Start by marking “The Tiger’s Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tiger’s Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)

The Tiger’s Daughter

(Their Bright Ascendency #1)

Even gods can be slain….

The Hokkaran empire has conquered every land within their bold reach―but failed to notice a lurking darkness festering within the people. Now, their border walls begin to crumble, and villages fall to demons swarming out of the forests.

Away on the silver steppes, the remaining tribes of nomadic Qorin retreat and protect their own, havi
Published October 3rd 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger’s Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger’s Daughter

Start your review of The Tiger’s Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
Laurelinvanyar
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this review: I wanted to love this book. I wanted to see well developed Asian lesbians that has been my dream for so long. To see queer representation that looks like me. I was so excited to read the first four chapters released early by Tor.

And I cannot express how absolutely disappointed and disgusted I am at this singular example of everything it is to experience racism as a Japanese woman.

"The shorter one—who was squat and had only one braid—only snorted. I don’t know why. “
Victoria Schwab
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My official blurb: "A love letter to my favorite kind of fantasy―rich, expansive, and grounded in human truth. It is a story of star-crossed loves, of fate and power and passion, and it is simply exquisite."
Cesar
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

*sigh* Here we go. This should be fun.

The Tiger's Daughter caught my interest when I first heard about it from other reviewers and from Twitter. Not only did it have such a beautiful cover, but it took place in an East Asian inspired world. Combine that with promises of demon slaying and you would think this would be a good book, right?

Wrong.

Short review: The Tiger's Daughter is an epic fantasy romance story of two warriors killing demons falling in love.

Long Review: There was so much potential for the Tiger's Daughter to be a great fantasy book. Whenfun.
The
Samantha
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2017, sff
4.5 stars!
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
DNFing at 43%

Me with my kindle at the prospect of returning to this book:

I had such high hopes for this, and hate to report that I'm let down.

A Fantasy novel inspired by Japanese and Mongolian Cultures with a F/F romance. On the surface, that sounds amazing, but I find the execution sorely lacking. Much of the plot is waylaid by repeated infodumps of the author's world-building notes in the place of actually telling a story.

Better fanta43%
Me
Simona Bartolotta
Sloppy (on my part because, well, DNF) buddy read with Elise. She will vouch for my initial enthusiasm and the disappointment that followed, and she will forgive me for being so untrustworthy.

DNF 45%

1.5

First of all, let me tell you I am absolutely broken-hearted to have to rate The Tiger's Daughter two stars. To be honest, hadn't I been so hopeful and excited for this book, I think I would have rated it even one star, and you know I am no sentimental, so just think how bitter must I be now if/>DNF
Eliza
I received an ARC off of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. This does not persuade my actual opinion of the novel.

1 Star.
DNF @ 29%

You know, I don't even know where to start with this review. I don't have much to say. Nor do I feel like reviewing this. It's quite a shame, because I've had this book on my TBR list for months. So when I was approved to receive an ARC, it was pretty magnificent and close to a "dream-come-true" (I'm exaggerating here). But then, within the first and second c/>DNF/>1
Frankie Lovely
Well .....

so .....

I JUST GOT AN ARC FOR THIS BOOK AND I CANT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT ;)

Because this sounds ah-ma-zing!

Also ... girls kissing? I'm SO in!

One of my most anticipated reads of 2017 just got a lot closer <3
Acqua
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of slow-paced fantasy romance
The Tiger's Daughter is an f/f adult fantasy story that follows two warrior princesses. f/f adult fantasy isn't as common as it should be, so this was one of my most anticipated books for the second half of this year. Most reviews I've read weren't good, but I really liked this.

I think it's really important to get into this book with the right expectations. It's a tome (500+ pages) and it's told through letters. It's slow, really slow. And if you're expecting an epic fantasy adventure that just happens to h/>I
Kaitlin
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
Okay, it's really long overdue for me to read this as it was a book I was highly anticipating last year, and some how I just didn't find the time to read it. I am super happy that I made time recently, because this is one of my new absolute favourite reads, and I am now SO excited for the sequel.

