Start by marking “Prince & Knight” as Want to Read:
Prince & Knight

Prince & Knight

In this modern fairy tale, a noble prince and a brave knight come together to defeat a terrible monster and in the process find true love in a most unexpected place.

“Thank you,” he told his parents.

“I appreciate that you tried,

but I’m looking for something special

in a partner by my side.”

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far from here, there was a prince in line to take the
Published May 1st 2018 by Little Bee Books

To ask other readers questions about Prince & Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince & Knight

David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This is book #12 (of 20) of 2018. This one is an example of where I differ from most of the rest of my family, and with the Goodreads community, that gives this a 4.45 rating, as of today. My overall rating reflects a family average, which is high because they want to support glbt romance above any other consideration, maybe. And okay, maybe they really do like it. Well, I want there to be glbt romances, too, and I do rea ...more
Gail Carriger
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, queer
This is an adorable kid’s picture book about a prince who can’t find the right princess, because what he wants is actually a knight. There’s also a dragon. It's utterly charming.
Dylan
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

This was the *cutest* thing and it would 100% work as a movie.
Mir
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale, picture
Concept: 4 stars
Sure, gay guys deserve fairy tales, too! Of course, because it'd a fairy tale it is basically instalove where beautiful people fall in love with each other's faces, but whatevs, at least a knight is useful for dragon co-slaying. Nice that the parents were fine with their son's choice.

Art: 3.5 stars
I don't love this 21st century illustration that looks like it is done on computer for an animated show. But it was fine, cute.

Prose: 2 stars
Oh, man, this poetry was terrible. Forced rh
Megan Derr
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awww, what a cute little book. I'd have loved this as a kid.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, queer, gay
This is so cute and sweet! I'm so happy that this explicitly gay prince and knight romance story is available as a picture book. I really like the rhyming text too and the fact that they just catch and tie up the dragon and don't kill it. The illustrations are mostly lovely, although a little bit pixelated on a few pages. I also wish there was some body shape and size diversity in addition to the skin colour diversity (every girl has a super tiny unrealistically small waist!).
Meg
Cringe-inducing rhymes, great story.
Jj
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just a regular fairy tale plot line here, but with the twist of the prince being gay. Okay, this is not anything new, as we will all recall King & King did this years ago and that was fun. But this is a little different and yes, it has a cute story. The illustrations are fitting for the type of fairy tale that this is trying to be. But OH, the text is not good. It is forced and painful. Reading this book with its pictures only is the way to go. Disappointing overall.
Amber
This is BEAUTIFUL and I’m going to buy it! This library copy is going on the Pride display stat.
Jason
I love what this book is about, but PLEASE don't write a rhyming book if you're not going to be consistent with the meter. Just write a story. Most picture books are better without rhyming text. Seriously.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
SO GREAT! It’s essentially your typical prince needs to find a princess to marry story but turned around to be a same-sex marriage. The best part is that the kingdom and the Prince’s parents are totally happy that the Prince found someone perfect for him. A fantastic alternative!
Rcltigger
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture_books
I really wanted to like this one more because we need more books like this, but I got off to a bad start with the bad rhyming and couldn't get beyond it. Cute pictures. I like the idea of what this book was trying to portray, but I think that this could have been much better.
Melissa
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a cute Children's story!
Becky Schnell
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely sweet rhyming story about a prince looking for his partner. LGBTQ friendly that also teaches children about acceptance.
Alana
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rainbow, 2018-reads, ala
I wanted to like this, but the rhyming lines are all over the place in length, and I can't wrap my head around royal parents not caring if the line continues.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The prince searches high and low for someone to rule beside him. Happily, he finds his partner when he and a knight work together to defeat a dragon.

A lovely new take on a traditional fairy tale story.
Destinee Sutton
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, picture-books
My three-year-old has spent a lot of time with people who are gay and definitely knows that some kids have two moms or two dads. Still, when we read this book she was surprised that the prince and knight get married. She was like, "But a prince has to marry a princess." And then I was shocked and was like, "But you know sometimes two men marry each other." And then she was like, "But not in PRINCESS STORIES!" Hoo boy. We clearly need more diverse "princess stories" in our life. The only other LG ...more
Abigail
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy-Tale Lovers / Readers Looking for Picture-Books Featuring Same-Sex Couples
In rhyming text, first-time author Daniel Haack spins the tale of a prince who looks in vain for love, until he finally finds it in the gallant knight who helps him defeat the dragon threatening his kingdom. Although his parents, determined to have him happily settled, attempt to find him a bride at first, it soon becomes clear that he isn't interested. He's looking for something different in a partner, the narrator tells us, and eventually he finds it, to the joy of all...

A sweet same-sex fairy
Victoria
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an important book! I loved every moment reading this. I definitely recommend this to everyone.
Luisa Knight
I thought this book would be about which man (the prince or the knight) that would win the princess's heart - not that they would win each other's heart! So yup, Prince and Knight marry and have a royal wedding.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before readin
Noah
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? It’s an incredibly adorable and charming book that serves a different demographic entirely. This degree of representation, even in something like a kids book, is amazing to see. I’m glad there’s some LGBT representation for the kids now, but I’m also happy for the queer parents who finally have a perfect little story time for their family.
K.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is ADORABLE! The art is super cute with vibrant colors that pop and illustrate the story in a true fairytale style. The words were rhyming, and went with the images. Love, love, love! I'll be reading this to my library storytime :)
Earl
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
A sweet twist on a fairy tale standard told (unfortunately) in rhyme.
Kris Dersch
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story is adorable. The character is likable. The pictures are passable (you will feel like you are in Disneyland, USA.)
The rhyme scheme is painful.
Alex Harrow
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the most adorable picture books, ever! 😍😍😍
Panda Incognito
This book has a 4.39 average rating because it's about a gay couple, not because it's a good book. The rhyming text is so basic, contrived, and horrible that it was a painful flashback to the kind of stuff I wrote in grade school, and even though the pictures are far better, the faces look really weird. Worse, the plot itself is an insta-love fairy tale that would garner a low average rating if it were about a heterosexual couple.

The story opens with a prince feeling incredibly uncomfortable as
Susan
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Willing to overlook the awkward rhyming text because it’s nice to have a regular disneyesque fairytale about two boys.
Kate Welsh
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was ADORABLE.
Allison Wysong
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, lgbt
Absolutely adorable! It left me with the biggest grin on my face.
Mary
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This just made me cry while I read it on the infodesk.
gorgeous illustrations and a sweet simple love story

• This Day in June
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • A Most Unusual Day
  • The Storyteller
  • The Field
Daniel Haack began writing at a young age, although much of his earliest work centered exclusively around his desire to be a swashbuckling hero. Like the Prince and the Knight, he just wants to save the day and get the boy, too. He has since written for various publications and collections, and Prince & Knight is his debut children’s book. He graduated from Ithaca College and is a Saul Zaentz ...more