Start by marking “Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India” as Want to Read:
Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India

Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India

Inglorious Empire tells the real story of the British in India from the arrival of the East India Company to the end of the Raj and reveals how Britains rise was built upon its plunder of India.

In the eighteenth century, Indias share of the world economy was as large as Europes. By 1947, after two centuries of British rule, it had decreased six-fold. Beyond conquest and
Published March 2nd 2017 by C Hurst & Co (first published October 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Inglorious Empire, please sign up.
Pranav "The British did a lot of good in India and in their empire, as well as a lot of evil."

I find your ignorance on this topic embarrassing. Especially…more

I find your ignorance on this topic embarrassing. Especially since you claim to be Indian. If you had read the book you would know every "good" that apologists of the Empire claim in India, the intention behind was control and exploitation. Destruction of the traditional education was systematic in it's attempt to create a more servile class of indians.(less)
Vishal Kale Completely factual. For proof, refer the Bibliography, several of the books listed there have been reviewed on my blog reflectionsvvk on blogspot.…moreCompletely factual. For proof, refer the Bibliography, several of the books listed there have been reviewed on my blog reflectionsvvk on blogspot. There is extensive evidence available in the form of period documents, which has been referenced by the authors of all these books(less)

Start your review of Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India
Raghu
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 1995, I was travelling in Tierra del Fuego where I chanced to meet a middle-aged Canadian in a coffee shop. He too, like me, was travelling in South America and we ended up chatting about colonialism. It was then that he made the following astounding statement: "...you know, of all the European countries that colonized the world - France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands and Britain - it was only the English who did so with the aim to modernize and develop those backward nations. The rest ...more
Trevor
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, economics
While I was reading this book, I kept thinking that one of the things people on the left could reasonably do is just make up stuff about the extent of murderousness that colonisation has involved. The reason being that it is highly unlikely anyone on the left would have the imagination to think up the horrors that were actually inflicted upon the world by the imperial ambitions of Britain or Spain or the costs to indigenous peoples in the US or Australia. This book documents horrors upon ...more
Paul
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are still far too many people in Britain who look back fondly on Empire and who have very little grasp of the real history of Empire. Not understanding your own history leads to delusions and in this country xenophobia and racism.
This is essentially an extended polemical essay based on Tharoors speech to the Oxford Union in 2015. He essentially looks at the pros and cons of British rule and addresses the alleged benefits of the Raj. There arent any new arguments, its more a condensation
Murtaza
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm generally sympathetic to the argument that colonialism is over and done with and there's no need to keep grievance mongering over past events. But a raft of recent nostalgic scholarship by Niall Ferguson and others has unfortunately brought the issue of British colonialism in India up for debate once again. Shashi Tharoor gave a well received speech on the impact of the colonial project on India at Oxford a few years back, and this book is an attempt to capture the spirit of that speech in ...more
Vikalp Trivedi
What is history for most of the Indians?
A subject which they have to mug up till tenth standard to get marks and if in future any person who is preparing for any public service examinations has to memorise certain events of history in order to pass out the general studies paper . Nobody gives a damm about studying history we just memorise it and then forget.

How do they teach us history ?
I was a student of a state board school (Madhya Pradesh Board), we had a book from sixth standard to tenth
Arun Divakar
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One quote in particular by a member of the British aristocracy sums up what Tharoor speaks eloquently in book length :

The Marquess of Salisbury, using a colourful metaphor as Secretary of State for India in the 1860s and 1870s, said: As India is to be bled, the lancet should be directed to those parts where the blood is congested [rather than] to those which are already feeble for the want of it.

As a child growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, I was told that the Britishers were the
A Man Called Ove
There is a much-touted phrase "Truth lies somewhere in d middle." Does it always ?
I was reading Savarkar's famous book on 1857 mutiny and gave it up after reading 50 pages as it felt one-sided bitter criticism of d British. Surely, Lawrence James, Niall Ferguson couldnt be that wrong. Surely, the British rule had a lot of benefits ?
I too believed in d "middle" 2-3 yrs ago until I read a few stats and Amitav Ghosh's description of Opium farming and trade in India.
Shashi Tharoor, building on his
David M
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Among other things, this book contains the most passionate defense of the game of cricket I've ever encountered. Here Tharoor grants there were some beneficial effects of empire, albeit with a dialectical twist. What started out as a pretty straightforward case of western cultural imperialism turned into the negation of the negation as Indians developed their own athletic mastery...

