Start by marking “Dare to Fall” as Want to Read:

Dare to Fall

Death.
She was afraid of it.
He was used to it.

There's not much that MacKenzie Rivers is afraid of. In the small town of Windsor, Colorado, she is known for her easygoing, strong personality, some would even say she isn't afraid of anything. But MacKenzie knows that's not true. She's afraid of losing those closest to her. Recovering from a family tragedy, Kenzie is fully awa
Published July 27th 2017 by Black and White Publishing (first published July 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Fall, please sign up.
Manon I don't know, but I hope so. I would like to know how Holden's life will evolve and how the Hunters (Dani and the grandparents) will overcom…moreI don't know, but I hope so. I would like to know <spoiler> how Holden's life will evolve and how the Hunters (Dani and the grandparents) will overcome the situation. </spoiler> I still have a lot of questions and I would like to have some answers.(less)

Start your review of Dare to Fall
Janay Brazier
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Estelle's writing. It flows so well and has me hooked in from the start every time. I still think I prefer the DIMILY series but this is a fantastic story. I love the characters and there are so many emotions within this book, it's unreal. Another brilliant read by a truly talented author.
Maggie • Library of Colors
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 40%

I think I got through far enough to decide I didn't want to keep going and rate it. The story wasn't bad, it was just flat. Bland characters, bland writing, just... bland. I was reading another book at the same time, and it was so much more in depth.
Scrill
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, arc, romance, ya

Reviews like this can also be found on my blog, Vicariously & Voraciously

ARC received from publisher for a fair review

When Mackenzie’s almost boyfriend’s parents die in a car accident, she ghosts him because she can’t handle being around the grief surrounding death. A year later, she bumps into him and sparks fly. Kenzie must face the choices she made when she ditched Jaden when he needed him the most as well as deal with the grief her own family has barely been dealing with.

The Story-
This is no
Dora (d_ireadromance)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to start of by saying how much this authors writing has developed from DIMILY. I was sucked in from the beginning like I knew I would. I am blown away by the age of the author and the many different hard topics this book touched upon. They were written so delicately and so nicely. MacKenzie is so straightforward and brave, which I love. Jaden is just everything lol. I can’t rave enough about this book without saying too much because it’s a must read.
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Dare to Fall is a YA contemporary based on teens dealing with tragedy and loss. Sadly, it doesn't ever really fulfil its destiny or have enough depth to be effective, and while I enjoyed parts of it, overall I found it very underwhelming.

I picked this up because I do love an emotional gut-ripper now and then, and YA contemporarys that sound like they'll achieve this for me feature regularly on the wheel of genres I like to rotate. Unfortunately, this was not the book I was looking for. It had th
Nicola
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dare to Fall is one of those perfect YA romance contemporaries that you find yourself becoming completely engrossed in. From the romance, to the drama, the twists and the more serious aspects, it was completely addictive.

Whilst this is a romance novel, serious topics aren't shied away from and are dealt with realistically and delicately. There is an overall theme of grief and how people cope with that in different ways. Each character dealing with grief has their own way of dealing with it. Some
purple_peppermint
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the simple, elegant front cover of this book so decided to try it. I devoured the book and finished it in less than two days.

This book explores different characters coping in very different ways with grief from losing their loved ones. The two main characters are the protagonist, McKenzie and her long-time crush (and boyfriend), Jaden. McKenzie struggles to cope with the loss of her sister, Grace, who was stillborn whilst Jaden and his sister, Danielle, try to overcome their grief
Miia
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 3-stars
Actual rating 3,5⭐️
I really really liked this book! I loved the characters and I liked how the idea was a little different than other YA novels that I’ve read. My only problem was that all the drama in this book was always resolved quickly. Also the ending didn’t give me as much answers as I would have wanted.
But I have to admit that I really love Estelle Maskame’s books!!
Samantha (WLABB)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

When the Hunter twins' parents were killed in an automobile accident, Kenzie abandoned them. Not because she was heartless, but rather, because she was already drowning in her own family's grief, and could not handle anymore. But she made a choice, after a year, she thought it was time to reconnect with the twins, and this effort might actually open her pathway to healing.

