Start by marking “Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)” as Want to Read:
Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)

Just Above a Whisper

(Tucker Mills Trilogy #2)

Tucker Mills, Massachusetts, 1839. In troubled times, independent, hardworking Reese Thackery resorts to indentured servitude for survival. When the man who owns her contract dies deeply in debt, she is handed over to the Tucker Mills Bank, owned by Conner Kingsley. Reese vows to serve her remaining two years with a willing heart, finding comfort in her faith and her frien ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Just Above a Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Above a Whisper

Start your review of Just Above a Whisper (Tucker Mills, #2)
Arlene
[review based on audio]

I’d like to point out that listening to this book should land me in the indiscriminate reader population. Above a Whisper is comfortably outside of my preferred genre but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this sweet, sweet, pretty, pretty, all-is-beautiful, and everyone-is-lovely read. I was definitely feeling the love on this one. No really! I’m not being snarky, I liked it. :)

The premise of Above a Whisper takes place around 1839, a time when indentured servants where co
Mayda
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, audio, romance
After the first chapter, it is pretty evident how it is going to end. And the journey to the end is not all that inspiring or interesting. The plot, what there is, takes a back seat to the author’s witness to her belief in God and the way to be saved through Christ Jesus. There is nothing subtle about it, and the heavy-handedness comes off as trite. The characters are shallow, the plot is thin, and the writing is not great.
Abigail Mitchell
Another great story from Lori Wick! My fsvorite so far in the Tucker Mills Trilogy!
Kate
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Truly abysmal, even at 1.5x speed read by Barbara Rosenblat. The history is iffy, or rather, these are modern characters having modern theological discussions and converting to a very specific form of modern evangelical Christianity identified as the only right way to get to heaven, in a history lite 1840s. Gender essentialism is heavily promoted (our heroine is an ideal housewife after having been an indentured servant!) and only those who are the right kinds of saved Christians can be trusted ...more
MJ
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: Ultimate reading List
In 1839 in a small town called Tucker Mills Massachusetts, Reese Thackery is an indentured servant with 2 years left before she is free. When the man holding her papers suddenly dies Reese is uncertain of her future but has faith that God will protect her. What Reese doesnt know is that the man who dies owed a lot of money to the Tucker Mills Bank and the bank manager has decided that to recoop his losses to hold on to Reese's papers and she can work for the bank. When the bank owners, The Kngsl ...more
Stacy
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
done and rides into town.

I don’t read inspirational fiction very often and I don’t think I’ve ever made it through one as church centered as this one. I’m sure I would have given up on it if I’d been reading, but the playaway did make my cleaning go faster, so I stuck it out. I can’t say that I really got enjoyment out of it, but it was passable. My biggest problem aside from the absence of a compelling storyline was Reese and the way everyone in town treated her (I think the author would say Ch
Dani
Corina
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Crystal B
Jul 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Lori Wick's books, but I find her newer ones have the same type of characters each time. I love that she explains salvation each time, but it seems that once her characters come to know Christ, they all turn out the same. I also find that she jumps around from story line to story line too much. We see snippets of all these characters, but often none of it really adds to the storyline.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tucker Mills 2

I very much enjoyed this book, as I do all of hers. My favorite thing about her books is that people have such a hunger for Jesus and His Word. I love that someone always accepts Him. This story shows me that God wants good things for His children, no matter how hard life can seem at times. I can’t wait to read the other books!
Anna Marie
The list of characters included at the front of the book was helpful. More of Lori Wick’s books should include this, since she often adds a confusing amount of characters, especially when her sequels also involve previous main characters.
Also, the beginning of this book includes the end of the previous book with Jace and Maddie. That was fine with me because I liked how the previous book ended. But, I did grow tired of having scenes with Jace and Maddie in them throughout the book. It seemed li
Shannon
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute quick read, that can stand alone, although part of a trilogy. Reese is an indentured servant to Mr. Zantow, and although she is afraid of him when he drinks, which he does often, she is making the best of it. When she comes home and finds him dead, she has high hopes that she will be free. BUT no the banker has claimed her for the bank so she now cleans the bank, helps at his home-even though his wife does not want, and whatever else he can come up with. Then a note is sent to the owner of ...more
Ellen White
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts with Mr Muldoon the pastor that Jake is interested in hearing. Though he is not their pastor. Jake was searching for truth and understanding of what the Bible was teaching. Reassuring Maddie they would be doing this together.
Reese was an indentured servant when her owner died. The bank was holding the papers, of which seemed to delight Mr Jenness.
Doc had never heard of such a thing. The owners of the bank come to town to do an audit and find that money was owed by the deceased and he
Michele
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book in this series more than the first one. Based in Massachusetts during the 1800s. This book follows Reece, a young woman and an indentured servant to a carpenter. When he dies, and it is found that he had large debts, the bank comes in to try to recover some of the funds. In doing that, they take over Reece's contract, not due to expire for another two years. God has other plans in mind, though, and the book is that journey. Some great characters, some lessons of love and how ...more
Randy Tramp
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reese Thackery is an indentured servant. Conner Kingsley, the son of the banker's owner, comes to Tucker Mills to investigate and soon releases Reese from obligation.