The great Ukrainian famine of the late twenties and early thirties is usually seen as proof that communism is
Inderjit Sanghera
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tharoor is an excellent orator; well-spoken, warm and articulate, his Cambridge University speech inspired this book. What is surprising is-or, on reflection, perhaps not, is as greater a orator as Tharoor is, his writing style, although well-researched and engaging, is didactic and lacks the elegance of his vocal abilities; some of his puns lose their verve without the cadence of his voice, some of his homilies became slightly platitudinous but, with that being said, Inglorious Empire is one of ...more
Vinita Thomas
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
More than Indians or any other country colonised by the British, it's important every Brit reads. Something I doubt their history books covers!
Anil Swarup
The speech delivered at Oxford that led to writing of this book was a brilliant one but the book itself fades in comparison. However, it is still worth reading because of the inimitable style of Shashi Tharoor and his penchant for research before coming to conclusions. He is indeed critical of the empire for "cruelties unheard and devastation almost without name....crimes which have their rise in the wicked dispositions of men in avarice, rapacity, pride, cruelty, malignity, haughtiness, ...more
Sajith Kumar
As the world slept, India awoke to light and freedom on a summer night in 1947 after reeling under two centuries of British rule and seven centuries of Islamic hegemony. Undoubtedly, some beneficial aspects had been bestowed on the country from the alien rule, but there is universal consensus that on the whole, the experience had been deleterious. Shashi Tharoor, former UN bureaucrat, politician, former minister in Manmohan Singhs cabinet and writer, presents a postmortem examination of the ...more
Surabhi Sharma
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
The Author, Shashi Tharoor, is an Indian politician and a former diplomat who is currently serving as Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha.

The birth of the book is the speech made by the author at Oxford when author was invited as a speaker at Oxford Union. After praises, criticism, trolling over internet, the speech made its way in the heart of masses. The book is not his written speech; it is differ in many respects. This book is not about British Colonialism as a whole, but simply tells about
Kavita
It is as much a pleasure to read Shashi Tharoor as it is to hear him speak. Quite apart from his eloquence and flawless phrasing of language, Tharoor knows how to keep his audience interested, whether he is writing or speaking. I have read his fiction work a long time ago and was very impressed. Now, this work of non-fiction is also very good. And required. Oh, how very needed is this work!

Tharoor tackles the subject of British colonisation of India and its effects and aftereffects. Taking the
Tariq Mahmood
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The book has been popular because it is rather direct and thought-provoking. But in terms of arguments, I found a few well known strong arguments along with a number of weaker ones. Why were so few British able to control so many more Indians for so long in India for instance? Were not the local Indians junior partners in this venture?

I could not help comparing China with Indian colonisation. Why did China resist while the Indians acquiesced? After all, East India company was equally trying to
Sandeep Raturi
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If history interests you, you will simply love this book. If it doesnt, you may like it even more as the book may spark an interest in you for history. In todays age of social media, when nationalism and patriotism have become almost synonymous with chest thumping jingoism, this book which has been written with unbridled passion and utmost love for the country but without sacrificing rationality, is a must-read. It presents a harrowing account of the BrUtish raj in India and explains in detail ...more
Veena
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Shashi Tharoor is a die hard nationalist, so are many of us. But one thing that keeps him at the edge is the deep recognition of facts and the courage to speak it out on a national and international platform. Tharoor begins with an stunning preface, putting the book into the context. He talks about the talk he gave at Oxford which in turn prompted him to write this book. He explains the importance of history, that it is neither for excuses nor for revenge. It is to know our past better to learn ...more
Toshali Gupta
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
While a lot of arguments and cases in discussions seemed (and very well could be) biased and hypocritical,
there have been multiple statements and illustrations which I not only agree but thank the author for adding to my database of Indian History :
- Unlike any other foreign influence/immigrants (namely Portuguese, Mughals, Persian etc) , British were in India with the sole purpose of making money and not to settle in. Makes quite sense with his illustrated examples.
- If not for anything else,
Kolumbina
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there were such history books when I was younger, in high school studying history as well as geography and many other subjects.
I learned a lot from this book. Wow! Interesting, shocking and disturbing history book of India.
The short chapter about cricket is also included, even a bit about very famous Indian movie "Lagaan".
The last chapter, conclusions and overview is really excellent and author accepts that the troubled Kohinoor diamond will stay on English crown.
I am really glad I read
Calzean
The author provides passionate rebuttals to the traditional histories of all the good things England did for it's appreciative colonies. His analysis of the English divide and rule strategy, using religious differences and the caste system, was fascinating. He also shows the lack of English investment in education and health and little regard to the welfare of the Indian people. He also shows how a great country was demeaned and devalued in the pursuit of profits.
David Eppenstein
"Inglorious Empire: What the British Did To India" now there's a title that caught my eye. I know next to nothing about the history of India but I have read a great deal of British history and have more than a passing knowledge of their colonial exploits and in particular what they did to Ireland, the Middle East, and South Africa. Since this book was only 249 pages of text I thought this could be a quick survey of Indian history under British occupation and I might learn something about the ...more
shakespeareandspice
Review originally posted on A Skeptical Reader.

An Era of Darkness is an extended narrative drawn from Tharoors Oxford speech few years ago. In it, he discusses the effect of the British Empire on the Indian subcontinent. The topics covered in the book range from the de-industrialization of Indian manufacturing, the myth of the English gift, the rift built by the British in India-Pakistan partition debates, and so on. Its a long list.

The history is quite thorough but surprisingly accessible.
Apoorv Purwar
Shashi Tharoor with his speech at Oxford had set high expectations from this book. But the tenseness of his arguments in the speech at Oxford seemed to have diluted in the book.
In order to monetise from the fact that his speech had gone viral and the time was perfect for him to score some monetary gains from the sales of this book, he seemed to have compiled it in a hurry without focussing much on the persuasiveness of the content.

Almost every chapter at least has a few lines from his speech
Diptakirti Chaudhuri
An extremely detailed recounting of the many ills that the British Raj brought upon India, reducing one of the world's economic superpowers (in 1750) to a bankrupt and bleeding mess (in 1947).
Tharoor takes on the so-called benefits of the British rule - the railways, the education system, cricket, tea - and deconstructs the rationale behind promoting them among Indians, listing out the positives and negatives.
A couple of the chapters seem a little repetitive but Tharoor writes with exceptional
Kevin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-books
WOW!!! What a fantastic book, a literary marvel, deserves a Nobel !!!

" The creation and perpetuation of Hindu-Muslim antagonism was the most significant accomplishment of British imperial policy; the project of divide et impera would reach its culmination in the horrors of Partition that eventually accompanied the collapse of British authority in 1947."
Sagheer Afzal
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an impassioned tirade against the injustices perpetrated by the British Raj durng their rule of India. The stats that Tharoor presents provide a compelling argument and offer a harrowing insight into the callousness of the great British Empire.

This book should become required reading within classrooms because after having read it, I realised that the narrative of the British Empire presented within history lessons is not accurate. Winston Churchill's bigotry is never discussed
Nikita Nautiyal
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shashi Tharoor's books never disappoint me . His latest 'An era of Darkness' once again proves what a brilliant writer he is !His style of narration makes history so readable and interesting .

Coming to the book now , this book in the first place will clear all your misconceptions on the supposed benefits of the British Raj . Whatever they established be it the railways , press , laws ,educational institutions were to serve their own interest in India .
One of the facts he quotes is how india's
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
The content of Inglorious Empire was exceptional. It was a well-researched counter to the too often made claims that British Colonialism was a positive for the countries that they invaded. Shashi Tharoor is candid about his disagreement with the claims of colonial apologists, while still appreciating the parts of British culture that speak to him today. He makes clear that hating British imperialism is not synonymous with hating all things British, as so many apologists would have you think.

The
hayls
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well-argued, scathing critique of the Raj, and a great explanation of the real purpose of British colonialism in general. Tharoor eloquently knocks down all the common arguments put forth by apologists of empire, especially the suggestion that India could not possibly have become what it is today without the 'benefits' left behind by the British. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on the context and events leading up to the Partition of India. I was also interested to learn that the area of ...more
Vinay Badri
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
A wonderful read geared to also make you quite angry at the end of it. The sheer scale of the plunder is only matched by the sheer callousness of British towards India. None of this is exactly new but reading about it esp when there are numbers associated towards it brings about the enormity of what happened during those 2 centuries. Tharoor takes on every flimsy excuse that justifies that occupation and tears them to shreds quite poetically and ironically in the same language.
Goodreads Librari...: ACE needed 4 33 Jul 29, 2018 10:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: ACE needed 4 35 Jul 29, 2018 10:41AM

• India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
  • The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity
  • The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
  • India Since Independence
  • An Uncertain Glory: India and Its Contradictions
  • Koh-I-Noor: The History of the World's Most Infamous Diamond
  • My Gita
  • History of Modern India
  • The Accidental Prime Minister (The Making and Unmaking of Manmohan Singh)
Shashi Tharoor is a member of the Indian Parliament from the Thiruvananthapuram constituency in Kerala. He previously served as the United Nations Under-Secretary General for Communications and Public Information and as the Indian Minister of State for External Affairs.

He is also a prolific author, columnist, journalist and a human rights advocate.

He has served on the Board of Overseers of the