Start by marking “Born from Fire: Tales from The Longview - Episode 1” as Want to Read:
Born from Fire: Tales from The Longview - Episode 1

Born from Fire: Tales from The Longview - Episode 1

(Tales From the Longview #1)

When love is crime, who will save the guilty?

EPISODE 1: After falling in love and fathering a child, a young criminal refuses to voluntarily throw himself into a lake of fire to gain his community's forgiveness. So he's sentenced to death and sold to the owner of a spaceship that buys criminals like him. But the ship and its crew are not quite what they appear to be.

MEET T
ebook
Published January 20th 2017 by Holly Lisle (first published April 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Born from Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born from Fire

Start your review of Born from Fire: Tales from The Longview - Episode 1
Patrick
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

The background universe is strange and it fascinated me. The mystery behind the purpose of the Longview and its owner got my attention. The characters worked for me. The background is dark but is well written.

The execution process grossed me out and this is a society that definitely needs to be taken down. Characters being encouraged to kill themselves and the mindset of the prisoners that consider suicide is horrible. I want to see more of the forces that must oppose this twisted pact.
Emily Strong
Apr 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The novella has two points of view, "this criminal" and Kagen, a crew member on The Longview. The point of view of "this criminal" (that is literally what he is called in the narrative) gets annoying quickly. I want a point of view character to have a name. The story does eventually explain that he never felt a part of the We (a society in which individuality is discouraged) so he felt like his name We-39R was a lie, but then why didn't he come up with a name he secretly called himself before be ...more
Juneta Key
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique, Intelligent & a New Perspective in story presentation,

The presentation of this tale is different, but effective. When it ended I felt the need to know more. I enjoyed the story, but did not connect with the character the way I expected. It is highly intelligent and unique story presentation. There is a lot of mystery and intrigue. It makes you wonder about this world you are reading about.

She has just released the 2nd episode in this series, The Selling of Suzee Delight. It all falls tog
Kristen Walker
Enter the Death Circus is the first episode of a series of novellas, and it shows. While the story starts off with high stakes (political prisoners being marched off to death) and later hints at much more going on (the real purpose of the space ship and the mysterious owner), there isn't much to make the first installment very compelling on its own. It felt like a teaser instead of satisfying. While I liked the characters initially, it's strongly implied that they won't be around in future episo ...more
Raven Oak
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recognizing that this is the first serial in a set of serials, I was able to greatly enjoy this. I think it ended in a great spot and still left me wanting to read the next portion. I'm glad this was required reading for Holly's course as it will be interesting to see where it goes and how it ties in with the course itself.

The story makes you think and hooks you in much faster than her previous works, and the style is unique. I absolutely loved reading this and am glad to see Episode II is out!
Faith
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebook, sf
Very interesting concept.

Took me a while to get into it - the first section/chapter has an interesting cadence to it. But once I was used to it I was really engaged.

The problem was, as soon as I was really invested and the plot began to move, it stopped abruptly.

I mean, I know this is "part one", and I know it is an example developed for one of her courses, but I was a little disappointed not to get any resolution at all.
Caitlin
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A society in which planets are not allow to execute people, but instead sell them to space vessels called Death Circuses. This follows mostly one individual from a messed up society were not one is allowed to be an individual, but instead is part of the great We, with occasional flashes to another criminal from the same planet. We follow Kagen who works on one of these ships who's goal is to become a captain of this own ship. But, of course, problems arise.

Super interested to read more.
H.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was decent.

It was a decent lead-in novel. I found the 'this criminal' chapters annoying to read with all the neologisms, but I can see why the author chose to write them that way. The novel's world is interesting and engaging. I found the love story to be very flat, especially since the story hinges on it being important enough to motivate Kagen. I'm intrigued by the ship's owner and what his whole deal is.
Rebecca Glaessner
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy
Intense atmosphere and complex characters with unique world concepts make for an engrossing sci-fi. My only complaint is that it wasn't anywhere near long enough, but it's available for free via Holly Lisle's website as an introduction to the following novels in her settled space universe so I understand the purpose of the length. Loved it. Can't wait to read The Selling of Suzee Delight.
Michael Lucas
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had me hooked from the very beginning. It's a fantastic introduction to a compelling science fiction universe -- I can hardly wait to read the other Longview "episodes" and the novel series (Cadence Drake) that's also set here.
Charlotte R.S.
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A concise, complete story, yes, but there was so much detail that I really wanted to see this as a longer work--perhaps even a full novel. I was left wanting to know more. Luckily, there are other entries in the series.
Rose
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outside of What I I Usually Enjoy