A nice Sunday afternoon read or in my case, an April Blizzard. I liked almost everything about the story. (There were a few times the writing turned peaching.) Besides that, I enjoyed the Bible mixing with everyday lives of people, producing only what God can create.

A love story, both human and God.
Kelly Nimegeers
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome novel about faith, strength, and the courage it takes to survive an ordeal like being an indentured servant for the bank after her first master dies of old age. The sad thing about this person was, he would drink and then he would rape her. You would think that after the struggle of that event, the bank would just free Rose and that would be the end of this horribleness in her life. However, into her life comes the bank manager who treats her with the most contempt and disres ...more
Anita
Sweet story of a a young indentured woman and her strong Christian beliefs that see her through hardships - the death of her master, the passing on of her papers and the development of a lasting love.
Den
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conservatively romantic. 👌🏻
Mary
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Lori Wick's books. She is an excellent author. This book touched my heart.
Judy
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so slow moving. Felt like it was written for Jr. High School level. I have fully enjoyed Other books by Wick.
Rena Glubay
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly like books that have questions to be answered that keep you reading. This is one of those books. I enjoyed it a lot. It's the best book in the series yet.
Linda Maynard
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Wonderful Christian love story. Would recommend it to anyone who wants that warm love that can only be between two people with Christ in their lives.
Liz
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet book. Has some intrigue but overall a simple, spiritually encouraging book.
Stephanie Salyer
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Jan St Clair
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Great series!

Don't miss this series by Lo4 Wick! The author is fantastic! You will want to read these in order as characters reappear. I am looking forward to book 3.
Sharon
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Two of the Tucker Mills Trilogy...a good stand alone book. Great message of God's love and redemption woven into the story without being to "preachy". Leaves you wanting to move to Tucker Hills to be friends with Reese, the main character. It was interesting to learn that "tea" at those times was supper, a light evening meal of leftovers or snacks b/c the main meal was dinner (lunch) a full blown meal.
Barbara
Love stories make me want to do nothing but read. This is the second entry in the very pleasant Tucker Mills trilogy by Christian romance author Lori Wick, and it's an improvement over the first, but the story drags along at times due to the sheer number of characters Wick tries to balance in the plot.

The plot concerns an indentured servant named Reese Thackery (her middle name is a joke between her and her intended), whose "contract" is bought by the bank as part of a debt reassignment when he
Donna Bagby
Just Above A Whisper Bk 2 ISBN 13: 9780786282005

Book 2 recounts the story of Reese Thackery, an indentured servant, who although once compromised is able to continue her life with the help of her faith and her friends. Good romance that shows no matter your circumstances, adversity can be overcome.
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college
I have to say, this book took me by suprise. Maybe I'm simpling "giving in" to the genre but I did enjoy this one. Though it is the sequel in a trilogy I have not read, I did not find that fact to distracting. The conversations about God/Bible got long, especially because it felt like the author was attempting to explain it all to the reader, when I seriously doubt anyone who is seeking information like that will be reading this book.
But, this book wasn't full of the things that usually tick me
Cherie Kasper
This is truly a romantic story, a once indentured girl, now free, but working for a larger than life bank owner, is not sure what her role in life is, yet.
Reese starts out as an identured servant, even changes owners. She is an exceptionally tall girl with red hair who does not think much of herself, except that she knows she is a child of God. Most men are smaller than her so they do not scare her so much, but when Conner Kingsley comes into the picture she's not so sure.
Conner Kingsley, the b
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Unwanted Bride And Her Protective Rancher
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)
  • Beloved Hope (Heart of the Frontier Book #2)
  • Betty's Books (Clover Creek Caravan Book 4)
  • A Tailor-Made Bride
  • No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1)
  • Sea Rose Lane (Hope Harbor, #2)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • Steadfast Heart (Brides of Seattle, #1)
  • A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, #1)
  • The Icecutter's Daughter (Land of Shining Water, #1)
  • Leaving Lavender Tides (Lavender Tides #1.5)
  • Cherished Mercy (Heart of the Frontier #3)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
  • To Win Her Heart
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."

Tucker Mills Trilogy (3 books)
  • Moonlight on the Millpond (Tucker Mills, #1)
  • Leave a Candle Burning (Tucker Mills, #3)