Start by marking “Stalemate” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Emme Ford loves her job as a bar promoter. She runs in the same circles as musicians and socialites, getting paid to party with them. She’s content with life just the way it is, and she has no interest in marriage, kids, or growing up. But what happens when the party’s over?

Axel Jones wants to marry Emme, but she denied his proposal. They both pretend it didn’t affect the
Published March 31st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Stalemate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalemate

A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
Stalemate was a heartwarming and captivating story that grabbed my attention right front the start. I couldn't put it down from the moment I opened the book and ended up reading in one sitting. The sex is hotter than hot throughout the whole book. Lisa Suzanne did an exceptional job of writing the storyline.

The characters Axel and Emme were perfect together, through the good times and the bad. The storyline was amazing and the chemistry was beyond. Axel and his Cousin Carter own a bar, The Port
Wit & Wonder Books
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***ARC Provided by the Author for an Honest Review***

In a couple of recent books commitment seems to be one of the main conflicting issues being dealt with by one of the lead characters. What I found refreshing about Lisa Suzanne’s book Stalemate is that it’s the leading lady Emme who has a bit of a commitment phobia.

For those who read Clickbait, you will already be aware of Emme and Axel. You don’t need to read that book but I would suggest buying that first. I love knowing the whole story and
Bookworm Between the Sheets
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads-2017
Lisa Suzanne has quickly become one of my favorite romance authors! I really enjoyed Clickbait after receiving an ARC and quickly asked for an ARC of Stalemate when I saw that it was available. I absolutely LOVED this story! Stalemate leaves you with the perfect push and pull between the characters and enough 'all the feels' that you will find it difficult to put down this book! One of the funniest parts of the book is learning about Axel's middle name...

Will the bearded bar owner reignite Emme
Karen Sedgman
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emme and Axel have been dating for six months!! Emme is happy with the way their relationship is going!! Axel is wanting more, marriage and a family!! With a few ups and downs, and a surprise thrown in?? Can't say to much without giving the story away, but l would give this book a read!! I really enjoyed this Stalemate!!
Alex ♈
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little birdie told me...
3.33 stars-- I'm noticing a pattern with this author that I'm not too sure I like: selfish heroines.

Yeah, yeah, they don't usually remain selfish throughout the books, and sure, they generally see the error of their ways when it's all said and done. And *eyeroll* fine, these girls are emotionally battered and damaged and have a reason for their selfishness, but I still don't know if I like it.

I know if books didn't have flawed characters and at least a mild amount of angst they'd be the boring
Johnnie-Marie Howard
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r
Omg once I hit chapter 5 I couldn't place this damn story down I stayed up almost all night reading this. I loved it and wanted more once it was over and how it ended left my jaw hanging opening and me with so many questions. What does this really mean? of course that I want more of Axel and Emme, come on they are this amazing couple that grows with there love for each other. As you read the story your mind goes in so many different directions with each character and the way their thinking is yo ...more
Chrissy
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017

Stalemate was a refreshing, angsty book that had me hooked from beginning to end! After reading Clickbait (Courtney and Carter’s) book, I was needing to read Emme and Axel’s book to see if they would ever figure things out so when Stalemate released I immediately jumped in and was not disappointed!

Emme and Alex have been “dating” for over six month but nothing has been solidified between these two. Axel wants more and has even proposed but Emme is happy wi
Maddy's Reading
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
The concept of this book was very interesting. What happens when two people are having a fling and one wants more, while the other doesn't.
Emme did not want commitment. She was not sure if Axel was the One for her although they were together since the last six months Axel is the typical alpha, you see what you get.
When they reach a stalemate, a time apart is warranted. Can emme finally figure out what her heart wants??
A nice story with some very interesting characters. Though both Emme & A
Danielle from Short and Sassy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars
Once I started Stalemates, I could not put it down. It was like watching a crazy car crash, but it was so realistic. So true to what some couples go through, that I could not wait to see it unfold. This story was a beautiful depiction of hoe couples grow and change.

