Start by marking “Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)” as Want to Read:
Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)

Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills Trilogy #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,068 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Tucker Mills, Massachusetts, 1839. In troubled times, independent, hardworking Reese Thackery resorts to indentured servitude for survival. When the man who owns her contract dies deeply in debt, she is handed over to the Tucker Mills Bank, owned by Conner Kingsley. Reese vows to serve her remaining two years with a willing heart, finding comfort in her faith and her frien ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Just Above a Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Above a Whisper

Arlene
[review based on audio]

I’d like to point out that listening to this book should land me in the indiscriminate reader population. Above a Whisper is comfortably outside of my preferred genre but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this sweet, sweet, pretty, pretty, all-is-beautiful, and everyone-is-lovely read. I was definitely feeling the love on this one. No really! I’m not being snarky, I liked it. :)

The premise of Above a Whisper takes place around 1839, a time when indentured servants where co
Mayda
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, christian, audio
After the first chapter, it is pretty evident how it is going to end. And the journey to the end is not all that inspiring or interesting. The plot, what there is, takes a back seat to the author’s witness to her belief in God and the way to be saved through Christ Jesus. There is nothing subtle about it, and the heavy-handedness comes off as trite. The characters are shallow, the plot is thin, and the writing is not great.
MJ
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: Ultimate reading List
In 1839 in a small town called Tucker Mills Massachusetts, Reese Thackery is an indentured servant with 2 years left before she is free. When the man holding her papers suddenly dies Reese is uncertain of her future but has faith that God will protect her. What Reese doesnt know is that the man who dies owed a lot of money to the Tucker Mills Bank and the bank manager has decided that to recoop his losses to hold on to Reese's papers and she can work for the bank. When the bank owners, The Kngsl ...more
Dani
Abigail Mitchell
Another great story from Lori Wick! My fsvorite so far in the Tucker Mills Trilogy!
Danielle Bug-os
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conservatively romantic. 👌🏻
Judy
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so slow moving. Felt like it was written for Jr. High School level. I have fully enjoyed Other books by Wick.
Mary
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Lori Wick's books. She is an excellent author. This book touched my heart.
Rena Glubay
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly like books that have questions to be answered that keep you reading. This is one of those books. I enjoyed it a lot. It's the best book in the series yet.
Phylisha Stone
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian fiction lovers
I loved Reece's story. In spite of her adverse circumstances (she and her deceased father were indentured servants) she carried herself with grace to achieve her HEA.
Sharon
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Two of the Tucker Mills Trilogy...a good stand alone book. Great message of God's love and redemption woven into the story without being to "preachy". Leaves you wanting to move to Tucker Hills to be friends with Reese, the main character. It was interesting to learn that "tea" at those times was supper, a light evening meal of leftovers or snacks b/c the main meal was dinner (lunch) a full blown meal.
Barbara
Love stories make me want to do nothing but read. This is the second entry in the very pleasant Tucker Mills trilogy by Christian romance author Lori Wick, and it's an improvement over the first, but the story drags along at times due to the sheer number of characters Wick tries to balance in the plot.

The plot concerns an indentured servant named Reese Thackery (her middle name is a joke between her and her intended), whose "contract" is bought by the bank as part of a debt reassignment when he
Donna Bagby
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lori-wick
Just Above A Whisper Bk 2 ISBN 13: 9780786282005

Book 2 recounts the story of Reese Thackery, an indentured servant, who although once compromised is able to continue her life with the help of her faith and her friends. Good romance that shows no matter your circumstances, adversity can be overcome.
Stacy
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
done and rides into town.

I don’t read inspirational fiction very often and I don’t think I’ve ever made it through one as church centered as this one. I’m sure I would have given up on it if I’d been reading, but the playaway did make my cleaning go faster, so I stuck it out. I can’t say that I really got enjoyment out of it, but it was passable. My biggest problem aside from the absence of a compelling storyline was Reese and the way everyone in town treated her (I think the author would say Ch
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college
I have to say, this book took me by suprise. Maybe I'm simpling "giving in" to the genre but I did enjoy this one. Though it is the sequel in a trilogy I have not read, I did not find that fact to distracting. The conversations about God/Bible got long, especially because it felt like the author was attempting to explain it all to the reader, when I seriously doubt anyone who is seeking information like that will be reading this book.
But, this book wasn't full of the things that usually tick me
Cherie Kasper
This is truly a romantic story, a once indentured girl, now free, but working for a larger than life bank owner, is not sure what her role in life is, yet.
Reese starts out as an identured servant, even changes owners. She is an exceptionally tall girl with red hair who does not think much of herself, except that she knows she is a child of God. Most men are smaller than her so they do not scare her so much, but when Conner Kingsley comes into the picture she's not so sure.
Conner Kingsley, the b
Monkeyface
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills Trilogy #2)by Lori Wick. Through a hard turn of events, Reese Thackery has become an indentured servant. When the owner of her contract dies, the bank has rights to her fate. Conner Kingsley, the son of the bank's owner, comes to Tucker Mills to investigate and soon releases Reese from obligation and hires her to keep house for him. Reese is grateful for freedom but unsure of her other feelings for Conner. Yet, as her emotional hurts heal, and her f ...more
Corina
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nikki
Apr 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans Of Lori Wick
This sweet love story of an indentured servant and a wealthy bank owner is brought to life by the incredible Barbara Rosenblat. She transforms Lori Wick's novel into a wonderful listening experience with her expert ability to perform the parts of numerous characters. One cannot help but be enthralled with the story of 23-year-old Reese Thackery and the hardships she learns to overcome in 1839 in Tucker Mills, Massachusetts. The story of faith and love in the midst of trials produces an unforgett ...more
Susan Hatch
An excellent follow up from the first of the Trilogy. This is a light read, a quick read but so I enjoyed #1 that I wanted to continue the saga. Each is a stand alone read so there's no problem if you skip to it. Me? I have to read things in order.

