Start by marking “After She Vanished (David Dunnigan, #1)” as Want to Read:
After She Vanished (David Dunnigan, #1)

After She Vanished

(David Dunnigan #1)

'A cracking debut thriller packed with great characters that leaves the reader wanting more' Irish Independent

He turned away for a split second. And she was gone.

Eighteen years ago David Dunnigan took his beloved six-year-old niece Beth on a shopping trip. They stopped on a crowded street to hear some buskers. She took her hand from his for a split second. And when he
Published September 19th 2017 by Hachette Ireland

To ask other readers questions about After She Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After She Vanished

Start your review of After She Vanished (David Dunnigan, #1)
Pauline
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After she Vanished by S A Dunphy is about David Dunnigan a criminologist who also works with the police to find missing people. His young niece disappeared in a shopping centre may years before while in his care. David finds it hard to interact with people but tries to help people in need. I found David a likeable character. I did like the story but was disappointed that the book finished with many unanswered questions because there is to be a sequel. I would like to thank NetGalley and Hachette ...more
Sara
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

18 years ago, David was looking after his niece when she vanished without a trace. Shaping his life, and still reeling from the events of that day, David now works as a special consultant in missing persons investigations. When he meets Harry, a young boy searching for his missing parents, David is drawn into a murky world that threatens to dig up memories from the past. Can he finally find out what happened to his niece?

I'm very
Trish at Between My Lines
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Dunnigan is a series that I’ve seen others rave about time after time. And I kept noting to myself to read it. So I’m way behind on the hype train, but I’m here now, and delighted with the journey that I’ve had with After She Vanished by Shane Dunphy. Even though I’m dizzy and slightly terrified after reading it.

MY THOUGHTS ON AFTER SHE VANISHED

Guys, I absolutely loved this book, and literally spent the day reading it. When I was half way through, I went and bought the next book in the
Bridget
This is the first book in the 'David Dunnigan' series and it was such a gripping read! David or Davey as he is known is a criminologist. He blames himself for his four-year-old niece, Beth, vanishing whilst on a shopping trip in Dublin with him many years ago.

I totally adored this novel which I found very readable. S.A. Dunphy has drawn some fantastic characters in this book. I liked the pace of Davey's investigation and the timely releases of information which kept up the momentum. The plot
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Hachette Books Ireland for a review copy of After She Vanished, the first novel in a new series featuring crimonologist David Dunnigan of Dublin's An Garda Siochana's sex crimes unit.

Davey is asked by his boss to look into five missing homeless people who have disappeared at different times over the past few months. With no common denominator or links between them Davey is at a bit of a loss but decides to do what he does best, examine the detail and see where
Louise
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
J. Taylor
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Miley and The Priest were my favourite by far.
Linda Phillips
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The narrator on audio did a great job, sounded like there was more than one narrator as the accents were really well done. By the end of the book I really wanted to read the next book in the series.
Amy Young-Brown
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recently went on a trip to Ireland, and what kind of book blogger would I be if I didn't buy a novel written by an Irish author? So, after spending some painstaking time at a bookstore in Ireland, trying to narrow my choice down to one single read, I settled on a book described as "Cracking", and ended up with After She Vanished by S.A. Dunphy.

First of all, I absolutely loved reading this on my trip, because the places mentioned, I could picture in my head! How fun is that! I also really
Ileana Renfroe
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Description

Five people living on Dublin's streets have gone missing and criminologist David Dunnigan has been tasked with finding them. His search leads him to ten-year-old Harry, living alone in an abandoned warehouse, who has been waiting days for his parents' return. Dunnigan knows more than he would wish to about unexplained disappearances. Almost twenty years ago, his young niece
Julie Spratt
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Evans
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say besides I loved this book. I loved the characters, the pacing, the writing, the storyline. There was nothing to fault. This book took me on a very nostalgic journey as well with all the songs mentioned and reminded me of my Dad. The music in this book was the soundtrack to my childhood and it brought back some many wonderful memories.