Axel and Emme are going through a rough patch. Axel wants marriage and kids and Emme doesn't want more. She is happy where she is. That is until something wakes her up from her partying ways and makes her see there is more that
Konny
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stalemate by Lisa Suzanne is the second book in this series and picks up where Clickbait ends.

Stalemate is Emme and Axels book.
Emme Ford, the bar promoter and best friend of Courtney has a " thing " with Axel, bar co-owner and cousin of Carter, Courtneys boyfriend.

Axel wants his HEA, a ring white picket fence, kids, a dog and a wife. He loves Emme with his whole heart.
But Emme wants nothing of these things. She turns his proposal down. But she wants his hot body.
They are on and off, on and off.
Sassyreads
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"how do u know when you're in love..." a question I am sure everyone has asked once in their lifetime. Emme is asking it too. things are perfect, she loves her job being the promoter at The Port, the man she is sleeping with, Axel, her boss, is amazing, the sex is amazing....but...he purposed, he wants more, the wife the kids, and a dog...emme is happy with life the way it is...or was, now there's a rift...how do you move on, when you're at a stalemate? the author effectively draws you in to Emm ...more
Kirsty Lyon
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After being blown away by Clickbait, and being pretty sure I could not love characters more, Stalemate has thrown that right away.
I have found my new favourite couple and have not been disappointed by the next book in the series.
The story is well written and you can resonate with the characters are their situation.
Can a relationship come back from a rejected proposal? Can a couple move away from the awkwardness and find their way back to each other? Grab a coffee, find a comfortable spot, and r
Nickiann Holt
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG - I thought Carter and Courtney (Clickbait) were the best couple - move over - Emme and Axel are even better!!! Totally swoon worthy. This book was romantic and heart warming. Never has there been a couple who loved each other more but yet could not communicate to save their relationship. Finally, though laughter and tears they both get on the same page and I cannot wait to read more about them in the next book. Awesome read that I highly recommend!!
Kristin J
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This book just wasn't for me, unfortunately. The writing was good, the pace was good, but the storyline just wasn't my type of book. I felt that because the writing was good, I didn't want to go lower than 3 stars just based on a personal preference storyline.

It kind of goes as follows: the book starts as Axel and Emme have hit a rough patch in their already established relationship. He wants more, she doesn't. They fight/make up, never really break up, there's OM/OW drama and a whole lot of hy
Becky Claxon
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Axel and his cousin Carter bought a bar, The Port, that Axel had been working at for awhile. Emme worked there to as a promoter. Axel and Emme have been sleeping together for about six months. Axel asks Emme to marry him while they are having sex. Emme laughs it off as she wants to keep everything status quo. Her last boyfriend that she had been with for a few years cheated on her. She wondered if love and marriage was a real thing that lasted for her. Once Axel had asked her to marry him, their ...more
TamraC
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review***

Stalemate is the second book in the series. It can be read as a standalone, but if you want to know the story behind the secondary characters Carter & Courtney, start with Clickbait.

Emme books bands for The Port, which is a bar that Axel owns with his cousin Carter. The two of them have a relationship in which Axel wants more, but Emme is happy with what they have. They are at standoff, each unwilling to give.

The author brings us
Jennifer Alexander
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stalemate by Lisa Suzanne was the first book I had read by this author and I will gladly read others. In this story the question ""How do you know if you are in love"" is asked by Emme frequently. She has a hard time understanding the concept of it and with that it hard time it causes frustration from her ever loving boyfriend Axel who knows he is in love with her and even asked her to marry him. When she denied him, they try to move on, but it is getting harder and harder for Axel to move forwa ...more
Iwona
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say besides perfect! It's a great companion book to Clickbait. You don't have to read that for this book but it'll help. We got a glimpse of Axel and Emme in Clickbait. It's so great they got their own book. Emme is afraid of commitment. She's just living for right now. She works the fast high life as a bar promoter. She works with Axel as he now owns part of the bar with is cousin Carter. She's confused on what she wants/needs but is content with how things are right now. Axel is try ...more
Margie   'CSR' Fite
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
sweet & confusing love

