Start by marking “Last Seen Alive” as Want to Read:
Last Seen Alive

Last Seen Alive

The Hero

Libby Hall never really wanted to be noticed. But after she saves the children in her care from a fire, she finds herself headline news. And horrified by the attention. It all reminds her of what happened nine years ago. The last time she saw her best friend alive.

The Swap

Which is why the house swap is such a godsend. Libby and her husband Jamie exchange their flat
Published July 13th 2017 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Last Seen Alive, please sign up.
Sara Yes, Ziggy is poisoned. Yet another awful, stupid and unbelievable thing to occur in this ridiculous book.
Gord
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Last Seen Alive
Susanne  Strong
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, edelweiss
DNF @40%

Unfortunately this book just didn't work for me. I thought the story was extremely slow - I kept waiting for something to happen and it did not. I also found the main character of Libby to be insipid. Though this is coined as a mystery/suspense, I think it is more of a domestic drama/domestic noir - that said, had I continued on, perhaps my thoughts on that would change. I am an outlier here - as all other reviewers give this one top marks so please don't go by my review.

Louise Wilson
Libby and her husband James exchange their flat in Bath for a beautiful house in Cornwall. It's a chance for them to heal their marriage. But the Cornish house is not the getaway they hoped for. They make odd and disturbing discoveries in the house. Libby never feels entirely alone. Is Libby being watched? Or is she just paranoid? What is her husband hiding? When the secrets and lies unfold, is the past about to catch up with them?

This book is full of paranoia, tension and suspicion. We get a l
Michelle
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
This book is everything I want in a psychological thriller. Secrets, lies, twists and turns that will have you flying through the pages.

Libby has recently had a miscarriage and is feeling depressed. Not to mention that since the miscarriage her marriage to Jamie has been strained and stressed. Suddenly they are given an opportunity to participate in a house swap. Libby and Jamie think this may be just what they need to get their marriage back on track. Once they arrive at the Hideaway they can'
Rebecca Carter
Libby and her husband Jamie are offered the chance at a house swap; their cozy 2 bedroom flat in Bath, for a gorgeous house in the middle of nowhere overlooking the sea in Cornwall. A holiday couldn't have come at a better time for them. Libby was caught up in a fire at the school where she teaches, and branded a hero after rescuing some kids. Although she hated all of the attention, with it bringing back some unwanted memories of a fire at a backpackers hostel in Thailand that Libby was caught ...more
Zoe Mann
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 STARS - 'Last seen alive' Claire Douglas.

I finished this book a while ago but I dropped my phone down the toilet (come on I know I'm not the only one who has done this) so wasn't able to write my review until now.

I don't know where to start! This hits the nail on psychological thriller's head! Libby Hall is the local hero after saving a child from a fire that breaks out at her workplace but it has left her feeling paranoid and brought back horrible memories of a fire from her past. A past whe
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Claire Douglas first came to my attention when I read and thoroughly endorsed her book, Sisters. Since then, I have also read Local Girl Missing, which I recall as being one of my favourite psychological thrillers of last year. Douglas is back with another jam packed twisty thriller, Last Seen Alive. This time around, Douglas presents the reader with a house swap situation gone terribly wrong.

Libby Hall is a teacher, who recently hit headlines after she save
Tracy Shephard
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is quite honestly the worst book I have ever read. I was bored by the first 1/3, the Thailand tale kind of piqued my interest but only because it was so descriptive, it was for this I gave the 2 star rating the last part was so far fetched and unbelievable I lost the will to live.

I had no emotion with the lead character Libby. She was very troubled and although I did read this thinking and hoping it would get better, I thought she needed a good shake. Emotional, jealous and insecure, I real
Nicki
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After receiving a leaflet through their door and needing some time to themselves after a traumatic event Libby and Jamie Hall jump at the chance to swap their tiny city flat for a beautiful house by the sea.But as soon as they arrive at the Hideaway Libby starts to get jittery and becomes convinced that someone is watching them.After their dog Ziggy digs up an unnerving object they decide to return home to Bath.

