Start by marking “Alanna: The Song of the Lioness” as Want to Read:
Alanna: The Song of the Lioness

Alanna: The Song of the Lioness

(Song of the Lioness #1-2)

"From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."

Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places. Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin h
Published August 3rd 2017 by Penguin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Alanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alanna

Kirstie Ellen
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was such a fun read! I so enjoyed this bind up of the first two novels and I’m damn glad I had the bind up, because the first ends on such a cliff hanger!! I cannot wait to dive back into this world again and read every single one of Tamora’s books!! SUCH a fun writing style! Excuse me whilst I fangirl.

The Song of the Lioness
This edition that I read is the bind up of the first two novels in the series, so Alanna: The First Adventure and In the Hand of the Godd
Eleanor
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No criticism for these books, ever, as per usual for things I encountered as a pre-adolescent and can't disentangle my memories from. Maybe a little bit too much in the way of heroic exceptionalism, but if we start docking books points for that, then every YA fantasy ever published is in trouble.
Claudia Piano
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Uno dei miei fantasy preferiti! L'ho già letto tre volte! Non capisco perché non abbiano ancora tradotto il terzo e il quarto volume
Rajnandini
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Looking to fill my powerful heroine void after Hermione Granger and Anne Shirley, I started this series with high expectations. I was sorely disappointed. As a child I may have enjoyed this but after having watched too many nuanced portrayals of women everywhere, I just cannot.
Alanna is annoying. No other word for it. She's too perfect. I like my women having some flaws, some actual struggles, where they must beat themselves. Alanna has none apparently. She's cheeky, friendly, skilled at magic b
Karoline Andrew
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this classic fantasy book. A fairly easy read, the characters are likeable and explores some aspects of young girls growing up that other books I've read haven't. A fairly measured pace, the author spends time establishing characters/relationships/world building, but without bogging you down in too much detail and making it dull, then the last quarter of the book really fires up and leaves you feeling "And then...?" (in a good way!). Moving straight on to book 2!
Semi
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diese Ausgabe ist furchtbar, wer hat denn das lektoriert, Fehler alle paar Seiten!, aber HACH, die Geschichte ist immer noch toll.
Aimee
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mid-grade
I can't objectively review this series. I fell in love with Alanna et al. when I was a young teen and re-reading years later makes me so incredibly happy ❤ ...more
AlenGarou
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro che si fa apprezzare
Devo ancora capire se questa ristampa contiene i due primi libri o solo il primo... Mah. Essendo un romanzo pubblicato decenni fa, mi sembra un peccato che la pubblicazione del seguito non sia mai stata ultimata. Come storia di formazione merita e, anche se non sono più una ragazzina, mi sono divertita molto a leggerla.
Immedesimarsi in Alanna è stato facile. Forse un po' meno per le ragazzine di oggi, troppo impegnate a non avere mai il letto vuoto, ma io mi sono riv
Sam
Mar 23, 2018
Eli
Sep 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Song of the Lioness (4 books)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)