Start by marking “Petals” as Want to Read:
Petals

Petals

On Christmas Eve, a horrific car accident leaves Carly Perez without a mom. After a year of surgeries and counseling, Carly’s life is nearly back to normal—except for the monsters—vague, twisted images from the accident that plague her dreams. When her father insists on spending their first Christmas alone in Guatemala with a slew of relatives Carly has never met, she is f ...more
Published March 15th 2017 by Skyrocket Press

To ask other readers questions about Petals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Petals

Dianne
Carly’s last Christmas Eve with her mother will forever haunt her memories, the icy roads, the sounds of the glass and metal, the pain, the surgeries and the limp she will forever have. Carly could never figure out why that last minute gift was so important, but that gift cost her mother her life and gave Carly nightmares that would repeat the horrors over and over, following her everywhere.

Spending Christmas with her father’s estranged family in Guatemala is NOT what Carly wants, a group of str
sue
This book far exceeded my expectations in as much as I didn't think it would hook me as much as it did.
Having never read any of this authors books before (and I usually read over 200+ per year) I think I will be continuing to look more into any other books she's published.

Here is a young woman that comes from parents who are of different race.
The father comes from Guatemalan and mum is white.
Her mother is dead and she's trying hard to come to terms with this.
I liked how the author moved us to a
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, clean
This book was not quite what I was expecting. It surprised me a bit- in a good way. I found the story and the setting very interesting. Carly is obviously struggling with a lot of residual emotional and physical damage from the car accident that took her mother's life. Nearly a year later, Carly's dad takes her to Guatemala to reconnect with his family-people Carly has never met- in the hopes of helping her and distracting her from the anniversary of what is coming.

Carly isn't always kind- on to
Cordelianne
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars
I was pleasantly surprised with Petals by Laurisa Reyes. This book had something from a lot of genres! A bit of mystery and thriller, but also a touch of romance. The mother of the main character, Carly, has died and she is really struggling to come to terms with it. Because of this her farther thinks it is a good idea to go and spend some time with his family in Guatemala. The ending was really unexpected, but beautiful as well. The book reminded me quite a bit of We were liars, as both
Jenna
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book by Laurisa White Reyes that I have read, and I was definitely not disappointed! Petals is the touching story of teen Carly Perez's struggle to accept the death of her mother while adapting to the Guatemalan lifestyle of her dad's family. She is haunted by nightmares and visions concerning the accident, but the new relatives she meets gladly provides love and comfort to help her through it.

I like to say that I am an avid reader (reading at least 50 books a year), so I com
Emmie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an amazing book! It reads as if it's a thriller suspense, but it is not.... Without giving too much away I just want to say that I was glued to the pages and read the book in one sitting.

The ending caught me completely by surprise. Well done Laurisa White Reyes! I loved every minute!

The characters and story line was so well crafted every page was unexpected. I would recommend this book to every one who loves a book about family, forgiveness and love.

Amber
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love the diversity in characters that Laurisa White Reyes brings to her stories. Having children that are bi racial with parents both having different ethnicities, it's nice to know there are books out there that they can relate to the characters more on. Petals is the second book I have read by this author and she always blows me away with her writing. I really enjoyed reading about Carly and her family. My heart really went out to her as a teenager living in today's society it's reall ...more
 Mummy Cat Claire
"In sixty-seconds, my mom will be dead." How haunting is that?

Carly is a California girl who lost her mother Christmas Eve night. She hasn't done well the year after the accident and so her father decides to leave California and spend time away in Guatemala with his parents and other relatives. Carly has never been there, doesn't speak much Spanish and doesn't want to go at.all. "All I ask is that you give it a chance, Carly. Give them a chance."
Shortly after leaving California, Carly sees a ma
DiQu91
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahh, I had a good feeling about this book and honestly, I am impressed.This is a kind of a mystery novel but a light read.. if you are a mystery lover but want to get a break with all those intense thriller and mysterious novels.. this is for you all...
This book has everything, from love, family, regrets and getting back up again. I am totally going to recommend this book to everyone!!!

