Start by marking “Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)

Blood Gamble

(Disrupted Magic #2)

If there is one city that Scarlett Bernard hates, it’s Las Vegas. But when the cardinal vampire of Los Angeles convinces her to go investigate a new vampire-themed stage show, Scarlett quickly finds herself shoulder-deep in sequins, slot machines, and Old World intrigue.

The show’s creators are vampire celebrities Arthur and Lucy Holmwood, who once inspired characters from
Published July 25th 2017 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Blood Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Gamble

Montzalee Wittmann
Blood Gamble by Melissa F Olson and narrated by Amy McFadden is a terrific fantasy book in a series I am hooked on! Vampires, werewolves, witches and Nulls which are rare but are people that cause magic from the other supernatural beings to be cancelled out when the Null is around. Scarlet is tricked into going to Vegas and spying on a pair of showman Vamps. While there she meets a friend who is a Null too. She also pokes around into the disappearance of almost 40 missing vampires. This causes t ...more
Kira
I loved the first book in this series but was terribly disappointed in this. All of the growth and maturity Scarlett gained in the last book up and disappeared in a flash about halfway through. She has the shittiest taste in men. Does she have something against mature responsible men? Why does she keep going for these douchebags when it’s clear it’ll never work in the long run?

This took place in Las Vegas. It had a different vibe since none of the regular side characters were around frequently.
Beth
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this series at book 3, Shadow Hunt as an ARC review requested by the publisher. After finishing Shadow Hunt I instantly went back and purchased book 1, Midnight Curse, and book 2, Blood Gamble because I knew Olson's writing is something that would be added to must read shelf.

The Disrupted Magic series did NOT disappoint. Blood Gamble continues Scarlett's story but is told from both Scarlett's and Jesse's perspectives, although mostly Scarlett's. I do know what happens next because, li
Marta Cox
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another instalment in the chaotic life that Scarlet lives. Scarlet may be human but she's also a powerful null meaning that her life is anything but ordinary. Still she's somehow accepted who and what she is and has even trained hard to protect herself and those she cares for and that is unfortunately her weak spot. Scarlet is adamant that she's not going to Las Vegas no matter what Dashiel decrees but who said vampires play fair? Dashiel might not be warm and fluffy but as the cardinal vampire ...more
Runningrabbit
Spectacular

KU
This was amazing, and debatebly, the best Scarlett Bernard book yet. There is plenty of the same essential characters with some fresh characters added, which really enhanced the flavour of the novel as a whole. One of my favourite things about this book is it’s constant element of surprise.

I had plenty of sniffles and together with the complex plotline this was an amazing read. A wonderful dose of fast paced kicking and screaming and a fine element of Scarlett’s special kind of hum
Jenni Lea
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series so far

I contemplated skipping this book because it was set somewhere other than where it normally is and had a whole new cast of characters. I'm glad I didn't though. It turned out to be my favorite of the series. There was so much more depth and emotion in this book. I can't wait to read the next one.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
More reviews at TheBibliophage.com

Like Midnight Curse, Melissa F. Olson’s Blood Gamble is a “popcorn book.” It’s fun in a paranormal sort of way. Our heroine, Scarlett Bernard, is a flawed but lovable character. And the action has good pacing and innovative twists.

But … you knew there was a “but” coming next, right? It’s still just a 3-star read for me. But to me, three stars is a decent if not wildly memorable book. I have no complaints about that.

In Blood Gamble, Scarlett goes to Vegas to chec
Ami
Hallie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: due-july
In which we are confirmed in the belief that Scarlett will never get to have the nice things. For values of things = a romantic relationship.

Also in which an author's note added even more emotional punch to a twist-in-the-tail that I never saw coming, and in fact would doubt anyone could have foreseen.

And while I didn't love this (for the first point), I'm also wondering after the note if in some barely imaginable future, Scarlett's life will contain a solid, permanent relationship? Because it
Shelley
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Full Review Pending*

As this is actually the FIFTH installment in Scarlett's series, things really, really take a holy shite turn once you reach the last page. As the author states, she has seen this particular issue coming since the first book in the series. One could say that Olson jumps the shark on the ending. Especially after her character explicitly said one thing, and that thing apparently is BULLSHARK. I enjoyed this story nonetheless. I
Marta Cox
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
J.A. Ironside
Borrowed via Unlimited

If it's not a massively patronising thing to say, I'm really impressed with this series. I love urban fantasy but usually I like a bit more creature variety. Olsen's writing just really works for me though and I've got really fond of Scarlett and a few other characters. Clearly I started in the wrong place and should have begun with the first trilogy but I'm going to go back and read that when I've finished this trilogy. Especially after that ending! Omg normally a trope th
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dashiell convinces Scarlett to travel to Las Vegas to view a show created by the original vampires from the Dracula story, to determine if it is exposing the Old World - which it definitely is. While she is there, she learns that a bunch of vampires have gone missing and takes a side job to find out what happened to one of them. There are rumors of "skinners" (Old World assassins) being in town, but there is little evidence. She also knows her friend, Jameson, a null from NYC, is somehow wrapped ...more
Ian
Scarlet Bernard travels to Las Vegas to investigate a vampire couple who are getting close to letting the cat out of the bag about vampires. While there she discovers that vampires have been going missing.

