Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book

Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  10,345 ratings  ·  1,702 reviews
An original addition to the beloved Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, Lost in a Book follows the lonely, bookish Belle as she finds an enchanted book in the Beast’s library called Nevermore that carries her into a glittering new world. There, Belle is befriended by a mysterious countess who offers her the life she’s always dreamed of.

But Nevermore is not what it seems, and the more time B
Published January 31st 2017 by Paper Rocket

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Beast, please sign up.
Ashley Beery I don't remember any swearing, it might be a little bit scary at times but if she knows the story of beauty and the beast then she should be fine. The…moreI don't remember any swearing, it might be a little bit scary at times but if she knows the story of beauty and the beast then she should be fine. The theme of Death is there as Death herself is a big player in this book and she talks about taking lives etc, which may be a bit much for a 9 year old depending on that child. (less)
Omar No, I wouldn't.
No, I wouldn't.
If you wanna read it, go ahead, but I think it completely misses the point, the very heart, of the story and the movie. It's one giant distraction and a pothole, if you ask me. (less)

·  10,345 ratings  ·  1,702 reviews

Start your review of Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
Mischenko
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

This review may contain spoilers...

Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book is comparable to the classic Beauty and the Beast, yet so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction which was so unique. It pulled me right in with the interaction between Love and Death-so intriguing. It's no surprise that Death would cheat, but who will win?

The story starts with Belle in Beast's castle after she's been imprisoned. Beloved Belle and her love for books begins the journey into Nevermore which is so imaginaspoilers...
Beautywww.readrantrockandroll.com
This
AMEERA
3.75
This book mix between Beauty and the Beast and Alice in wonderland
Misty
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this book but I just couldn't. It was enjoyable at times though. The book starts off when the Beast shows Belle the library. Love and Death have been watching the Beast and Belle and made a wager with each other. Death, of course, tries to cheat and almost succeeds. Nevermore, the enchanted book is appealing to Belle so much so that she is willing to stay within its pages forever. When Belle finally realizes the truth about the book, it seems like she might get lost in it ...more
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
Oh.... Oh my gosh.

Astonishing! This has got to be the best retelling I have EVER read. I am in tears.
This book was phenomenal! All retellings I have ever read tend to plat close to the chest and not change very much... or change it all together so the original gets lost.
But... Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book totally changed AND challenged them all. It's a one of a kind!

I will say this, I pre-ordered it the SECOND I knew about it. Being a fanatic of Beauty and the Beast there is no possible way I could
Tanya Tate
4.5 Stars!

Oh goodness! This book was so good!

Everything from the plot, to seeing Belle, the Beast, and the gang back in action and more fleshed out than their animated movie counterparts.

This is pretty much a tie-in for the upcoming live action movie that can placed when the Beast show and give Belle the library. So it takes place a little after their initial meeting,her going to the west wing thus leaving and him saving her from the wolves. Just think of Belle's Enchant
Pamela
"Mirrors only show us what we are. Books show us what we can be."

Fun . . . Fun . . . Fun! Glorious, imaginative fun!

This enchanted tale (a story within THE story) was indeed a delight. Belle became "Lost in a Book", as did I. And oh what a mesmorizing journey, with Belle and Beast, and the usual Disney cast: Chip, Mrs. Potts, Lumiere, Cogsworth . . . and some new characters too, like the spellbinding sisters: Love and Death.

"Sometimes words alone were not enough, because they spoke only t
Lula McCuela
When I finished this book and got on here to rate it, I honestly wasn't expecting to see all of these glowing reviews. I was surprised at how many people seemed to sincerely like this book!

Maybe I'm just being overly critical, (with the movie being released soon and all) but I can't say that I enjoyed this book. To me at least, Belle was a pretty flat character, and I couldn't relate to her at all. I didn't feel any suspense during the parts that were supposed to be exciting, and I didn't feel
Amy Leigh
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for fairy tale fans. It is enchanting and beautifully written. There are twists and turns, suspense, friendship and journeys. I can't thank the author enough for bringing new pieces and answers to the tale of Beauty and the Beast.
Karen Whittard
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm doing the reading challenge this year and this book is perfect for the category a story within a story.

I absolutely love everything Disney. So how could I resist a new Disney Beauty and the Beast inspired book.

This is has been one that I have wanted to read for a while now. So I am extremely happy to finally have it in my hands and to have read it.

I am also pleased to say that it is a really good book. Unlike the other Disney books where the characters name are not used. Which is highl
Kelrond
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to start with nostalgia.

My first princess was, admittedly, Aurora. She was followed by Cinderella and Snow White. In the 1980s, there were only those three until Ariel graced the screens in 1989. Finally, Belle arrived in a swirl of yellow skirts in 1991.

Belle was me. Brown hair, green eyes. She loved books. She fell in love with Beast for who he was. Maybe the library helped.

