Start by marking “Everywhere, Wonder” as Want to Read:
Everywhere, Wonder

Everywhere, Wonder

In this heartfelt picture book, readers are taken on a stunning journey into the imagination of a young boy—who explores everything from the pyramids of Egypt to a dusty footprint on the moon—and then back out again to the wonderful world right in front of him. From a lost balloon to an endless road, there are stories to discover, to dream about, and to share.

Everywhere,

Published February 7th 2017 by Imprint (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere, Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere, Wonder

Start your review of Everywhere, Wonder
The Library Lady
I get what is going on here, and I am sure that the crunchy granola childless hipster librarians will rave about this, but this book, so to speak, wanders all over the map. It starts with musings on far off places, then suddenly we switch to "Gosh, kids, look at what you can see in your own neighborhood."

Again, I get the point. It just doesn't work that well. Pity, because the first part is charming, and might have been useful for those times when someone wants "around the world" books or some
Rebecca Gomez
This book goes everywhere and nowhere.
GalindoLibrarian
If I could, would be more like 3.5 stars. Would be a nice introduction early on for writer's workshop - sharing your own story, noticing the little details of your life and using your imagination to think of all that is going on in the world.
Faith Tydings
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
So nice! The illustrations and the text were beautifully put together to make a magical book full of wonder and possibility. I loved it!
paula
This is one of those picture books that may work better as a discussion prompt for older kids than as a story for younger kids, although it has a classic bedtime arc, starting big (at the pyramids of Egypt) and winding down slower and more intimate until the kid is dreaming safely in bed.
Elizabeth
Minh Lê's "Best Picture Books of 2017" gave this an Honorable Mention for "Most Exuberant/Fun," but really the tone is the quiet wonder you would expect from the title.

It's a nice enough book -- encouraging the reader to Notice. "The world is full of people and places and things, all of them interesting. All of them beautiful." We start with various specific far-off places -- from Egypt to Arizona to the moon to Sheboygan -- finding our protagonist character (and young dark-skinned boy) in
JennE
Beautifully illustrated,“Open your eyes and open your window and let your story out into the world. It is a little gift from you to me.” Noticing the wonder in not only the extraordinary, such as the pyramids of Egypt or the Grand Canyon to the every day wonders such as a blue balloon in a tree and a little twisted noodle that is different from all the round ones. This reminds me of a concept in Ralph Fletcher's, A Writer's Notebook, where he tells kids not to worry if they haven't seen the game ...more
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
A little brown-skinned boy keeps his eyes wide open to fully notice wonderful things, both large and small, everywhere. Turning the pages reveals the boy visiting exotic places like jungles, sand gardens, pyramids, and African savannahs. He also takes time to appreciate the more mundane, too, like a blue balloon caught in a tree or a coin found at the bottom of a pool. Told in poetic language, “In the high hills of Japan are gardens full of wind-worn rocks and clean white sand, but not a single ...more
Melissa
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
“The world is full of people and places and things, all of them interesting. All of them beautiful.” This books speaks to my soul as it explores the wonder in the big amazing things (the pyramids! the moon!) and also the little ordinary things (ants! the sun setting on a spotted dog!). It just paints such a beautiful picture of how everything you read and see and experience becomes part of your world. Like these white flowers, which my son loves and always seems to get excited about. They are ...more
Annette
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EVERYWHERE, WONDER by Matthew Swanson and Robbi Behr brings the concept of “story” to life.

In this imaginative picture book, a young boy takes readers on a journey around the world sharing the amazing wonders around every turn. The illustrator’s appealing visuals bring each location to life using colorful collage elements.

Librarians will find this book to be an effective springboard into writing activities. Ask students to select some aspect of the book to explore in-depth. Or, just a page as
FM Family
I loved one sentence in this book, the idea that everyone notices different things, and wondering about the things you notice is what makes you you and makes the world so interesting and special. But the execution of this just fell flat for me. The prose was inconsistent, no rhyming, no really cadence, and the flow jumped from one place to another without really bringing us along. Could have been a great opportunity for a kid friendly meditation on the beauty of the day to day or the value of ...more
Theresa
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: racially-diverse
The inclusion of a non-white child as the main character doing normal kid things rather than making an explicit point about race or diversity tips it over to 2.5 stars.

