Start by marking “The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  20,166 ratings  ·  2,204 reviews
Throughout your life, you've had parents, coaches, teachers, friends and mentors who have pushed you to be better than your excuses and bigger than your fears. What if the secret to having the confidence and courage to enrich your life and work is simply knowing how to push yourself?

Using the science of habits, riveting stories and surprising facts from some of the most
Published February 28th 2017 by Savio Republic

·  20,166 ratings  ·  2,204 reviews

Start your review of The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
Michael Gunnulfsen
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the idea, but just watch the TED talk instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7E9.... ...more
Laureen Peltier
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I purchased this book because I was hopeful it would give me some tools to make decisions faster. Instead, The 5 Second Rule read like an elaborate advertisement. Pages and pages of testimonials of how the 5 Second Rule changed peoples lives. The reader is left to wonder how.

The idea is that we must make a decision in the first 5 seconds before our head gets too involved and the moment passes. This rule can be used to lose weight, build a business or get a relationship. The biggest issue people
Mehrsa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I should have 5-4-3-2-1 and put the book in the trash, but I didn't. I finished this stupid book that is basically a long infomercial about nothing. Just watch the TED talk. Or don't. There's not much here.
Kat Valentine
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome self help book!! Mel Robbins book the 5 Second rule is another take on getting your shit together with many testimonials and great quotes. I saw her last year on ted talks and loved her approach to changing how your brain works and it really interested me so I picked up her book from the library. It was well done and I enjoyed reading how her 5 Second rule had changed so many people's lives. I will say that I love listening to her live because it isn't just what she says, it's her delive ...more
Alexander Fitzgerald
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mel Robbins book has way too many testimonials. It goes in circles. Entire sections should be cut out. And you absolutely positively must read it.

I get the idea Mel Robbins was rushed to make this book after her wildly successful Ted Talk, and it's a prime example of why nonfiction books need to slim down. There is a reason Blinkist can summarize so many of them so succinctly into five pages. You can almost hear the publisher screaming through Mel Robbins's lessons to, "pad the page count! Copy
Amanda
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sorry but I can’t recommend this one. It felt overly repetitive, and the testimonials were of no interest to me. I originally gave it a three, but I’m downgrading it to 2.5 because the only thing I’ve retained is that you must make the decision to act in the first five seconds.
Kalyn Nicholson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
The concept is super simple making it easy to grasp and use as an actual tool with everyday life.
It also helps intercept negative thought patterns and push away the pull towards procrastination. A motivating read all-around.
Josh Burgess
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, audible
I honestly can't think of a book that I have hated more than this book in quite some time. I listened to the audio version, and first off, the author is a horrible narrator. Her voice was like sandpaper to my ears. Secondly, I kept thinking of what the conversation with her publisher must have been like: "You have a good idea in this 5 second rule." Author: "Right, but that's pretty much it. It's a 1 minute explanation." Publisher: "Turn that minute into a long book and then we can sell it."

Hone
Amy Landino
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I don't have a lot of issues getting motivated, but we all get comfortable in our own ways. I'm so motivated and it's incredible how MOVED my body feels by the simple act of counting down from 5. I'm blown away!
Amina
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a great one, its concept is very sipmle.
In this book, Mel Robbins explains the simple way of the 5 second rule and shares some stories of people who applied it and witnessed the change it brought. There's no overwhelming motivation in here, the book only makes you face yourself and and admit that the only person standing in your way is you, not your condition, not your family or society, as human beings, we have that gift to ignore what's happening around us if we want somethi
Salma
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Such a bad book and waist of time. You want a spoiler?! Just count 5-4-3-2-1
Cindy Rollins
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an odd book. I cannot even imagine the author actually writing it. It sounds like she started speaking into a recorder without much of a plan and Voila! a book. While I can see some value in the concept, it would make a nice long article, or even a short one, rather than a whole book. Nevertheless, the author is sincere and likable and the concept is helpful.
Taher Al Kiyumi
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Some of the notes I gathered from this book :

The 5 second rule :
As stupid it sounds as great is it works.
Count backwards from 5 to 1 and do it.

5 seconds that could change your life by changing and making the decisions that matter without hesitation or fear.

Your fear what stops you from not doing what you want.
You validite your idea by doing it.
It takes courage to change a behaviour.

Yourself have the priority over others, so stop doing others’ work instead of doing yours.

Take a break from work
Matthew
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Power of Counting Down

Seth Godin says that he can read for a certain amount of time before "he gets the joke," or the gist of the book.

The gist of this book is counting down and acting is the key to everything. The concept is a good idea, but not worth the money paid for the book.

What's more, I purchased the book for the heck of it because there was a course on passion by the same author. I ordered it to see what the fuss was all about.

It reminds me to second guess Success magazine.

