Start by marking “Harrow County, Vol. 6: Hedge Magic” as Want to Read:
Harrow County, Vol. 6: Hedge Magic

Harrow County, Vol. 6: Hedge Magic

(Harrow County #6)

When a haint comes to Emmy asking for help, she's surprised to learn that one of her oldest friends may be turning against her. While Emmy has been focused on dealing with threats from the outside world, perhaps a much bigger problem has been brewing at home. Collects issues #21-#24 of the award-winning series!
Published October 24th 2017 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Harrow County, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harrow County, Vol. 6

David Schaafsma
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-horror
Well, well, well: The sixth volume of the harrowing Harrow County comes into my hands, just in time for Halloween, heh heh heh. Emmy is a good witch in this creepy but also somehow tender southern gothic tale, protecting her town, trying to keep her haints in control. Until now, when friend Bernice loses Lovey and fears Emmy might not be as good as she seems. The two are set against each other, facing, among other things, an angry keyhole ghost together.

The set up for the next volume is a group
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jumping from the story in volume 2, to this one volume 6, felt like a bit of a mistake. However, I really wanted to read this volume since this is a series that I quite like.

It took a while for me to get into the story, to be honest, mostly because I haven't read a Harrow County volume in a while and obviously reading this volume much has happened since I read Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told.

However, Hedge Magi is a pretty good volume, can be hard to read this graphic novel without any previou
Chad
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Something very bad is coming to Harrow County and it has all the haints terrified. Bernice thinks that the evil approaching might be Emmy even though they grew up as friends. This book has them at odd throughout until the real evil is revealed at the end of the volume. Looks like things could get very bad in the near future. Highly recommended.

Received an advance copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
James DeSantis
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harrow County is heating up as a old friend might betray Emmy!

Bernice has lost her mentor. After the Snake keeper who taught Bernice everything dies, someone begins to turn her against Emmy. Blaming both the witch and the Haints for the death of Lovely. In doing so Bernice goes after Emmy, but will Emmy fight back? What will happen to our hero and also the many haints starting to follow her?

Good: The art as always works so well. It's so unique to this series, so special, I can't help but love
Sud666
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
The creepy, gothic rural setting of Harrow County continues in this good 6th volume. I gave this one one less star due to the rather artificial conflict between Emmy and Bernice. After all Bernice has seen Emmy do for the people and haints of Harrow, for her to be taken in by another witch and try to cuase harm to Emmy truly made me question her intellect as well as her character.

As to Emmy, whom I actually do like, I understand she is a good person.She truly is in her actions and overall aims.
Shadowdenizen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read as single issues.

Emmy has been one of the most compelling characters in this series for me, and I'm glad we get a bit more focus in her in this arc.

This remains one of the best comic titles you're not reading.
Thomas
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been digging Harrow County quite a bit. The characters, the atmosphere, and the creepiness of the series has hit all of my interest levels, and I've enjoyed seeing how Bunn and Crook develop the series over each arc. Some of the arcs have been less interesting than the others, but the growth of the series overall has been fun to watch.

Hedge Magic returns to a thread the creators started a couple of arcs back, where Beatrice begins to learn her own magic, and feels a divide growing between h
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good volume.
Caitlin

In Hedge Magic, many of the threads that had been introduced in the earlier volumes of Harrow County are brought together again. Bunn and Crook are gearing up for one hell of a showdown in this town plagued by nightmares and demons. The paths on which Bernice and Emmy have been walking have placed them on different sides and as they each try to do what’s best for Harrow County, they come closer and closer to head-on collision. In Hedge Magic, friendship may not last forever.

This was one of tho
Kayla (onthefritz)
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-Read April 2019

"Sometimes a shadow was just a shadow. Emmy knew that much to be true. But on occasion… in Harrow County maybe more so than anywhere else in the world… a shadow was something more.”

description

*****************

Yesss this story is so addicting, I cannot stop! Can't wait to own all of the physical copies!!

(view spoiler)
Jessica
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this collection/chapter of the story is my favorite thus far. I love a good old fashioned disagreement between friends only to show how important they are to each other. Bernie and Emmy are the best of best friends I have encountered in fiction and this is their theme song. This volume is proof even at our worst we should and hopefully all have that one friend who is the fiercest friend. Come rain, snow, sleet or snakes we know that person loves us flaws and all.
Molly
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bernice is back! Hooray! Sort of? I'm so desperate to see what becomes of Emmy and Bernice's friendship . . . and, well, of Bernice, and of the haints. The design of the goblin haints is both terrifying and adorable.
Carolyn
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This one had ups and downs. I loved Emmy and Bernice, but missed some of the horror elements. Still, I'm very much enjoying this series and can't wait for the next two volumes to come in for my at the lib.
The_Mad_Swede
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Coming more or less straight out of the previous volume, Abandoned , the four-part arc deals with someone hunting haints, and the latter turning to Emmy for aid. It also deals with Bernice, who is now an apprentice of Old Lovey's, which may set her on a collision course with Emmy, despite their friendship. And perhaps there are parties who would like to see such turmoil flourish.

