Start by marking “Kenny & the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Kenny & the Dragon

Kenny & the Dragon

(Kenny & the Dragon #1)

What do you do when your new best buddy has been designated a scourge by the community and marked for imminent extermination? Just ask Kenny Rabbit. When the simple folks in the sleepy little village of Roundbrook catch wind that there's a dragon running loose in the countryside, they get the wrong idea and the stage is set for a fight to the death. So it's up to Kenny to ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Kenny & the Dragon
Sharnie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
After another night of reading six picture books to my five year old sister, I decided that I should try her on a chapter book. So I set out to find her first chapter book, and on that day I found Kenny & the Dragon. I borrowed it on the spot and we began that night. I am so glad that this book found us, it was the perfect introduction for her to long books.

I knew of Tony Diterlizzi's other works, however I had never read them.

The characters are endearing to the extremes, the story sweet and th
Miranda Reads
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Another month, another tierlist! While you probably know where this one ranks, check out the BookTube Video to see the rest!
The Written Review:
description

A full stomach allows the brain to be hungry for common sense.
Kenny is a rabbit and just loves learning.

And when there's someone new who settles nearby, he's ecstatic (at first)...but it turns out that the new person is actually a DRAGON.

Oh no.

And the local community decides that the dragon has to go.

...Only the problem is that Kenny bec
Jessica
An adorable book with fun illustrations about a bookish young rabbit who befriends a very large dragon. Great for reading aloud.

Reread 2016: Got a new copy for Christmas, as ours had inexplicably disappeared! Love this book. The illustrations are so beautiful, and the story is a great take on The Reluctant Dragon. The kids loved it, too.
AJ (the.booknerd.reads)
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, read-2017
This book was so WHOLESOME and honestly the perfect pick-me-up after a tough few days. My heart is literally so happy you have no idea.
Wanda
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: real-books, 2020
13 SEP 2020 - Complete cover love! The dragon, Grahame (like the cracker, except with an "e" at the end) is ever-so-handsome. Kenny and his penny-farthing are to die for.

Upon first meeting Grahame, Kenny believes Grahame will kill him. Grahame replies, " ... I am more what you'd call a 'Renaissance fellow.' I like to see the world and savor it, not destroy it." There is a lesson to be learned here.

14 SEP 2020 - Grahame shares his thoughts on Beowulf - "Hmpf! This Beowulf fellow had a severe ang
Allie
I read this to my 11 and 5 year old boys. We loved the story and pictures. Cute!
Heather
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book mainly because of the sweet cover! I love dragons!
And it only doubled my excitement to see that it was written by Tony DiTerilizzi a co-author of my favorite children series, Spiderwick Chronicles.

Besides being about dragons, I loved that Kenny was a 'stand-up' kinda of rabbit! He had friends of all types including adult friends. He stood up for what was right and saw value in solving his own problems with his own brain power! And his solutions are thought out, fair and ha
Ahalya
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
yet another inspiring book from the kid's school!
kid's takeaway :
One Man Book Club
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Each school year, our school district picks one book and gifts a copy to each district family for a community read-along. It's my favorite program! Sometimes the books are duds, but they generally do a pretty good job with their selection. This year's read was Kenny & the Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi of Spiderwick Chronicles fame.

It's a winner!

Kenny would rather read and hang out with his friend George, the librarian. The ot
Emory
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I saw "Kenny & thee Dragon" at my local library and picked it up solely based on the fact that it was by Tony DiTerlizzi. I have been a fan of his artwork since my days of Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. His illustrations have an unmistakably recognizable style, and even things that are supposed to be disturbing have a warmth and familiarity to them when he puts them on paper. So of course I had to see what kind of story he could attach to that.

As the title states, it's a boy meets
Wyatt Packard
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Kenny is an adventurous rabbit and lives in the sleepy farming village of Roundbrook. Kenny is an avid reader who always has his head stuck in a book, a trait the others in his school finds odd. They aren't interested in the tales of knights or dragons that Kenny finds fascinating. One day Kenny's father comes home and tells of the dragon he saw on their nearby hill. Kenny of course wants to run out and see this real live dragon himself. Kenny's mother allows it, as long as he finishes his homew ...more
Melissa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are dozens of books about kids making new friends and looking past outward appearances, but this one takes the cake. A bookish rabbit named Kenny meets a dragon named Grahame and the two become fast friends. Things get complicated when Kenny’s only other friend, George the local bookseller, is hired by the king to slay the dragon.

The short book is packed with great life lessons: finding nonviolent solutions to your problems, respecting your parents, talking out your problems with others,
Abby Johnson
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
When young Kenny Rabbit finds a dragon hanging out on the hill behind his house, he's afraid at first. But once he gets to know Grahame, he realizes that he's found a kindred spirit and a best friend. When townspeople discover the dragon and insist on destroying it, Kenny has to figure out a way to save his new friend without hurting any of the townspeople. Gorgeous illustrations improve an uneven story. I liked the writing for the most part, but Kenny's voice and the tone of the book seemed to ...more
Mikayla
Every once in a while you stumble upon a book that is yours. Yours in the sense that it occupies a teeny tiny piece of your soul and you have absolutely no chance of dislodging it.

