Start by marking “Expelled” as Want to Read:

Expelled

One viral photo.
Four expelled teens.
Everyone's a suspect.

Theo Foster's Twitter account used to be anonymous--until someone posted a revealing photo that got him expelled. No final grade. No future. No fair.

Theo's resigned to a life of misery working at the local mini-mart when a miracle happens: Sasha Ellis speaks to him. Sasha Ellis knows his name. She was also expelled
Kindle Edition
Published October 23rd 2017 by jimmy patterson

To ask other readers questions about Expelled, please sign up.
Jill Taraskiewicz Lyon Yes - mature subjects and some swearing. All normal for your typical YA books, but I wouldn't let my children read this until maybe 15-16 (but we are…moreYes - mature subjects and some swearing. All normal for your typical YA books, but I wouldn't let my children read this until maybe 15-16 (but we are very conservative). Sex, drinking, death...(less)

Start your review of Expelled
Leah
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-read-2018
Last year I read my first ever James Patterson novel - Crazy House. It was an interesting read with a great concept and I hold out hope there will be a sequel because it definitely lent itself to one. So when I spotted another Patterson book on my local library’s website, I requested it,mostly because Expelled sounded a lot like One Of Us Is Lying, one of my favourite reads last year and I was intrigued to see how Patterson pulled it off.

To be completely honest, Expelled is your run of the mill
Kate ☀️ Olson
Paula  Phillips
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it

Remember when I was saying how the new theme in teen books seems to be The Breakfast Club with a mystery twist. Expelled by James Patterson and Emily Raymond is another book on that theme. In the case of Expelled though, they are at the Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200 but instead of going straight to detention they have been expelled. Will Foster had a secret twitter account where he exposed the school student's secrets - he was his school's version of Gossip Girl. Except when a photo is
Andie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book has fallen in my esteem since I finished it. I probably would have rated it at like a 2 or 3 a week ago, but as I think about it and talk about it more and continue to try to think through the story... I just like it less and less as I find myself truly identifying my problems with it. It's not the book it's marketed as - that's the main thing I want the people reading this review to know. It plays itself as this "teamwork, group dynamic, high school mystery" and it really isn't. The ...more
Alicia
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was the ending revelation really necessary? I think not. That was way too big of an issue to throw out at the very end of the book. It made absolutely no sense to me and really killed the ending. Overall, a good young adult book, until the end. Very poor decision making on that one.

It was obvious that something was going on with Sasha and that we would eventually find out, but of all the things that could be the problem, that is what they picked??? It had nothing at all to do with what the rest
Wendy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. It is really directed toward YA but it kept me interested and reading. I've actually been enjoying more of James Patterson's YA novels lately than his adult books.
Yiling
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, arc
Quick read- if it was any longer it would have felt like it was dragging on because there was very little plot. VERY LITTLE. Most of the story was just setup and then in the last couple of pages there was a small reveal to resolve the story.

(view spoiler)
Aza
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was very heart lifting and showed what some teenagers have to go through, even in a family, like Sasha. James Patterson is a very captivating and motivating author.
Emily Banks
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
No. No. Protagonist was dull and not developed. Lots of big subject matter (suicide! abuse!) that was handled incredibly irresponsibly. This book made me so mad.
Ricky
I'll give this book four stars if only because of Theo and Jude - a terrific narrator and a terrific Stiles, and even better, a Stiles they actually, on the page, write as openly bi rather than leaving it ambiguous and up to our headcanons. Sasha deserves mention too, because she's a very complicated character, much more so than I tend to expect Patterson to deliver. Though maybe that's his cowriter Emily Raymond's hand at work. Overall, this story is a longer one than it should be, and a little ...more
Michelle
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another quick little Breakfast Club "who dunnit". Enjoyable and a fast read.
NotanAmericanIdiot URMUM
This book was a quick read, and frankly not an attention grabber. 3.5 stars most certainly. I feel this book tried to be extremely interesting but it would just tell you instead of showing you what was so interesting.
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I picked this out because my mom likes James Patterson's books, but it was not an enjoyable mystery to me. (Maybe his adult books are better, who knows?)

I'm not a big mystery reader because I'm very picky about what I like in the genre. And this cemented that mediocre mystery read that I expect out of most mystery novels (except for the classics).

The plot was mediocre, unsuspenseful, and predictable, and I could easily identify the plot structure. There wasn't that feeling of suspense
Darinda
Theo is expelled for posting a party pic online. The only problem, Theo didn't really post the photo. He involves some other students that were expelled at the same time to help him find out who was behind the photo.

