Start by marking “Splinters (The Prospero Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Splinters (The Prospero Chronicles, #1)

Splinters

(The Prospero Chronicles #1)

Under normal circumstances, Ben and Mina would never have had reason to speak to each other. He’s an easy-going people person with a healthy skepticism about the paranormal; she’s a dangerously obsessive monster-hunter with a crippling fear of betrayal. But the small Northern California town of Prospero, with its rich history of cryptid sightings, miracles, and mysterious ...more
Paperback, Independent, 304 pages
Published June 6th 2017 by Createspace (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Splinters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splinters

Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Splinters – and thus The Prospero Chronicles – has potential. The times when the Splinters showed themselves were truly creepy, hearkening to John Carpenter’s classic The Thing. There were several scenes that I heartily appreciated for their coolness factor. In fact, the whole last quarter of the book is pretty much a solid stretch of awesomeness.

However, this was a really hard book to get into. I think it was because I found it impossible to connect with Mina. While I’ve read books with charact
Kim (_booksarelove)
I received this book as part of a blog tour through YA Bound Book Tours for review. This does not alter or influence my review in any way.
In this book we follow two main characters who are living in a town where some weird things are happening. People are going missing regularly, the latest shows up at her own memorial service. Mina and Ben have to work together to hunt these 'things' and workout where they are coming from.
On first impressions this book was weird, yet wonderful. I loved the writ
Kim
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was provided to me free of charge, and I am reviewing it voluntarily.
Splinters took me quite a while to read. It’s not a bad or boring book, but it just did not draw me in and keep me “glued to the screen” the way I would have liked. The story shows some out of the box thinking by the author(s), and the use of a (truly heroic) heroine who would seem to be either on the spectrum or suffering from mental health issues is refreshing. The other main character is fairly complex, but some of
Redd Becker
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teen horror with a touch of romance and humor.
The plot is simple in that teenagers realize they need to save-the-world, but in this horror story Fiona J. R. Titchenell and Matt Carter sprinkle the horror of Splinters with tongue-in-cheek humor that is fresh. The story follows both Ben and Mina's point-of-view in clearly delineated chapters. Splinters is one of a series of three that many teens will enjoy, but there isn’t much cross-over appeal to adults.
Shanannigans
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
In the bizarre town of Propero, these nightmares are real for Ben and Mina, and their plot is the most sinister thing you can imagine (Nah ah, you have to read it). They are called “Splinters” and no one is safe!

I really loved this book! For a horror fan like myself, it was the perfect blend of suspense, science fiction and scares. I have read Titchenell’s stuff before, so I wasn’t surprised to find it well-written and really original.

Mina is such an interesting character. Her mind works in a co
Lawrence Levee
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

Real while at the gym, very good plot, kept me guessing until the end. Will be buying 2 and 3
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review and blog tour.

Splinters is the first book in The Prospero Chronicles series following two teenagers in the small town of Prospero, California. Ben Pastors is in town with his mom for his childhood friend Haley’s funeral. Ben overwhelmed with the funeral procession steps outside for fresh air when all of a sudden the girl in which they’re at the funeral for bursts out of the forest dirty and naked. Ben who was
Michael Feeney
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A high volume of books that consider themselves ‘Young Adult’ appear to be geared toward people who are actually young adults, or even younger. I generally have no interest in them. I was bored by the Hunger Games and the first novel in the Divergent series. It all felt the same. I usually dislike the first person narrative as well.

However… I’m of the belief that there’s always exceptions to every rule!

