Start by marking “The Incurable Wound” as Want to Read:

Berton Roueché

The Incurable Wound

narratives of medical detection
paperback, 141 pages
Published 1966 by Berkeley Medallion (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Incurable Wound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incurable Wound

Pamela Schoenewaldt
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this with fascination years ago, attracted by the title and the writing style. Much of what were mysterious or incurable situations then can be dealt with now, but what was intriguing about THE INCURABLE WOUND was the patient process of sleuthing, the medical way of thinking. It doesn't pay to be too arrogant about our medical knowledge. There is still so much that is beyond us. I remember a man presented with various symptoms which could not be explained until a dedicated doctor found hi ...more
Willy C
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A glimpse into medicine at the middle of the 20th century, when it had discovered many of it's wonder drugs-- antibiotics, cortisone and effective vaccines-- but was still, in many crucial ways, in the dark. And yet the wonderfully ironic thing about this collection of essays is that Dr. Rouche is writing about the history of medicine in the same way I now write about his work: from a distance, more wise, and just a little bit chiding about the foolish things doctors/healers used to believe.

Rabi
Rosemary
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I read this collection of medical mysteries when I was in high school. Each was written as though the doctor was a detective trying to find the cause of a crime. I think many of the stories originally appeared as pieces in The New Yorker. The title story is about rabies, for which there was only Pasteur's painful treatments at the time of the book's publication. Other topics include the manic-depressive jag caused by cortisone, carbon tetra chloride poisoning, amnesia, and aspirin overdoses.
Chris Gager
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
An oldie just remembered. I think I had this back in the 50's and got it from Scholastic Magazine's mail order catalog via Jr. High English class... The title must've attracted me. Date read is a quess. A movie starring James Mason was made from the one about the guy taking Cortisone, a wonder drug of the time. I forget the title.
Molly Varley
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Molly by: my dad
This is a book about different diseases/outbreaks during the 1950's. I was given this by my dad years ago, and finally got around to reading it. While some of the science is most definitely outdated, the book has thusfar been very enjoyable.
Amie M
Feb 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
Not sure I'll finish this one because the writing style is awful.
Colleen
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-nature
old school house like medical mysteries
David
Ben
Jul 15, 2011
Jacob Bailey
Jul 13, 2018
Berton Roueché was a medical writer who wrote for The New Yorker magazine for almost fifty years. He also wrote twenty books, including Eleven Blue Men (1954), The Incurable Wound (1958), Feral (1974), and The Medical Detectives (1980). An article he wrote for The New Yorker was made into the 1956 film Bigger Than Life, and many of the medical mysteries on the television show House were inspired b ...more