It may be a children's book, it may be one of the shortest pieces on your bookshelf, it may just be a little bit silly, a little bit giggly, and yet you have to reread it every few months because this book is yours and it makes you happy in a way that dissecting Shakespeare doesn't quite reach.

Grahame and Kenny have
Cole
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book because of the characters, Kenny a quiet young rabbit meets Grahme a peaceful dragon looking for peace.When people start learning about Grahme a chaotic twist starts. The author leads you on a journey that you realize Kenny has a plan! The story shows much more than just a cover and words, it shows an unknown adventure!
Bettie
Mar 22, 2014 marked it as wish-list
Recommended to Bettie by: Wanda
Look at that penny-farthing on the cover.
Summer
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I had been wanting to pick up another DiTerlizzi book since I read The Spiderwick Chronicles a couple weeks ago, so when I saw this at the library today and saw that it was a retelling of The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame, which was one of my favorite reads last year, I had to pick it up! It was just delightful!
Justyn Rampa
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another short book with lots of pictures that we tried for Ozzy at bedtime. I think this one was very successful as Ozzy was very engaged and had lots of questions. Questions about both the plot elements and characters but also about the lessons the author was trying to teach.

It was a delightful read, that could have had a touch more female representation.
Loretta Grant
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. We both loved it. It was a beautifully written tale of a little boy protecting his new best friend. It dealt with not believing stereotypes and had good descriptions of feelings or emotions that young children might not understand when they are feeling them. We will definitely be keeping this book and I imagine we will reread it again. A 5 out of 5 for us both. 😊
Lauren Hall
I loved this chapter book! I would recommend using this for my students in their independent reading time. Its about a hare and dragon who befriend each other and explore the idea that what you hear isn't always true. This book is definitely for older readers anywhere 3rd grade and up!
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Young Kenney the Rabbit meets a dragon on the family farm and they strike up an unlikely friendship despite the community's apprehension of dragons. Whether intended or not there are several lessons for children in the story that is suitable for youth in the elementary grades and reluctant readers. This was a free review copy through Goodreads.com. ...more
Jenny
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute story. We listened to this on CD and didn't care for the narration. ...more
Liz
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun short audiobook to listen to with the kiddos.
Ankana
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
If only the book hadn't ended with the young squirrel, Charlotte, proclaiming she'd always wanted to be a damsel in distress. That put a damper on my feelings about the book. ...more
Completely Melanie
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Review on my Wrap Up Vlog
Erica (storybookend)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons, 2019-reads
This was a cute little read. I remember reading and liking The Spiderwick Chronicles when I was younger, so I wanted to read this other book by DiTerlizzi. Nothing spectacular, but still a fun novel about a rabbit who has to save his friend, a dragon, who the villagers fear will torch their homes and crops. And it has adorable pictures inside 😍
Jenny Leeds
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet book! Another winner on the Battle of the Books list! The illustrations are so sweet, the themes are poignant and it’s a story that we all can learn from.
“As they took off down the hill, the rabbit and the dragon, their laughter could be heard dancing and swirling about on the wind.”
By Roses and Words
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I received this book at work, and the moment I saw the cover, I knew I had to read it right away. It was an absolutely adorable story, one that teaches young readers not to judge a person (or, in this case, a dragon) by what you hear or read. Not all dragons wish to burn down villages and eat people or sheep. The dragon in this book, Grahame (like the cracker but with an e at the end), is quite fond of reading, playing the piano, reciting poetry and eating crème brûlée. I think this is the perfe ...more
Stina
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
You know those books that you really want to love, and you do like some little parts of them, but overall you just can't say you liked it? This was one of those books for me.

I liked the dragon, Grahame. He has amusing potential, and ought to have his own book.

The illustrations are lovely, charming and whimsical. It would have been great if the book included more drawings, because really, I enjoyed them more than the story.

What is the target reader age group? Young children (I'm thinking six/seve
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Kenny Rabbit has always been a little different. While most in the tiny farming town of Roundbrook are, indeed, farmers, he is a perpetual bookworm and dreamer, always with one fanciful notion or another in his head. But now it appears that he may be just a little too different for the citizens of Roundbrook - after all, who on earth has a dragon for a best friend?

When the villagers learn of the dragon running loose over the countryside, they immedi

• Soft Rain: A Story of the Cherokee Trail of Tears
  • The Very, Very Far North
  • Walls Within Walls
  • Not If I Can Help It
  • Wildfire
  • Turtle in Paradise
  • The Hero Two Doors Down: Based on the True Story of Friendship Between a Boy and a Baseball Legend
  • Where the Watermelons Grow
  • Where's Burgess?
  • A Whale in Paris
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • Wish
  • Lightfall: The Girl & the Galdurian
  • A Thousand Questions
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick Chro ...more

Kenny & the Dragon (2 books)
  • Kenny & the Book of Beasts