This was a really beautiful portrait of grief and mourning. Both families were dealing with loss, but they
ari
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really cute book. I am not a contemporary fan but that didn’t stop me from enjoying it.

The relationship between MacKenzie and Jaden was so cute and I was shipping them from the very first moment.

MacKenzie, Jaden and Danielle are interesting characters and they make the story more and more interesting. You care about them and their journey. This is important because most of the time contemporary books have shallow, whiny and annoying protagonist and it has to change.

All in all, I am impressed.
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dare to Fall is about Mackenzie Rivers, a seventeen year old high school student living in a small town in Colorado. She and her best friends, Will and Holden, are hanging out in Dairy Queen one Sunday night when Mackenzie sees Danielle (Dani) Hunter there. Mackenzie has been avoiding Dani and her twin brother, Jaden, since their parents died last year.

The reason is way, way less scandalous than you think. She's so used to the grief in her own family (complete with hackneyed plot regarding a par
Tarnparit
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maddee-read-this
I've been seeing this book everywhere and finally decided to take the leap. I can't say that I'm disappointed. The story was well put together with a decent plot. It wasn't too crazy like the author's DIMILY trilogy.
The story revolved around MacKenzie as she struggles to deal with her feelings for a guy (Jaden) that she almost had a thing with. The "thing" ended before it even started when Jaden's parents died in an accident. Throughout the book, we learn that her reason for backing out has not
Sarah Swartz
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DARE TO FALL was an absolute page-turner. I couldn't put it down and when I had to, I couldn't wait to pick it back up and continue reading it. I recommend it to everyone who is craving a chilling teen romance. It was perfect!
Bec
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pierina
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not too sure what to say about this book. I enjoyed it but only so much that I enjoyed the romantic aspects of this book. I didn't feel like the characters were real enough despite the fact that they are fictional. Yes, they each had a story to tell that was very personal and dealt with grievances but I just didn't connect with it. The cover is absolutely stunning which was one of its pull factors that drew me to this book as well as the synopsis. I didn't hate this book, I just didn't conn ...more
Exillior
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Estelle Maskame may well have experienced loss and grief, but this novel reads as if she either hasn't, or would rather not engage with the issues she's bringing into the book. It's full of "telling" instead of "showing", and ultimately it was shallow and unrealistic.

And I find myself yet again wondering if healthcare is so different in the US that people don't have access to even basic counselling after a bereavement? Certainly what we are told about the stillbirth is miles away from the reali
Mikayla
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dare To Fall is exactly what I wanted from Estelle Maskame after the conclusion of the DIMILY trilogy. It's an honest and confronting look at how people handle their grief. Ignore it, bury it or carry it with them every day.

I found the characters to be a realistic with the relationship dynamics an accurate representation of real life. One of my favourite things about Estelle's writing is just how researched the places her characters live are. I can only imagine how many hours she spends pouring
Literarily Disturbed
So, I enjoyed the DIMILY trilogy by Miss Maskame. I especially loved how much her writing improved between book 2&3 of that series, so naturally, this book being the next thing she released, I hoped her writing would be just as great as DIMIMY (book 3)! It took me over 6 months to get to this book - not because of my ever-growing TBR pile getting in the way, but because I really didn't want to be disappointed. But unfortunately, I am.