The mythology and storyworld keeps expanding, and it is a real treat to be along for the proverbial ride. The volume
Dimitris
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
You like good stories with some amazing as fuck watercolour artwork that you'll be checking twice each page and be at awe?

Then keep reading this series like I do!
Jessica T.
So much going on... I don't even know where to begin. Usually comics become stale after being published for awhile.. NOT THIS ONE. Harrow county is continually improving with each volume. I cannot wait for volume 7.
Chloe
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Myk Pilgrim
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror
I never don't love Harrow County - It's by far my favourite contemporary horror comic.
If you're a horror person and you haven't read these yet, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Nancy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review (plus V5) can be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/03/0...

Hedge magic is a term that can mean someone who can use a weaker more informally taught nature type of magic. This comes into play as Bernice who has been taught snake handling magic by Lovey, confronts Emmy. But both Bernice and Emmy have been played the fool by Odessa, one of the witches that seemingly is good but isn’t. When the witch family learn that their plot to turn the friends against each other faile
Donna
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Emmy and Bernice find themselves at odds.

I love this series - it is truly dark, gothic creepiness. Emmy and Bernice are (or is that were?) friends. They both think they're doing good for the county, so what happens when they have different objectives? I adored Priscilla, the goblin with stupid brothers. I like that Bernice is able to teach Emmy some things she wasn't aware of (that keyhole ghost was pure evil). There was a very odd jump in the narrative that threw me off a bit but I already have
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great us the middle name of it.
Paolo Macri
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The family is back and they have turned Bernice and Emmy against eachother!

After te death of Old Lady Lovey, Bernice thinks that Emmy has something to do with it from the help of her haints, and is coaxed into believing it by The Family and Odessa tricking Bernice into attacking Emmy. Luckily Old Lady Lovey's spirit comes back to stop them before it goes too far, but just before The Family brings Kammi back from the dead.

This volume is building towards what seems to be the final arch of this se
Travis
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I read the previous volume, and I kind of wish I had reacquainted myself with it and maybe the one prior before reading this one. Still, I enjoyed this volume quite a bit and felt like it was getting back to the sort of storytelling that initially drew me to this series, as well as more details on some interesting haints.

It did feel a bit rushed almost, and especially the fourth chapter felt like I was dropped into a conflict that I hadn't really seen the start of, so
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, comics
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This may not be "out of the ballpark" original, but damned if it isn't consistently good. The artwork is fantastic, with Tyler Crook at the realm. There's an interesting bit where Emmy and Berenice are pitted against each other. However, the end with the resurrection of a certain character is a bit eye-roll inducing.
James
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of Emmy's oldest and dearest friends turns against her and Emmy is forced to choose sides and friends. After the revelations of volume 5, this Southern gothic gets back to its strong roots and origins in the hauntings of the past and strong characters.
Alex Sarll
The backwoods gothic saga's two young witches come to blows in a volume which feels a little light on story. But it is doing double duty not just as part of the ongoing tapestry, but as a parable of how easily good people can be set at each other's throats by the real bastards.
Maggie Gordon
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Damn, things are getting complicated for poor Emmy as her best friend is tricked into working against her. There's some terrific magical work going on behind the scenes, and this book does an excellent job of being creepy and suspenseful. I look forward to seeing the fallout of this volume!
Erica
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aw, Priscilla...loving getting to know the haints. Wasn't sure about the Bernice arc...kinda filler to get to next pivotal point.
John
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haunted by anger and misunderstanding.
  • The EC Archives: The Vault of Horror,  Vol. 1
  • Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon (Fatale, #5)
  • Revival, Vol. 5 : Gathering Of Waters
  • Afterlife With Archie #7: Thanksgiving
  • American Vampire, Vol. 7
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Pieces on the Ground (Season 10, Volume 5)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 4: Winter Graves
  • Eerie Archives, Vol. 1
  • The Black Monday Murders, Vol. 2
  • Ghosted, Vol. 3: Death Wish (Ghosted, #3)
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • Delphine
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 2: Dark Endeavors
  • Harvey Kurtzman's Marley's Ghost (comiXology Originals)
  • Providence Act 2
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more

Harrow County (8 books)