Start by marking “Alanna: The Song of the Lioness” as Want to Read:
Alanna: The Song of the Lioness

Alanna: The Song of the Lioness

(Song of the Lioness #1-2)

"From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."

Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places. Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin h
Published August 3rd 2017 by Penguin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Alanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alanna

Start your review of Alanna: The Song of the Lioness
Kirstie Ellen
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was such a fun read! I so enjoyed this bind up of the first two novels and I’m damn glad I had the bind up, because the first ends on such a cliff hanger!! I cannot wait to dive back into this world again and read every single one of Tamora’s books!! SUCH a fun writing style! Excuse me whilst I fangirl.

The Song of the Lioness
This edition that I read is the bind up of the first two novels in the series, so Alanna: The First Adventure and In the Hand of the Godd
Eleanor
No criticism for these books, ever, as per usual for things I encountered as a pre-adolescent and can't disentangle my memories from. Maybe a little bit too much in the way of heroic exceptionalism, but if we start docking books points for that, then every YA fantasy ever published is in trouble.
Claudia Piano
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Uno dei miei fantasy preferiti! L'ho già letto tre volte! Non capisco perché non abbiano ancora tradotto il terzo e il quarto volume
Lucy
This is such a classic fantasy book which I hadn't read, but when I got a Tamora Pierce book in a book box, I moved this book to the top of my TBR and I finally got it from the library. And while I enjoyed this book, I think fourteen-year-old me would have loved it to the moon and back. I'm glad I got to read it but I'm sad I didn't read it back then.

This book is about Alanna, who disguises herself as a boy to train to be a knight, and also develop her healing magic. Along the way, she discover
Aimee
I wish I'd discovered this series when I was 13; they contain all the things younger me would have loved to see in one story (especially feisty girls who speak their minds).
At 29, sadly, I've read too many fantasy books to uncomplainingly pass over the many tropes Pierce uses. I still enjoyed it though, it's always good to go back to classics of the genre and see how they influenced modern fantasy writers.
Sanchary Ghosh
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Looking to fill my powerful heroine void after Hermione Granger and Anne Shirley, I started this series with high expectations. I was sorely disappointed. As a child I may have enjoyed this but after having watched too many nuanced portrayals of women everywhere, I just cannot.
Alanna is annoying. No other word for it. She's too perfect. I like my women having some flaws, some actual struggles, where they must beat themselves. Alanna has none apparently. She's cheeky, friendly, skilled at magic b
Karoline Andrew
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this classic fantasy book. A fairly easy read, the characters are likeable and explores some aspects of young girls growing up that other books I've read haven't. A fairly measured pace, the author spends time establishing characters/relationships/world building, but without bogging you down in too much detail and making it dull, then the last quarter of the book really fires up and leaves you feeling "And then...?" (in a good way!). Moving straight on to book 2!
Miss Sophie

The pacing at times was a bit strange - a lot of time was skipped and many incidents told rather than shown. However, it has been a long time since a book gripped me like this. I enjoyed book two "In the Hand of the Goddess" more than book one - which gives me hope for the further instalments.
Also, a fantasy book published in the 1980s with a fierce female protagonist that also includes birth control and casual sexual relationships outside of wedlock? Damn, I'm impressed!
Hannah Stranex
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unowned, want-to-own
I cannot BELIEVE it took me this long to get to Tamora Pierce. This book was fucking stupendous, Alanna is a delight and the world is fascinating. Pierce has a gift for accessible, beautiful prose that resonates in the heart of her readers. Truly incredible.
Katrine
Still absolutely love these books... 😊
Karen Edwards
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought for my neice, couldn’t put it down. Loved it.
Semi
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diese Ausgabe ist furchtbar, wer hat denn das lektoriert, Fehler alle paar Seiten!, aber HACH, die Geschichte ist immer noch toll.
Linda
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I read all of it from cover to end in one day!
Aimee
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mid-grade
I can't objectively review this series. I fell in love with Alanna et al. when I was a young teen and re-reading years later makes me so incredibly happy ❤️
AlenGarou
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro che si fa apprezzare
Devo ancora capire se questa ristampa contiene i due primi libri o solo il primo... Mah. Essendo un romanzo pubblicato decenni fa, mi sembra un peccato che la pubblicazione del seguito non sia mai stata ultimata. Come storia di formazione merita e, anche se non sono più una ragazzina, mi sono divertita molto a leggerla.
Immedesimarsi in Alanna è stato facile. Forse un po' meno per le ragazzine di oggi, troppo impegnate a non avere mai il letto vuoto, ma io mi sono riv
Rhian Pritchard
The romance was patchy and barely realistic, but thankfully it didn't take away from the rest of the book. Alanna is an interesting heroine, the pace is good for the reading age (I'd say 14-16 suitability, but 12-14 in reading level), there's tension and betrayal and court politics, and Pierce doesn't waste her words. I do prefer the Emelan books currently, but she wrote Tortall first and for a debut, this is fantastic. I'm looking forward to catching up with the Tortall universe.
Sam
Oct 07, 2019
SJ Robinson
Mar 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • Die Spur der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #2)
  • Der Traum der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #5)
  • Der Fluch der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #4)
  • Die Entscheidung der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #3)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses Box Set (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1-3)
  • The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices
  • Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter
  • The Graceling Realm Box Set
  • Throne of Glass Series Collection (Throne of Glass #1-6)
  • The Girl Who Played Go
  • The Dare (Briar U, #4)
  • Submarine
  • The Silent Duchess
  • The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #5)
  • Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #2)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Song of the Lioness (4 books)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)