I am all
Hatem Shawkat
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audiobook, self-help
(((((((Update)))))))

Although it is so simple and sounds such a dumb but guess what ? it works like magic :D
Hanne
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
As an idea and a 'science' the 5second rule is great - but as a book it's pretty atrocious. The book spends way to much of its time trying to sell you a product that you already bought! It keeps self congratulating itself on how brilliant it is, and how many people it has helped with however many variants of things. As this is a 'self help' type book, I was expecting a fair bit of this as it comes with the territory, but here there really was just no end to it.
By the time i had gotten halfway th
Acordul Fin
Did I find her advice really useful? Not really. If I had to answer on the spot I'd say Mel Robbins comes from a good place but her suggestions are oversimplified and thinly based on science. And the book was very repetitive. But I did find her narration comforting, I consumed it in audiobook form and I had an enjoyable time listening to her talk. She feels like a genuine person and I deeply connected to her experience of suffering from crippling anxiety. Though she talked a looot about the snoo ...more
Michelle
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very very repetitive, and I ended up speeding the audio to 2x for the last half. She could have given the same information in 1/10 of the time. I like the idea of the principle, it's just overly elaborated upon. I will try it out though and see if it helps with a few things, especially waking up before my kids.
E.B. Durran
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It works if you work it... Life altering!

Mel really nailed this... I've read countless self-help and motivation books, I never would have thought something so seemingly simple would change things in my life this quickly. She's right... motivation is crap, I rarely "feel" like doing what needs done. If anyone is on the fence about picking up this book... Just buy it, you won't be disappointed!
Mel
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend the audiobook! It’s like Mel Robbins right beside you coaching you along! Can’t even tell she’s reading her book! I had read the book last year when it came out but didn’t get much out of it because my brother died about the same time. This book has been a one book intervention for my self-sabotage and procrastination. Go get the book. Don’t think about it. Don’t hesitate it. Let your new life of five second decision-making start today. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1.... Why are you st ...more
Mark Speed
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The subtitle of the hardback contains the words 'surprisingly simple'. And it is. Unfortunately, this is one of those books that seeks to blow up a small and simple subject into an overwritten ATM. My gut feel is that the main problem the book addresses is that the author didn't manage to earn any revenue from her fantastic TED talk, which went viral.

I don't wish to be down on the idea itself, which is terrific. It was, as the author says, almost a throwaway comment at the end of her excellent T
Adriane Leigh
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, little repetitive, but totally motivating! Worth a reread when my mojo is dead.
Jen
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stop what you're doing and read/listen to this book! It's a game-changer. It's paradigm-shifting. Yes, those are dramatic words, but it really is. I'm a therapist and a self-help junkie, so I've got a lot of things to compare it to. I've been using this technique and telling my clients about it - I'm just amazed at how much it's shifted for us already!

Plus, I do highly recommend the audio version because it's read by the author (I love it when books are), and she's so fantastic to listen to! No
Alex Turner
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t read the whole thing, skim read it- got the jist after two minutes and put it into action.

Then over the days that followed ending up reading the whole thing because the five second rule is weirdly and immediately effective.

I use it to wake up on time, at this moment in my life I am sleeping later than usual which affects my morning routine which starts at 4, if I feel sleepy I tend to skip my morning meditation which is an hour in duration. Since applying the 5 second rule I am up and
Travis
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple solid advice. Nothing revolutionary here, more like common sense. Sometimes a person just needs to hear things out loud and that's what this book does. Basically reminds you to KISS keep it simple stupid. Act on things rather than over think them and you'll get farther in life. Doesn't get any simpler than that, although it may not be easy
Midori
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just watch her TED talk on youtube, that will sum up all the things she said in this book. Quite a waste of a time to read this while you can just grasp what the 5 second rule is in 10 mins. Somehow the rule did work for me, but not really that life changing, as you need a bigger picture i.e. a vision before moving your butt - which is of course not in the scope of her book.
Lumière ✨
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychologie
i've learned so much from this book.
It's about how to stop your brain and start moving and pushing yourself by the Rule of 5 second which can beat the brain’s operating system to help you win the battle with resistance in the moment.
Joline Atkins
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I witness people denying themselves the opportunity to try hard things EVERY DAY. Waiting for motivation. Waiting until the "time is right". Not feeling ready and thus not even giving something hard a try. And yet, there is a desire TO DO THE HARD THINGS. Takes 5 seconds and ACTION. While I'm not one to tell people to blindly follow their heart, I will say that human nature overthinks so many decisions - especially about moving forward in ways that would be GREAT for us . . . and we wind up talk ...more
Mars Dorian
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved Mel Robbins's various talks and interviews. She's an incredible presenter and storyteller, but the book is a blog article stretched into short book-form. Here's the entire content in one sentence:
if you have the impulse to act, count 5-4-3-2-1, and do it before your brain interferes.

That's it. The rest is filled with countless repetition and numerous examples of social media buddies whose lives allegedly have 'drastically' improved. I give this 3 stars because I love the speaker Mel Rob
Lindsay Nixon
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
If you don’t want to do something you should “like get out of bed” countdown 54321 and do it.

Summary of this book. It’s a helpful little tip and she included some interesting science that supports why it works but the rest of the book feels unnecessary or is clouded in her talking about how great she is...

if you tend to like Tony Robbins type stuff, you’ll likely enjoy this book. Otherwise try the countdown and watch a Ted Talk.
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 55 The 5 Second Rule 1 4 Oct 19, 2017 12:54PM

• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building A Life-Changing Business
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Mel Robbins is an Ivy League educated criminal defense attorney and entrepreneur whose quick wit and fresh take on current affairs has helped her become a sought-after commentator, internationally recognized speaker, Contributing Editor to SUCCESS Magazine, best-selling author, relationship expert and Common Sense Activist.

Her advice and fiery opinion have been seen by tens of millions of viewers

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“You can’t control how you feel. But you can always choose how you act.” 49 likes
“You Are One Decision Away from a Completely Different Life” 32 likes