But they are sadly mistaken in thinking that they could pick up their lives so easily
Shirley Revill
I have only recently discovered Claire Douglas when I read a short story that was free on Kobo that I really enjoyed. Thought I would check out Last Seen Alive to see if I enjoyed this book as much as the short story that I had previously read.
This audiobook was totally amazing and it turned out to be one of my favourite books this year.
Such a brilliant storyline that I will listen to again in the future. If you are looking for a good thriller/mystery you really ought to check this out. I though
Frank Phillips
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 Stars!! This book captivated me so much I finished it and a whole two days which is unheard of for me! It reminded me a little bit of several different Thrillers I read last year however it was unique and it's very own way. I own Douglass's previous two novels and cannot wait to start them next!
Lucy Banks
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Twisty-turny plot, handled masterfully to create a compelling book that gets readers guessing.

Again, this was one of those books that I had no prior knowledge of, and the only clue was the menacing title, combined with a slightly eerie front cover. It's always fun to dive into these sorts of novels, and even greater fun when they turn out to be highly readable!

The story is about Libby, who we soon learn is a teacher
Rachel Hall
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
When I read Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas my lasting impression was pretty unremarkable and I found it another psychological thriller with a contrived plot. A solid premise was marred by some artificial characters who behaved woodenly, awkwardly stilted dialogue and some increasingly unlikely occurrences which stretched credibility. This novel impressed me more and felt more ambitious, largely because it takes a more profound concept as its starting point, with a focus on identity and how ...more
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm

photo book-reviews_zpsvxufffdq.jpg
🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2 Stars
Oh wow!!! What a read, Loved Loved Loved Last Seen Alive By Claire Douglas,
now I've got to describe this while giving nothing away as trust me that would really spoil this for you.
Mmmm, where to start,
So here goes, we have Libby Hall School-teacher, just wants to live a quiet life that is until she makes the news after saving the children in her care from a fire.
The blaze itself brings back flashbacks of losing her besti
Lisa
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Jamie & Libby swap their 2 bedroom flat in Bath for a luxury house by the sea in Cornwell ,they are trying to get their marriage on track again & they think it will do them both good. After a while they discover disturbing things in the house animal skins, skulls in trees that they wonder what is going on.

Their dog Ziggy is their baby & when he is poisoned the stakes are higher than ever before Libby is stressed enough her paranoia starts to eat at her, she becomes jealous & is enraged when she
Renny Barcelos
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

And honest it will be, I'm afraid. Also, it'll contain some mild **spoilers**.

No, this one did not work for me. Really amateur plot, juvenile writing, poor dialogues.
The idea has been done before, many times, and much better. Besides, I have an immediate distaste for any book that relies on the idea that one's significant other deserves to know every single
Joanne Robertson
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked The Sisters, I loved Local Girl Missing but Last Seen Alive is absolutely my favourite Claire Douglas book so far! She is now one of the few authors that I trust enough to preorder her books without even reading the blurb.

When Libby and Jamie have a note through their door from a family looking for a potential house swap, it couldn’t have been a better timed opportunity for them. Poor Libby is still in plaster after an incident at the school she teaches at but she is also hiding a deeper
Dale Harcombe
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The story opens with a prologue of a woman who has just killed her husband and, before then taking us to Cornwall where we meet Libby and Jamie. They have just arrived at the place in the Cornish coast. This has come about as a house swap with the other couple Phillip and Tara Heywood using their flat in Bath. It doesn’t seem a fair exchange but Phillip had said they needed to be in Bath to be near the hospital for their daughter. Libby, who had recently become famous after saving children from ...more
Eva
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5* --> 5*

Libby and her husband Jamie have had a rough couple of months. So when a leaflet drops into their letter box offering a house swap, they jump at the chance to swap their flat in Bath for a house by the sea in Cornwall. But things don’t quite turn out as expected and even upon their return home, it’s obvious there’s something sinister going on.

First, let me say I’m incredibly wary of the whole house swapping thing that’s been going on the past few years and I would never even consider
Lisa-Marie Forge
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley

I was also recommended this book by a friend. And it didn't disappoint!

I absolutely didn't see the twists coming in this book. And found myself re-reading sections to understand what was going on as the twists were so huge!!

Well worth a read!
Manda
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2017
More like 3.5 stars really.

Romped through this really quickly - it was immediately captivating. Told in 3 parts - part 1 taking over half the book, in the first person in chronological order, I was sucked right into Libby's fear/paranoia, and never knowing whether she was a reliable narrator was wonderfully haunting.

A little suspension of disbelief helped towards the end, which is fine, and I was rooting for Libby throughout. Recommended as a creepy, gripping twisty saga.

