Start by marking “Flashlight Night” as Want to Read:

Flashlight Night

Flashlight Night is an ode to the power of imagination and the wonder of books. Three children use a flashlight to light a path around their backyard at night; in the flashlight's beam another world looms. Our heroes encounter spooky woods, a fearsome tiger, a time-forgotten tomb, an Egyptian god, a sword-fighting pirate, and a giant squid. With ingenuity, they vanquish ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Boyds Mills Press (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Flashlight Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flashlight Night

Cecilia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story is pretty average for a story. Kids get into antics playing imagination games. Big deal.

NO IT IS A BIG DEAL. You know why?

THE M.F'ING ILLUSTRATIONS!! They're ingenious. Instead of a typical story about a flashlight revealing that the scary shadow in the corner is just a chair, this flashlight reveals swaths of imagination and intrigue. The cat in the back yard becomes a tiger in a jungle. The deck turns into a pirate ship. It's beautiful and so, so creative.

I loved that this book to
Kate Olson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a galley of this title for review purposes.

Flashlight Night is a picture book that educators and parents will be so excited to share with children, both at home and school. It demonstrates exploration, imagination and curiosity, as well a sense of play that almost jumps off of the pages in Koehler's illustrations. The text is sparse and lyrical, with no more than 4 lines of text on any given page spread. The opportunities for flashlight play after re
Earl
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful rhyming picture book that takes readers into quite an adventure. When the light's out, the imagination turns on!
Breanna
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to #kidlitexchange for my review copy of this book! All opinions are, of course, my own. This is a super perfect read for the little ones around Halloween. It's not scary but it's all about the dark and I found myself reading it in a whisper, even with no one else around! I'm terrible at rhythm but even I could tell this book had a good one (every line rhymed). It's a super quick read so, depending on the child, you might want to have another book handy to read with it at bedtime (my n ...more
Donna Mork
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute, three kids have adventures at night with their flashlight to lead the way. Until someone says lights out. Then all go to sleep.
KC
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the poem but not the illustrations
Michelle Simpson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is absolutely stunning! There is so much to notice and the text is beautiful as well. I look forward to sharing it with students.
Mrs. Krajewski
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son and daughter will love this one!
Michele Knott
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, gorgeous picture book. Full of beautiful words and amazing illustrations. Shines the spotlight (see what I did there??) on creativity and imagination!
Jeff Corrigan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated by Fred Koehler!
Andy Plemmons
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fred Koehler's illustrations are incredible in this book. The flashlight beam illuminates parts of the page to reveal imagination and adventure right in the backyard. It's even more fun to read in the dark with your own flashlight.
Linda
I love picture books, but I especially love them when the author’s words are poetic and the illustrator’s imagination brings forth the very best of those words into something that can be enjoyed by all ages. This book by debut author Matt Essenwine will be out in early September. I was lucky to win a copy from Matt, who signed it for my granddaughters, who adore it. I have my own copy too, and think I love it just as much as they did. Now I wish I had a class to read it to!
Matt begins to celeb
Chuck Mageean
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Target audience: Early elementary
Summary: Three children drag a stack of adventure books, bedrolls and a flashlight to their backyard treehouse. Soon they sally forth, using a flashlight to "open up the night" revealing a shadowy and increasingly fantastic world replete with tigers, hieroglyphs, ancient tombs, pirates threatened by kraken and castles. As the adventure proceeds and the children find themselves in increasing danger, a narration of simple couplets spells out the events in rhyme unt
Linda Lou
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3-8 year olds
Shelves: children-5-8
By Matt Forrest Esenwine
Illustrated by Fred Koehler
Rating 5

I’ve never read a book under the covers with a flashlight before. I mean I was the eldest of four girls who shared a bedroom...it was two in a bed so any privacy was non existent. Sooo, what happens when you have a flashlight, a book and the dark of night?  I will let you know...I’m giving this book along with a flashlight to my grandson, who is almost three. This will be a new adventure for the both of us and I can't wai
Lisa
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun. The pictures were vivid and sharp, the story was not wordy but to the point and it flowed. The pictures left room for the reader and child to imagine more. I could think of a few things to do for a storytime as a professional and as a parent that would be fun. You could set up tents with lights and go on a ghost hunt yourselves with flashlights. Do a craft drawing or painting or coloring shapes from the flashlight. This book give so many possibilities if one has the im ...more
Jana
Beautiful illustrations show just what a flashlight can help you see with a little bit of imagination. The three boys in the backyard treehouse at night use a flashlight to see strange paths, wild animals, and exciting adventures. I love how the illustrations have a limited palette in the "darkened" areas of the backyard, but colorful details show up in the illumination of the flashlight. This could serve as a great mentor text for creative writing and drawing - what might your own flashlight sh ...more
HueL
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-l-like
5 for plots, 4 for illustration. I loved this way how this book stimulates I give action of kids. Imagination itself, constructed in proper way, it an essential element for kids to deal with obstacles in the future, and a way for them to enjoy life more. The end of this book definitely making it great to be a bed time story too. Perhaps kids go to sleep and begin their adventure in dreams.

The texture of the illustration is a bit strange, not sure if that is the creation of the illustrator, but
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Esenwine, Matt Forrest Flashlight Night, illustrated by Fred Koehler. PICTURE BOOK. Boyds Mill Press, 2017. $17.

A trio of friends take their flashlight out into the night and use their imaginations to encounter many mysterious adventures.

What a great flip from the regular flashlight book. Usually the flashlight is used to stop a child from being scared by showing what is there vs their imaginings. This time the flashlight helps them imagine the different worlds they enter. It is a little dark, b
Storytainer
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading this title in advance during an art show featuring Fred Koehler's work. It is a great adventure with appeal for all ages. It has inspired me to plan 3 different programs for various children's groups at my library. Read and enjoy. Can't wait for my copies to arrive and be able to share with my young explorers.
Wendy Weaver
One reason this book is such an enjoyment is the illustrations and the way the illustrator uses the flashlight throughout. I love how the flashlight has the imagination showing from the characters perspective. I can just imagine how exciting this book would be for a child. SO cool! The story also has great descriptive words throughout.

Grade level: 2-4
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Nick
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 4 to 10
This book was incredible! My professor showed it off during class and I thought to myself that I should definitely go read it. The changing world that the flashlight unfolds to the characters in the book is something that I think should have been thought of sooner. I think it is ingenious. The illustrations are the real MVP in this book. It really does a good job of portraying what a child thinks when they play. I love fantasy fiction like this.
Robin
Tigers, castles, pirates, sea creatures and more fill the imagination of these young adventurers equipped with a flashlight at night. Or is it the power of the flashlight to illuminate the pages of the book they are reading? Not your ordinary bedtime story!
Lynn
This brings back my memories of summer evenings chasing friends around the yard. I could feel the cool grass, smell the night, and remember the chill of imagined monsters lurking just beyond the edge of the flashlight's edge!
Jane
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Three children use their flashlights to light up their nighttime backyard, and use their vivid imaginations to fill each corner with incredible otherworldly scenes. From a ferocious tiger to a giant squid, a swashbuckling pirate to an Egyptian god, there’s no limit to the worlds the children conjure up.

The gently rhyming text never lets the scenes become too scary or intimidating, and the characters’ bedtime adventures are eventually brought to a satisfying end.

Fred Koehler’s highly detailed ill
Viviane Elbee
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book about three kids who use their flashlight outside at night and imagine all kinds of adventures. On one side the image shows that they are in a "safe" backyard, but on the flashlight lit part of the image, you see what the kids are imagining.

Near the end of the book you see the kids huddled up reading adventure books by flashlight.

The illustrations are quite complex, so I would recommend this book for older preschoolers & elementary students.

Kids enjoyed this and voted to
Margie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It seems, perhaps due to the influence of the Great Lakes, there are more cloudy nights in Michigan than those graced by the glow of moon and stars. As the days get shorter and the nights get longer, those last walks of the day with your dog can be challenging. No matter how familiar the path, when darkness descends everything changes.

Even with your companion's acute senses at work, it is more comforting once you've clicked the switch on your flashlight. As you move it around to your left and ri
Daphne
This book is awesome. The text is poetic, and the meticulous illustrations capture perfectly the thrilling balance between fear and excitement a nighttime adventure (real or imagined) can bring. Light or dark, real or imagined, this book blurs the lines delightfully.
J
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very clever and imaginative illustrations and it’s fun to see which books the kids recognize.
Courtney
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
STUNNING illustrations, but the story was a a little boring.
Amanda Rawson Hill
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of those books that will have kids poring over the pictures to catch all the details.
  • Round
  • Sarabella's Thinking Cap
  • Rabbit Moon
  • Kitten and the Night Watchman
  • Where Oliver Fits
  • Hello Hello (Books for Preschool and Kindergarten, Poetry Books for Kids)
  • This Beautiful Day