Start by marking “The Art of Horror Movies: An Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
The Art of Horror Movies: An Illustrated History

The Art of Horror Movies: An Illustrated History

This magnificent companion to The Art of Horror, from the same creative team behind that award-winning illustrated volume, looks at the entire history of the horror film, from the silent era right up to the latest releases and trends. Through a series of informative chapters and fascinating sidebars chronologically charting the evolution of horror movies for more than a ce ...more
Published September 1st 2017 by Applause Books (first published October 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Horror Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Horror Movies

Eric
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what reader doesn't enjoy a nostalgic romp through an illustrated history of horror art?

An enjoyable, fun book on art in horror.

Highly recommended to those that love horror and comics and horror art.
Brian Sammons
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing art book showcasing horror film posters from the silent era to today. Truly stunning art showing that modern movie posters just suck. This is an art book for serious fright film fans, and if that sounds like you, then consider this treasured titanic tome a necessity.
Kevin
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Horror movie buffs will find THE ART OF HORROR MOVIES impossible to resist. This beautifully designed book is full of amazing, vibrant and varied artwork--more than 600 images. These include classic, iconic and rare horror movie poster art, as well as paintings and illustrations created for comic books, magazines and novelizations. Some of the most striking art comes from present-day digital artists who salute and reinvent vintage horror film art.

Stephen Jones and his contributors--film critics
Rachel
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-horror
The Art of Horror: An Illustrated History is a great coffee table book. It is filled with incredible images and an astounding collection of horror movie posters. Each chapter centers around different monsters/characters ranging from traditional vampires, to dragons, to ghosts and aliens. Simply put, it's very thorough on its collection of horror monsters.

I loved flipping through this collection. From an artistic standpoint, the images were magnificent. I also loved seeing how many films were cr
Luis Dion-Dussault
Adoré!

Le travail de recherche m’apparaît vraiment intéressant.

Des œuvres tirées du cinéma muet aux années 2010, et pas seulement les films incontournables.

Plusieurs analyses de la société viennent mettre en contexte le cinéma d’horreur produit à travers les différentes décennies.

A lire!
Jessica Schmitt
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for anyone who is a fan of either/both horror or/and dark art. Horror has such a rich history that is beautifully displayed here. Not only is the artwork awesome, but the information given about the genre and it's roots in general is great too. A perfect pairing of my two favorite subjects.
Horror DNA
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zigzag
Allow me to start this review a little differently: buy The Art of Horror Movies today! I won’t grab my thesaurus, but there really are only so many ways I can express how gorgeous this book is. Editor Stephen Jones has compiled an impressive array of artwork, including both contemporary original works and classic marketing advertisements, such as film posters, lobby cards and magazine covers from decades past, some dating back to the silent era. Over 600 color images fill the glossy pages, each with ident ...more
Jess
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the text of this book to go along with the stunning artwork. It was a nice touch to have contemporary art paying homage to the classic films to supplement the book. Especially when you got into later chapters when modern horror posters where more photos and photoshop than thoughtful graphic design.
Pardon me, my grouchy old man side is showing. Classic horror > modern horror
Horror DNA
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-j-macready
When I first heard about the book The Art of Horror: An Illustrated History, I wasn't sure what to expect. The book could contain a million different things. Movies, comics, posters, paintings. It turns out to have all of those and more.

First and foremost, it's a gorgeous volume measuring a big ten by eleven inches. It features heavy gloss pages designed with stunning images and well-researched topics for each chapter. But it's certainly the art that you'll buy it for, and it's well worth it
John Roland
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Fantastic visual survey of horror art going back to the 19th century, through the Weird Tales era, and straight through to today. Full color reproductions of book/magazine covers, fine art and movie posters, including lots of work from new artists creating original work and/or riffing on old creatures.
Josef Ploski
If you are a horror movie fan or an art fan I can not recommend this book highly enough. It tells the story of the genre and all the players. I thought I new horror films but there are so many films I had never heard of that I want to explore and seek out. 5/5
Arin
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed there was not more newer horror. A lot of the art was from pre 1950.
Richard Anderson
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun, with rare and generous illustrations.
Alex Mayfield
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cool look into the history of horror using unique imagery. Genre fans will find it to be a nice book for the coffee table.
Bill Wallace
This is such a great book that I feel a little bad offering criticisms, but I would have liked it much better if just a few things had been different. On the positive side, hundreds of rare images are included with learned commentary to set them in context in the relatively brief timeline of horrific illustration. There is a good balance between classic "roots" and more modern illustration and the range of subject matter is okay. On the critical side, the essays are overlong and very uneven. Som ...more
j_ay
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
A nice collection of some Horror themed art, although for a "history" book there is far, far (far far far) too much modern "art", most of not all which dominates in size the classic stuff. And the quality of it is really bad. Much digital nonsense.. with insipid quotes from the "artists". Entirely a waste of space.
The text writing is mediocre at best.
So, a nice flip-through book but not an important one.
Jolie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Not exactly what I was expecting (not even sure what I was expecting but this wasn't it), still a very nice amount of horror movie history all the same.
Rose
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides the illustrations, which are crisply reproduced and mainly in colour, this book has a lively and informative text.
Ana Jay