While Splinters, the first novel of The Prospero Chronicles, touts itself as a YA novel, it al
Jessica Bronder
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben has returned to Prospero, CA to attend the funeral of a friend, Haley. But while there she is discovered. But things are not as they seem. Odd ball Mina has been fighting the Splinters for years and knows Haley is a Splinter. A Splinter is a centipede like alien that attached itself to humans or animals and wants to take over Earth. Mina knows that Ben is new to this attack and tries to recruit him to the fight. Unfortunately, because of her fighting the Splinter, Mina is socially awkward, h ...more
Cheryllynn Dyess
Suspense, Thriller, Mystery, SciFi - this book has them all! I was completely blown away by the content. I am not going to regurgitate the book to you but if you want a book set in today's time that absolutely defies all natural knowledge of how our world works and have teens be the ones who are saving the World - then yeah, this book is for you! The character building was perfect - you could see the expressions and tones used easily. Not once did you get lost in the understanding of what was go ...more
Rebekah
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from Jolly Fish Press in exchange for an honest review.

I just finished reading this book a few days ago and I am still immersed in the world that Carter and Titchenell have created. What a refreshing take on aliens and their classic roll of world domination.

Ben is in town to attend a funeral when he meets Mina, a strange girl who has been stalking him for years. And why? You need to read the book to find out!

It's hilarious, descriptive, and full of teen-angst. I was transported
Lisa Dess
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review.

I gave this book 4 1/2 stars.

This book is reminiscent of one of my favorite classic movies, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, which is what peaked my interest to want to read it.

I really liked the characters. Mina is so determined and courageous. Ben is loyal and caring. They both seem to balance each other a lot. I wish there was more from Aldo.

The twist at the end was totally unexpected. I totally didn't see that bit comi
Cornmaven
I found this to be a fun sort of modern take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Told alternately by a boy and a girl, it has really creepy descriptive images of creatures called Splinters, some character twists, and of course an ending that requires a sequel.

The writing was fine, but one unanswered question for me was why take so long to take over the world? The why of taking over human bodies is explained, but why not get it over with instead of going slowly over hundreds of years. Maybe this w
Angela Burkhead
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Splinters is a great read with amazing potential as a series. There were a few timeline and consistency issues in the book, but overall it's well written and fast paced.

I do feel a need for caution when choosing an age group for this book. There is one scene I feel would be too adult for any age under high school so I wouldn't recommend young readers picking up this book.

I won this book as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Andretta Schellinger
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book took a little to get into but once I did I really started enjoying it. It follows a girl named Mina, a boy named Ben, and some of their 'associates' though their town's history, present, and history.

This book is about what can happen when treaties are formed between two different life forms, and let me tell you Splinters are scary scary creatures.
Lolo
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Huh. I was looking for a quick, plane-ride read, so I was not expecting this book to turn out so great! It took me a little while to warm up to it, but it does draw you in right away. The characters are vivid and the storyline keeps you on your toes. I enjoyed it!
Holly
Oh my... I absolutely LOVE this cover! Can't wait to read this!
Kirk Cunningham
Mar 19, 2015
Jo Schneider
Jun 09, 2015
Karlie
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2014
  • Into the Outside
  • Bloody Bloody Apple
  • Puppet
  • Seducer Fey
  • Angel of Death:  A Love Story (Children of the Fallen, #1)
  • A Town Called Dust (The Territory, #1)
  • Weavers
  • Eve Hallows and the Book of Shadows (The Nightmare Series, #2)
  • Dead Romantic
  • City of the Dead (The Haunting of Derek Stone, #1)
  • Harvester (Harvester of Light, #1)
  • Widowmakers: An Anthology of Dark Fiction
  • Alternative Medicine
  • The Guardians: Earth (Guardians #1)
  • ShadowShifter (ShadowShifter, #1)
  • Nova (Spectre War, #1)
  • Project X-Calibur
Fiona J.R. Titchenell is an author of Young Adult, Sci-Fi, and Horror fiction. She is represented by Fran Black of Literary Counsel and lives in San Gabriel, California with her husband, Matt Carter, and their pet king snake, Mica. She has also published under the initials F.J.R. Titchenell

Along with Goodreads, you can also find her at www.facebook.com/FjrTitchenell and twitter.com/FJR_Titchenell.

The Prospero Chronicles (3 books)
  • Shards (The Prospero Chronicles, #2)
  • Slivers (The Prospero Chronicles, #3)