This is book 1 of the David Dunnigan series and what a gripping read. David or Davey as he is known by his friends is a criminologist and a complete
Sheenagh Casey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really got stuck into this and finished it in two days!
David Dunnigan is in a bad place mentally after the disappearance of his beloved niece nearly two decades ago. Socially isolated he connects with Miley. Miley has Down's Syndrome and is an extremely well written character. It shows the struggles of him dealing with exiting resedential care after being there for most of his life.
As part of his work David starts to volunteer with a homeless charity and connects with the priest in charge and
Noelle Kelly
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After She Vanished is not my usual type of book, but it is excellent. After hearing the author speak about this upcoming book at the Wexford Literary Festival, I bought it as soon as I saw it released on the Kindle. Dunnigan is a criminologist investigating a case of missing homeless people in Dublin. The case is close to him to him as years earlier his niece Beth went missing during a Christmas shopping trip with him. Dunnigan is a strange character, with obsessive tendencies, who clearly has ...more
Nom
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Yvonne Rowland
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The protagonist Davey is a breath of fresh air from the usual crime novel hero - honest, kind, blunt and naive. Add to that the lovely Miley, a down syndrome lad who befriends him and gives him advice on his love life; Fr Bill, a priest who helps the homeless and acts as an inner city vigilante and Diane an ex Defence Forces ass kicking love interest - the perfect crew to tackle human trafficking! Great blend of humour, action and some heartwarming and heart breaking ...more
Melissa Ellis
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Fast-paced and Interesting

It has been a long time since I've read a book that drew me in like this one...I sped through it in a day and absolutely loved the characters and fast pacing. I'm so eager to read the sequel.

There were some very dark moments that were handled well and I truly could not believe how apprehensive I became during some of them... I cared about the characters that much! Great storytelling.
Mary
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is nailbiting reading from start to finish. I love a good thriller and author S.A.Dunphy did not disappoint. Although I do not write in the genre, I love to read it.
After She Vanished is everyone's worst nightmare come true. While being responsible for a child, she disappears, goes missing and no leads whatsoever to go on. I had to pick up the next in this series immediately to know more of the story, it too was brilliant.
Aoife
Very readable but quite ridiculous too. Started off okay but the way the whole thing progressed was less than impressive. And the characters were most unrealistic.
And minor as they may seem, the fact that a character who is 41 got a pound coin when their first tooth came out is really bugging me... Ireland didn’t introduce the pound coin until 1990 by which time that person would have been in their teens!
Sharon Doyle
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I loved this book from the minute I started it couldn't put it down the twist and turns keep you guessing what is going to happen next he characters I have feel in love with and became totally involved in what would happen to them can't wait for the next one 2018 can't come quick enough
Cheryl Bellingham
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable book. You get a real understanding of Dunnigan through the various parts of the book. As you read you see people penetrate Dunnigans protective armour as he makes friends. The only bit I felt slightly disappointed with is the fact that you really have to read the next book
Lisa Bennett
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was more interested in where the girl went as to where everyone else went. I found it boring. I kept drifting off, wasn't hooked, and just wanted it to end, and I still didn't get any answers. part of me wants to read the next one just to see if I get the answers missing from the first one, but considering how pants it was, not sure if I can be bothered.
Abeer Asad
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

A great book! Didn't want to put it down for a second! Can'wait to read the next book in the series! I bought the book after this book called 'When She Was Gone' and never knew there was a book before it until I read a review on Goodreads! So glad I read the reviews!
Ruth Parker
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great effort for a debut novel. I enjoyed the suspense and the story line. I will totally read more from this author in future.
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review,
Nicola
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another far too wordy tome. Interesting ideas but honestly, doesn't anyone edit their own work these days, or have someone else edit it? Pare it down, go for the bone, muscle and arteries, instead of all that flabbiness in print?
Elizabeth Mcnair
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A criminologist loses his niece years ago and still can barely function of the grief that he experiences. But he has a new case and he ends up with an unlikely cast of characters to help him solve it. Very well done.
Victor Borgeest
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
damm good story have to wait till 2018 for sequel
Denise
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't too sure about this book, but the relationship between David & Miley changed my mind.
Guess I'll have to move on to the next...
Tracy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Gemma
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book, the main character especially, can't wait for the next one.

• Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Family
  • Once, Twice, Three Times an Aisling
  • The Confession
  • The Hiding Game
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
  • The Boy They Tried to Hide: The true story of a son, forgotten by society
  • Rewind
  • Almost Love
  • The Darkest Place (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #4)
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Forget Me Not
  • Woman in the Water
  • The Girl Who Couldn't Smile
  • The Boy Who Fell (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #5)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • Little Liar
  • A Thousand Roads Home
Pseudonym for author Shane Dunphy.

David Dunnigan (3 books)