A not-so-great updated version of The Breakfast Club. A group of teens get expelled from school, but some aren't exactly guilty of the charges. A quick YA read that is part contemporary and part mystery. Theo is mostly self-centered, but in the way that is normal for teenagers. Some
Les
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Okay, if the entire narration is from a guy, why does the cover show a girl and state "getting kicked out of school is the best thing that ever happened to her" [a highly dubious claim]? Seriously, this is Theo's story but they make it appear like it's all about Sasha. It also claims to be a "raw darkly humorous story," but I never saw any humor in it, and the plot devices are fairly obvious (other than a totally gratuitous denouncement at the end).

SPOILERS AHEAD, READ AT YOU OWN RISK...

You
Angela
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received an ARC of this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

It's books like this that make me glad I'm not in high school anymore! I didn't even go to high school that long ago, but we didn't have all these social media issues like the ones in Expelled. A crude photo of some students is posted on Theo's (it says the MC's name is Will in the blurb, but in my ARC, it's Theo) Twitter account, and because of the school's zero tolerance policy, Theo and the identified students in the picture
Taylor McGill
Expelled, by James Patterson, was not one of my favorite books. I would give this book four stars for a couple of reasons. This book didn’t make me want to keep flipping the pages as much as I would have liked. It had a good story line and was suspenseful but I couldn’t relate to the characters that much. These are a few reasons why I rated this book four stars.

The first reason why I didn’t love Expelled is because I couldn’t relate to any of the characters. One of the characters is Theo. He
Morgan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Full Review can be found at Http://www.thegraduatedbookworm.com

Although very late, I would like to thank the amazing people from Hachette Books Canada for sending me a copy in exchange for a review! I will be honest though, this wasn't my favourite book, even though there were some great moments!

I feel like there were moments that the book kind of dragged. I know the whole point was that they were trying to find out who posted the photo, but it felt like they were dragging it on for too long. I
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
First of all, no matter what you may think of James Patterson, there's absolutely something to be said for a book you can read 200 pages of in an hour and not feel like it was utter fluff. That's really cathartic.

The actual book suffers a bit from cover copy that could either be considered a spoiler or plain misleading, as well as taking too long to get to the meaty bits of the story. Patterson and his co-author are trying to cover some very heavy material in the subplots, and while it isn't
Teresa
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Theo Foster had the worst birthday ever. He was expelled after a very revealing photo of the school's star quarterback (Parker Harris - who is also expelled) is posted on Theo's secret Twitter account. The photo also includes the school mascot urinating on a jersey. Although they do not know who is under the head of the mascot, they assume that it is Jude, Theo's best friend. Sasha Ellis is also expelled after she is accused of stealing the money from the school's snack machines. Who would frame ...more
Rich Hackford
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Expelled is centered around a mystery and it has an unrelated twist at the end. I predicted both of them after reading the first five chapters. This must mean:

A. I'm a super sleuth.
B. James Patterson was trying to develop the protagonist as one who overlooks the obvious clues around him because he is too focused on himself.
C. This story and its characters are not very original.

Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward the latter. Somehow(!) this is the first book I've read by James Patterson, and if
Kirsti
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This is my first James Patterson book, surprisingly enough. I didn't really like the story, because I didn't feel like there was much to it. It's not really as big a mystery as it's made out to be, and really, it's just Theo asking questions and realizing what was in front of him all along. Then the last part with Sasha...I just didn't hink it was handled well or written well, honestly.

Kind of mediocre, which surprised me because I'd always heard James Patterson was pretty good. Three stars.
Taylor Peters
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
That plot twist though!

While I enjoyed this book (technically the audiobook), I wouldn't go out and buy it. This was my first experience with James Patterson and while I think it was a good one to start with, I also don't think I will be searching out more of his books. This was a book of opportunity for me, because it happened to be available in Libby when I was between audiobooks I had checked out and audiobooks I had on hold.
Allyson Bogie
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Kristi
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t a huge fan. There was a lot of language in it for a YA book and I hated the end of it. The end problem came out of nowhere and literally had nothing to do with the rest of the book. I expected more from a big name author.
Sam Hopper
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hated it...sorry...YA, with unnecessary vocabulary, but read much younger in my opinion.
I started it because it was James Patterson. I tortured myself to finish it for the same reason.
Regretted both.
Martha Schwalbe
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is about four high school students who try to get reinstated in school after they're expelled. It's a fun story but not particularly remarkable.
I would recommend it to students who like reading about teen life.
Shannon Rae
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turns out, James Patterson kills it in the YA department just as much as the adult books. ...more
Alli B.
May 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was not good.
Tracy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This explores several issues and raises several good points. Older teen recommended
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Christmas Sanctuary
  • Gunslinger Girl
  • The Way It Hurts
  • The Experiment
  • People Like Us (People Like Us, #1)
  • Not If I Save You First
  • We All Fall Down
  • The Radcliffes
  • Shout
  • Dazzling (Diamond Trilogy #1)
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
  • Pain (Alex Madison #2)
  • The Everything Tween Book: A Parent's Guide to Surviving the Turbulent Pre-Teen Years
  • That's Not What Happened
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books