is also an element of magic that guides us through the pages. Love!
Astra Astrid
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't quite finished this, yet, but I'm on a roll, and I'm close enough.

I try to write these things without recapping the plot, which is done in the description, anyway, so all that's left is my impressions.

This was a hard read for me, not because it wasn't good, entertaining, or gripping, but because it wasn't light. Sometimes, it's easier for me to read heavier stuff than other times. This was not one of THOSE times.

Skeet has done a magnificent job of evoking late 17th century France.
Cat Girczyc
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the Musketeer romance genre.
Rick
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Right from the start, this was a book that I'm involved with the characters, and enjoy the court's and nobles' intrigues. One roots for the country mouse who shows more steel than expected.
Lorna
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy romance mystery - fun read!
Magic, believed to be God's blessing, is strong enough in this alternate France that the prayers of the strong really are answered. Impoverished noblewoman Lise de Trouville has little magic and less money. While traveling from her family's impoverished estate to Paris in hope of an advantageous marriage, she encounters Raphael, duc de Bellevasse. He is intelligent, sexy, and regrettably too important to become her husband. However, they encounter each other
Sandy
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Skeet writes a wonderfully swashbuckling narrative, featuring Lise de Trouvaille, a strong female protagonist set against the background of Paris (France) in the 17th-Century. The story completely engaged me from the gripping scene in the opening with (view spoiler), through to intrigue, treachery, and high adventure in a corrupt medieval city.

For me, “Poisoned Prayer” provided Robert de Vimoutiers’ backstory and
Aerin
Aug 09, 2017 added it
I do work for this publishing company, so I won't post a review, in order to avoid any potential conflict of interest.
Lorina Stephens
Christina Browne
Nov 28, 2019
Lexy
Jan 07, 2020

• The Wailing Wind (Leaphorn  & Chee, #15)
  • The Light Between Worlds