I never quite got Scarlet Bernard and the LA vampires. I didn't connect with the characters and the stories left me feeling unsatisfied. I think I walked away from the series after book 2. But I've been giving it another try with the Disrupted Magic series which also features Scarlet Bernard a
Elisa
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freaking love these books. Olson is not kind to her characters, they go through some sh*t, but they grow for it. I enjoy all the characters, the story races along, and I don't have to "set it down" half way through. I really enjoy the whole thing. So, this is one series I want to read as soon as the book comes out. If you like paranormal / urban fantasy, these are a great addition to the genre.
Anyway, don't start with this one, read them all in order...and the two series intertwine a tiny bit,
Jeanny
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jeff
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Melissa Olson books are always a good time. Quick reads, but highly entertaining. There is plenty of action, a good bit of humor, and always an air of mystery. The protagonists are compelling and well-drawn. Another solid book from a solid author
Mona
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3-1/2 ***

Love the narrator.
Maggie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is a 4 but I have a policy of always knocking off a point for cliffhangers. Tacky, the author should have more faith you'd like to keep reading her work.
Tina
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blood Gamble will make you laugh (a lot), cry, and bring you to the edge of your seat with a startled gasp, at the end. I loved Scarlett’s Vegas adventure. As always all books with snarky, female leads are my favorite books!! Ms. Olson the reference to Dracula was a nice touch.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scarlett does not want to go to Las Vegas. No, not even if there are two vampires putting on a show that may reveal the old world. No not even if Dashiel is paying her a huge sum of money. She’s not going

But Vampires don’t take no for an answer and with Dashiel manipulating her sister-in-law into going she has to try and protect them. But there she encounters something far more deadly than Dashiel expected… she could come home, but who but Scarlett will stop the death toll rising?

I would descri
Kathy Martin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this adventure, Scarlett is pressured to go to Las Vegas to investigate a new stage show that seems to be outing vampires and their abilities. Her cover is a girls' weekend with her new sister-in-law and the other women of the bridal party. Scarlett isn't at all in favor of putting her sister-in-law and the other women in danger. Now she not only has to investigate but keep the humans safe too.

When she arrives in Las Vegas she finds that the show is being set up by two vampires - Arthur and L
Robin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little slow off the blocks but once you get in it's really good. I like the characters, world building and the plot works although it's going to be awfully interesting to see where it goes from here.
Brianna Belbin
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This book was just as great as Midnight Curse, but had a faster pace. I still love that Scarlett because she’s snarky and a strong heroine, but she just has the worst taste in guys. I didn’t see the ending until a few chapters away, but I’m just glad that the third book is already released so I don’t have to wait to know what happens next!
Amy
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Melissa Olson's universe she's created. The characters and types of paranormal groups she's created are great. I always read her new books and they're super enjoyable.
Suz
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, urban-fantasy
It was almost a 4 star but there were several stupid tropes that undermined the story over all, and I really didn't like the end. So, 3 stars. Good but not great.
Tiffany
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it.

I loved this book. I loved the ending. When she introduced Jamison I wondered if that would be the outcome. As a POC I'm glad that more color is being added to the story. I'm glad I waited to read this series because I think the wait would've been unbearable had I read it earlier. Can't wait until February 13th. I just have one more theory I want proven and I'll be a totally happy reader.
Llaph
Just wow…. I think the whole thing with Jameson … just sad. It was a revelation to see what another null went through. Especially if you compare Scarlet’s life with Charlie’s life, and then Jameson’s life. Makes a person wonder how the other few nulls in the world have been treated. Once again I think the author’s jab at writing romance/sexual emotions is a bit far-fetched or needs more work. That or I’m just old and don’t get how kids are these days….
I certainly wasn't expecting what all happen
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
The cliffhanger on the last page is so killer. I NEED the next book right away. It's just so crazy!

Related sidenote: The Author's Note after the end actually mentioned the cliffhanger, and how she knew people would either love or hate it. I personally love it, and totally see how it fits with the series. Doesn't mean I'm totally happy about it, or that I have to wait to read what happens next though. Hint, hint, next book now please.

It's no secret that I love this overall series,
Gskm
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10 stars!

Wow! Wish I could give this ten stars! Wish this books was twice as long as it was, just because I didn't want it to end. So exciting! Hard to believe I became so trapped in this story that I began reading at lunch, listen to the audible version all afternoon at work, then listened while driving home and immediately began reading and listening once home until the last sentence. It is a wonderful story that's very well written. You gotta listen too. The narration is excellent. It brings
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Veiled Enchantments (Veiled Magic, #3)
  • Any Port in a Storm (Ayala Storme #2)
  • Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles, #1)
  • Volatile Bonds (Prospero's War, #4)
  • Hellbender (Fangborn, #3)
  • The Emerald Lily (Vampire Blood, #4)
  • The City Beneath (Night Blood, #1)
  • Stray Magic (Strays, #1)
  • Snared (Elemental Assassin, #16)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Thirst (The Kresova Vampire Harems: Aurora #1)
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle #1)
  • Sixpence & Whiskey (Toil & Trouble, #1)
  • Wild Card  (Bite Back, #3)
  • The Cambion Cycle: Quincy Harker Year Two (Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter #5-8)
  • Ivy Granger Psychic Detective Box Set (Ivy Granger, #0.5, #1, #2, #3)
  • Master of Magic
  • Catch Me (Demon Underground, #6)
Melissa Olson was born and raised in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and studied film and literature at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. After graduation, and a brief stint bouncing around the Hollywood studio system, Melissa landed in Madison, WI, where she eventually acquired a master's degree from UW-Milwaukee, a husband, a mortgage, a teaching gig, two kids, and two comically o ...more

Disrupted Magic (3 books)
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)