This is my third Claire
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this tense, eerie story of a house-swap gone wrong. The characters are great to read about, with Libby herself seeming a reliable narrator but there are points in the story where I wondered if everything she was saying was true, and the same with her husband Jamie. Everyone seems to be hiding something, but does it have anything to do with the strange occurrences at the house in Cornwall?

The novel had me feeling a bit ‘creeped out’ at times – something I don’t often feel whilst r
Shawna P.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-read
Well crap, I really liked this book, but man it is hard to review without giving away spoilers. Libby and her husband Jamie are given a proposal to do a house swap. Deciding they need a get away after a lot of issues, and Libby saving children from a fire where she works, the couple heads to Cornwall for a get away. However, very quickly things get very weird and Libby wonders if she is being paranoid or if her husband who is still friends with his evil ex Hannah, is out to get her.

The story ta
Emily Crow
*Warning: Review contains mild spoilers*

I'm not a big fan of the current trend in suspense novels to focus on a big, shocking twist at the end, especially as it often seems like other important elements, such as plausible plotting or complexity of character development, are neglected. When it works, it's a lot of fun, but if the twist doesn't work for me, then the whole book is disappointing.

For the twist to work, in my opinion, two things have to happen:
1. It has to be a surprise; and
2. It has
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I enjoyed Claire's last book Local Girl Missing, I feel so lucky to have been given the chance to read this before the official publication date.

Primary school teacher Libby Hall is off work after being in a fire at school which resulted in a miscarriage. One day Libby receives a note through the door asking to do a house swap. Philip and Tara Heywood have a sick child and want to do a house swap so they
Lauren Tess'x
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Last seen alive. It is one of them ‘read in one sitting’ type of books.

The book throughout made me feel tense, something in which I’ve not experienced with a book in a long time. I really felt the characters & what was happening around them come to life. I was really into the story and the going ons that when the twist came, I had to go back and make sure I’d read it right – I had, and up until that point I didn’t think I could feel even more tense and on the edge of my sea
Charmaine Saliba
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. It was a roller coaster, that kept me on edge on my chair, couldn't read faster.

Libby and her husband Jamie are going through a hard time and when a leaflet arrives, asking if they are interesting in house swap, it seems a miracle to Libby. After the fire at school where she works that costed her a miscarriage, things were tough. When they arrived in Cromwell, Libby and Jamie couldn't believe their luck, the house was magnificent and the view was stunning, with the beach in
Amanda
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a book about a good book about a house swap, although this was a small part of the story.. This book had eerie vibes from the start but it never really reached the heights of a thriller. I did, however, enjoy pursuing the mystery in this book, desperate to uncover what was happening to Libby and her husband. Libby's past is slowly disclosed and the reader discovers why she is so paranoid. The mystery got better the deeper I dived into the story.

I'm not a fan of the unreliable narrator tro
Heather Anderson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last Seen Alive follows main protagonist Libby as she swaps her tiny flat in the city for a large, sprawling house by the beach, for what she hopes will be a relaxing get-away. As expected, things don't go to plan – this is a thriller after all! – and the holiday soon turns into a nightmare.

This is a fabulous book, which I very much enjoyed reading. Rarely do I reach the 'twist' of a novel without any prior ideas as to what the twist might be, but I'm happy to say this wasn't the case here, and
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
The great thing about this author is that her stories are not too demanding of its readers; it's what I have come to think of as easy-read psychological thriller. I wouldn't say this book is edge of your seat but it's an interesting and well written story where you come to feel and care for the characters.

Libby is a successful teacher and married to Jamie. When they are given the opportunity to get away for a long weekend at the coast, they take the chance. When strange things start happening, L
Laura Rash
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has so many twists that you have to backtrack at some points to see if you really read what you think you did! Very well written!

• Powrót
  • Wachmistrz
  • Those People
  • Niezbity dowód (Celina Stefańska, #3)
  • Watching You
  • The Escape
  • Little Sister
  • The House
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Gdziekolwiek spojrzysz (Ukryta sieć, #3)
  • Invisible Girl
  • Laufen
  • Bestia (Komisarz Eryk Deryło, #7)
  • Playing Nice
  • The House Swap
  • The Good Sister
  • The Roommates
  • The Party
Claire Douglas always wanted to write novels and, after many years of trying to get published, her dream came true when she won the Marie Claire Debut Novel Award in 2013 with THE SISTERS.

Her second and third novels, LOCAL GIRL MISSING and LAST SEEN ALIVE (Penguin), are Sunday Times bestsellers.