Although short, the story became something I could just leave. I had to travel alongside its' character's for as long as they didn't volunteer for "forgiveness"
Alexandra
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great first episode to this series! I found it a little heavy on the exposition, but the crew of The Longview and the setting of the world pulled me in. I'm intrigued, and I can't wait to learn more about the mysterious "owner."
Joanie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I really enjoyed this novelette, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Don
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book, and it does well in setting up the next books in the series. Holly Lisle is a superb world-builder, and has developed some well-rounded characters here.
Alexandra Swanson
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the surreal atmosphere of this story. I look forward to the sequels!
Deb Osorio
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different...in a good way

I was expecting a Cadence adventure. I ended up with questions and the desire tI know more. On to the next one!
Wayne Kearney
I couldn't force myself to finish it. Very disappointed. 25% into the story and I still didn't care. The authors purposefully obscure writing didn't get my attention or suck me into the story. I spent most of my reading time with a scowl on my face. Such as "What?" "Who?" "Yeah, right..."

In the end, I abandoned the book to save myself further self-abuse and disappointment. I'm sure there was a bang-up ending, but I couldn't the leadup was too excruciating to endure. There are millions of better
Jenni
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This novella was not at all the story I thought it would be ... in a great way! The twists exceeded my expectations. I loved the dark atmosphere, the intrigue, and the subtext running throughout the story. I would definitely recommend it as a quick read before dipping into the world of Holly Lisle's incredible sci-fi stories.
Jemma Weir
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book; and I especially loved the characters. Looking forward to following more of their adventures through the rest of this series
Grady
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good short story

The storyline is strong with good characters making this a fun but different read. I hope this is not the future.
Lateefah Torrence
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is required reading in one of Holly’s courses. I dreaded the assignment as space opera has done me wrong before. Yes, I’m talking about you Consider Phlebas. Alas, I could no longer put off the work and I sat down to slog through.

Things did not start off well. The first character’s POV is written in a kind of hybrid, genderless pronoun style. I trusted Lisle to know what she is doing, soldiered on and then she sucked me in.

What is The Owner going to do with all of those (spoiler)
E.K. Carmel
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first of a series of scifi short stories. I bought it as part of a writing course, however, I genuinely enjoyed it.

It starts out from the point of view of someone who has no personal identity. You quickly learn what kind of society produces such a non-individual and the simple, human need that labeled him a criminal. Along with many others like him, he's sold to a “Death Circus” and expects to die a horrible death, but things aren't quite as they seem on this particular space ship.

I
Apr 21, 2019
K
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The First Private (The Galactic Crusade Book 1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • Dragon Blood
  • Rescued by Tordin (Olodian Alien Warrior, #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Lioness of Cygnus Five (Cygnus Five, #1)
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • The Iron Admiral: Conspiracy (Ptorix Empire, #1)
  • Interim
  • Anti Life (Anti Life #1)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars Book 1)
  • Sword of Order (Warrior of Souls #0)
  • No Middle Ground (Spineward Sectors: Middleton's Pride, #1)
  • Bren's Blessing (The Quasar Lineage, #1)
  • Uncommon Purpose (The Hope Island Chronicles Book 1)
  • Home World (The Triple Stars, Volume 0)
  • The Green Knight
  • The Phoenix Requiem (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #7)
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t

Tales From the Longview (7 books)
  • The Selling of Suzee Delight
  • The Philosopher Gambit (Tales from The Longview Book 3)
  • Gunslinger Moon (Tales from the Longview Book 4)
  • Vipers' Nest (Tales from the Longview Book 5)
  • The Owner's Tale (Tales from The Longview Book 6)
  • The Longview Chronicles: The Complete Saga [BOXED SET - BOOKS 1-6] (Tales from the Longview)

News & Interviews