Start by marking “The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  11,474 ratings  ·  1,327 reviews
Throughout your life, you've had parents, coaches, teachers, friends and mentors who have pushed you to be better than your excuses and bigger than your fears. What if the secret to having the confidence and courage to enrich your life and work is simply knowing how to push yourself?

Using the science of habits, riveting stories and surprising facts from some of the most f
Published February 28th 2017 by Savio Republic

·  11,474 ratings  ·  1,327 reviews

Michael Gunnulfsen
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the idea, but just watch the TED talk instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7E9....
Laureen Peltier
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I purchased this book because I was hopeful it would give me some tools to make decisions faster. Instead, The 5 Second Rule read like an elaborate advertisement. Pages and pages of testimonials of how the 5 Second Rule changed peoples lives. The reader is left to wonder how.

The idea is that we must make a decision in the first 5 seconds before our head gets too involved and the moment passes. This rule can be used to lose weight, build a business or get a relationship. The biggest issue people
Mehrsa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I should have 5-4-3-2-1 and put the book in the trash, but I didn't. I finished this stupid book that is basically a long infomercial about nothing. Just watch the TED talk. Or don't. There's not much here.
Alexander Fitzgerald
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mel Robbins book has way too many testimonials. It goes in circles. Entire sections should be cut out. And you absolutely positively must read it.

I get the idea Mel Robbins was rushed to make this book after her wildly successful Ted Talk, and it's a prime example of why nonfiction books need to slim down. There is a reason Blinkist can summarize so many of them so succinctly into five pages. You can almost hear the publisher screaming through Mel Robbins's lessons to, "pad the page count! Copy
Amy Landino
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I don't have a lot of issues getting motivated, but we all get comfortable in our own ways. I'm so motivated and it's incredible how MOVED my body feels by the simple act of counting down from 5. I'm blown away!
Amina
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a great one, its concept is very sipmle.
In this book, Mel Robbins explains the simple way of the 5 second rule and shares some stories of people who applied it and witnessed the change it brought. There's no overwhelming motivation in here, the book only makes you face yourself and and admit that the only person standing in your way is you, not your condition, not your family or society, as human beings, we have that gift to ignore what's happening around us if we want somethi
Amanda
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sorry but I can’t recommend this one. It felt overly repetitive, and the testimonials were of no interest to me. I originally gave it a three, but I’m downgrading it to 2.5 because the only thing I’ve retained is that you must make the decision to act in the first five seconds.
Josh Burgess
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, audible
I honestly can't think of a book that I have hated more than this book in quite some time. I listened to the audio version, and first off, the author is a horrible narrator. Her voice was like sandpaper to my ears. Secondly, I kept thinking of what the conversation with her publisher must have been like: "You have a good idea in this 5 second rule." Author: "Right, but that's pretty much it. It's a 1 minute explanation." Publisher: "Turn that minute into a long book and then we can sell it."

Hone
Matthew
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Power of Counting Down

Seth Godin says that he can read for a certain amount of time before "he gets the joke," or the gist of the book.

The gist of this book is counting down and acting is the key to everything. The concept is a good idea, but not worth the money paid for the book.

What's more, I purchased the book for the heck of it because there was a course on passion by the same author. I ordered it to see what the fuss was all about.

It reminds me to second guess Success magazine.

I am all
Cindy Rollins
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an odd book. I cannot even imagine the author actually writing it. It sounds like she started speaking into a recorder without much of a plan and Voila! a book. While I can see some value in the concept, it would make a nice long article, or even a short one, rather than a whole book. Nevertheless, the author is sincere and likable and the concept is helpful.
Hatem Shawkat
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audiobook, self-help
(((((((Update)))))))