The message that struck me through this book (I hope it was #2 bec I read #3 immediately afterwards)concerned our choices. In book one I was taken with the idea of doing somethingy, if just praying, for a name/face that crossed my mind. But this book m
Dawn Michelle
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
1st Read ~January 1, 2005

Re-read this book
January 21, 2010

Re-reading this book again. One of my favorites.
Re-read ~December 25, 2013

Re-Read~June 10, 2014
I love this book. I love how you can see such growth in the lives of both Reese and Conner, both in their everyday lives AND in their spiritual lives. Reese has got to be one of my favorite characters in a Lori Wick book. She is delightful and yet knows she is human and need to rely on God. A much needed comfort read right now. I love these bo
Jody
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really much better than the first book in the series. Did not do as much of that bouncing back and forth with just page and a half before a page break/character change.
Reese and indentured servant has her life turned upside down. Clinging to her faith, she tries to deal with everything that comes up. What she does not expect is the bank owner to come to check on the bank/her papers. Conner is not like an man she is use to and not just because he can not speak about a whisper. Troy is so funny an
Diane
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed keeping up with characters introduced in the previous book and learning more about new ones. This was a good stand alone book as well.

More of the daily living of Christian values is introduced a little more in this book. The awakening of the working of Christ's spirit in people's lives becomes more of the focus.

I enjoyed the little bit of intrigue and suspense that was attempted in this story. It kept you waiting for someone to jump out of the shadows.
Megan
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Christian woman who enjoys books with faith intermingled in the story, I still had to skip the numerous sermons delivered in this book. There is a vast difference between "intermingling" and "bashing you over the head with" faith. I enjoyed the story line between Reese and Connor. With the other folks who were questioning religion constantly I felt like they needed to get over it, get a clue, and get religion! End of story
Crystal B
Jul 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Lori Wick's books, but I find her newer ones have the same type of characters each time. I love that she explains salvation each time, but it seems that once her characters come to know Christ, they all turn out the same. I also find that she jumps around from story line to story line too much. We see snippets of all these characters, but often none of it really adds to the storyline.
Because_I'm_Batman
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Because_I'm_Batman by: Grandma
I thought this was a rather sweet book. Reese was a great heroine with a good heart. I loved Conner and his sense of humor once they became friends, I only wish them getting together was little bit more explained, I became a little confused at that part. The christian message was well thought out, and you could tell the writer had put a lot of thought in to it.
Overall it was an enjoyable book though a little slow.
Libby
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at Deseret Books and so I thought it was an LDS novel. When I started the book and it talked about a small church group of some undetermined religion I thought "Okay, the missionaries are going to be coming into the picture soon. They never did. This was not an LDS novel but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had several little moral lessons, a little romance, a little drama, etc.
Bree
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was interesting at times, but at other times slow-going. It was easy to understand, and overall the plot was good. I liked how the characters applied passages from the Bible and their faith to their "life" situations. I will take a peek at the last book in the series to see what happens.
Nancy
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to be the 2nd book in a series but so far, it seems to stand alone. It is a bit religious for my taste but I'm taking it all in stride.

Now that I'm done, I would say that it was very religious. I did like the story and character development. Way too preachy but I did finish it. It was set in the 1840s, a time period I like and the story moved along.

Jill
#2 in Tucker Mills Trilogy. I will have to try to find the first book in the series as I am now reading the 3rd book. Very religious themes. Sweet romance. Set in MA around 1840. This one is about Reese and Conner.
  • The Maverick (Men of the Saddle #3)
  • Under the Northern Lights (Alaskan Quest, #2)
  • A Searching Heart (A Prairie Legacy, #2)
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles, #4)
  • Alabama
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • True Honor (Uncommon Heroes #3)
  • Along Came Jones
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

Tucker Mills Trilogy (3 books)
  • Moonlight on the Millpond (Tucker Mills, #1)
  • Leave a Candle Burning (Tucker Mills, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
  • Starter for Ten
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Scored
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • The Paradise Guest House
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound