Start by marking “The House of New Beginnings” as Want to Read:
The House of New Beginnings

The House of New Beginnings

Number 11, Dukes Square, looks just like the other houses on the Brighton seafront: a Regency terrace with elegant sash windows, a winding staircase, and post piled up in the hall for its tenants. It might be part of the city's history, but it's also a place of brand new beginnings.

Georgie has followed her childhood sweetheart to Brighton but is determined to carve out a

Paperback, OME, 471 pages
Published January 26th 2017 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The House of New Beginnings, please sign up.
Carrie This is available in paperback my lovely. A heartwarming read. I hope that you’ve managed to find a copy?

Karen Whittard
I have been eagerly awaiting this book for a long time now. I have had it preordered for months now. I love Lucy Diamonds books. I have only awarded this book three stars because at the start I found it a little hard to get into and it didn't grab my attention like her other books have. That said thou in the end I really liked this book and found it funny and warming.

The book follows the troubles of three woman Rosa, Georgia and Charlotte. All of them have had very troubled pasts and each of th
Dale Harcombe
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One seafront house at Brighton is home to several tenants. Rosa is starting over training to be a chef after being in the advertising game, until her love life fell apart and she needed to get out and start afresh. Georgie, having followed her boyfriend Simon to Brighton, is trying to carve out a new career for herself in journalism. That produces more than its share of adventures and laughs, as well as problems. Charlotte is still not over the death of her baby daughter Kate and her subsequent ...more
Mackenzie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Song for summary: Never Too Late by Hedley

I absolutely adored this book! The characters are sweet, troubled, and unique; while the plot is an emotional and touching story about new friendships, love, and starting over. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and I will be sure to keep a look out for this author!
Agi
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases

Oh yes, guys, it was a high time for a new Lucy Diamond's book - I've been already experiencing Ms Diamond withdrawal symptoms, to be honest, missing her warm and inviting writing style and gorgeous stories about strong women. When I've seen the title of the new book - "The House of New Beginnings" - I really didn't have to read the synopsis to know that it's going to be a gorgeous novel about taking chances and starting afresh. And guys, this cover...! THIS COVER...! Better let's not start on t
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Bestselling author, Lucy Diamond, is back with yet another cracking novel. Just when you think her novels cannot get any better, she manages to raise the bar even higher for herself and write another heart-warming read.

We wouldn't be human if we didn't lust after a new start at some point in our lives, right? A change of scenery, fresh new faces, a brand new routine and seeing your old life without your rose-tinted glas
Sally Whiteside
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another author to add to my favourites. Loved this book and it's characters plus the added bonus of it being set in Brighton, just up the road from Littlehampton where I live. This gave me a rollercoaster of emotions which I liked a lot.
Vanya Says So
Feb 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb-reads
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
In a large, elegant yet imposing Victorian house in the seaside town of Brighton, England, several women live in hiding: hiding from the pain of the past, from people, from life, from the truth of their lives. Recent arrivals, it is months before they even meet the people living in the other flats. Yet when they do, they rediscover much that they had lost: purpose, laughter, confidence, a sense of belonging.

Georgie has followed her partner, architect Simon, to Brighton to avoid a six-month separ
Lydia Bailey
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You just can’t beat Lucy Diamond for a light, easy going read & I’ve certainly enjoyed this one. Not my favourite of hers but still really enjoyable without being TOO cheesy. Of course everything gets wrapped up a little too neatly at the end & it’s all a little predictable but definitely a book to relax with.
Sharon
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new Lucy Diamond book – how long have I waited for this? Too long!! It was nice to finally be back in the comfort of one of her books!

In the House of New Beginnings we meet several women who are all hiding from something whether it be love, bereavement and lies. The house is located a stone’s throw away from the beach in Brighton. Each women has a flat at number 11 Duke’s Square. Rosa is a kitchen assistant in a hotel. This wasn’t what she used to do, and it isn’t what she wants to do now but
Zoe
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absorbing, beguiling, and incredibly touching!

This is a heartwarming story that reminds us to always live life to the fullest and never be afraid to try something new.

The prose is effortless. The plot is a wonderful blend of heart, humour and hope. And the characterization is spot on with a wonderful cast of characters, including some strong, determined, courageous women who learn through compassion and friendship to let go of the past and embrace the future.

This is, ultimately, a story about dr
victoria_tonks
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-read

The book tells a story (or rather stories) of three women - Charlotte, Georgie and Rosa, who come to Brighton as a result of life-changing and often traumatic events in their respective lives, and rent their flats in the same building. Their stories are told separately up to a certain point and then, around the middle of the book, they start to become interwoven, step by step.

I read it almost in one sitting (or rather listened to the audiobook narrated by Avita Jay), so it was a real p
Nicola Clough
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book I really enjoyed it and had great characters and good story line. Lucy diamond never lets you down with her books can everyone find their way in life and start again. Well worth reading.
Catherine Raitt
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Well this was just a lovely read. Happiness in a book. Tales of heartache turned into a happy ending. Gorgeous book, will happily read Lucy Diamond again.
Naaz
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Review to follow
Niamh
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lucy Diamond is one my many guilty pleasures- I love the way her books are written and there is always something light about them that makes my heart squeeze happily.

The novel follows three women who live in the apartments of a grand house in Brighton and their trials and tribulations as they navigate love and life in the city. Though obviously, I do have some issues with the fact that one point of view revolves around keeping a man, there are some wonderful characters in this novel. It's not r
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
A beautiful and uplifting story about friendship, starting over, and second chances.
Anne
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House of New Beginnings is set in Brighton and 11, Dukes Square is the place that three women have come to make their own new beginnings. The house, with its seafront views and ferocious house manager has been converted into flats and Georgie, Charlotte and Rosa are the newest residents.
Three very different women with their own issues and complicated lives, but who are brought together by their new address. The reader is invited along on their journey, and what a fabulous and heart warming t
Victoria
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chiclit, audible
This story took a long time to get into. I've tried a number of times over the last year or so and this time was determined to persevere.
Persevere I did and thankfully have finished it.
I actually quite like the simplicity and easy listening (on audible), as a change from my usual reading choices. Got to know the characters eventually and got into the story but it was very meandering and overly long. It felt like it needed to pick up a bit of pace, get some oomph behind it.

The three main charac
Nikki
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Symonds
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Lucy Diamond's books and they always seem to put a smile on my face. I love the fact it was set in Brighton as I go there quite alot and there are parts in the book where I know like the lanes. I got really wrapped up with all the residents of the flats lives and kind of felt as though I was one of them too. One of the things with Lucy Diamond's books are I can always find someone I can relate too and I found this with this book too. A book you just wont want to put down.
Sophie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved everything about this book

Such a quick read from start to finish, couldn’t wait to pick it up and continue with the story. Love how Lucy structured the novel letting the reader find out a little more about each character before merging them all together as they get to know each other.
The story is written beautifully - would definitely recommend.
First time reading one of her books, can’t wait to read another one.
Jo
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lucy Diamonds books and this one didn't disappoint. It tells the stories of 3 different women who for one reason or another all find themselves living in different flats in a big old house near the beach in Brighton. Their stories are believable and sometimes very sad. Other residents are brought into the story. A fantastic cast of characters and a lovely book.
Janine
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This was a bit difficult to get into but once I sorted out the characters it was enjoyable.
Joan
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
Jocelyn (foxonbooks)
Sweet, heartfelt and with lots of feel-good endings, Lucy Diamond's books are my favourite type of contemporary fiction 😊
Dawn
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to come - such a fab book :)
Vickie Richens
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Lucy's book, trouble is I love them so much that I can't put it down, have read it all in one night
Liz
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read with a good mix of characters.
Chrys
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful, a really lovely story with great characters and a fun storyline. I thoroughly enjoy reading Lucy Diamond and this is one of her best yet. A really good book to kick start a New Year of pleasurable reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Life as It Comes
  • The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week
  • Graffiti Girl
  • It Must Have Been the Mistletoe
  • Anna (One Love, Two Stories, #1)
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name

First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lu
“the green numerals of Jo’s bedside clock telling her that it was 3.08: insomniacs’ hour.” 0 likes
“She was not a shy person, Georgie, but chatting to friendly baristas in cafés when she ventured out for a coffee or sandwich had so far been the extent of her socializing here in” 0 likes