Although it is so simple and sounds such a dumb but guess what ? it works like magic :D
Salma
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Such a bad book and waist of time. You want a spoiler?! Just count 5-4-3-2-1
Hanne
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
As an idea and a 'science' the 5second rule is great - but as a book it's pretty atrocious. The book spends way to much of its time trying to sell you a product that you already bought! It keeps self congratulating itself on how brilliant it is, and how many people it has helped with however many variants of things. As this is a 'self help' type book, I was expecting a fair bit of this as it comes with the territory, but here there really was just no end to it.
By the time i had gotten halfway th
Michelle
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very very repetitive, and I ended up speeding the audio to 2x for the last half. She could have given the same information in 1/10 of the time. I like the idea of the principle, it's just overly elaborated upon. I will try it out though and see if it helps with a few things, especially waking up before my kids.
Acordul Fin
Did I find her advice really useful? Not really. If I had to answer on the spot I'd say Mel Robbins comes from a good place but her suggestions are oversimplified and thinly based on science. And the book was very repetitive. But I did find her narration comforting, I consumed it in audiobook form and I had an enjoyable time listening to her talk. She feels like a genuine person and I deeply connected to her experience of suffering from crippling anxiety. Though she talked a looot about the snoo ...more
E.B. Durran
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It works if you work it... Life altering!

Mel really nailed this... I've read countless self-help and motivation books, I never would have thought something so seemingly simple would change things in my life this quickly. She's right... motivation is crap, I rarely "feel" like doing what needs done. If anyone is on the fence about picking up this book... Just buy it, you won't be disappointed!
Mel
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend the audiobook! It’s like Mel Robbins right beside you coaching you along! Can’t even tell she’s reading her book! I had read the book last year when it came out but didn’t get much out of it because my brother died about the same time. This book has been a one book intervention for my self-sabotage and procrastination. Go get the book. Don’t think about it. Don’t hesitate it. Let your new life of five second decision-making start today. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1.... Why are you st ...more
Abo Ahmad
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it

هذا كتاب سيء
لأسباب كثيرة
أولاً لأنّه مضلل، ولأنّه قائم على فكرة بسيطة جداً لا تحتاج إلى تأليف كتاب من 300 صفحة
ثانياً لأنّه يبني من فكرة بسطية قصر من هواء دون أي خطوات عملية
ثالثاً لأنّ المؤلفة تقول إنّ هذا مثبت علمياً ولم تأتِ بأي دليل علمي محترم لكلامها
==
المؤلفة رأت مشهداً على التلفاز في يوم ما لصاروخ يستعد للانطلاق بعد العد لـ 5-4-3-2-1-0
فلمعت في رأسها فكرة أنّ هذا ما تحتاجه لحل كل مشكلاتها
فإذا أرادت الالتزام بأمر ما فعليها أن تعد عكسياً قبل البدء به
وإذا أردات الانصراف عن أمر فعلت الأمر نفسه
و
Mark Speed
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The subtitle of the hardback contains the words 'surprisingly simple'. And it is. Unfortunately, this is one of those books that seeks to blow up a small and simple subject into an overwritten ATM. My gut feel is that the main problem the book addresses is that the author didn't manage to earn any revenue from her fantastic TED talk, which went viral.

I don't wish to be down on the idea itself, which is terrific. It was, as the author says, almost a throwaway comment at the end of her excellent T
Adriane Leigh
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, little repetitive, but totally motivating! Worth a reread when my mojo is dead.
Mars Dorian
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved Mel Robbins's various talks and interviews. She's an incredible presenter and storyteller, but the book is a blog article stretched into short book-form. Here's the entire content in one sentence:
if you have the impulse to act, count 5-4-3-2-1, and do it before your brain interferes.

That's it. The rest is filled with countless repetition and numerous examples of social media buddies whose lives allegedly have 'drastically' improved. I give this 3 stars because I love the speaker Mel Rob
Lindsay Nixon
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: shortcut-to-slim
If you don’t want to do something you should “like get out of bed” countdown 54321 and do it.

Summary of this book. It’s a helpful little tip and she included some interesting science that supports why it works but the rest of the book feels unnecessary or is clouded in her talking about how great she is...

if you tend to like Tony Robbins type stuff, you’ll likely enjoy this book. Otherwise try the countdown and watch a Ted Talk.
Midori
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just watch her TED talk on youtube, that will sum up all the things she said in this book. Quite a waste of a time to read this while you can just grasp what the 5 second rule is in 10 mins. Somehow the rule did work for me, but not really that life changing, as you need a bigger picture i.e. a vision before moving your butt - which is of course not in the scope of her book.
Jen
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stop what you're doing and read/listen to this book! It's a game-changer. It's paradigm-shifting. Yes, those are dramatic words, but it really is. I'm a therapist and a self-help junkie, so I've got a lot of things to compare it to. I've been using this technique and telling my clients about it - I'm just amazed at how much it's shifted for us already!