Mackenzie feels A LOT like Eden (from DIMILY), I mean, they're
Georgia
Sarah Emilia Hopkins
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't really enjoy this book. Most of the text consisted of the main character 'Kenzie's' inner thoughts, which really weren't that interesting. I got sick of her explaining how blues Jaden's eyes were REAL QUICK. Like okay, we get it, they are really blue! I was kinda surprised by Jaden's character because I got the idea that he was going to be really mysterious but he was never that.
The jealous ex was just so predictable and stupid. I get that the author was trying to create some tension
Rhianne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. I will admit, I wasn’t hooked from the beginning, but after about 30 pages or so I was LOOOOVING it. I read well over 100 pages today which is not like me to do at all as I’m someone who reads in smallish doses. This was my first time reading Estelle’s work and I would deffo read more of her books. What I loved about this book was that I honestly didn’t predict the ending. Normally with these types of books you know what’s going to happen, but this was a lil’ eyebrow r ...more
chanita
Lara
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to think about this one because it wasn’t that exciting as I thought it would be.
Anyway, I liked the idea of the story and that you can read it very fast for the reason of the authors writing style. But somehow the characters couldn’t 'get' me.
So I loved the Dark Love Trilogy but this new novel couldn’t convince me at all. To be honest I’m a little bit disappointed.
Natalie Kate
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-books
I had no doubts that I would love this book - there's just something about Estelle's writing that screams to me. But I'm sat in bed with tears streaming down my face wondering how on earth I ended up here. Still. No regrets.
Sara
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 again bc the ending was kinda abrupt and didn't wrap anything up but other than that holy shit
Charlotte Burns
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dare to Fall is the story of MacKenzie and Jaden: their tragedies, their families and their friends and their relationship. Kenzie has separated herself from Jaden (her boyfriend) and Danielle (her best friend) after the death of their parents because she doesn’t know how to treat them. The story picks up a year after this tragedy, and Kenzie is still avoiding them. It’s hard to understand this at first: Kenzie seems selfish and I found myself shouting “it’s not about you” at various points. Lat ...more
Liv
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in a matter of hours. I couldn't read Dare To Fall fast enough! It's been a very long time since I've raced through a book so fast!

From the very first chapter you notice the difference in Estelle's writing. You can see clearly how much Estelle has developed as writer since Did I Mention I Love You . I wouldn't say the writing style is more grown up but more that she has perfected her craft!

I was super excited to start Dare To Fall but I was also hesitant because I loved the
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I really enjoyed the raw emotion in the story and Kenzi's journey her mom, her own grief, and her relationship with the Hunter twins. But I felt like the ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying that it brought the story down.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Kate
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved DIMLY and those books got me out of a years long reading slump, therefore I was super excited for this book!
While I did enjoy it, it was no DIMLY and I don't think anything ever could be in all honesty.
I ended up finding it a little slow paced, but in the last 100 pages everything picked up and that added to my enjoyment of the book a lot. Overall, I would have enjoyed a bit more drama, but it was a really lovely book with a sweet story and I didn't see certain things coming which was a
Zoe
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be perfectly honest, I didn't enjoy this book at all but I really think that comes to personal taste which I will explain.

Dare to Fall is very well-written. I wouldn't say it was the best but it's brilliant when you take into account that Estelle Maskame is only 20 years old. It's very sweet and has a really cute love story. I loved Will and Jaden and really admired Dani and MacKenzie. It made me laugh in some places and well up in others so yeah it was nice.

Like I said earlier, I didn't real
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Starlight
  • Culpa nuestra (Culpables #3)
  • Begin Again (Again, #1)
  • Trust Again (Again, #2)
  • Ne t'attache pas
  • PhonePlay
  • Feel Again (Again, #3)
  • Culpa tuya (Culpables #2)
  • Culpa mía (Culpables #1)
  • Si Seulement
  • 13 Locuras que regalarte (Volver a ti #3)
  • Pavogtas lietus
  • Marfil (Enfrentados, #1)
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Nos Âmes Tourmentées
  • Todo lo que somos juntos (Deja que ocurra, #2)
  • Ébano (Enfrentados #2)
  • My Dilemma is You (My Dilemma is You, #1)
Estelle Maskame is a novelist from Peterhead in Scotland. After gaining universal acclaim online during her teenage years, she signed a print contract with the Edinburgh-based publisher Black & White Publishing at the age of seventeen. She left school and now writes full-time. Did I Mention I Love You? is her first novel. ...more