And here we learn a little more about the library, and a lot more about Belle.
MissBecka
If Lewis Carroll & Cassandra Clare wrote a book together and then dropped said book into the middle of Disney's Beauty & the Beast; I imagine this might be what came of that collaboration.
Had this been an alternate universe kind of thing where a new ending was possible it might have been more interesting for me. As it were this is just an adventure inserted into the middle of the Disney movie. It didn't work for me.
Jessica
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disney, fantasy, favorites
I absolutely loved this book!

I thought the story fit very well into the movie's timeline. It also did a nice job of briefly going over some of the things that happened in the movie in case you haven't seen it yet.

I loved the whole idea of Belle getting lost in an enchanted book. I loved all the things Belle's said about how she felt about reading.

Overall, this book was just so perfect.

Also, the cover is just so gorgeous.
Bonnie
“Isn’t that what a good story does? It pulls you in and never lets you go.”

DAMMIT, I WANTED THIS STORY TO PULL ME IN AND NEVER LET ME GO.

Lost in a Book replicates its Disney counterpart where Belle is a captive of the Beast in his castle that still includes Cogsworth, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Chip, and more. Beast reveals his library to Belle and she is awed, but instead of the bright shiny room of perfection we all have embedded in our minds:

“Isn’t that what a good story does? It pulls you in and never lets you go.”

DAMMIT, I WANTED THIS STORY TO PULL ME IN AND NEVER LET ME GO.

Belle immediately realizes how much the library has fallen into disrepair and needs to be cleaned excessively. Within this library, she finds a room and within this room a special book which transports her to a world of adventure where anything is possible. She quickly becomes enamored with the book and the world it shows her, despite her understanding that it isn’t actually real, and is constantly sneaking away to be in this world. When she isn’t hiding in the book, she’s complaining ad nauseam about her provincial life.

Good gawd, we get it, you hate your life. Lost in a Book quickly becomes less about the Beast and all about Belle… more scenes from his point of view would have been welcome. Any scenes that showed the Beast’s feelings for Belle grow felt lacking any sort of emotion and instead felt like all it was was a last ditch effort to save his servants. Maybe those parts were left out with the understanding that we knew, based on the Disney production, how Beast actually felt, but I wanted to see it included in the story itself since there were so many changes I felt it should have been able to stand on its own. Especially in regards to the villain: Gaston was absent completely in exchange for a female villain: Death. Yes, Death. You see, the story actually starts with Death and her sister Love.

Indeed. See Death and Love made a bet that Belle wouldn’t be the one to break the spell (Death obviously bet against her) and when she began to realize that Love might actually win, she set out to make sure that didn’t happen. *yawn* This could have been a charming addition to Beauty and the Beast retellings but the story lacked any real substance and most definitely lacked the magic the original tale had.
Sophie Crane
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up as I had seen it often, and wondered how it would put a twist on Disney's version. Beauty and the Beast was always my favourite animation, and this narrative fits in nicely with the core story. Although, I don't think Belle would have acted as she did in this story at times, it was still a nice, quick read. It would appeal to any age, and plays with the idea of 'getting lost in a book'. Definitely one for bookworms! And, of course, fans of the films.
Kerri
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a real love of Belle, she was always one of my favourite Disney Princesses, especially because of her love of books. I think this novel portrayed her well, she's strong and interesting and this was a fun story to read.
J
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute. I really enjoyed this book. So similar to the original story and yet so different. Really original.
Brooke
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 rating!

"Isn't that what a good story does? It pulls you in and never lets you go."

This was so lovely! I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Donnelly and I'm shocked I didn't pick this up sooner.

As with many people, Beauty and the Beast holds such a special place in my heart and Donnelly did a fantastic job writing this and creating an original story within the timeline of the classic. It really is a tale as old as time and these characters I will cherish and love forever.

Cogsw
Jay G
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

3.5/5 Stars

Belle has been imprisoned in the Beasts' tower after she switches places with her father. The Beast, wanting her to be happy, gives her his library. One day, while exploring she discovers a strange book called 'Nevermore'. She quickly realizes that she can travel into the pages of Nevermore and live a fairytale life there. But, as Belle spends more time in this strange new world, she doesn't know who she
mills♥

This book was enchanting. It pulled me in and made me invested in the story.

This would have been 4 stars if it weren't for one thing. I thought that the first 250 pages were k
Mirta (secretlifeofapotterheadgirl)
This book is nice but I found Belle character totally out of character!
She’s always been my favourite Disney princess but in this book I can’t stand her, she was so annoying and stupid!
The Belle we all know is totally more intelligent and wiser than Belle of this book! She would got that the Countess was Death in half a second
Cindy
I have mentioned multiple times that I absolutely adore Beauty and the Beast. It is my favorite Disney movie. A beautiful dance scene, a strong female lead who loves to read, and quirky characters were everything I could ask for and much more. For the past several months, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the upcoming Beauty and the Beast live action movie. In anticipation of the upcoming movie, Disney has released an original story that involves all our favorite Disney characters.

