Start by marking “Deceived: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Deceived: A True Story

Deceived: A True Story

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This powerful memoir introduces student Sarah Smith, whose peaceful existence was shattered one day in 1993 when an IRA bomb exploded near her college. In the aftermath of this terrorist attack, Robert Freegard, a barman she had recently befriended, revealed his true identity to Sarah and two of her friends—he was an MI5 spy investigating IRA cells in the area. Because of ...more
Published April 28th 2008 by Orion Publishing (first published May 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deceived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deceived

Nicola
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Deceived is a true crime book with such an amazing hook that I’m surprised it hasn’t been turned into a Hollywood movie:

In the early 90s, at the height of the IRA bombings in Britain, student Sarah Smith is approached by an undercover police officer, Robert, who tells her that her life is in danger from the IRA. He convinces her that she must flee (with him and two others of her student friends) and live anonymously, on the lam, in order to save her own life and the lives of her family.

EXCEPT.

Th
Susieville
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this awhile ago but couldn't remember the name. This is a true story that had my interest from the beginning. From Amazon: This powerful memoir introduces student Sarah Smith, whose peaceful existence was shattered one day in 1993 when an IRA bomb exploded near her college. In the aftermath of this terrorist attack, Robert Freegard, a barman she had recently befriended, revealed his true identity to Sarah and two of her friends—he was an MI5 spy investigating IRA cells in the area. Because ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
What a weird story. I read a Dutch translation of this book and am too lazy to add it on goodreads. maybe another day. (done)

Anyways, lend this from the library and did not know what it was about so when I started reading it and realized what was happening, I am sorry but it was so unbelievable to me. Not that she is lying but how can you be so dumb? I don't understand. And her parents and others giving all that money. How stupid.Normally I can see 2 sides but in this case it is hard.
So I did no
Lorraine Marshall
May 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hated this book, but on the other hand I had to read it, albeit speed read it. It made uncomfortable reading and left me feeling so angry it was untrue. All I know is numerous people had their lives ruined by this monster, none more so than Sarah and he more or less went free after having two life sentences quashed. It does not give you any confidence in the British Penal system to read accounts such as this.

Hopefully Kate Snell will understand that this is not anything derogatory in respect o
Adrian
Story of Sarah Smith and two college friends who were brought under the control of a man claiming to be an MI5 agent tracking IRA bombers. He wasn't. Students are co-opted and brainwashed. Smith lived under this man's control for ten years. Phenomenal, horrible nightmare. Must be read to be believed.
Ozaru
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanet-kent
A horrifying tale, particularly because it sounds too awful to be true, yet I know some of the protagonists, and know it to be true. The scariest thing is that with Freegard around, it could indeed happen to anyone - truly a case of 'there but for the grace of God...'. The writing is a tad melodramatic (Daily Mail style), but it's engrossing.
Rosie
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing story. Worth a read.
Janlou
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Poorly written, hard to believe, true story.
harriet mcarthur
Denise Sharp
May 26, 2016
Lynette
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
What can I say? Wow, this is so bizzare and quite frankly very frightening how someone can
so completely brain wash intelligent people. An interesting reading, if a little confusing in places, but just as equally disturbing and I feel so sad for all the people duped by this mongrel. He should never see daylight again.
Tonya
May 02, 2012
Mandy
Aug 15, 2016
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.