This is a Mongol-inspired fantasy setting with an Empress of the Hokkaran and an heir to the Quorin at the centre of the story. They are childhood best friends (their mothers were best friend
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)

The most valuable member of the clan is the person who tells the best stories around the fire.

Frankly, anything blurbed by V.E. Schwab I expect to love. Alas, this was not the best story told around the fire, albeit showing immense potential.

Mid-book, I feared I was going to end up rating one of my most anticipated releases less than 2 stars. The first half lulled me to sleep, resulting in a lot of skimming. The second half was distinctly better, the last 100 or so pages inte/>
Roshani Chokshi
I was lucky enough to blurb this amazing debut. Here's what I said. I stand by it 1000%:

"A layered and mesmerizing tale of love and legends, this fierce story will settle in your bones like a chill and leave your heart aching."
Dannii Elle
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The synopsis reads: "This is the story of an infamous Qorin warrior, Barsalayaa Shefali, a spoiled divine warrior empress, O-Shizuka, and a power that can reach through time and space to save a land from a truly insidious evil." But this is also a story about so much more than that.

The Empress is an isolated and much feared individual, but as she reads through the written history of her own past, we get to view the person she was and how she altered into the person she became. Her childhoo
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
i got an arc of this and i feel so content with life.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
7/16/2017: I hate kindle reading and got ditched by my BR partner (you know I love you, Simona) so this has gone on hold. I'M REALLY SORRY. But it's kind of incredibly boring and I'm in a reading slump?? and I don't want to push myself through a book I was so, so excited for.

A couple notes for myself: (view spoiler)

4/26/2017: guess who got an arc. guess

3/2/2017: Okay so the premise of this sounds amazing, there are girls kissing, and VE Sc/>/>
Maraia
This is a hard book to review. It was one of my most highly anticipated books of the year, but it left me feeling mostly disappointed.

The good:
- A fantasy setting that isn't European-inspired.
- The main characters are both lesbians, as are some secondary characters.
- It's sex positive.
- The fiercest warriors in the book are all women!
- I was invested in the story and characters.

The bad:
- This is a personal preference, but the story is told mostly
Aentee
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this from the grave bc this book slayed me. Full review to come closer to the release date but needless to say: add it to your TBR immediately.
Angharad (Two Book Thieves)
RTC but this book is my everything right now.

Okay I'm going to do this in a bullet list form because my thoughts are not coherent and never will be because I loved this book so much. I got accepted for it on Netgalley but am making it my mission in life to find it in physical ARC form.

+ LGBTQIA COUPLE ARE THE MAIN FOCUS OF THIS ENTIRE NOVEL! The love between Shefali and Shizuka was literally destined since the moment they were born. Yes, Shizuka's first reaction to Shefali wasn't exactly rom
Sana
Since people keep liking this occasionally, I want to confirm that this book does indeed have 'queer protagonists who are unashamed to love in the spotlight.'

-----

Really hope that 'two women whose love for each other is big enough to slay demons' is a mild way of putting 'a lesbian couple pairing up to slay all the demons in periodic fits of glorious rage' because Y E S.

P.S. Kind of done with titles containing '[Random word]'s Daughter' in them, though.
Erin
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, series
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Well, it took me nearly three months to complete this brand new fantasy series. I came close to DNF'ing a number of times. Personally, it was the perspective from which the story was told. Relating a story in which one character is reviewing for another, all that has happened when the latter was actually there for those events, was a bit strange. It felt very similar to reading a prequel which fills in all the little h
Mpauli
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
In The Tiger's Daughter we're following the love story of Shizuka, a Hokkaran princess and Shefali, A Quorin chieftain's daughter.