(Got the epub in exchange for honest review.)
Olga Miret
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grief, survivor’s guilt, identity and family relations in a beautifully written book set in Guatemala. I’m writing this review as part of a blog tour for this novel that I voluntarily agreed to participate in.
From the author’s note, it is clear that this book is a labour of love that has been many years in the coming. This is the first novel by Larisa White Reyes I had read and it is unlikely to be the last one.
The story is told in the first person by Carly Perez, a young girl (almost eighteen)
Erin
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story about the difficult subject of loss of a parent, and the guilt of being a survivor. It tells the story of not only how it affects the child, but also her father, and the relationship between her and her father. Each person has a different way of how they want to deal with the grief of a loss, and sometimes these ways conflict – especially when it comes to a teenager girl and her father. In this case, Carly’s father goes to the extreme of taking her from her home in California to ...more
Flora Viggiano
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This talented author helps the reader see, in vivid adjectives, Guatemala and California. The book is suspenseful, well written and so very interesting. I honestly did not see the end coming. The author takes on some heavy themes - loss of a parent, and the torn feelings a person with two heritages might feel. White Reyes did her homework especially with the Guatemalan history and traditions. I loved how she added Spanish phrases. It made the well developed characters seem real.
The teenage Carl
Tara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review on ebooksforreview.com.
There was something about this book that felt really fresh to me. It shouldn’t have felt that way because this topic is written about everywhere. I was completely absorbed into this story and the characters almost immediately.
Carly has been trying to recover from a tragic accident that happened a year ago. All of the surgeries and therapy sessions simply cannot block out the monsters in Carly’s mind and the fact that s
Helen Drake
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dorine White
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful young adult coming of age story with a rich cultural background and a thrilling surprise twist. Carly doesn't want to go visit her relatives in Guatemala, but on the one year anniversary of her mother's death, her father decides it's time to meet the family. The setting is bold and brilliant, a weaving of images and traditions that sing to a reader's senses. I felt like I was in Guatemala as I read Carly's tale. It was fun to read of holiday traditions from another culture and observ ...more
Claire Sayan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heather
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Petals, by Laurisa White Reyes, is a contemporary romance story leaning towards a teen/young adult audience. The author had suspense interwoven within this story along with the vivid details in the descriptions provided - to include the locations. It was easy to picture the story as you read. This was an emotional read in dealing with loss and navigating through life. I found the characters to be touching and well shaped in their delivery. There were times I got lost in the story or felt that it ...more
Sara
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review (Inspired Kathy Blog).

This was not what I expected. And I'm still not sure whether that's a good thing or bad. I also expected it to be paranormal, for some reason, but it was not. Although the story sure let you sort of think it might be. Maybe all the weird dreams and "visions" (or hallucinations?) Carly kept on having even while awake.
I must say, for at least half of the book I didn't like either Carly nor her father and surely not Migu
Liliyana Shadowlyn
A powerful story of new beginnings and finding yourself after tragedy upends your life, 'Petals' is a must read for all who believe in hope and love. You'll love Carly from the start. A brave young woman who's life is still tumbling from the tragedy that shattered her world a year ago. But will her father's attempt at a new holiday tradition hurt her or help her heal? You'll have to read to find out!

Received for review
Dalene Elliott
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the mixture of cultures and how we can learn to love what is unfamiliar to us. The twist is great and how we can learn about ourselves. The characters were real to me.
Great read for young adults and adults.
The Ordinary Housewife Book Blog
If your looking for a young adult book with love and suspense that is written so well that you can feel the emotion bouncing out of the book. I loved reading about Guatemala and the culture and I think that really helped make the book even more wonderful than it already was. The chemistry between Miguel and Carly was amazing and it kept me reading late into the night. This was my first book by this author but after this, I will definitely be looking at more of this authors work.
Padma Murali
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
An emotionally heart wrenching novel. A poignant tale of a daughter who loses her mother in a car accident on christmas eve and her emotional struggle to accept this loss.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Petals was one of the best books I have ever read! It is about Carly, who is a girl surrounded by secrets and mysterious dreams regarding the car crash that killed her mother. Carly goes to Guatemala to visit her father's family, where she uncovers secrets about her past, as well as meet her handsome step cousin.

The very descriptive words and the intriguing mystery kept me wanting to read more. Petals is an awesome book if you are looking for a great mystery/love story, which are my favorite ty
Teya Peck
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't give 5 stars often but this one deserved it. It also helped that I read Mindgames by les beta readers first because it had me in the perfect frame of mind for this book. I enjoyed the slight twist within the story. Well done.
Kathy
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, suspense
When Carly’s father takes her to Guatemala to meet his estranged family over Christmas break, Carly is angry and can’t figure out why her dad is making her leave California during the one year anniversary of her mothers’ death. As she meets her grandparents and Aunt, she is surrounded by the beauty of this foreign country where she understands little of the culture and language. This is the first book I have read by Laurisa Reyes but I will look for more. She uses words to paint stunning picture ...more
Nari
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read from this author and it won't be my last. This book had depth. It is a YA coming of age and healing from tragedy along with dealing with parents of different races. This book has suspense that will keep you turning the pages until the end. I love to see growth in the main character and this book does a great job of this.
Cheri
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this novel 6 months ago and I still remember how it took me right into Central America with vivid imagery. I enjoyed it so much. I am an adult woman who loves young adult fiction and this book did not disappoint. I was invested in the main character and surprised at the turn the book takes many times. I highly recommend it!
Cassie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book free with the intention to review, this didn't effect my opinion of the book.
Overwhelmed by the sudden death of her mother, Carly can't sleep at night. Nearly a year later Carly still can't sleep, she starts seeing a man with a scarred face following her everywhere. Follow as Carly lives through the pain of the anniversary of her mother's death, and see how Carly is forever changed.
Melanie Mason
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I kept reading, waiting for something to happen, but as the story unfolded I realized that this was the story, Carly's experience in healing. What I didn't expect was the huge twist at the end. This book had me taught, crying, shouting, and cheering. What a beautiful story of learning not to judge, forgiving others, and finding healing. It certainly wasn't what I expected, but I walked away feeling peace. That says a lot!!!
Jackie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book and subject. Totally impossible not to finish as quickly as possible. Just loved it and perhaps they'll be more of this.