Start by marking “Kenny & the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Kenny & the Dragon

Kenny & the Dragon

What do you do when your new best buddy has been designated a scourge by the community and marked for imminent extermination? Just ask Kenny Rabbit. When the simple folks in the sleepy little village of Roundbrook catch wind that there's a dragon running loose in the countryside, they get the wrong idea and the stage is set for a fight to the death. So it's up to Kenny to ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Kenny & the Dragon
Sharnie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
After another night of reading six picture books to my five year old sister, I decided that I should try her on a chapter book. So I set out to find her first chapter book, and on that day I found Kenny & the Dragon. I borrowed it on the spot and we began that night. I am so glad that this book found us, it was the perfect introduction for her to long books.

I knew of Tony Diterlizzi's other works, however I had never read them.

The characters are endearing to the extremes, the story sweet
Jessica
An adorable book with fun illustrations about a bookish young rabbit who befriends a very large dragon. Great for reading aloud.

Reread 2016: Got a new copy for Christmas, as ours had inexplicably disappeared! Love this book. The illustrations are so beautiful, and the story is a great take on The Reluctant Dragon. The kids loved it, too.
AJ (the.booknerd.reads)
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, read-2017
This book was so WHOLESOME and honestly the perfect pick-me-up after a tough few days. My heart is literally so happy you have no idea.
Allie
I read this to my 11 and 5 year old boys. We loved the story and pictures. Cute!
Heather
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book mainly because of the sweet cover! I love dragons!
And it only doubled my excitement to see that it was written by Tony DiTerilizzi a co-author of my favorite children series, Spiderwick Chronicles.

Besides being about dragons, I loved that Kenny was a 'stand-up' kinda of rabbit! He had friends of all types including adult friends. He stood up for what was right and saw value in solving his own problems with his own brain power! And his solutions are thought out, fair and
Ahalya
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
yet another inspiring book from the kid's school!
kid's takeaway :
Dan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Each school year, our school district picks one book and gifts a copy to each district family for a community read-along. It's my favorite program! Sometimes the books are duds, but they generally do a pretty good job with their selection. This year's read was Kenny & the Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi of Spiderwick Chronicles fame.

It's a winner!

Kenny would rather read and hang out with his friend George, the librarian.
Emory
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I saw "Kenny & thee Dragon" at my local library and picked it up solely based on the fact that it was by Tony DiTerlizzi. I have been a fan of his artwork since my days of Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. His illustrations have an unmistakably recognizable style, and even things that are supposed to be disturbing have a warmth and familiarity to them when he puts them on paper. So of course I had to see what kind of story he could attach to that.

As the title states, it's a
Wyatt Packard
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Kenny is an adventurous rabbit and lives in the sleepy farming village of Roundbrook. Kenny is an avid reader who always has his head stuck in a book, a trait the others in his school finds odd. They aren't interested in the tales of knights or dragons that Kenny finds fascinating. One day Kenny's father comes home and tells of the dragon he saw on their nearby hill. Kenny of course wants to run out and see this real live dragon himself. Kenny's mother allows it, as long as he finishes his ...more
Melissa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are dozens of books about kids making new friends and looking past outward appearances, but this one takes the cake. A bookish rabbit named Kenny meets a dragon named Grahame and the two become fast friends. Things get complicated when Kenny’s only other friend, George the local bookseller, is hired by the king to slay the dragon.

The short book is packed with great life lessons: finding nonviolent solutions to your problems, respecting your parents, talking out your problems with others,
Abby Johnson
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
When young Kenny Rabbit finds a dragon hanging out on the hill behind his house, he's afraid at first. But once he gets to know Grahame, he realizes that he's found a kindred spirit and a best friend. When townspeople discover the dragon and insist on destroying it, Kenny has to figure out a way to save his new friend without hurting any of the townspeople. Gorgeous illustrations improve an uneven story. I liked the writing for the most part, but Kenny's voice and the tone of the book seemed to ...more
Mikayla
Every once in a while you stumble upon a book that is yours. Yours in the sense that it occupies a teeny tiny piece of your soul and you have absolutely no chance of dislodging it.

It may be a children's book, it may be one of the shortest pieces on your bookshelf, it may just be a little bit silly, a little bit giggly, and yet you have to reread it every few months because this book is yours and it makes you happy in a way that dissecting Shakespeare doesn't quite reach.

Grahame and Kenny have
Cole
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book because of the characters, Kenny a quiet young rabbit meets Grahme a peaceful dragon looking for peace.When people start learning about Grahme a chaotic twist starts. The author leads you on a journey that you realize Kenny has a plan! The story shows much more than just a cover and words, it shows an unknown adventure!
Summer
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I had been wanting to pick up another DiTerlizzi book since I read The Spiderwick Chronicles a couple weeks ago, so when I saw this at the library today and saw that it was a retelling of The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame, which was one of my favorite reads last year, I had to pick it up! It was just delightful!
Justyn Rampa
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another short book with lots of pictures that we tried for Ozzy at bedtime. I think this one was very successful as Ozzy was very engaged and had lots of questions. Questions about both the plot elements and characters but also about the lessons the author was trying to teach.