Los
Ashley
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were things that I found to be problematic with this book. One of the characters, Love is a woman of color which is amazing and I loved seeing that in a middle-grade retelling. What I didn't like and what I had issues with, is how Love is described by her sister, Death. Death describes Love as "a ferocious, sweet-faced little savage" (pg. 9). Love is also described as a madwoman and deranged (pg. 84). I really loved Love as a character, and she followed one of the main themes that nothing ...more
Katie
I really wanted to love this more than I did. And it wasn't a bad book, I just didn't particularly care for it.

Lost in a Book is sort of a side story in the Beauty and the Beast story (like from the 2017 movie specifically) kind of in an AU. In this book, two sisters, Love and Death, have a wager on whether or not Belle will love the Beast and break the curse and Death decides that she isn't going to play fair, so she tries to lure Belle away by getting trapped in a book.

The more I listened, t
Esther
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I'm a huge Disney fan and Belle and the Beast is one of my favorites. I've recently been to the movie and I think Emma Watson was great for the role. The story is magical and I love the fact that there is book-love in the book as well as in the movie.
This story actually revolves around the fairy tale but takes a side-road, when Belle finds a book called Nevermore...

A long
A longer review can be found at Bite Into books

If you love Disney, fairytales and retellings this is a book for you. It reads pretty quickly and you won't be disappointed if you like Beauty and the Beast. This book actually has the great addition of the sisters Love and Death. All your favorite characters are present in this book. Just put on your dress or suit, twirl around a bit and start reading this book!
Nicole Alycia
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute little story about things that happened while Belle was still a "prisoner" in the Beast's castle.
She finds a book that allows her to enter the story herself and live it out like it was really happening. Little does she know that she's now tied up in the games of others and the outcome may not be totally in her control.
Overall, I liked the book. Like I said, it was cute and fun and it was nice to see all these characters out of their normal story. I wasn't a huge fan of the way
✧Hessa✧

“Belle, it’s a wonderful thing to read about other people’s lives, but it’s important to live your own life, too—no matter how challenging that life may sometimes be”

This was a beauty and the beast retelling with other element from other stories too like Alice in wonderland and Cinderella . the story begin when the beast gives belle the library as a gift , being a book lover belle spent a lot of time there she discovers an enchanted book that opens a portal into the Nevermore world which transports her to
Ralph
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donnelly hooked me big-time with Revolution (still one of the most powerful books I have ever read), and I have hung with her as she has bounced from one genre to another ever since. I read somewhere that she wanted to write for her own middle-grade daughter and her friends, which I think explains her plunge into the Disneyverse in the last few years.

I just finished "Lost in a Book," and like the Waterfire Saga, her last Disney project, she brings a level of depth and nuance that's rarely (if e
Tanja Berg
My first encounter with this Stockholm syndrome love story was of course Disney. Then I read a fairly old version of the original fairy tale in which, I think, the servants were invisible. I might have read yet another version later, I can't recall. This particular book is a snippet from the original story, very much based on Disney. The characters are all cardboard and boring, there is far more telling than showing.

I picked it up because I read the first few pages, which were really
Andrea
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2019-read
3.5/5

I enjoyed this retelling. I loved the whole aspect of Death and Love having a bargain about how Belle's story will end. I loved the twist at the halfway-end point with Death trying to lure Belle away to Nevermore. It really captured my attention at the end.

The beginning of this is pretty much the same story we've heard countless times. Which is fine. I didn't have any issues, but it also didn't draw me in. Once Death started trying to manipulate Belle into losing the wager is w

• Beauty and the Beast Novelization
  • As Old As Time
  • Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Library: A Collection of Literary Quotes and Inspirational Musings
  • A Whole New World
  • Once Upon a Dream
  • The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince (Villains, #2)
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novelization
  • Part of Your World
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • Rise of the Isle of the Lost (Descendants #3)
  • Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch
  • Mistress of All Evil: A Tale of the Dark Fairy (Villains #4)
  • Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel
  • Aladdin: Far from Agrabah
  • Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch
  • Escape from the Isle of the Lost (Descendant, #4)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Reflection
Jennifer Donnelly is the author of twelve novels -Stepsister, Lost in a Book, These Shallow Graves, Sea Spell, Dark Tide, Rogue Wave, Deep Blue, Revolution, A Northern Light, The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and The Wild Rose - and Humble Pie, a picture book for children. She is a co-author of Fatal Throne, which explores the lives of King Henry VIII's six wives, for which she wrote the part of Anna of Cleves, Henry's fourth ...more
“Reading became my sanctuary,” Belle continued. “I found so much in those books. I found histories that inspired me. Poems that delighted me. Novels that challenged me…” Belle paused, suddenly self-conscious. She looked down at her hands, and in a wistful voice, said, “What I really found, though, was myself.” 43 likes
“Isn't that what a good story does? It pulls you in and never lets you go.” 40 likes