The illustrations are lovely and are the stars of the book. The text is clearly written for adults, and I can see this being a popular baby shower book. I would recommend using the book to take a picture walk rather than doing a straight readaloud for kids; ignore the text altogether and let your child take the lead in talking
Marcie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Everywhere, Wonder, Swanson and Behr remind readers that there are a lot of stories to share (books?), and that readers themselves are filled with their own stories to share. A small boys invites readers to stop and notice the things around them, to find the stories. From a simple opened book on a desk, Behr’s illustrations take readers to distant lands – the pyramids, Alaska, the moon, as well as simple nearby places – a tree, a park, a street, to demonstrate the stories around us. And at ...more
Jana
This is a sweet picture book that celebrates the joy and wonder of the world around us, whether this world comes to us from the pages of a book or a walk through our neighborhood. With lyrical text, and colorful illustrations that are digital collages of sampled watercolor washes, this would be a lovely addition to a classroom library. It might even make a good mentor text to inspire writers to look at the world around them with a fresh perspective and share their stories.
Cara Byrne
"The world is full of people and places and things, all of them interesting. All of them beautiful!" This is a good book - I loved the illustrations, though the text (with meditations about the savannas in Kenya and a lonesome bear in the North Pole) loses me sometimes. The book is almost trying to do too much - does it primarily aim to encourage readers to explore the world? Honor diversity? Explore one's imagination and creativity? Learn to share and build empathy?
Lynn
"Travel these pages and take a close look." See if you can find this little poem in the book!
Inspirational book for young authors.
Be sure to peek under the dust jacket!
Would be perfect for teaching the prepositional phrase "in..." and provides many examples writers could include to brighten up their own writing.
Krissy Neddo
Was looking for a book to get my primary classes started on a short I Wonder research project. Love illustrations and the beginning, but when it switched to the balloon in the tree, I think I lost the kids' interest. And honestly, parents and teenagers, who have their faces in a phone, need to have this conversation with the author more so than the K-2 audience.
Desiree
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Everywhere Wonder" is a visual celebration of the every day mundane beautiful parts of our world. the reader is invited to become an observer of the world around them. The illustrations in this book are a wonderful mix of watercolor screen with dynamic text. This is a quick read and perfect for a bedtime story.
Amy Rae
I think this would be great for use in an elementary-school classroom! The text isn't the kind of thing I love best for pleasure-reading, but it's not bad, and the illustrations are very nice.

Special note that it includes a reference to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and thus is of particular interest to Wisconsinites. :)
Cecilia
This is definitely a picture book for older kids or even adults, especially adults in creative slumps. It was uplifting, but it was also a bit over the top, a bit too long, and a bit unorganized/chaotic. I feel like the author needed another round of edits to make this one shine.

The illustrations were beautiful, creative, and engaging!
Hannah Jane
There's some beautiful moments in this book - "In the bedroom is a doorknob that makes rainbows when the reading lamp clicks on." But what is up with the tractor mechanic who lives in Sheboygan and has thirty-seven friends???
Rebecca Caufman
This would be a good beginning of the year read aloud for primary students starting writing workshop. It shows how one can find stories all around them...both in the books they read and things in the neighborhood.
Lynn
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Energetic invitation to children to open their eyes and look and appreciate their world. Bright illustrations visit exotic locations like the Pyramids and the moon as well as neighborhood sights and sounds. A fun exploration.
Traci Escher
This is my new favorite picture book for storytime! A little girl from the preschool that I was reading to said, "look, he is brown, just like me!" Thank you to Matthew Swanson & Robbi Behr for making sure children see themselves reflected in the pages of beautiful stories.
Jesse
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have loved this to pieces, and I did for the most part, but I felt like it went on for too long. The last third I could have gone without. Still, it's a very positive, uplifting message with lovely illustrations.
Emily
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are great and very kid friendly. Instead of a story the book describes the world and how everything is beautiful. It lists beautiful things about the world and the people who live in it.
Paul
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book sharpens our mindfulness and attention to the world (also the moon) around us and cultivates joy by exploring places and experiences around the world—including Sheboygan! The core idea is that books we read or places we visit become part of our story, which is ours to gift to others.
Rachel
Great for positing questions of kids or jumpstarting discussions of writing. Beautiful artwork.
Danette
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
8/7/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Steph
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOK. Everywhere, wonder...
« previous 1 3 next »