this was a cute story, when your past and present collide! Axel is ready to take the next steps in his relationship when Emme puts a ‘hault’ on it.. this book has a lot of fun, sexy, twists, & i love the other characters as well.. see what happens when Emme’s 1st love comes back into her ‘perfect world’ & she gets freaked out by marriage, baby & forever ‘TALK!’ ...
Ashley Hampton
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, but it was not my favorite in the series. I liked the storyline, and I appreciated the story for moving along the series. However, I didn't connect with Emme like I did with the other characters. At times, she appeared whiny to me. At times, I really liked her and wanted her to be my friend. Even though it wasn't my favorite book out of the three, I still recommend reading it.
Jessica
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Lisa Suzanne

Reviews on Goodreads. Amazon. The book addicts (fb)

I have absolutely fell in love with this series. I was so excited to find out it was a series !!
Lol
It's so cute !
Funny.
Sexy.
Sweet

It's just really good. And now I found out there is a book 3 !! Whoop whoop. I can't wait to read Carson the man whore !!
Gwen Shafer
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved

I absolutely loved Emma. She is just an amazing character. Loved these two together. Well written enjoyable storyline from beginning to end. Just a very sweet enjoyable story about getting that second chance at happiness. Love this series and the characters involved. Highly recommend.
Donna Purcell zappone
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book. Its concept was what happens when two people are in a relationship but one person wants more than the other???? Do you stay in the relationship to see if more can come out if it? Will it last if they do?
Once again alpha male and very confident, sexy female characters.
It was a fast read worth reading.
Kimkbries
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We met Axel and Emme in Clickbait and now they are here with their own story. Axel wants a future with Emme. Emme was hurt in the past and is not ready to commit. When something happens, they are forced to figure out their future. Their story was filled with emotions that had me smiling and in tears. I am a huge fan of this author and this one did not disappoint. Great story! Looking forward to seeing more of them. Carson's book is next. I know he will have an interesting story to tell!
Kelly Fountain
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic and frustrating
Emme and Axel=swoon omg I wanted to shake the snot out of Emme most of the way through this story. It's understandable to be afraid when you've been hurt so badly in the past but Axel was seriously perfect. Hot, attentive, all about her and wanting a life with her!! Some interesting curveballs are thrown in this story but again, the ending is all worth it.
Joanna
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jesus, I almost DNF this. How is it getting such good reviews? Emme is a HUGE BABY AND HYPOCRITE. Quite honestly? I cannot stand her, at all. Grow the F up. Anyway, been scanning through. Don't waste your time if you cannoy stand a girl who keeps a double standard, who is a huge baby, and so immature it makes me sick. I really cannot stand her, can you tell? Axel should have said peace out.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are my Happily Ever After Novel Thoughts...

Sometimes life throws you a curveball and you can't see the things right in front of you until it's possibly too late. This is the story with Emme and Axel.

We learned in Clickbait Emme and Axel are seeing each other and Axel wanted to move their relationship forward to the next step. In Stalemate, we learn what makes Emme tick and her reasons for not wanting to move forward.

We also see more of Courtney and Carter in this book along with meeting
Cindy Robles
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good read

It's just as good or if not better than the first the guys in this series are adorable can't wait to read the next book
Andi
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I may just love Axel & Emme more than Carter & Courtney. Wow such a great book! I love all of these characters & their stories.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lisa Suzanne is a romance author who resides in Arizona with her husband and baby boy. She’s a former high school English teacher and college composition instructor. When she's not cuddling baby Mason, she can be found working on her latest book or watching reruns of Friends.

More about Lisa Suzanne

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Royal Date (The Royals of Monterra, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99