Start by marking “Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

Recapture the joy of being a child and apply it to your relationship with God. Ask the difficult questions about faith, then just take Jesus at His word.

Includes discussion guide.

Published September 16th 2003 by NavPress (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Wonder

Start your review of Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
Matt Mancini
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a good number of books that would fall in the "Christian Living" category, and a good majority of those that I've read were...nice. Few of them were truly inspiring. This is one of the few.

With a measure of eloquence and grace I've not often seen in any genre, Mr. Yaconelli indicts the reader for our "maturity" and pushes us to realize the meaning of "childlike faith." Somewhere in the rush to grow up we have forgotten what wonder is like and how to experience it, and further, we've
Dana Goodman
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

A beautiful book full hope, joy and childlike freedom. I would highly recommend this book if you want to be refreshed. I would also recommend his book, "Messy Spirituality." Both books leave you feeling more connected and whole.

In the Cleft Joy Comes In the Mourning: A Story of Hope After Tragedy
Groups
Per Sue Bates:

The author challenges the reader to rediscover or discover their childlike faith. He gives great stories of what it means to experience God in a childlike way, and how adults can lose that over time. He pushes the reader to think through where they've put artificial boundaries on their faith and how to overcome them. The study questions at end of each chapter are excellent - really could generate great conversations and next steps for the reader.

This is one of those rare books that
Glamazini
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, very inspiring. Slow start but got good in the middle. Left feeling encouraged to play more.
Colleen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favourites about childlike faith.
Jason Kanz
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith (1998) by Mike Yaconelli calls us back to a childlike faith. Christians, saved by God's scandalous grace to a life of wonder, are too often dour, dispassionate people having forgotten what God has done. One of the fruits of the Spirit is joy. Where is our joy?

Yaconelli writes of curiosity, wonder, abandon, playfulness, quiet listening, passion, terror, and naivete as characteristics to cultivate and not destroy. We are Christians, not
Phil
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book, with many thought-provoking statements and quotable quotes. I rushed to the end, eager to read all that it has to say. But, in reading the book so quickly, I didn't properly take hold of all the challenges and encouragements to change and develop a more childlike faith. There is, I suspect, so much more to take from this book than I did on first reading. I will have to to re-read it at least once (including the Discussion Guide, which I skipped), and take the time truly to ...more
Lee Parish-butler
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Given to me as a gift from our parish's then youth minister. It is a great read for teens in particular. It gave me a new way of seeing Christianity. Essentially what I got was, if someone is looking for an easy, comfy, show up to services and gatherings on occasion and feel good about your spiritual status then this ain't the religion for you. Christianity demands much of us that necessitates that we be shaken out of our comfort zone. This is what I call 'kicking the pews' in order to wake ...more
Carol
I argued with this book a lot: I thought Yaconelli could have used a better editor, I thought his illustrations were irrelevant or flawed, and a lot of his thoughts were somewhat annoying. Let's just say I had a bad attitude. But then. Chapter 12 is called Naïve Grace. I cried all the way through it. I think I got some grace, and was able to give some back. That and chapter 13 are a great way to end a book...
Harry
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I miss Mike Yaconelli's passion for Christ and amazing service to ministry over the years. This books helps me to be reminded of those lessons Mike taught over the years. And it has served as a continual call for me to become more childlike within my faith. A good, quick read that will stay with you in many ways. If you ever served in Youth ministry and used Youth Specialties, you will remember Mike and appreciate this book!
Ira Livingston
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended to read this as part of my duties on our church council. It seems a bit scattered at times, but when you start to dig into how to apply the ideas to your own life, it truly changes something within you. Some of the examples and stories that he uses to illustrate his points are extremely touching.

If you are looking for a fresh way to approach your faith, I would recommend this book for you.
Ken
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Childlike faith understands that God is as capable of destroying us as He is of saving us."
"God is not only present when we can see Him, He is present when we can't, and joy comes from recognizing God in places we never thought He would be. God hides in difficulty, He hides in suffering, He hides in poverty, He hides in failure, and He hides in the stories of our lives."
Dangerous Wonder will help you see and experience the danger and the wonder of God.
Mark Geisthardt
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mike Yaconelli cuts through all the unnecessary stuff to the heart of a living breathing Christianity and does it all with a wonderful writing style that keeps one hoping for more. I read "Dangerous Wonder" as part of a group/class and always looked forward to what Mike had to share with us next. A great read that strives to help you recapture your child like faith.
Robert Mako
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mike Yaconelli brought a very different perspective to the the Church that was struggling post Jesus movement. This book is a collection of stories from his life As a pastor, church leader, and foundeR of Youth Specialties. It is a fun read with a lot of personal growth thrown in among the stories. Well worth the time.
Matt D
Michael describes the many ways we adults drift from the wonder of childlike faith. It is especially challenging for those of us who value the productivity, efficiency, and responsibility of adulthood. Michael reminds us of the amazement we had when we first heard the things Jesus teaches. Certainly a new favorite of mine!
Samuel
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Read as a group discussion book so it was interesting to go through the questions together. How do we recapture a child - like faith? Yaconelli poses this and other similar questions through out his book. How much do we miss in our relationship with God when we've lost our child like faith? He would say a great deal and it was fun to discover ways to return to that.
Brian Williamson
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I wish there were six stars in the rating system.

There are not words to accurately describe the power and influence this book has had on me.

I believe I came to understand God better through Yaconelli's writing.

I read this shortly after becoming a Christian and it was as if God used this book to speak to me directly, assuring me that He was with me.
Kira
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
this would be a better book if i wasn't me and wasn't living in china. if, however, you are a busy american who doesn't play very often, it is well worth the read. and though it wasn't earth shaking for me, i was reminded and i learned.
Dovie
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't finish. It was a recommendation from someone else...maybe I'll pick it back up again sometime, but it will be a long time from now, b/c there are too many other books i KNOW i want to read on my shelf.
Tim Kruse
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who wants to be free
I love the child-like attitude of the writer. It excited and motivated me to not only think outside of the box, but to run away from the box and into the arms of Jesus.

And best of all... it was gift from my favorite cousin! (Go Janelle!!)
Brandon
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Someone who likes good short stories
Shelves: christianity
I really like this guy....
Kaia
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book; this book encourages me daily to seek my inner child; cried like a baby.
Deb
Jul 17, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Reading this for book club. Can't wait to finish it so I can start something good. The gospel of not being dull. No thanks. Didn't finish it, not going to.
Cheryl Donnelly
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a gift and it changed my life.
Cynthia
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love how Yaconelli not only demolishes the walls of my comfort zone but does so in such a simplistic and kind way.
Rich
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
i love this book and now it comes with a discussion guide. great for a small group wanting to ask questions about what it means to have a childlike faith.
Brian
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it again after 8 years, better now than last time.
Elkin Coppoolse
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
Great book about playing a childish melody in your adult life
Ashley
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yas. Pick this book up, read it, then read it again.
Sue
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I reread this book this year-- such encouragement.

• Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society
  • Searching for God Knows What
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
  • Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God
  • What's So Amazing About Grace?
  • What We Talk about When We Talk about God
  • The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Living in Christ's Presence: Final Words on Heaven and the Kingdom of God
  • Coming Home: Uncovering the Foundations of Psychological Well-being
  • The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels
“Christianity is not about learning how to live within the lines; Christianity is about the joy of coloring.” 34 likes
“I want a lifetime of holy moments. Every day I want to be in dangerous proximity to Jesus. I long for a life that explodes with meaning and is filled with adventure, wonder, risk, and danger. I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous. I want to be with Jesus, not knowing whether to cry or laugh.” 19 likes