Plus, I do highly recommend the audio version because it's read by the author (I love it when books are), and she's so fantastic to listen to! No
Joline Atkins
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I witness people denying themselves the opportunity to try hard things EVERY DAY. Waiting for motivation. Waiting until the "time is right". Not feeling ready and thus not even giving something hard a try. And yet, there is a desire TO DO THE HARD THINGS. Takes 5 seconds and ACTION. While I'm not one to tell people to blindly follow their heart, I will say that human nature overthinks so many decisions - especially about moving forward in ways that would be GREAT for us . . . and we wind up talk ...more
Travis
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple solid advice. Nothing revolutionary here, more like common sense. Sometimes a person just needs to hear things out loud and that's what this book does. Basically reminds you to KISS keep it simple stupid. Act on things rather than over think them and you'll get farther in life. Doesn't get any simpler than that, although it may not be easy
Kathleen
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The concept this book describes is great: Countdown and act on what you know you need to do immediately, rather than storing it in your internal to-do list that may never get done. The book itself could've been an article -- and the author's TED talk on it does the job just as well.
Derek
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Abandoned!

The 5 Second rule is a great idea, but this book was far from it.

If you've not watched any of Mel Robbins' speaking videos (especially the TED Talk & Inside Quest interview) then you can find something halfway useful in this book. If you have, then this is nothing but an extended blogpost, mirred with repetitiveness and 'testimonials' that teach you nothing. I have watched both the videos above and came to this thinking I'd learn more into HOW the 5 second rule works, not how it
Melissa
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
YES!!! I loved this book! If you’re ready to enhance your life & dreams, this is your book. If you’re ready to live BRAVE and courageously, this is your book. If you’re ready to get the inspiration to live in a way that you find more worth and confidence in yourself, this is your book. If you’re ready to grow and challenge yourself as you grow your relationships, this is your book.
diane
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Overall I found this book to be a useful extension of the author's TEDx talk, but if you didn't read it, the talk would probably do you fine, if you watched it a couple times to internalize the ideas.

That all said, the book could have used some different/better editing. There were very obvious mistakes (repeated words, repeated sections, missing words, etc.) that were distracting. Also, rather than focus on how many people are getting value from the 5 second rule, better and more concrete examp
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 55 The 5 Second Rule 1 4 Oct 19, 2017 12:54PM
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • The Strength Switch: How the New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • The Telephone Book: Technology, Schizophrenia, Electric Speech
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation
  • Well Nourished: A Guide to Mindful Eating, Inner Nourishment and Feeding Your Whole Self
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level
  • Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building A Life-Changing Business
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • OOLA Find Balance in an Unbalanced World
  • The Power of Starting Something Stupid: How to Crush Fear, Make Dreams Happen, and Live without Regret
  • Draw to Win: A Crash Course on How to Lead, Sell, and Innovate With Your Visual Mind
  • Doing the Right Things Right: How the Effective Executive Spends Time
  • The Moment of Clarity: Using the Human Sciences to Solve Your Toughest Business Problems
  • What I Know Now about Success: Letters from Extraordinary Women to Their Younger Selves
Mel Robbins is one of the fastest rising female talk radio personalities in America and the host of A&E’s hit intervention television series – Monster In-Laws.

She’s an Ivy League educated criminal defense attorney and entrepreneur whose quick wit and fresh take on current affairs has helped her become a sought-after commentator, internationally recognized speaker, Contributing Editor to SUCCES
“You can’t control how you feel. But you can always choose how you act.” 34 likes
“Hesitation is the kiss of death. You might hesitate for a just nanosecond, but that’s all it takes. That one small hesitation triggers a mental system that’s designed to stop you. And it happens in less than—you guessed it—five seconds.” 23 likes