The story is divided into two narrative time lines. Shizuka is empress in the present timeline. She receives a very long letter from Shefali, in which shefali details the story of them from meeting as children, going on adventures together and falling in love.
The present timeline only takes up about 5% of the book and gives us short breaks from Shefa
Helen
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Let’s start at the beginning shall we? The disappointment started on the first page when I realised I would have to suffer through a present tense narrative. Present tense just seems so wrong in a novel and I never got used to its use here. The narrative is split between the perspective of Shizuka, using the present-tense, and Shefali, whose narration comes via a letter she wrote to Shizuka which recounts their childhood together. The latter is by far the biggest section and provided for some ve ...more
Alice
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-thanks, reviewed
Now that I’ve actually read some of it I can DNF this thing in peace.

The worldbuilding doesn’t make sense the only thing I can say is 100% true is that 8 times 4 is 32 (an actual statement in this book). I want to go in depth about this but I don’t want to look back at this book.

Tbh this is just boring and the letter format doesn’t work in this books favor because Shefali puts her girl on such a pedestal it got annoying and Shizuka ain’t shit. Not to mention Shefali is half Hokkaran (flaxen ha
Sh3lly
Digital copy provided by Netgalley and publisher to read and review. Released on October 3, 2017.
Gergana
Oct 28, 2018 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
So....borrrrrrred...zzzzzzzz. Gave up after 1.5 chapters. And I spent money on it!! Not even that made me persevere.

Likes
-Cool cover!
-.... Cover is super pretty?

Dislikes:
-Writing style - in the form of a letter, a very loooooooong letter where the two heroines recall their "adventures". Spoilers - they both survive and win, so nothing to excite me or make me cheer for them. Why would you write such a long letter describing events to a person who was already part of these events to begin/>
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I went into The Tiger's Daughter with extremely high expectations and I am so happy that I was not let down at all! This book was enchanting and utterly mesmerizing. The combination of the rich fantasy, alluring romance, and heart-stopping action made for one addicting novel.

The fantasy world the author created in this book was so lush and well developed. I loved how many unique elements were present in this fantasy world. There was magic, healers, monster, and so much more. This book slowly introduced the fanta
Lindsay
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting book from several angles. Firstly, nearly the whole thing is written in the second person, as a book-length letter from one main character to the other relating their shared history from one of the character's perspective. (More on that below). Secondly, because the book has issues with cultural appropriation. It's an Asian-inspired setting with a romance between two women. The author is a lesbian, but clearly not Asian, and has inspired criticism from reviewers more familiar with th ...more
Rina
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a history teacher, I totally dig the Mongolian Empire. So I was beyond geeked when I received an ARC of The Tiger's Daughter from Netgalley. The description of the book gave me the impression that the plot was about Mongolian Warrior princesses fighting demons along the border of the Great Wall of China. Unfortunately, the book focused on a very slow developing forbidden lesbian relationship between two young girls near the steppes of somewhere that sounds Asian. Seventy five percent of this ...more
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
”Do you remember the first time we met, Shizuka, or has that long faded from your memory? It is my favourite story in all the world to tell.”

This is: a) so strongly romantic and b) the most beautiful cover I’ve ever seen

Edit: The cover artist is Jaime Jones and their work is so freaking i n c r e d i b l e. Would so reccomend taking a look at their website link: here

Now, there are many people who would love this story. There are also many people who would not. The Tiger’s Daughter i/>
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
― K. Arsenault Rivera

….and strangely, this book resonates only for its beautiful prose in which it has been written. Hardly would I call it an epic fantasy, rather an attempt at creating a world with such aspirations that failed to follow through.

Set in an Asian inspired Em

• Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Raven Tower
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
  • Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha, #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
Puerto Rico born and New York raised, K is a lifelong fan of all things nerdy. She drew on her love of tabletop gaming for her debut novel, THE TIGER'S DAUGHTER. An out and proud queer, she lives in Brooklyn with her partner.

Their Bright Ascendency (3 books)
  • The Phoenix Empress (Their Bright Ascendency, #2)
  • The Warrior Moon
“Children remember who showed them kindness when the world tried to make them cruel.” 7 likes
“A strange thing happens when one speaks aloud: words take on their own meaning. They move in through the listener's ears and make themselves at home, decorating their meaning with whatever memories they find lying around.” 4 likes