It was a delightful read, that could have had a touch more female representation.
Loretta Grant
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. We both loved it. It was a beautifully written tale of a little boy protecting his new best friend. It dealt with not believing stereotypes and had good descriptions of feelings or emotions that young children might not understand when they are feeling them. We will definitely be keeping this book and I imagine we will reread it again. A 5 out of 5 for us both. ...more
Liz
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun short audiobook to listen to with the kiddos.
Jenny
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute story. We listened to this on CD and didn't care for the narration.
Ankana
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
If only the book hadn't ended with the young squirrel, Charlotte, proclaiming she'd always wanted to be a damsel in distress. That put a damper on my feelings about the book.
Erica (storybookend)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons, 2019-reads
This was a cute little read. I remember reading and liking The Spiderwick Chronicles when I was younger, so I wanted to read this other book by DiTerlizzi. Nothing spectacular, but still a fun novel about a rabbit who has to save his friend, a dragon, who the villagers fear will torch their homes and crops. And it has adorable pictures inside ...more
Nikky3
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
Stina
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth
You know those books that you really want to love, and you do like some little parts of them, but overall you just can't say you liked it? This was one of those books for me.

I liked the dragon, Grahame. He has amusing potential, and ought to have his own book.

The illustrations are lovely, charming and whimsical. It would have been great if the book included more drawings, because really, I enjoyed them more than the story.

What is the target reader age group? Young children (I'm thinking
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Kenny Rabbit has always been a little different. While most in the tiny farming town of Roundbrook are, indeed, farmers, he is a perpetual bookworm and dreamer, always with one fanciful notion or another in his head. But now it appears that he may be just a little too different for the citizens of Roundbrook - after all, who on earth has a dragon for a best friend?

When the villagers learn of the dragon running loose over the countryside, they
Ruhama
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Kenny is a young bunny who is quite different than everyone else: he enjoys reading, learning and has peculiar friends. The dragon, for instance, who recently showed up in his family's field. All of Kenny's readings portray dragons as cruel and firebreathing, but this one likes poetry, music and crème brûlée. They become fast friends, but the rest of the town doesn't agree with Kenny's new findings on dragons. Everyone is determined to get rid of it and even call on the king, who calls on his ...more
Brenda
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Kenny's father burst into the cottage one day and informs the family that they need to move. You see there is a dragon up on the hilltop. Curious, Kenny decides to investigate and initially thinks he would be perfect for the science fair. When more and more people learn of the dragons existence, the king orders his dragon slayer to dispatch the dragon. The only problem is that Kenny and the dragon have become friends and the dragon slayer is also one of his friends. What is poor Kenny to do? ...more
Julesmarie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was adorable! Just honestly so, so cute. The drawings were fantastic and made the characters much more relateable.

Kenny as the main character was beautifully done. He's exactly the type of character that my students would relate to: would rather read and learn about science and fairy tales than just about anything, doesn't fit in at school because he sincerely wants to be there, and would rather meet and get to know the dragon than automatically assume it's bad.

The drawings of Grahame were
Libby Ames
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
When a bookish dragon settles on the hill near his home, Kenny is anxious to investigate. He is made a little nervous by Grahame’s size at first meeting, but soon the two are best friends. However, the citizens of the nearby town aren’t so anxious to make friends with a dragon. The problem grows when Kenny realizes George, another of his close friends, has been ordered to exterminate Grahame. Soon it will take all of Kenny’s brains and strength of character to save his newest friend from the ...more
Kelly Ickes
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible vocabulary, well told and creative story about friendship within a retold fairytale. A variety of animal characters woven into the plot, with the main character being a boy rabbit and and ancient dragon. I really loved this book. I learned some new things when I was reading.... I never heard of birch beer before. Now I am on a quest to find some and try it.

Until I read The Search for WondLa, I did not know this author. I have certainly become one of is biggest fans just this summer!
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a delightful little book. I especially enjoyed looking at Tony DiTerlizzi's illustrations. His drawings never cease to amuse or amaze me. The story was a little simplistic, but I think juvenile readers would find it inspiring and want to read over and over again. Tony does an excellent job of having a simple message without dumbing down the reading level. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Tatiana Dengo
This story is short and sweet and made me feel like a child all over again. DiTerlizzi definitely knows what children like to read.

It includes many important lessons, mostly about respecting each other despite our differences, and it delivers these lessons without being preachy.

The illustrations have a scratchy aesthetic that made the story feel even more like a fairy tale, something that happened "Once upon a farm."

I would love to see this one turned into a movie.

• Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Soft Rain: A Story of the Cherokee Trail of Tears
  • Where's Burgess?
  • Blue (Ann Fay Honeycutt, #1)
  • Extra Credit
  • Walls Within Walls
  • Krista Kim-Bap
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • The Spider and the Fly
  • The Iron Ring
  • The Goat
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Billy Stuart and the Zintrepids
  • The Night Fairy
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more
“A full stomach allows the brain to be hungry for common sense.” 6 likes